• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How are you buying your games this gen?

• Digital

Votes: 100 39.8%
  • Physical

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Mixture of both

Votes: 107 42.6%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Title says it all. I'm probably doing a mixture since game prices have gone up and physical always seems to have the best deals.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
I've been 100% digital since the beginning of last gen, in 2013.

Never going back to physical media.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
100% digital, just like last gen. I haven't bought physical media anything in a long time.

Oct 25, 2017
Mixture. I feel like digital games have a higher chance of being compatible with future systems, which may not have disk drives. But I'll buy whatever way is cheaper.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Whichever is cheaper so it's gonna be a mixture

Nintendo first party titles for an example will primarily be physical due to the physical copies going on sale more often than digital

Third party multiplats digital for sure across all platforms

If I focus on PC gaming it's gonna be full digital.

The days of "collecting" cool boxes and whatnot is gone for me, it's a waste of space and clutter

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I'll consume mostly digital via services like Game Pass but when it comes to buying, it will mostly be physical. I like having my favorite games on disc.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna do physical where possible. Otherwise, digital if it's a really good deal, or digital only.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
whatever is cheaper in the end. If its an inexcusable deal through digital that was never to see in physical I would grab it up. Otherwise I go physical and resell to recoup some costs later

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
Xbox will be mostly digital (Gamepass). Not sure if this counts as technically I won't be buying those games.
Different story with PS5, almost 100% physical as I won't be paying 80 EUR for a game I can't resell.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Games i want to own, Physical always. Games i dont really care but would like to play, wait for a cheap promo and buy digital.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
I would go all physical on console if I could, but not every game has a physical release.

Gorthaur

Oct 28, 2017
100% digital. As it's legal to buy xbox series x games with a vpn I'm getting insanely good prices buying my games in Brazil or Turkey.

nickfrancis86

Nov 10, 2017
I'd love to say digital, and it will be for the most part, but sometimes there are deals on a physical you just can't refuse. That or purchasing preowned.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
100% digital for Playstation (I even bought the DE). I do have a Switch though, so I could still buy a physical game or two there if a deal blows me away.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Gonna try to go all digital but we'll see if some collector's edition I really want prevents that from happening

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
I rent 90% of my games. When I am buying, it will be disc unless digital only deals.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
99% physical on console. Only digital for things I know I will want to play a lot of at all times (like Animal Crossing) and even then I usually re-buy those games physically so I actually own them.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it stupid of me to say this ?

Personally I feel like Microsoft has earned my trust in this area much more than Sony has.
Amazing backwards compatibility with even OG Xbox games.

I feel much more at ease purchasing Xbox games digitally than I do Sony games.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I'm trying my best to go full digital for the convenience, but I am a sucker for a sale so I'm sure there will be discs eventually.

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
If it's available on physical and not scalper prices (ie currency + shipping - looking at your LRG/iam8bit) than physical all the way. I will buy digital only if it's a game I really want but only if the game is heavily discounted.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
My hears says physical but my shelves say nope. I killed myself with clutter last gen when I went in on the Limited Run stuff. I need to purge it.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Just like last gen, physical unless the game is digital only.

I never get digital when physical is an option. The only game I wish had a digital version is Ring Fit.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Is it stupid of me to say this ?

Personally I feel like Microsoft has earned my trust in this area much more than Sony has.
Amazing backwards compatibility with even OG Xbox games.

I feel much more at ease purchasing Xbox games digitally than I do Sony games.
I don't think that was the question? How is the platform relevant?

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that was the question? How is the platform relevant?

The platform is relevant because the Xbox platform has shown they care about backwards compatibility.
And so if a future Xbox were to come out I feel like Microsoft would be more inclined to also offer backwards compatibility for it as well.
Therefore I'm more inclined to purchase digital games for Xbox platforms than I am for Sony platforms.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
The platform is relevant because the Xbox platform has shown they care about backwards compatibility.
And so if a future Xbox were to come out I feel like Microsoft would be more inclined to also offer backwards compatibility for it as well.
Therefore I'm more inclined to purchase digital games for Xbox platforms than I am for Sony platforms.
Do physical xbox games have a disadvantage vs digital when it comes to BC?

Also I think Sony will learn this generation that BC is more important then they thought. This was really their first go around since the PS3 was too difficult to support. I could see them making it more seamless going forward.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do physical xbox games have a disadvantage vs digital when it comes to BC?

Also I think Sony will learn this generation that BC is more important then they thought. This was really their first go around since the PS3 was too difficult to support. I could see them making it more seamless going forward.

There is no disadvantage. But for me personally I'd rather have digital if I know I can carry the game with me into future console generations. If I can't, then I'd rather buy physically and trade in when I'm done with it.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Been all digital for years. I purchased a couple physical games just to test out the disc drive and to have something to play while i download everything else. I will soon sell them and maybe rebuy them digitally.

Discs in 2020 are just nasty