• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the playstation controllers just because of their size. They always fit better in my hand and it's more effortless. If I could get an Elite controller at 3/4 the size I'd jump on that though.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Ah, the ancient symmetry vs asymmetry battle.

Weak arguments there, OP. I prefer symmetry and thus prefer the PS controllers (and the Wii/Wii U Pro controllers).

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
That's a weird line of reasoning, OP.

"Xbox Controller is better than DS4 because Stadia controller and Switch controller"

To answer your question:

The DS4 is far superior than the Xbox One controller for me, because of

- Symmetrical Sticks
- it's not unnecessary clunky and thick
- way better features and layout
- also better D-Pad
- internal battery

I really struggle playing with the xbox controller. I just can't enjoy it.

Maxpower45

Jul 6, 2019
I've been using playstation controllers all my life and at one point had an xbox never really like where the analog sticks where just felt uncomfortable, but then again everyone has there own preference

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
PS controllers never gave me crippling hand cramps for a week after playing a Capcom fighter for a single evening. Can't say the same for Xbox.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
the ds3 was a much better control than ds4 imo
this gen i vastly prefer the xbox one controller

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
I think the XB1 controller is far better but is it really that hard to understand that some people prefer the DS4?

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
For games requiring constantly clicking L3 to Sprint, dualshock 4 is just a pain to play for long session.

I ended up having to use an adapter to use X1 controller on PS4 .

Asymmtric layout is much better. My favorite is switch pro controller.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I like the Dualshock more than Xbone controller AND Switch pro controller. I can understand that the cable is ridiculously short but it doesn't bother me at all.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
On PC, PS4 controller has gyro, and a touch pad. Xbox doesn't, though the elite has grip buttons so that's something, no gyro hurts though. I love and use gyro assist for all my games that make sense to use it for accuracy on PC, but via Steam Controller (the best controller).

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Because...I have symmetrical hands?

And does it occur to you that some people just find the xbox controllers uncomfortable to use???

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
It's all opinions, but one thing confuses me. You use the Google Stadia controller as proof that the XBOX style controller is superior to DualShock's because its design is inspired by the XBOX style of controller, yet later you say that you hate symmetrical sticks and don't understand how people can play FPSes with them. If anything the Stadia controller is inspired by the DualShock with its symmetrical sticks. The only thing it has that the XBOX controllers has is AXBY buttons.... buttons that were on Nintendo controllers before XBOX existed. So why use the Stadia controller to try to prove your point?

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Don't care for the extra weight of the Xbox One controller and DS4 dpad is better for fighters and 2D games.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Ah, the ancient symmetry vs asymmetry battle.

Weak arguments there, OP. I prefer symmetry and thus prefer the PS controllers (and the Wii/Wii U Pro controllers).

symmetry vs asymmetry was always a red herring.

it's the ergonomics that matter. If the controller is comfortable and the ergonomics are good the stick position is irrelevant.

I swore up and down asymmetrical was better until the DS4. Sony proved me wrong.

EDIT: symmetrical does have one objectively superior advantage, and that's dpad placement for retro games.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Ergonomically I believe the DS4 to be far superior than the Xbox controller. I can play for hours on the DS4 unlike the Xbox controller. Like an hour and a half in and my hands start to cramp up and what not.
that's the only reason I will always prefer it. As far as aesthetics and build quality, the Xbox pad is easily the best.
Asymmetrical vs Symmetrical doesn't matter to me. I prefer symmetry but I can play on both fine. Non issue to me.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Objectively superior dpad
L1 R1 also objectively superior to bumpers (though X1 improved from 360)
Lighter
Symmetrical analogs (yeah subjective but I obviously prefer it)
Share button

I just picked up an X and I will say I'm VERY impressed by the build quality of the revised controllers. They feel great.

Oct 25, 2017
I go back and forth between the two, sometimes on a game-by-game basis. Generally I think the One controller is better, but I prefer the Dpad and L1/R1 of the PS4.

qa_engineer

Dec 27, 2017
xbox elite analogue sticks are too loose, mushy. ds4 analogue sticks require some force or intent to move. Also the DS4 just feels better in the palms. Build quality is certainly better in the xbox one controller but you know to each his own. Also, something something opinions something something butt holes and everyone has them.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
The Dualshock is great for Sony exclusive games.

Anything else though. Sheesh.

For me the Xbox pad is more comfortable for longer periods of time especially if you have bigger hands.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've never held an Xbox one controller, so by default DS4 is better. The switches pro controller feels too big for me.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just bought an Xbox one, while I love the stick placement I find the controller too heavy, uncomfortable to hold and the face buttons are garbage. It's a major downgrade from the 360 and the PS4 controller.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The DS4 is a terrible controller in general and I'm surprised so many people like it. Different strokes I guess.

My beefs: stupid light bar, the worst battery life of any controller I ever used, awful sticks, those awful sticks are also NOT offset which is a weird decision, the touchpad is terrible.

Also it's a very small controller which I get can be good for people with smaller hands which is the only point that makes sense to me.

OP
OP
Liquidsnake

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
The DS4 is a terrible controller in general and I'm surprised so many people like it. Different strokes I guess.

My beefs: stupid light bar, the worst battery life of any controller I ever used, awful sticks, those awful sticks are also NOT offset which is a weird decision, the touchpad is terrible.

Also it's a very small controller which I get can be good for people with smaller hands which is the only point that makes sense to me.

I completely agree on every point.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 controller is a disaster and a downgrade compared to ds3.
Abysmal battery life with an annoying fucking led that reflects on the TV. Horrible concave sticks. Disgusting "ergonomic" design that forces my hands into an uncomfortable grip.

Ds3 is like a Japanese chefs knife: clean minimal design without any useless ergo curves. It doesn't force me into a grip, it lets me invent my own. I barely play on my PS4 anymore because I hate the controller so much.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
I tried playing SF4 and tekken on xbox controller. They're sucks. Sorry, i prefer DS4, and honestly, it much easier to claw on DS4 for me since Xbox controller is too big for my hand

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the actual 'bad' official pads have been the ones with stupid ergonomic gimmicks, like the Gameube pad, or the Duke, or the Wii remote. You can tell because their traits don't get passed on. I'll throw the Joycons under the bus too, as a prediction. Neither the Xone pad or DS4 suffer from this, it's pure preference or cheerleading.

Except for the D-pad. Every official pack-in that isn't a DS4 sucks with the D-pad.