• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I bought them early this year because of price and recommendations, and haven't made it all that far through Mask of Deception. I think the first one (chronologically) was just re-released or something but available as an anime?

In any case, I'm not a huge visual novel fan either, and at least the initial story seemed like needlessly wordy (it is a novel after all, though) and anime tropey, but that's probably expected in the genre.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Huh, maybe I should pick this up. I've heard nothing but fantastic things about them.

OP
OP
SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I bought them early this year because of price and recommendations, and haven't made it all that far through Mask of Deception. I think the first one (chronologically) was just re-released or something but available as an anime?

In any case, I'm not a huge visual novel fan either, and at least the initial story seemed like needlessly wordy (it is a novel after all, though) and anime tropey, but that's probably expected in the genre.

Yeah, there is an anime that precedes it and was just released as a full price VN game. Do I need to know the story from that to start these two?

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I have a question about this series. I just bought the bundle too since I heard great things about it. But I heard it's really the second and third games in the series. Do I need to watch the first season of the anime first, which is 26 episodes apparently?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
$12? Might need to check them out. Also curious about the anime stuff.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
They're good games, the original PC VN is still one of my favourite VN's of all time and the follow-ups are also excellent.
How laden with anime tropes are they? I love certain anime, but not really "cutesy moe girl" type stuff.
They're tropey as all fuck, but the original is also close to 20 years old so it's kind of expected. There's not a lot of "moe"-eyness though, at least not to the level you see in a lot of modern anime.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Buy them, they are amazing. Keep in mind though that the remake of the original game comes out in english pretty soon (early 2020 if I recall correctly), so at this point I'd advise you to wait for it and to play them in order.

It's not really necessary to enjoy Mask of Deception, but a couple of the biggest emotional punchs of Mask of Truth are only effective if you know the story of the first game.

You could also just watch the anime, though. It's a little bit rushed, but it's pretty good.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Buy them, they are amazing. Keep in mind though that the remake of the original game comes out in english pretty soon (early 2020 if I recall correctly), so at this point I'd advise you to wait for it and to play them in order.

It's not really necessary to enjoy Mask of Deception, but a couple of the biggest emotional punchs of Mask of Truth are only effective if you know the story of the first game.

You could also just watch the anime, though. It's a little bit rushed, but it's pretty good.
Thanks for that. I'll buy these and just have them in my backlog. Price is so cheap that I can wait for first one first.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have a date for the western release of the remake yet?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
My take.

First game is one giant set up for the second one, so you have to treat it as 30-40 hours of world building. You have to be relatively resistant to anime tropes and cliches but the second game is 10000% worth the pay off. The slice of life crap mostly dies in the second, more serious game.

As for game part first one is 20% SRPG/80% VN while second 40% SRPG/60% VN.

It might be impenetrable if you do not tolerate VNs or some cliches, fair warning as there are, for example, 30-60 minute stretches of literally just eating and talking about nothing.

OP
OP
SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
My take.

First game is one giant set up for the second one, so you have to treat it as 30-40 hours of world building. You have to be relatively resistant to anime tropes and cliches but the second game is 10000% worth the pay off. The slice of life crap mostly dies in the second, more serious game.

As for game part first one is 20% SRPG/80% VN while second 40% SRPG/60% VN.

It might be impenetrable if you do not tolerate VNs or some cliches, fair warning as there are, for example, 30-60 minute stretches of literally just eating and talking about nothing.

I don't mind scenes like that if it is building up the characters.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth are some of the best stories in the medium and some of my favourite character work and soundtracks. I couldn't recommend them enough. The combat is pretty good as well, especially in Mask of Truth.

Zan is a action game coveting the story of Mask of Deception, but it skips over a lot and generally isn't fun to play.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017

It's basically a barely-average take on the Dynasty Warriors formula that tries to squeeze in a 40+ hour VN in about a tenth of the time and should best be ignored.

In addition to all the well-deserved praise others have given Deception and Truth, I'd like to add that you should have at least a bit of affinity for trn-based strategy as the fights spinkled throughout can get suprisingly complex and especially in the second game also rather tough. Even more so if you mostly ignore opportunties to level up your characters e.g. in the optional training mode like I did, just to end up with the final battles becoming a big hurdle to overcome.