• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to say, it feels like the MCU is trying to find its feet again post Endgame storyline wise

from what I've seen so far it's a half and half:

I liked Wandavision and Loki, and What If so far
I thought Black Widow and Falcon and the Winter Soldier were fairly average

the multiverse stuff is very intriguing and I'm certainly very excited for spiderman

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
widow was below average but the rest has been great

multiverse shit is the perfect way to go to top infinity war/endgame

and the trailer views for spidey is proof. hype is real.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
This is something I do love about the phase so far. You can see the diversity in the Assembled making of videos on Disney Plus. I like to imagine Perlmutter cursing under his breath any time he sees anything MCU related these days.

Perlmutter is a piece of shit so yeah I'm glad he away from the MCU. I'm just thinking about what would have happened to Civil War had Perlmutter got his way.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I've only seen the D+ shows so far, but I've been enjoying it a lot. I think Loki and WandaVision have been the strongest. What Ifā€¦? has been kind of meh so far (though I did thoroughly enjoy the latest episode) and while I like Falcon and Winter Soldier it definitely wasn't without its issues.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Loki was on the better end of stuff they've done, Falcon and Winter Soldier on the weaker. The rest has been pretty standard Marvel fare.

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
I haven't watched BW, eventually I will I'm sure. The TV shows have been excellent though imo and that has me very hopeful. I just finished Loki and loved it, maybe my second favorite thing after Infinity War. I loved the What If? comics forever so that's been fun thus far as well.

Only thing missing is some X-Men and I'm getting really ansy for that...

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So excited to see Doctor Strange's movie and see many pieces falling into place šŸ˜³

WandaVision has been my favorite part of the MCU so far :D

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
With just one movie in so far and 3 TV shows. I feel it is too early to make a 100% determination.

I don't really feel like Black Widow is phase 4..since it happened around Civil War. I liked it enough.
Adding florence Pugh as the new BW makes it worthwhile imho

Of the three TV shows, they all brought unique aspects and set up interesting paths

So I'd say for me we are at a B+/A-

Once Shang Chi hits though...likely will push that to a A/A-

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Oh..and I'm really enjoying What if as well.

Can someone answer me about What if

Is this supposed to be tied into the MCU somehow? or is it just a one off

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm enjoying it, but what kind of ruins it is the lack of excitement about going to theaters, I haven't gone to one yet since the pandemic started, I miss that a lot.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to say, it feels like the MCU is trying to find its feet again post Endgame storyline wise

from what I've seen so far it's a half and half:

I liked Wandavision and Loki, and What If so far
I thought Black Widow and Falcon and the Winter Soldier were fairly average

the multiverse stuff is very intriguing and I'm certainly very excited for spiderman

Multiverse is interesting but also makes it kinda hard to define feet to find :)

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly I've lost pretty much all interest since Endgame wrapped up that storyline. Loved it, and thought it was a great ending.

Haven't really gotten on board with any of the shows, but I am excited about Dr. Strange 2.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
It's so early to be critiquing when you don't even know exactly where things are going.

They're doing alot of work to set things up and it's been great that they've been pushing the storylines and doing things with characters you wouldn't have dreamt of seeing 20 years ago.

Can't wait to see shang chi next week and we have eternals and Spiderman right behind.

Hawkeye and ms marvel are supposed to hit Disney+ by end of year as well

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Oh..and I'm really enjoying What if as well.

Can someone answer me about What if

Is this supposed to be tied into the MCU somehow? or is it just a one off
It's tied in by way of it's part of the MCU's multiverse, but there's no real 'cross over' to it.

As far as we know there is no plans to bring the 'variant' characters into the main MCU timeline, but it's hard to say really.

I'd not be shocked if there was some sort of cameo or nod to them mind, something like Strange showing windows into various multiverse strands and seeing a live action Captain Carter very briefly.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's good so far. What could the complaints possibly be? We're getting new characters, weekly shows, no major end of the world threat (yet, unless you're counting the end of Loki). I'm having a lot of fun right now. It was obvious this was going to be a phase of laying the groundwork for the future.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
WV: 75% good
FAWS: bad and boring
Loki: bad but not boring
What If (I never watch this show)
BW: haven't seen, will wait for D+
SC: dont care, will wait for D+
Eternals: dont care, will wait for D+
SM: will see for Tobey.

Overall, in a post Endgame world, I'm kinda....over it?

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's tied in by way of it's part of the MCU's multiverse, but there's no real 'cross over' to it.

As far as we know there is no plans to bring the 'variant' characters into the main MCU timeline, but it's hard to say really.

I'd not be shocked if there was some sort of cameo or nod to them mind, something like Strange showing windows into various multiverse strands and seeing a live action Captain Carter very briefly.
I feel like they're positioning it to bring Captain Carter into live action. I could even see them trying to convince MBJ to come back depending on what What If does with Killmonger. I still can't believe he even agreed to do the voice.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
It has me feeling the same thing as everything the MCU has released so far. Very little.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I've enjoyed what I've seen so far at varying levels, but none of it I haven't liked.

The one thing I'm concerned about is will we receive the epic, overarching storyline in Phase 4 and beyond, like we received with the Infinity Stones?

Or will it be more condensed, smaller storylines? I really hope not. I enjoyed the movies on their own from Phases1-3, but what really made them great was the 'U' in MCU and the culmination of 22 movies in Infinity Wars and Endgame.

I know Phase 4 is the just the beginning again, but I hope we have something just as spanning and epic.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It's giving me a Shang-Chi movie, so it's my favourite phase by far.

Loki is also some of my favourite MCU content.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
The TV shows are fire. But so far in the movie side Black Widow was so mediocre.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My feelings so far of this Phase have been mostly mixed:

TV Shows
WandaVision: Awesome first half, felt like it was scrambling in the second half.
FatWS: It covered some good themes on race, and seeking forgiveness/redemption but it didn't have much to say beyond that. I'm not even going to get into the issues I had, other than the writing for the Flagsmashers were terribly executed on screen, as they could suck the energy out of the room.
Loki: Fun show with great chemistry between Hiddleson and Wilson. Spending the last two and a half episodes to do a Wizard of Oz re-enactment was rough for me though.

Movies
Black Widow: The side characters were the heart of the movie and had a strong presence, while the title character was just kind of there. It didn't feel like an actual BW movie to me until the last 15 to 20 min.
Shang-Chi: I'm expecting it to be average. Most origin movies don't go beyond that.
Eternals: Ehh....
Spider-Man: It will probably end up being the best thing out all the projects listed above.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm optimistic for the future, but so far it's only been okay. All of the TV shows have left me dissatisfied to varying degrees.
  • WandaVision was great for the most part, but I'm not a big fan of how most of the storylines ended up getting resolved tbh. Agatha All Along was a cool moment and song, but they fizzle as a villain otherwise. The boner joke still feels kinda baffling considering Marvel is doing the Multiverse! Why muddy the water like that? As many other people have said -- that finale really drops the ball, hard. Oh, and Monica Rambeau's role in this was pretty terrible, frankly.

• Outside of the Isaiah scenes, Falcon and the Winter Soldier was pretty middling the entire way through.

• Loki was the most consistent of the three, but still felt disjointed at times. Big moments in one episode would be brushed aside or just resolved off-screen the next. The TVA went from 'mysterious and interesting' to 'one-note and artificial' pretty damn quickly. The action choreography and power scaling in the series really sucks, too. It's disappointing that they didn't take this opportunity to solidify what Loki is capable of, because his powers and strength are so inconsistent in the MCU. His abilities appear and vanish as the story demands, and no -- I'm not talking about when they're blocked by the TVA.

• Black Widow was fine, but I was disappointed that the action was so shaky-cammed and uninteresting, especially given Taskmaster's involvement.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The shows so far are mostly awesome.black widow was on the bottom end of mcu movies but introduced some interesting new characters (as long as I never have to see them in a family 'comedy' setting again they should be fine'.)

Very excited for the multiverse movies tho. Hoping for shang chi to be good, origin movies at this pt in the mcu are hit or miss, it's so easy to just make it boring by rehashing origin beats that we've seen a millions times.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Wanda & Loki show the potential of Phase 4, incredibly well done projects. I understand why some might be put off by either of them, but they felt so fresh and invigorating to me. The anticipation between episodes was unreal.

Falcon & Winter Soldier felt unfinished. It did wonders for Falcon's character and gave us some beautiful moments with Bucky, but the villains were terrible and John Walker's arc felt deeply unsatisfying.

Black Widow is meh and feels out of place with everything else. It was Phase 1/Phase 2 feeling. It was a fun ride but it's guilty of all the MCU tropes that people complain about.

If Shang-Chi is anywhere near as good as I'm hearing it is, we're in a good spot. Eternals and Spider-man look fantastic and I'm liking what we've heard about She-Hulk, The Marvels, Doctor Strange and Blade. Also excited to see how Fantastic 4 and X-Men are introduced.

Mixed bag but a lot of reasons to be excited.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
As a reminder MCU Phase 4 is below.

Marvel-Phase-4.jpg

Based on online reactions, it seems many aren't feeling Phase 4. I think I saw some 4 hour video essay on YT critquiting it. I didn't watch it the full thing obviously, but it got some bloke to rant for 4 hours lol.

I'm behind on the shows and caught up on the movies.

I found Black Widow fun, but it could've been better. I know some just hated it.

I think Thor will end up being the best movie here since the director is solid.

There's about 205872350 hours of YT comment about how Brie Larson is cancer, everyone hates her and she's the end of the MCU, and you're hanging your hat on that? Try again.

Black Widow - average movie. Should have come out 5 years ago.
WandaVision - Pretty solid for me, few missteps, COVID removed an episode and subplot.
Falcon and the Winter Soldier - average, few more missteps but sam/bucky relationship was great. Really looking forward to Sam in Cap 4.
Loki - fantastic.
What if - neat so far. 2nd and 3rd episode were better than the first.

Future, (excitment out of 10)
Shang chi - 8/10
Eternals - 7/10
Spider Man - 9/10

Won't comment on the rest as we haven't seen anything yet. But I'm generally pretty psyched about what's coming.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I enjoyed WandaVision and Loki, thought Falcon and the Winter Solider was okay, and haven't seen The Black Window yet. Overall, I think it's been good, and there's a lot of interesting ways they can go with the multiverse. The upcoming Spiderman looks great.

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm not fussed about the seemingly aimless direction we have so far in Phase 4. We just finished the Infinity Saga, so I'm just happy to see some pieces move again and build up to something.

Phase 4 (2021) so far for me:

- High Tier: Loki, WandaVision, What If
- Low Tier: Black Widow, Falcon & The Winter Soldier

- Looking Forward to: Shang-Chi, Spider-Man No Way Home, Ms Marvel
- Curious Only: Eternals, Hawkeye

Last edited:

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I'm very excited for the prospect of multiverse shenanigans, and I've been very happy to get almost weekly doses of MCU for the majority of the year. I'm really curious to see how the stuff between Strange 2 and Ant-Man 3 will fit into the overall phase arc, or if Shang-Chi or the Eternals will have roles in any of the other movies.

4 movies a year isn't enough. If it was up to me, there'd be a new one every month, lol.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I've really enjoyed it so far and we've not even gotten to the stuff that I'm REALLY excited for.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Stealing your format Solo not quoting it because I dont want it to come off as a rebuff

I'm highly engaged in post EndGame but I do think the focus on large groups of chracters takes a bit away from what made the cross over movies more special. THat being said COVID has put a damped on the whole thing as I won't be seeing anything in theaters until at least a booster shot. I'm glad BW was on Premiere access and I'm hoping I can get to a DriveIn for the rest. Eternals looks like a movie I need low expectations for though.

I'm kind of hoping some of these multiverse stories become like a limited thing and then it pulls back a bit, only because I dont want the future of the MCU to rely on old characters and stuff from FOX or Sony.

Here's where I'm at with it.

WV: Loved every last minute of it, it's in my top 10 MCU list for sure.
FAWS: Slow, boring and uneven. I liked parts but most felt okay at best. Knowing how much COVID fucked it's central plot and production it's hard not to kind of look the other way, but it was w.e
Loki: Awesome, I loved it as much as WV. MCU DOCTOR Who was amazing.
What If: Enjoying this far more than I would have guessed
BW: I think it was fine but mostly unneeded and the action sequences made no sense
SC: Mad it's not on Premiere Access hopefully I can see it. Looks amazing.
Eternals: Hoping it's better than FAWS, but I'm expecting Thor 2: The Dark World
SM: So damn pumped, love the MCU Spidey and all the other versions tbh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only interested in Spider-Man No Way Home, because of the multiverse crossover.

I don't give a shit about anything else in that picture.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
the "grounded" side of it is hamstrung by the fact that it asks me to accept Endgame as canon, which I will never do. the cosmic/magical stuff is very fun though. super hyped for NHW and DS2.

What don't you like about Endgame as canon? Sounds like an insurmountable beef to have with the franchise. Like, I don't know, not accepting that Vader is Luke's father or something.

Oct 25, 2017
All the TV shows have been EXCEPTIONAL [some more than others, and all for different reasons].

Black Widow was meh, but I don't think that was unexpected.

Pretty excited for phase 4 based on TV alone, and the critics' reactions to Shang-Chi thus far.