• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Hey so I've been thinking about seeing a therapist for a little bit now. I've been working out and getting stronger and better looking, but that's when I noticed my brain was weak for better or less haha. I've got problems that I really don't know how to overcome. It's not like the body where I can just eat more and lift, I'm pretty sure I have psychological problems that are a lot harder to fix... and to top that all off I'm addicted to weed so I want to try and cut that too šŸ˜‚

Anyway I just want to know from experience on here from people that have been to one. I'm a broke college kid that is on there parents insurance but doesn't want them to know I'm seeing a therapist because I'm like 99% sure most my problems stem from them, so I would be paying out of pocket. Is it still worth it to go see one or should I just keep trucking and eventually it'll work itself out?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A competent therapist is invaluable. Sometimes you just need a place where you don't feel pressure of judgement to vent everything out with someone who gets it so you can put it all together for yourself. Think of it like doing mental math vs writing it out.

Also weed withdrawal + lifestyle changes on top of problems you're already having can take you for a ride and the ride sucks

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
There are therapists that will charge to scale based off of income for starters. Google is your friend in this regard. If you have any insurance, you can try calling your cardholder services too. Also, yes they can be very beneficial. It's a great first step to want to get get help, the next step is to act on it.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
My therapist has been key to me seeking to improve my life; especially the negative thought patterns my brain tends to go through.

The techniques they provide can go a long way to helping your mental state.

That being said, I use a co-pay through my parents health insurance, so I'm not sure what you should do in regards to not having to pay a ton of money per session.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
Hard to know without knowing what outcome you are looking for.

Saw a therapist for 2 1/2 years and it helped loads, but I had a steady job and could afford it. Should have been seeing one before, but I was also broke and in college. At minimum it gave me a safe space to talk and let me feel more comfortable taking chances knowing I wouldn't be stuck in my own head with whatever consequences happened.

I clicked well with the first one I started seeing, but having started it up again, it's taken going through one or two before I was with someone that felt right.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to sound silly, but a therapist's value is based almost entirely on what you put into it. There are certainly good ones and bad ones, but even a bad one can't help you if you're not going to be honest and open with them.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For background: I've been seeing the same therapist for almost 10 years now.

Therapy is invaluable, OP. You will be able to open up doors that you never even thought possible and it really is a life changing experience to come out of therapy overcoming a really scarred moment in your life, or finally being able to pin point the root problem that has been causing you harm since you were little.

I want to make something very clear though.

Finding the right therapist TAKES TIME.

I know too many people who are constantly saying that they gave up on therapy because the 2 therapists they tried they didn't like. I got lucky and got my therapist on the first try. But other people can take up to 10 times, maybe even more. If you're serious about your mental health, you need to take your time to find the right therapist, otherwise you are either going to suffer through shit that you can't unpack, or you will get a therapist that you hate but stick with.

Oct 30, 2017
As has been mentioned, sliding scale payment options are available if money is an issue.

Therapy is beneficial but you must commit to it. The first couple of sessions will mainly be like an intake with the therapist asking general questions as well as establishing rapport with you. The point is to conceptualize your case; identify current emotional disturbances, evaluate any errors in thinking, and establish your goals for therapy. Also, depending on your area, you will find options for psychologists and clinical social workers. Both are licensed to do therapy.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
It depends on what you want to get out of it, but if you have realistic expectations, finding a good therapist is genuinely one of the best things in the world.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
or you will get a therapist that you hate but stick with

That's where I am right now. She just pisses me off. But the thought of finding a new therapist, making an appointment, going there and telling my entire story yet another time, maybe going there a second time if I'm not sure about them after the first time, and doing this all over again with another one in the worst case is keeping me from making the first step..

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Therapy can be amazingly helpful. Therapy is one of the main reasons I'm not an anxious mess at all times. It takes a bit of time to see the effects though so be sure not to expect miracles at the beginning. Be honest and open with them. It's definitely worth trying.

As others have said, there are quite a bit of therapists that do sliding scale payments.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
It's possible your school has free services you could take advantage of. I would look into that first.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A therapist is extremely beneficial, especially if you have trauma or suffer from mental illness (like addiction, depression, etc). Even if you don't, it's still worth going to maintain your mental health. I'm of the opinion that most people could benefit significantly from therapy.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's where I am right now. She just pisses me off. But the thought of finding a new therapist, making an appointment, going there and telling my entire story yet another time, maybe going there a second time if I'm not sure about them after the first time, and doing this all over again with another one in the worst case is keeping me from making the first step..

I can only say that finding the right therapist quite literally will save your life. Why suffer through a therapist you don't like all because you don't want to tell your story again? I think telling your story more and more helps you understand what's causing you problems. I've only had one therapist but I've told my story over and over to her because there's always details missed on the first and second rounds.

Don't be caught up in logistics. Be caught up in whether or not you really want to help yourself.

Oct 25, 2017
Changed my life, and for the better. First step is the toughest. Everyone should try it. More people than you'd think need it. It reaps huge rewards. Investing in your own well-being is the BEST investment I've ever made in my entire life next to a CPAP. :)

Seriously, gotta get you to find the right one. It pays monster dividends.

OP
OP
Thewonandonly

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Ya I'm definitely going to see one after the reply's I've been seeing. I just need someone to talk to honestly. My parents are depressed to I'm pretty sure and I feel like I use all my energy to make there lives a little better but like no one uses any energy on me and it's fucking draining man...

Oct 30, 2017
If you are looking to terminate therapy with one therapist and move to another, you could consent to have your therapist's records released to the new clinician to minimize any impact on your progression in therapy. There will be times where you will rehash the same story, but that can open up the opportunity for a new therapist to offer fresh input.

Oct 25, 2017
Ya I'm definitely going to see one after the reply's I've been seeing. I just need someone to talk to honestly. My parents are depressed to I'm pretty sure and I feel like I use all my energy to make there lives a little better but like no one uses any energy on me and it's fucking draining man...
It's absolutely the right choice, pal. FWIW I'll be happy to listen if you want to vent in the meantime, but make that step! It'll also give you a great outlet and you'll be able to understand so much more. I would also say that what you mention in this message is what you should lead off with once your therapist gets to know you.

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Ive recently started visiting one occasionally, im not really in therapy yet but my therapist lets me visit once in a while already since theres no free spot yet.

It feels great to just talk about things and vent. Though while I dont question that shes qualified Im not sure if therapy is going to give me the results im hoping for in the long run. At the same time Im also not sure if im expecting miracles at this point... whatever I have to wait and see

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
You could always consider group therapy. These are usually themed--grief men and women's issues, etc. Those tend to be free or cheap--like 5 bucks per session. You can find them on Meetup.com.

They are not seen as professional advice obviously. But if you need to talk about things in a safe environment they can help.

NHarmonic.

ā–² Legend ā–²
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to keep going to therapy but i'm still a bachelor student, and every session is like 70USD in my country so nope.

Heavy Hushed

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on my 5th therapy session, so my therapist and I are still figuring things out on how best to help me, but on the whole been an absolute asset. At the very least it gives you someone to talk to no matter what. Depending on what you're struggling with and what your current situation is, that alone is 100% worth it.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Since we have HIPPA, your parents won't know to know you are seeing a therapist even if you are on their insurance.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
It can be really useful, i know i lot of people that had one and it really helped them! But it's not for everyone that's for sure

i really don't think it would do me any good, i already know all my problems and i have no issue discussing it with anyone... and advice and talking never helped me with those at all, because i know it all has to come from me to solve these.... having a therapist stating the obvious to me isn't really worth my time

Although it would probably have really helped when i was younger and didn't figured it out yet

I am considering hypnosis though, did wonders for my sisters and brother (real professional ones, not the bullshit you see on tv)

Last edited:

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
I will say, when I was in college seeing a therapist was probably the best thing I could have done. My suggestion is to see what little-to-no cost avenues you may be able to take. It's quite pricey, so be cautious on that.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think everyone benefits from therapy (with the caveat that it needs to be the right one. Going through a couple until finding the right one is not only okay but essential, you only get out what you put in so the person has to make you feel completely safe and worth putting your trust in) even those with generally good mental health. As long as they have had the right therapist ai have only seen positive results on both ends of the scale from a friend who is mostly well adjusted and put together who just needed someone to talk to and learn some coping so she didn't develop issues, all the way to my brother who gives his therapists (he has had two that he trusted and would still be with the first but he had no choice) most the credit in his evolution from a homeless man estranged from his family shooting heroin to a clean and sober family man reconciled with his wife and taking care of his wife and daughter both financially and emotionally, to all kinds of types in between.

TL;DR. As long as they get the right person I would recommend therapy as beneficial to everyone and anyone.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I went through a divorce recently and went to therapy. It didn't really help for me, but I know a ton of people who swear by it. Therapy is good, by not for everyone.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
At the very worst you will have a space to openly vent, without judgement, without concern of the other party's feelings or day to day place in your life. That alone can be worth everything involved. I'll speak for myself, but realizing how much I filter my thoughts and feelings to the people around me, even those I love and trust, and having a venue to turn that filter off is revelatory. I worry about what the people around me will think, do, or feel because of the maelstrom in my head, but my time with my therapist carries none of that baggage.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I went through a divorce recently and went to therapy. It didn't really help for me, but I know a ton of people who swear by it. Therapy is good, by not for everyone.

This right here. I have been to therapists both individually, and for couples therapy. I don't feel like they helped much. I think I've seen 4 of them in total, at some point it's just like "well, this doesn't seem to be for me".

That being said, If you think it might help, you should try it out - it's the only way to know, and you might learn something in the process. You have to go in giving it an honest try, though.

The only thing I can't get behind is this tautology that therapy always helps, and if it doesn't, you just didn't get a good therapist.

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
I have traumas/suffer from a chronic illness and have anxiety. Started seeing a therapist this year and to be honest I wish I started earlier. Give it a chance, I understand now that mental health/well being is key to living a good life. Hope you find the right therapist and it helps.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very, but only if you are honest about yourself with them. If you hold back, lie, and hide the truth you are just wasting your time and money.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Very if you're super duper open.. sometimes there /is/ something wrong with you and your therapist will guide you to the way to recovery.

Oct 26, 2017
Frustratingly I can't really tell what's working or what's not, beyond surface level things like being able to talk with them comfortably or not being put off by their particular approach. I feel like I'm going in circles.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Therapy is one of the best investments I've ever made in myself, right after college. Maybe even #1. I try not to be evangelical about it but I honestly think most people would benefit.

But you only get out of it what you put into it.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
If you find the right fit and put down your defenses, extremely.

After my first session with a therapist since I was around 14, my heart felt light in the sort of way that can make a 40 minute minute drive feel like 10. My second session was even better.

The process of genuinely putting yourself out there, having everything you say placed into a deeply empathetic context, and then being told things you should probably hear can be incredibly, incredibly fruitful. Just two sessions of that shifted my view of myself in a more productive direction.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If competent, having someone completely outside of your life to work things over with is completely indispensable. All the best OP.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
A good therapist is priceless , if I didn't go to mine I would probably go crazy , it is always good to have a professional to talk to and let out stuff that you can't talk about with family/friends.