• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Got the game on Switch but this has bugged me every time I load the damn game. E1M1 has like multiple secrets but I can only figure out the false brown wall near the exit and the room with the mega armor. That's pretty much it. Always a 66% find rate every time. Is this supposed to make sense or do I have to hug all the walls in every level? I don't personally care about collecting everything but I want to know if there's a rhyme or reason to the secret rooms in this game. Is it the in-game map because that vector graphics makes no sense either.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Ask the other kids on the playground.

Pretty sure these old games relied on brute-forcing or trial-and-error.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Depends on the level. Listen for doors/lifts that activate as you're moving around. Or look at each side of columns or in alcoves for switches. Sometimes, look for walls that're discolored. It varies.

And yes, it sometimes helps to look at the map.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just spam the open button all over the place. A lot of the time the walls are discolored or look off. Sometimes, there's secrets inside of secrets. Most of the secrets I've found I knew of 20+ years ago. I have most of them memorized by now.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
Usually just looking around carefully or listening carefully you'll find switches/levers to push or you'll hear something move like a lift or door once you go through an area. Other times its usually a slightly off texture or misaligned texture IIRC.

You don't need all the secrets to succeed either. They're nice bonuses but actively going after them doesn't really give you much of a benefit.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I'm about to finish my playthrough of ultimate doom. I just run around spamming interact button on all the walls. Also, listen for door/elevator noises. Sometimes they move when walking somewhere specific.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
I remember sliding along walls and slamming the space bar (open) looking for hidden rooms. And yeah, sometimes switches will be on the backs of columns or hidden out of plain sight. Some great memories.

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
bang on the interact button on every wall like I did in the 90's (old doom doesn't care about quality of life)

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need all the secrets to succeed either. They're nice bonuses but actively going after them doesn't really give you much of a benefit.

Soul spheres and blue armor can be the difference between success and failure, though. Especially on higher difficulties.

Also, in regards to OP: Explore. Or, alternatively, realize you've been playing Doom for 25 years now and just use a wiki because ain't no one got time for that anymore.

(I just picked up the PS4 port today, so this thread's timing is great for me, lol.)

Oct 25, 2017
So if you played Doom back in the day you would probably trade tips with other people. There were guides too of course. Some of the secrets are pretty obtuse (e.g. the secret levels are pretty difficult to find). It's all doable though. A few things to note:

1) Check odd looking walls (like the brown wall near exit of E1M1)
2) Some items are in plain sight, you need your map to find how to get to them them (like the Soul Sphere on E1M1)
3) Hidden switches often open areas (like in the first room of E1M1 there is a switch that opens the outside)
4) Listen for hidden walls/elevators (E1M1 in the acid room has a hidden one you may not catch visually, you might need to hear it move when you pass over the trigger)

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
think of it like castlevania and its wall meat

look for secrets when you need them

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There are a few different ways to trigger secrets, and the game uses a few different tricks to clue you into where they may be. You're right to look for different coloured walls or misaligned textured (though sometimes, that is just a mistake), but the other big one is to listen for sound cues, as activating something, or even just moving over certain triggers, may change something in the environment. A lot of the secrets in Doom are fairly intuitive, few feel like they are just randomly placed. There will generally be some sort of clue. One even has an arrow pointing to it if you look at the map, for example. Some secrets are also activated by shooting.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
It's not easy on the small switch screen if you're playing handheld. Felt a lot easier to explore and find stuff when I was playing on pc a long time ago

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you play enough classic Doom you start to get a sense for how they hide secrets which lets you search for them more efficiently. Its a lot of trial and error. But the levels are also short enough that you can replay them very quickly.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
You just got to explore the whole map and try everything. Also getting the automap shows you hidden areas when looking at it so that can help a lot. Sometimes you will just get lucky.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Be back in the time where it was the only game you had and you played it obsessively.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Got the game on Switch but this has bugged me every time I load the damn game. E1M1 has like multiple secrets but I can only figure out the false brown wall near the exit and the room with the mega armor. That's pretty much it. Always a 66% find rate every time. Is this supposed to make sense or do I have to hug all the walls in every level? I don't personally care about collecting everything but I want to know if there's a rhyme or reason to the secret rooms in this game.
There's 3 secrets in E1M1, you've found two. The one you are likely missing requires you to do backtracking and listen for a sound queue, there's a lift that lowers (temporarily but repeatable) when you walk pass the common entrance to the zig-zag acid room, the lift of which is located in another secret you've already found.

Basically, secrets are designed in 3 main key ways: Backtracking, oddities in the area (misaligned or different textures, broken patterns in the area, etc) and sound queues. There has been the odd timed or one time secret but that's incredibly rare. Rare enough to not even be worth wondering.

Is it the in-game map because that vector graphics makes no sense either.
The automap only reveals secrets in one specific edge case, the computer area map (which will show unexplored areas in grey), and only if the secret is designed to show up in the first place. Otherwise, secrets are typically hidden (behind false walls marked as red in the automap like normal walls) or seemingly inaccessible areas.
As for understanding the automap, it has 3 main colours: Red, yellow and brown. Red are walls, yellow are ceilings with different elevation, and brown are floors with different elevation. The automap only shows lines you've seen, and only updates while you aren't looking at it (so moving around while in the autmap won't reveal new lines).

OP
OP
chaobreaker

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's 3 secrets in E1M1, you've found two. The one you are likely missing requires you to do backtracking and listen for a sound queue, there's a lift that lowers (temporarily but repeatable) when you walk pass the common entrance to the zig-zag acid room, the lift of which is located in another secret you've already found.

Basically, secrets are designed in 3 main key ways: Backtracking, oddities in the area (misaligned or different textures, broken patterns in the area, etc) and sound queues. There has been the odd timed or one time secret but that's incredibly rare. Rare enough to not even be worth wondering.

The automap only reveals secrets in one specific edge case, the computer area map (which will show unexplored areas in grey), and only if the secret is designed to show up in the first place. Otherwise, secrets are typically hidden (behind false walls marked as red in the automap like normal walls) or seemingly inaccessible areas.
As for understanding the automap, it has 3 main colours: Red, yellow and brown. Red are walls, yellow are ceilings with different elevation, and brown are floors with different elevation. The automap only shows lines you've seen, and only updates while you aren't looking at it (so moving around while in the autmap won't reveal new lines).

Seems pretty intuitive map design for a game from 1993 ngl.

Always wondered if the engine automatically generated maps even for custom wads

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Always wondered if the engine automatically generated maps even for custom wads
It's automatic but it's not "generated" in the typical sense. What it's showing you are the actual lines that make up the map geometry, and there's even map specific properties you can apply to the lines, like the secret flag which I mentioned before which shows a line as a solid wall, masking what is behind it. As well as flags to always show or always hide some lines. The rest of the behaviours are automatic and dictated by how the geometry is assembled, such as sector heights and if the line is two sided. In some geometry that has floors or ceilings move into a level position with its surrounding sectors you can even see those change in realtime.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Use your eyeballs for most of em, some of em you gotta use your ears.

IDeWzIR.jpg

ilJilrB.jpg

kyfbckR.jpg

LUvVypm.jpg

B0chhE8.jpg

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
To OP's defense, some of secrets are trial and error. I believe there's at least one instance in episode 1 where you need to shoot the wall instead of pressing the "use"-button (there are no hints in the map that there is a hidden area either) and there is no reason why you have to shoot that wall in the first place unless you know there is something there. Then there are some timed secrets are tougher to access/find due to movement being more clunky in console versions because of controllers and timing for secrets going back to original state being unchanged.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
To OP's defense, some of secrets are trial and error. I believe there's at least one instance in episode 1 where you need to shoot the wall instead of pressing the "use"-button (there are no hints in the map that there is a hidden area either) and there is no reason why you have to shoot that wall in the first place unless you know there is something there. Then there are some timed secrets are tougher to access/find due to movement being more clunky in console versions because of controllers and timing for secrets going back to original state being unchanged.

The "shoot the wall" trigger is easily the worst telegraphed secret in the game and a rare case of an outright failure in the game's design philosophies. I remember watching a LP with John Romero where he explained how that one place in ep1 where the walls open from shooting at them was designed with the intent of being being discovered by accident while you're spraying bullets at the enemies in there, and then going "aha, so this is a thing too". But my shooting being the cause of the wall opening was never something that actively registered with me.

Hands up if you were stuck at the starting room in The Courtyard in Doom 2 for way too long before figuring out what to do.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Out-of-place wall discoloration, obvious misaligned textures and so on. Sometimes you need to keep an ear to the ground because walking at a specific location may or may now lower a floor. Best example is E1M3. From the starting point you go left and you enter a room with a couple of shotgunners, to your left you can see an out-of-reach Soulsphere. In the room you are in there is a, non hidden, switch that opens up a wall leading to a secret area. A couple of steps inside the secret area and you can hear some elevator coming down, you can then run west inside the secret room and if you're quick you can enter a secret room leading to the soulsphere, this wall only comes down upon stepping on a specific step (but it can be repeated.) Do note, upon leaving the soulsphere secret room ANOTHER elevator comes down (you can see it) this lead to a switch that opens up the secret exit. (accessible from the very first room across from where you start the level)

Of course, it doesn't happen very often, most of the time, for secret areas, you'll need to look for weirdly aligned textures and such. If you want wall-humping go play wolfenstein 3D, this game is the very definition of secrets-within-secrets (one map famously has 100+ secrets within one secret)

Bulebule Yeah, that would be E1M2 there's a wall you gotta shoot that lead to the chainsaw secret. Easy to miss if you don't spray the wall with bullets as the devs seem to have intended.

Last edited:

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Back when it was first released, you found a couple of secrets by accident and then realized there were secrets all over the place and went exploring.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Soul spheres and blue armor can be the difference between success and failure, though. Especially on higher difficulties.

Also, in regards to OP: Explore. Or, alternatively, realize you've been playing Doom for 25 years now and just use a wiki because ain't no one got time for that anymore.

(I just picked up the PS4 port today, so this thread's timing is great for me, lol.)
Back then you would rely on save scumming and perfectly evading all the enemies or running towards and exit.

It was a different paradigm in design.

The music in E1M1 has to be an homage to "Master of Puppets".
There is a widely circulated quote from Romero I think that Bobby Prince being a lawyer made him knowledgeable about exactly how much he could rip off well known tunes without landing in trouble.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
It's really not unlike the first person dungeon crawlers that came before it. If you wanted to be extra thorough you checked every wall tile.