• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
It's possible they've never used an XB1 controller. Or they're lying to you and themselves because they're suffering from deep deep deep fanboyism. Obviously.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I guess if you really like symmetrical sticks one would prefer the DS4.
I also think the D-pad is better on the DS4..

Outside of that everything on the Xbox One controller is superior to the DS4 imo.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
because it has a near 0 deadzone on every default controller that doesn't require me to buy an elite to not notice the gap.

360 controller was the only thing to come close to that 0 deadzone.

The negative to that is, the PS4 controllers can have noticeable drift much much sooner than any xbox controller.

Also the d-pad is 300% better.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Would love to know if this is sarcasm
I had hoped it was obvious.

Symmetrical sticks all the way. I loathe assymetrical sticks.

I'll never understand this way of thinking. If your desire was to always have your hands be symmetrical, why wouldn't you want the sticks to be where the D-pad and face buttons are now? Putting the sticks were Sony does ensures your thumbs are never in their natural resting position, which causes constant strain on the hand. Only Nintendo understood this, but for whatever reason chose to abandon that design. I also am left to wonder if people who demand symmetry freak out whenever they're confronted with a game that requires dpad or face button usage along with an analog stick.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
I would never argue about that is about preferences and hands some people have small hands or prefer it for some type of genre like shooters for Xbox and action or rpg for PS4.

Rimon-Hanit

Oct 27, 2017
their are all fine, i'm personally just use to it but they all kind of figured out the controller thing already they are all just fine

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

Sticks are in the wrong place. Touch pad. Motion controls. Dpad.

This gif supposed to be sarcasm about the bold

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
They're good controllers, Brent.

I'm fine with either, but I'm still confused by the argument that stivks should be asymmetrical, even for games with the actions on the shoulders.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
It has a gread dpad and doesnt have analog triggers that screw me in fighting games and are only useful on racing games, a genre that I dont like that much.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There has never been a dualshock that I could use comfortably for extended periods of time.
Symmetrical sticks are fine, but as close together as dualshocks tend to put them is no good for my hands. I liked the symmetrical sticks on the Wii U pro up at the top those worked well.

I much prefer Xbox and Nintendo controllers on the whole

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I find the Xbox One controller to be immensely more comfortable than the DS4. But ergonomics are very individual and others will like the DS4 better. That is perfectly okay to like something else.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I think we need to have a discussion about what you think a toy is, and what you think an electronic device is (spoilers: they're different.)

A toy is something designed and intended for play. Video games are inherently toys. It is okay for adults to play with toys, and for toys to be designed for adults.

Thanks for listening to my Ted talk, have a good day.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
the first time i ever touched a ps4 controller at a demo kiosk i literally laughed. you can instantly feel the "quality" of the plastic.

Also people are so weird about offset sticks. as a person who went directly from mouse and keyboard to a ps2 controller, it never felt natural to me and seemed like i had to try extra hard to keep my grip steady without moving one of the sticks.

and then as soon as i picked up an xbox controller, it was the first time i didnt miss mouse and keyboard.

i mean, i guess I'm kinda hating here, but also i genuinely dont understand the appeal.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, I'm having trouble keeping track of your goal posts. Let me know when you bring them back to the discussion, in the mean time I'll go play with my toys.

When did I move the goalposts? I asked a followup question designed to clarify your points. That's something i'm allowed to do in a discussion.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I worship at the altar of symmetrical sticks. If Sony ever forsakes them, I shall turn my back on gaming forever and lead the life of a wandering monk, dancing like a leaf on the chaotic winds of a world without balance.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Man... I grew up playing the NES controller any thing after that feels like butter. Both of these controllers are fine. I personally prefer the playstation controller, always have

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
i work at best buy and this guy just walked up to the game controllers and poked them and then laughed for an hour. security had to remove them

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
When did I move the goalposts? I asked a followup question designed to clarify your points. That's something i'm allowed to do in a discussion.

You're trying to obfuscate the discussion because you don't want to be wrong, and I guess that's okay. You don't want your video game console that was designed specifically to play video games as its primary function a toy, and while it's okay that you hold that opinion, it certainly doesn't make it remotely close to true.

Video game consoles are designed to play video games. They are toys with alternative functions for secondary entertainment (i.e. video streaming, communication, web browsing on occasion).

Cell phones and computers, however, are electronic devices who's primary function is not to play video games, however, as a secondary function they can play video games. Computers are more of a grey area, as you can build one with the specific intent to play video games, in which case it becomes: a toy.

If you find the word toy offensive, that's something you'll just have to come to terms with. It isn't pejorative. It's just an accurate description of the product. It is a toy. Sure, it's sold under the "electronics & games" tab on consumer websites, but it is still a toy, and it will always be a toy. I'm totally comfortable with that, because when I bring someone into my office / game room, I often tell them to "enjoy all of my toys".

They are toys.

Don't ever call my console controller a toy ever again!!!!!

It's just such a weird word to get hung up on, yenno? I'm 37 years old and I am 100% comfortable acknowledging that I still play with toys. Toys can be made for all purposes and age groups, and at all price ranges. I don't get why people can be embarrassed to call them toys when they're trolling through a dungeon as a female warrior in an iron bikini throwing magic fire out of their finger tips.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
It is personal preference. I know some people IRL that love the DS4 and others don't. For me personally, I much prefer the Xbox One Controller since I prefer the stick layout and the L/R triggers are so much better than on the DS4.

I have owned a PS4 or PS4 PRO a few times always preferring to go back and do most of my gaming on my Xbox One X. I got another PRO recently and also bought the Brook Adapter and been using my Elite v1 with it. It is a game changer for me. I had GT Sport before and after a few races I improved my lap times on almost all of the tracks using the Elite v1 versus the DS4. At the end of the day it is personal preference. For me the Elite v2 is the best controller ever made, but I know a shit ton of people that if Sony made a Elite DS4 they would jump all over it because they prefer the stick layout.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
You're trying to obfuscate the discussion because you don't want to be wrong, and I guess that's okay. You don't want your video game console that was designed specifically to play video games as its primary function a toy, and while it's okay that you hold that opinion, it certainly doesn't make it remotely close to true.

Video game consoles are designed to play video games. They are toys with alternative functions for secondary entertainment (i.e. video streaming, communication, web browsing on occasion).

Cell phones and computers, however, are electronic devices who's primary function is not to play video games, however, as a secondary function they can play video games. Computers are more of a grey area, as you can build one with the specific intent to play video games, in which case it becomes: a toy.

If you find the word toy offensive, that's something you'll just have to come to terms with. It isn't pejorative. It's just an accurate description of the product. It is a toy. Sure, it's sold under the "electronics & games" tab on consumer websites, but it is still a toy, and it will always be a toy. I'm totally comfortable with that, because when I bring someone into my office / game room, I often tell them to "enjoy all of my toys".

They are toys.

I don't feel *nearly* as strongly about this as you apparently do, so I'm just going to withdraw from this, and any future conversation with you. goodbye.