• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
For me it was my terrible misconception that I looked good with long-ish hair, I simply don't have the face/head shape to pull it off, not today or back then but as a stupid teen the world was my bitch and I thought I looked fly as fuck, I really wish I could go back in time and slap myself until I grew some sense of style. Pretty sure my mom was able to breath once I finally decided to cut it short.

Think this, but on a much less attractive specimen

Flop.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
back when i was like 12, i told my mom i was a hardcore gamer in a desperate attempt to convince her to let me use the PC for more than two hours.

she laughed at me.

it didn't work, i'm not a hardcore gamer

Last edited:

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
my parents bitch slapped stupidity out of me whenever I got into a weird phase so I didn't have that, that's why I got into computers and now do that (software developer, not hardware) for a living.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
I was a hardcore/scene kid/whatever the fuck you wanna call it in high school. It was the antithesis of what my religious parents liked and I reveled in it.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I dyed my hair blonde, wore Airwalks, listened to 311, and stopped going to church. I also spent way too much time in my room building computers and writing.

ephexia

Feb 23, 2018
I was a punk teenager. I'm 40 now and not much has changed tbh. I'm still a bit juvenile and rebellious, just in a calmer and more socially responsible/acceptable way

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Honestly I don't think I'm all the different than I've been since middle school, not sure whether that's a good or bad thing. Clearly I just nailed myself right out of the gate.

I guess I was a bit more goofy, class-clown-like, but that's probably just being a normal pre-teen.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I got really into the punk music/scene, skateboarding, bleaching my hair, and smoking tons of pot from like 13-16. It was my way of coping with my mother being deep in the throws of extreme alcoholism.

Still love punk and it started a life long love for skateboarding. Also my mom is 15 years sober now ❤

I had my emo/hardcore phase too from like 16-19, which I guess was more embarrassing. Long swoopy hair and girl's jeans. I also thought I was VERY cool. But going to shows every week and traveling around with my friends band was absolutely amazing and I remember it as a great time in my life.

Last edited:

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I thought I was really going places when I was given channel Operator level 499 on #Teens on ChatNet, an MIRC network. That was one away from channel owner, the coveted 500. I had so much power.

Those were simpler times.

"I HAVE to spend all day on here mom,this is my responsibility!"

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
Mine was also hair related. Grew it long. Parents weren't happy about it (tbh, it looked terrible). Nothing major though.

They harped at me about gaming too, but that wasn't a phase.

The irony is that I haven't had a haircut in 6 months (thanks covid), so I'm starting to regress to my high school look...

Oct 27, 2017
had long hair and listened to a bunch of thrash, but my dad would just be all "hey those dudes can play" and then put a mahavishnu orchestra album on, so it didn't really work

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I had a drastic stylistic change.

I DO remember being asked "haven't you grown out of video games yet?" "Why are you still playing them?"

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
I mean, if we're being honest, John Krasinski can only pull it off with a beard. Unless he has a beard, he also can't do long hair.

As for the original question, I didn't have one.
I would grow out my hair for like 6 months, like every other kid of my generation, wear it like Jim for a while, and then cut it really short, and proceed to let it grow for another 6 months.
Was never into piercings, earrings, eccentric haircuts or certain fashion styles. I was as bland as you can get.
I was smoking cigarettes, a little weed and there and skipping classes every once in a while but my mom didnt know, so that doesnt count as a phase.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Big liberty spikes, or a mohawk sometimes, dying my hair all crazy colors, wearing chains and torn clothes, cutting my own hair, just being a general punk shit. Probably only lasted like 14-17. Never did drugs or drank until I was 21 though. It was just my "fashion". I'm glad I did it, it was a lot of fun, and I'm happy to have had fun with my hair before I started going bald at a young age lol. When I was done with the punk hair I did keep it about shoulder length for a couple of years.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
"No, mom, nobody forced me to be gay. No, mom, I wasn't molested. No, mom, you didn't do anything wrong."

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Yeahhhhhhh, I kinda went through a goth phase in middle school and first year of high school. I was never really popular, so it seemed easier to just push people away by acting stranger than I was.

Mellowed out by sophomore year, thankfully.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Outwardly, long parted hair.

The rest was me being exposed to online communities at a late-ish age where I felt I could let every bottled up impulse out. I had no online savvy. I was randummm XDXD. I was moody and weird. Fortunately(-ish) those websites are kaput and my shame is hidden, as is my joy.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Mom sweared i would like boys at some point, and that i was just reall really friendly with girls. She stilll says that actually.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
YOU JUST DONT UNDERSTAND THE DADA INFLUENCES IN EE CUMMINGS POETRY MOM

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my parents were like, whatever as long as your grades are [italy's equivalent of straight A's] i don't give a fuck

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The colour palette of my entire wardrobe was red and black. I drew the anarchy symbol on whatever public wall I could. I had no patience for any music that wasn't punk. This was in my early teen years. Around 15 or so, I got into Iron Maiden, started playing guitar, and I gradually shifted from "punk kid" to "80s hair metal kid." I continued to think that I looked good with long hair up through my mid 20s and didn't finally admit to myself that I was no Aragorn until my hairline had receded far enough back to be unsalvageable.

These days I kinda just roll my eyes at adult men who insist that 80s metal bands who cut their hair and started experimenting with their sound "sold out." Still listen to punk and metal though.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I never had one. If anything it was the opposite. My mom was a troublemaker in her youth and she expected me to be one too, mainly because she was expecting me to go through a "boys will be boys" phase. But instead I was playing Yugioh in high school with my friends.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Other than the baggy clothes, I never had one. But everyone wore ill fitting outfits up until 2008, so I don't feel bad.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
My "phase" was not being girly enough. My mom would yell at me for things like not wearing earrings. Still don't wear them since I'm mostly allergic and they are physically uncomfortable.

I never had a goth or emo phase. It just seemed like a lot of work as far as buying clothes and accessories and putting on make-up. My mom made getting (and keeping) clothes that I picked out incredibly stressful, so it was easier to just not bother pushing those limits. And I've always been too lazy to do make-up regularly.

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
I told my mom I'm an atheist when I was around 18-19. I'm about to turn 45, and I don't think she has ever believed me. We just don't talk about it.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
To be honest, I was a shy boy with no rebellion tendencies.

Because I knew better. Wasn't worth the drama.

My brother, however...

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Never really had one. Didn't discover the furry fandom until after high school though. Bit of a bullet dodge tbh.

High school was hard enough already D:

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know if it's phase or just a kid being stupid.

When I was around 7 yrs old I was convinced I was going to be a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle when I grew up. Live in the sewers, fight crime and eat pizza. My mom tried to tell me you can't be that, but no one could convince me of my destiny.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
I've pretty much been the same since I was 12. I'm more mature and responsible of course but I still pretty much like the same shit.

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
I had a mild ~sad one~ phase where I wrote bad depressing poetry, but it didn't extend past that. I was an honors student who behaved, never really lashed out or anything, and pretty much stayed that way until I graduated from college.