• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How are you finding your purchase?

• Straight cash

Votes: 1,089 84.0%
  • Trade ins

Votes: 15 1.2%
  • Combination of cash and trade ins

Votes: 192 14.8%

• Total voters

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last gen I picked up a PS4 at launch by trading in my Xbox 360 and all the games I had for it. Paid nothing extra out of pocket.

This time around I have some trade in credit I'm going to use and I'm going to sell or trade-in my PS4 pro to mostly cover the cost of PS5. I'm mostly digital this gen, so not a lot of games to sell or trade in.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I'll probably just buy both out of pocket - whichever has the most compelling launch lineup is the one I'll start with. I used to be big into trade-ins.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
lol, I think you meant "funding"

I'll probably sell my PS4 for whatever I can get and pay straight cash. I doubt I'll do any kind of "trade in" unless I see a good deal on offer. I think PS5 is going to be supply constrained for a while, so I'm not expecting much in the way of trade in deals.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
probably straight cash--- i traded in my ps3 for my ps4 on the hopes that backwards compatibility would be implemented, and instead i was left with a handful of useless games i had to dump as well

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I have someone coming to buy my ps4 pro this weekend, I just need to finish FF7R first.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll get the Series X from Microsoft Store with discounted gift cards I already bought and then trade-in my One X & PS4 Pro + sell the SSD currently in my Pro to pay for a PS5 which I hope to be able to order from Amazon

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I have someone coming to buy my ps4 pro this weekend, I just need to finish FF7R first.

Its too early for me to sell mine, but maybe I should try to be aggressive and move the PS4 at least a month before the new one hits.

Does anyone have a strong sense of what happens to the selling price on current gen hardware when the new hits? You'd expect a glut and falling prices, but I'm not sure my experience bears that out.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Cash by selling some old games I know longer need. Also will sell my xbox one x since there would literally be no reason to keep it.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I'm going to buy them with my debit card. I do have a few hundred dollars in best buy gift cards I will throw at them as well.

I don't sell games but I may sell my Pro if possible, I'm probably keeping my X1X no matter what I do for Xbox next gen just for the 4k reader.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Never done trade-ins in my life and I am not starting now. I have the full amount ready.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dunno what i'll do with my current consoles yet. I really should trade them in, but I was intending to just buy them with cash.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I've had a second bank account for a few years now, at the end of each month if I've got anything left I just chuck it into that. Over the years it's built up to be enough for a PS5 (hopefully!)

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to keep my games, of course, but as for the PS4 I'll sell it off and use that + money I've saved up for the PS5.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Asking for xmas.

Unless I'm just allowed to buy one out of the blue. Doubt though.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna try to stick to streaming games as long as humanly possible to save money.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
depending on the trade deals will sell or trade in PS4 pro and whatever games I have that are confirmed to not be BC.

Xbox is a bit trickier. I have a one x in the bedroom that doubles duty as a 4k br player. I don't really game on it enough to justify an SX upgrade.

Might just buy a Lockhart and put it on the OLED depending on how cheap it is just for easy access to gamepass downstairs. I have a decent laptop i use down there it's just kind of annoying to set up.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Money.

I don't have anything to trade in, at least not right now. If there's a reasonable deal I might outright get the first one (living room) and then use the LR PS4 to trade in for a PS5 for the game room, then move the game room PS4 to the master bedroom for a media player (or just to play Destiny there).

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Just purchasing a XSX at launch, I never trade in as I like to collect my old consoles.

Will pick up a PS5 further down the line when there is a compelling exclusive lineup.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
To be honest it doesn't register much on my finances. If I didn't spend it there it would have been invested outside of my retirement account (that will be maxed anyways), or to pay back my mortgage early if I don't find any attractive investments.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I always buy every console each generation eventually, and I usually keep all of my previous gen hardware and games.

The only consoles I no longer have are my original Xbox, N64, and Gamecube. I gave away my Xbox and games to my cousins when they were younger, because their family didn't have the money to spare for video games. My mom gave away my N64 and Gamecube while I was away at college, because she (in her words) "didn't think I wanted them anymore."

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping to keep the PS4 running so my fiance and I can crossplay some games that support it.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'll trade in my Pro and some shitty game . Gonna buy the PS5 disk version so I won't need that jet engine anymore.

That or selling a kidney.