• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How many

Votes: 6 0.9%

Votes: 57 8.3%

Votes: 421 61.0%

Votes: 80 11.6%

Votes: 45 6.5%

Votes: 33 4.8%
  • Disgaea

Votes: 48 7.0%

• Total voters

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts III blew my mind when they revealed Buzz and Woody would not only join your team, but they would be joining and battling at the same time even with Goofy and Donald in the team, meaning 5 characters all at once. Only Sora's playable, but still, 5 characters!

Give me 5 member battle parties, or 4 at the very least. That's why it's called the PS5, it stands for
Playable
characterS

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Could we get a title change for those who don't go by sir or mam?

And I'll take all of the above, with a preference for three-to-four party members.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
3-4, anything more is exhausting.

I limit my party always to 5 maximum in any game that has bigger parties (Three Houses, cRPGs etc)

robot

Oct 27, 2017
4 sometimes feels like too many, but 3 more often feels like too few so I'll go 4.

Whatever the creators designed for. Even a 1-person party can be interesting with the right design.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Suikoden II's 6 character party is the Platonic ideal for a turn-based combat system. For an ATB style I think 3-5 are all valid choices.

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
Size doesn't matter as long as I'm able to swap party members on the fly instead of being restricted to certain points

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
screen.jpg

But actually you may wish to check out I Have Low Stats But My Class Is "Leader", So I Recruited Everyone I Know To Fight The Dark Lord for a party of 99.

Sabortin

Oct 28, 2017
For me, 5 is probably the best. I think it's because I really like having front/back "lanes" and gameplay that goes along with that. It's harder to make that work with a smaller count. It also lets you make more decisions that a traditional 3/4 party member team. However, my favorite party size is the one where I'm always using all of the members available. I hate having characters in reserve (even if they still get exp or w/e).

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
3 appears to be the "scientific" perfect party size, based on what every series is doing these days.

But I prefer 4. Just enough to make things awkward and break out of the fighter/mage/healer triad.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
That BoF4 is pretty misleading as it's only 3 active.

Anyway I voted for 4.
Breath of Fire 4 does have the cool quirk that occasionally the camera will zoom out to actually show the back line characters standing behind your front three. They do pitch in with attacks and stuff too.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Usually four is the sweet spot, though I also like it when it's taken to extremes. For instance, here's The Last Remnant's eighteen-member active party:

7-U52A-01.jpg

(TLR fans will note the two union leaders here who can summon a Remnant onto the field, making it 19 total!)

And sometimes all you need is one:

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a fan of 5, 4 as runner up. Let's you get some interesting synergies and specializations with 5.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
2-3 is my preference. Less menuing, less management, more on the ground strategy.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
It all depends on how the systems and encounters are balanced. I think 3 became the "default" in part because the "fighter-healer-tank" set-up is easy to work with.

I think you really need to start working in things like field positioning and combination abilities once you hit five - and that takes a lot more work to build encounters around!

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
7? Think bigger. Pretty sure Lufia: The Legend Returns on GBC had parties of 9 characters:

LufiaScreen09.jpg

And Labyrinth of Refrain lets you command something like 15 characters in one party - though they're arranged into subunits of 1-3 characters apiece and you generally don't control each one directly:

maxresdefault.jpg

(that may be covered under the "Disgaea" option since it's some of the same folks, though, I think)

Ghil

Oct 27, 2017
I like 4, it feels balanced.
I love when game have switch characters in the middle of a fight, like FFX or BoF4, or a front and rear, like Suikoden.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
3 is enough, but 4 is preferred. More than that and there's too much overlap.

Like, it can work in tactics games, since you need more than character of a given role to cover more ground. But what am I gonna do with seven characters in a line? Have only one person per element? That's just lame: I'd rather have fewer customizable, multipurpose characters.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
All of them, 3 or 4 at front row the others at back row so I can switch on the fly

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Voted 6 thinking it was the entire party because i can't read :p

4 is the best, but 3 is also okay.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
At least 4, if not more. Less than 4 just isn't enough to play around with different class combos and synergies.

It's also weird when you have a big party of people traveling together, but then when a fight starts, half of them just sit out.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One row of 4, or 2 rows of 3. etrian odyssey does 3 front, 2 rear (+ the other way around) which I kind of liked too

Sep 7, 2018
Oh I guess you mean in battle. 5 is fine like in Final Fantasy IV. It would be nice to see Final Fantasy go with a five party again.
I also like single like in Pokemon.