• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I was about to try again with a request at the end of Q1 this year, but shortly after we started working from home mid-March the company referenced needing a PPP Loan, and a bunch of clients falling off, since then they've been updating us on performance each quarter and from where I'm sitting the worst of it seems over and we're back to be alright while still being under pre-covid projections.

I've had the defeatist "well I'm lucky to even have a job so don't bitch" mindset. But seeing the salary discussion online today, being reminded of a completely bullshit article the company I work for is quoted in talking about equal pay 3 years ago and knowledge that a lot of my peers a level higher make $13,000 more than I do makes it hard to take for another year especially when I'd honestly just be asking for another $3,500.

I've talked to some coworkers and while they are encouraging, they also won't say their number. My estimate of the $13,000 difference is going off of the bottom of the salary range in the jobs we've offered in the past year since they asked us to share those job links and the information is right there so maybe difference is even more.

If I make a request it won't be until December, if I'm even here still. But what's your experience, is it worth the effort or is it just the year to be happy you even have a job?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think one key piece of information is what percentage of your salary does that $13k represent. I mean, no need to tell us, but if it's significant, can you make the argument that you're ready to take on the responsibilities of the next role up?

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I think one key piece of information is what percentage of your salary does that $13k represent. I mean, no need to tell us, but if it's significant, can you make the argument that you're ready to take on the responsibilities of the next role up?
My thing is that I'm underpaid for my current role. I'm basically asking to be paid the average for my job title.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Once I get my promotion (which got delayed indefinitely due to the COViD stuff) I'm immediately shopping around for a new job.

The promotion is one of those "I guess we'll pay you more for the stuff you're already doing" sidesteps.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Our business has suffered so I don't even think it's worth discussing at the moment.
I was due for one before Covid. They say it's coming but I don't believe it.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Nothing changed at all for me so going to try to get a raise in September. Don't think I want or can get a promotion/title change though. I know I "could" be making a little more money.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
My job is in a hiring freeze, promotion freeze, and no annual raises this year. Executive took a 10% paycut and 300 people were furloughed. Not asking for a raise any time soon.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I was making $300 more per week while furloughed. It's probably time to move on from my job and find something better paying

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I just had my yearly meeting with my boss last week. Got the 6% raise on my salary i asked for but had to agree bonus payments will be frozen to 2019 levels this year.

I guess it depends on the overall situation. We had some people in administration get furloughed but i work in consulting so we bring in the revenue and nothing really changed for us except less travel.

Last edited:

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Wish I could give you some advice, but honestly I wasn't even able to successfully argue for a raise before COVID. Good luck.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It entirely depends on how much the pandemic affected your companies revenues.

If they are getting killed like most companies I don't see how it could be a good idea to ask for a raise right now.

But if your company's bottomline is not impacted then maybe go for it.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My boss is hiring another person for me to train and I'm working on revamping some of our graphics so I think I can get a ~$5k raise this year

Frester

Oct 25, 2017
I was able to get slightly more than 6% going into this year but that was based on busting my ass and real results all through 2019. Not optimistic I will get much of a raise, if any, going into 2021.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
....I'm supposed to get a significant raise. But with rona....I'm not sure if it will happen. Recently talked to my boss about it, but they aren't even sure about it either. But atleast they remembered it in all this mess, so that was something.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Jumped to a new job and was lucky enough to get a near 20 percent raise and they'll pay my cobra for two months until their insurance kicks in. I think it has to do with industry more than anything.

I would say - always be looking. Big jumps won't come from internal promotions and as you grow, you'll know more about what makes you happy. Don't be loyal, because they aren't to you. I made that mistake for too many years.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I was about to have a meeting regarding salary the week we got furloughed.

Yeah. I don't think that meeting is going ahead anymore based on what I've been hearing.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
I'm lucky in that I do software development so my job haven't been affected business wise at all. I got a 14% raise last year. I'm expecting 20% raise this year. But that's because I do a lot more than my job actually is. Plus if I left I could be making 50K-70K more.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
business as usual at my place, expecting an excellent review and a great raise this year

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I got a pretty minimal increase this year, but a pretty good bonus. Considering covid and the general economic downturn, I expect that next year will be worse.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i'm REALLY glad i fought like hell last year to position myself for a 7% raise & 16% bonus last go

my job seems pretty secure - and my team has succeeded so far this year. if i can nail the landing (and set my team up nicely for when i'm on paternity leave) i am going to fight even more for the next raise/bonus

in my eyes - i deserve another big year for killing it despite the pandemic

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My salary is dictated by years of employment per union rules.

That being said, fuck unions, they haven't done shit for me other than take my money.

Jun 10, 2018
I'm underpaid af in relation to my value, responsibilities, and comparison to peers who also hold my position. So I'm definitely going to request for more this coming December.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I got an 8.25% increase in a 3 year contract. Not great, but I'm not going to complain or question it. I never lost my job.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been at my company for only one year, so I wouldn't really feel comfortable asking anyways.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I'll be lucky if I get a raise this year. My yearly review was in March, but then... y'know. I've been going to work basically every day as an essential worker, while 90% of my colleagues were furloughed. It'll be interesting to see how bonuses/raises play out, if they do at all.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be lucky to keep my job in the next 2-4 months, no pay rise for me.
I work in the aviation sector.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I've been at my company for only one year, so I wouldn't really feel comfortable asking anyways.
You should def have the ability to negotiate after a whole year!

OP, y'all would be much better served if you and your coworkers could work together and figure out what you're making and what you all as a team think is an equitable raise. If you all stay united and come at them with the same number wouldn't that be better for morale and solidarity?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
My job is in a hiring freeze, promotion freeze, and no annual raises this year. Executive took a 10% paycut and 300 people were furloughed. Not asking for a raise any time soon.

This is my company except the furlough. Whole company took a 20% haircut to avoid any furloughs. Though thankfully I dodged that because I'm a contractor with pay that was locked in when I renewed my contract for another year back in February. Talk about lucky timing.

They want to promote me when the business is back to normal, and then it'll be an awkward conversation because the promotion will involve a pay increase and benefits and whatnot but that will probably mean I need to join them proper. The current situation has made that choice harder.

Last edited:

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

OP, y'all would be much better served if you and your coworkers could work together and figure out what you're making and what you all as a team think is an equitable raise. If you all stay united and come at them with the same number wouldn't that be better for morale and solidarity?
I would be pretty annoyed if one of my employees asked for a raise beyond annual merit/col after 1 year and they were not a total superstar. If a normal level employee doing that would be pretty out of line to me.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I would be pretty annoyed if one of my employees asked for a raise beyond annual merit/col after 1 year and they were not a total superstar. If a normal level employee doing that would be pretty out of line to me.
Oh well yeah, if you have an annual merit increase that kind of eliminates the need to ask for a raise unless you were paying below a living wage to begin with and the raise would just bring you up to or past that point, or to parity with other people in that team/division. Don't be too pissed about people asking for raises though, they are just trying to feed their families and enjoy life and it shouldn't reflect badly that people just want to be comfortable. Maybe its not the case at your workplace but there's a lot where raises can afford to be given but that money just goes to executives and shit.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017

The people I've talked about it most with stopped sharing their number when they got a certain bump, so they're encouraging, but not THAT supportive. Most of the company would say they're underpaid, I just rather it be pointed out that I'm even more underpaid since I'm the last holdover from the "let's get recent grads on the cheap" days. The others mostly came from other companies with more valued experience.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The people I've talked about it most with stopped sharing their number when they got a certain bump, so they're encouraging, but not THAT supportive. Most of the company would say they're underpaid, I just rather it be pointed out that I'm even more underpaid since I'm the last holdover from the "let's get recent grads on the cheap" days. The others mostly came from other companies with more valued experience.
Ah that sucks dude. There's a lot of value in you being with them for so long, they might have experience in the field but experience and perspective within a company, riding out all the changes and everything, being well integrated with all the teams, that should be worth something.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
I had gotten a promotion, only for it to get placed on indefinite hold/ until next year.

I'm currently shopping around, & submitted an application today too...
:/

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad I locked in a promotion in February. After my company cut the 401k match, I'm not expecting much if anything in the usual annual review.

Mesoian

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 28, 2017
With everything going on, I've basically had to accept that any real negotiations I was planning on doing for this year are out the window. No one is getting raises or bonuses and our 401k's won't be matched. That's just how it is. And it's fine...considering.

Now next year...we'll have words.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I got a raise and promotion in Jan, with the way this year is going I'll be pleasantly surprised if we do the normal merit increase cycle, which I'm okay with.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad I locked in a promotion in February. After my company cut the 401k match, I'm not expecting much if anything in the usual annual review.
This was my mistake. They changed my title in February and I was like, let me have a good rest of the quarter and then bring it up end of March so they can't say no. I'm sure they still would've said no, but still.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Luckily I got a 9% raise before the rona hit back in February, on top of an almost 4% rate back in September. Wasn't let go or furloughed like some of my colleagues either so I'm not expecting another raise this year.

King Fossil

Oct 26, 2017
I'm lucky in that I do software development so my job haven't been affected business wise at all. I got a 14% raise last year. I'm expecting 20% raise this year. But that's because I do a lot more than my job actually is. Plus if I left I could be making 50K-70K more.

Damn, how much are you being underpaid? I'd expect maybe 10-20K from switching jobs but that is a fairly large gap.

In a series of events, I was able to get the bump I wanted by getting a job offer elsewhere.