• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Sony and MS's public vs. private disclosures were pretty much the exact opposite of each other.

MS shared more and earlier with the public, Sony shared more and earlier with development partners.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
A dev kit is useless without software to utilize it. Its possible that the hardware (physical dev kits) were ready but the development environment (software; GDK) was not. And that is how they could show off hardware early and have dev kits that are "behind".

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Sony and MS's public vs. private disclosures were pretty much the exact opposite of each other.

MS shared more and earlier with the public, Sony shared more and earlier with development partners.
Interesting. This plus the expectation of seeing more would have made the PS5 the primary dev platform, then ported to XSX?

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Both consoles came in last minute in different aspects basically. Sony from an OS feature stand point (I believe the console design was finalized way before due to the cooling patents).

Microsoft from the development stand point, where they said "Hey it's gonna be a pain but how about we make tools that work both on Xbox and PC".

I'm just waiting for consoles to get their DLSS equivalent soon. Imagine raytracing at 60 FPS (not the shadows from COD) at 1080p but with the upscaling of super resolution, so we can at least have great gameplay experience with the bells and whistles. 30fps looks like a slideshow to me now

OP
OP
rntongo

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020

From what we the public knew at the time, Sony devkits were abundant and MSFT final hw was ahead. That was the general consesus if we go back 9 months ago. We knew what the Series X looked like, its internals, its specifications, a picture of its APU but not the PS5. What seemed bizarre in hindsight was that we hadn't seen the Series X devkit nor its abundance amongst devs. Looking back this was actually bizarre because you'd think the devkit would be more abundant before launch. Because now we know devs had more access to the PS5 devkit thant the Series X's. Thats why I put that comment from a dev in the OP. Its honestly bizarre.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
From what we the public knew at the time, Sony devkits were abundant and MSFT final hw was ahead. That was the general consesus if we go back 9 months ago. We knew what the Series X looked like, its internals, its specifications, a picture of its APU but not the PS5. What seemed bizarre in hindsight was that we hadn't seen the Series X devkit nor its abundance amongst devs. Looking back this was actually bizarre because you'd think the devkit would be more abundant before launch. Because now we know devs had more access to the PS5 devkit thant the Series X's. Thats why I put that comment from a dev in the OP. Its honestly bizarre.
Not to put too fine a point on it, "the public knows" shit about this.

Just because Internet forums and Discord groups build some sort of internal consensus from dispart, incomplete, and often straight up wrong information doesn't mean that consensus has any basis in actual fact.

The vast majority of people here are just fans who don't really know what they are talking about when it comes to internal industry happenings or tech, no matter how much they scream otherwise at each other.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. This plus the expectation of seeing more would have made the PS5 the primary dev platform, then ported to XSX?
Also you'd have years worth of domain knowledge of Sony's hardware to carry over. DF kind of hinted at this.

OP
OP
rntongo

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020

Just because Internet forums and Discord groups build some sort of internal consensus from dispart, incomplete, and often straight up wrong information doesn't mean that consensus has any basis in actual fact.

The vast majority of people here are just fans who don't really know what they are talking about when it comes to internal industry happenings or tech, no matter how much they scream otherwise at each other.

I agree we don't know the hardcore details, thats why we come onto the forums, to discuss share ideas and figure out. What do you expect people to believe when you show your hw almost a year before launch? It was very clear(In the public's eyes) at the time that MSFT's hw was pretty much done. Again, at that point you'd expect devkit hw to be available as well or at a similarly advanced stage.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I agree we don't know the hardcore details, thats why we come onto the forums, to discuss share ideas and figure out. What do you expect people to believe when you show your hw almost a year before launch? It was very clear(In the public's eyes) at the time that MSFT's hw was pretty much done. Again, at that point you'd expect devkit hw to be available as well or at a similarly advanced stage.

Your point is fine. But it doesn't disagree with Matt's either.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
I agree that it seems Sony had to wait linger for their final console design, which is a huge deal. Seems MSFT was ahead even if they had to wait longer for RDNA 2.0. They showed the APU tear down, final design by March 2020.
OP also remember that philosophy wise MS is bridging PC and console and cloud (although the cloud blades are just going to be series x's) so they "chose" to wait for full rdna2, I believe they he to wait for full rdna2 so they could revamp and bolster their broad GDK to cover pc and console. They have also tried toying with a game stack tool to help porting across devices for about half a decade and haven't shown it yet. Maybe they fold that in there too somewhere

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazed that fanboys had it wrong all along. Sony really knocked out of the park...again.
Cerny and Jimbo deserves statues at Sony HQ.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough

LOL.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
My theory,

Microsoft Rushed the console launch, they wanted to release it in November of this year no matter what, they did not believe that Sony might do it this year or did not want to leave them release alone. This is evident from their Software Lineup (which does not included a thing) and their hardware which is not working as advertised (MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE EVER).
I still think that with time the console will show its true colors, but the MOST POWERFUL console not being able to have the best versions of games at launch is a problem.

In the end, both consoles are awesome in power and both have fantastic Backward compatibilities and future software, so enjoy them folks.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I've had absolutely no issues at all with my games (Series X). I didn't even know this was a problem.. ?
My impression from the technical videos from DF and other outlets was that the performances were very comparable (so far).

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Early showings of Xbox Series X were marketing. CGI renders, empty mockups, and Phill bragging how he has brought home new console to play BC titles.

However, on the games front, they were forced to constantly show PC footage, with real console footage coming very very close to the launch. To me [and many others] it was clear that something was off when they showed Halo Infinite running on PC.

On the other hand, PS5 devkits leaked ages ago [blurry pictures from dev studios], we got regular praises from devs about the state of the tools, and when PS5 presentations finally came, all games [except opening game FF16] were running on actual hardware.

Xbox One also came out hot with games running on the almost desktop version of [high-level] DirectX 11, with low level console API being released later.

They'll iron out the issues in the 1st year.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Microsoft chose to reveal their console via CGI trailer accompanied by a game trailer rendered on PC.
Sony chose to wait to reveal their console in a showcase with all games running on PS5.
Each console manufacturer picked their own strategy to reveal their console, thats all there is to it.

OP
OP
rntongo

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
I've had absolutely no issues at all with my games (Series X). I didn't even know this was a problem.. ?
My impression from the technical videos from DF and other outlets was that the performances were very comparable (so far).

Neither have I. Possibly the best console I've ever owned from a hw perspective. I guess its more of figuring out because its a bit confusing how somethings happened. Otherwise I'm very satisfied with my console.

OP also remember that philosophy wise MS is bridging PC and console and cloud (although the cloud blades are just going to be series x's) so they "chose" to wait for full rdna2, I believe they he to wait for full rdna2 so they could revamp and bolster their broad GDK to cover pc and console. They have also tried toying with a game stack tool to help porting across devices for about half a decade and haven't shown it yet. Maybe they fold that in there too somewhere
Fair points and most likely why. On the plus side its great seeing how much their trying to do to make gaming better.

My theory,

Microsoft Rushed the console launch, they wanted to release it in November of this year no matter what, they did not believe that Sony might do it this year or did not want to leave them release alone. This is evident from their Software Lineup (which does not included a thing) and their hardware which is not working as advertised (MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE EVER).
I still think that with time the console will show its true colors, but the MOST POWERFUL console not being able to have the best versions of games at launch is a problem.

In the end, both consoles are awesome in power and both have fantastic Backward compatibilities and future software, so enjoy them folks.

Without a doubt we'll see its true power later on.

Early showings of Xbox Series X were marketing. CGI renders, empty mockups, and Phill bragging how he has brought home new console to play BC titles.

However, on the games front, they were forced to constantly show PC footage, with real console footage coming very very close to the launch. To me [and many others] it was clear that something was off when they showed Halo Infinite running on PC.

On the other hand, PS5 devkits leaked ages ago [blurry pictures from dev studios], we got regular praises from devs about the state of the tools, and when PS5 presentations finally came, all games [except opening game FF16] were running on actual hardware.

Xbox One also came out hot with games running on the almost desktop version of [high-level] DirectX 11, with low level console API being released later.

They'll iron out the issues in the 1st year.

Now that you bring that up, its honestly could be why some of these things occurred the way they did.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Complete nonsense, their marketing strategy has worked tremendously. Just because the method or timeline didn't meet some people preconceived notion of what it should be or didn't move the same way as Xbox doesn't mean there was no marketing.

It's the most sought after item of the moment, and all materials put out prior to launch did huge engagement numbers ... kind of slaps down any of the sentiment you are expressing.
The PS5 is a juggernaut because of 4 generations of goodwill and delivering beyond expectations. It was always going to be a success as long as it didn't have a ridiculous price or no games, no one seriously thought that Sony's silence was going to doom it. All the marketing team had to do was not seem like they were absent to fans and they didn't quite manage that. That might be overly harsh, especially since they've spent a lot on advertising but it's a really low bar.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017

I always love reading your posts Matt. Get things into perspective and sometimes transparent :p

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
It's an interesting state of affairs for the biggest software company in the world to be using poor tools as an explanation for underwhelming performance.

No one has said the tools are POOR - they're just new, and devs haven't had them as long. There's also been the anecdotes of devs sayings the PS5 had really excellent tools months ago.

Microsoft ditched the XDK after the Xbox One, and migrated to the new GDK that I believe is intended to make porting between PC/Xbox much easier.

That broader focus could also affect efficiency, though we've not actually heard any feedback to that effect yet.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Complete nonsense, their marketing strategy has worked tremendously. Just because the method or timeline didn't meet some people preconceived notion of what it should be or didn't move the same way as Xbox doesn't mean there was no marketing.

It's the most sought after item of the moment, and all materials put out prior to launch did huge engagement numbers ... kind of slaps down any of the sentiment you are expressing.

Sony were the overwhelming market leader. Short of tripping over their own dicks like Microsoft did in 2013, the PS5 was going to sell extremely well regardless of what the marketing department did, through sheer inertia.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

We do have Phil stating this in November 2019 to Eurogamer: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-11-15-the-big-xo19-interview-xbox-boss-phil-spencer

Phil Spencer said:
We also did just ship the development kit, which is another console

Followed immediately by this:

Phil Spencer said:
I know what you're saying, but I will say from the team's perspective, shipping the dev kit is as much work as shipping a retail product. You're shipping thousands of them out to partners. It is a dedicated piece of plastic they're gonna plug in and develop for. It's just a tonne of work.

I assume it was this "console" we saw in Austin Evans visit to Redmond back in March:

pervyj-vzglyad-na-devkit-xbox-series-x-pochti-polnaya-kopiya-versii-xbox-one-x-dlya-razrabotchikov.png

I'd imagine the hardware here (APU/RAM/SSD) was final enough for game production in November 2019 when they shipped to devs.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Every xbox to date had "broader focus" relative to other consoles as far as their sdks were concerned.
Anyway given the mess their last launch was, it's kind of Ironic sw readyness is brought up as a potential failure point again...

The software is fine - some third-party software is not running at the performance level that was expected based on spec (at least yet), but that's not the same thing as "running poorly" or being a "failure point". Some of the problems aren't even apparent unless you're in the 5% of the population who own a TV that can output 4K120 in the first place.

Microsoft's problem in 2013 had nothing to do with software. Higher price, markedly lower performance, completely torched consumer goodwill, and Sony publicly shoryuken-ing them on all three points, combined to bury them before the boxes were even on store shelves - which is why Mattrick resigned before it even launched.

The lay of the land in 2020 is not even in the same galaxy on pretty much any point. They've got a crap launch lineup in 2020, but the 2013 launch lineup was actually quite good, so we can't even compare that.

Last edited:

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
How much do we know about the CPU of the Series X? We know that the GPU is slightly more powerful than the one in the PS5, but since it seems like some games are hitting their FPS target more consistently on the PS5, I'm curious if the difference in the CPUs is whats going on.

Or maybe I haven't been reading enough reviews of games, and that last part isn't true outside of DMCV, Dirt 5 and AC:V.

ginge

Jul 23, 2020
How much do we know about the CPU of the Series X? We know that the GPU is slightly more powerful than the one in the PS5, but since it seems like some games are hitting their FPS target more consistently on the PS5, I'm curious if the difference in the CPUs is whats going on.

Or maybe I haven't been reading enough reviews of games, and that last part isn't true outside of DMCV, Dirt 5 and AC:V.

CPU is slightly faster in the series X than the PS5, by a few hundred megahertz.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The PS5 is a juggernaut because of 4 generations of goodwill and delivering beyond expectations. It was always going to be a success as long as it didn't have a ridiculous price or no games, no one seriously thought that Sony's silence was going to doom it. All the marketing team had to do was not seem like they were absent to fans and they didn't quite manage that. That might be overly harsh, especially since they've spent a lot on advertising but it's a really low bar.
No offense but this is factually not true.

As someone in marketing, it was clear that they had a defined plan on how to maximise hype and engagement with their campaign.

Does their previous generations reception help with their job? Of course, but dismissing the marketing efforts and decisions made in how to promote their product is silly.

If their marketing was simply adequate or bad, there is absolutely no way we would be seeing the hype and engagement with the release of ps5 that we currently are.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Xbox has always had pretty much the same architecture, and that's why they always had excellent backward compatibility. This whole development tools not being up to date sounds like fiction to me.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
No offense but this is factually not true.

As someone in marketing, it was clear that they had a defined plan on how to maximise hype and engagement with their campaign.

Does their previous generations reception help with their job? Of course, but dismissing the marketing efforts and decisions made in how to promote their product is silly.

If their marketing was simply adequate or bad, there is absolutely no way we would be seeing the hype and engagement with the release of ps5 that we currently are.
Fair enough, I'm out of my depth here. Glad the PS5 itself is getting rave reviews :)

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017

The public information of a console has absolutely nothing to do with what devs know.

PS5 dev kits were leaked November last year. The XSX form factor was revealed a few weeks later.

Xbox has always had pretty much the same architecture, and that's why they always had excellent backward compatibility. This whole development tools not being up to date sounds like fiction to me.
None of that is relevant. They had to wait for AMD to finalize the hardware, they had to wait for their own developers to develop the software interface, particularly during a year with a pandemic.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Fair enough, I'm out of my depth here. Glad the PS5 itself is getting rave reviews :)
No worries.

Just see this opinion a lot here and considering all of the available evidence we have, people dismissing the marketing as being redundant or bad always makes me laugh.

It will be super interesting to see how sales continue to go for both consoles. Obviously both will do well out of the gate but sustaining that engagement and hype going forward and keeping potential purchasers engaged will be incredibly important for both companies and how it all pans out sales wise next year will give a better picture of the landscape going forward.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017

Actually the PS5 has more GPU advantages. The TF number only looks at one part of a fairly complex pipeline.
All the other parts of the pipeline, the PS5 has an advantage due to the high clocks.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017

It takes longer than a year to design and build an apu, and like everything I'm sure there are various revisions. Things for it are locked in well in advance. A few months delay is enough to cause stuff to knock on.

People trying to throw shade on the timings don't know anything as Matt says, ultimately the head of Xbox has said that his apu came out after there competitors, that's enough for me.

There was a tally of manufacturer dates of ps5 and xsx in another thread and most of the ps5 were manufactured before the sx.

Also of note, the sx had a bigger apu, so yields will automatically be lower.

Elog

Oct 21, 2020
This entire discussion is based on one implicit assumption: That XSX has a more powerful GPU and hence that the games are underperforming compared to the hardware.

We do not know that.

What we know is that in the world of Internet forums, TFLOPS is everything despite the fact that so many GPUs of the years have shown this to be false. It is one of many metrics.

It is 100% possible that the current performance in games is aligned with the hardware in the two consoles. Furthermore, we do not know which console that will 'mature' the best over the generation. There are too many unknowns. Having said that, in previous generations early performance has correlated very well with the generation as such.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Amazed that fanboys had it wrong all along. Sony really knocked out of the park...again.
Cerny and Jimbo deserves statues at Sony HQ.
The PS5 OT posting majority are people having issues. There is a 2k+ thread dedicated to coil wine and how load the console is and another thread about how the UI seems to be half baked and missing features.

Maybe hold off on the parades and recognize MS and Sony prioritized different things and now need to work on areas they are deficient in : )

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 OT posting majority are people having issues. There is a 2k+ thread dedicated to coil wine and how load the console is and another thread about how the UI seems to be half baked and missing features.

Maybe hold off on the parades and recognize MS and Sony prioritized different things and now need to work on areas they are deficient in : )
Probably because the vast majority of people with a PS5 aren't actually posting in the OT if they aren't having issues. This is basic Internet behaviour, come on.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I agree that it seems Sony had to wait linger for their final console design, which is a huge deal. Seems MSFT was ahead even if they had to wait longer for RDNA 2.0. They showed the APU tear down, final design by March 2020.
They didn't wait for their final design though. They started manufacturing sooner than MS did. As early as May. Clearly They just didn't want to show it off without enough games to show off with it.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
A dev kit is useless without software to utilize it. Its possible that the hardware (physical dev kits) were ready but the development environment (software; GDK) was not. And that is how they could show off hardware early and have dev kits that are "behind".
I know players aren't technical, especially console players. I won't pretend I knows a lot either.
But it always strikes me that, in 2020, most people forgot software when talking about hardware.

The same is true with most people thinking software and hardware optimisation was gone the day console choose to implement PC parts in them.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was rereferring to the hyperbole that Sony is immune from console launch deficiencies
Fair enough. Yeah nobody is immune to that lol. There's always gonna be a small percentage of people with issues out the gate even if the failure rate was infinitesimal on a product, which is practically impossible anyway. I'll be surprised if they're at a typically high fail rate though. Considering how fast both systems sold through stock I'm thinking its likely within standard margins.

The coil whine however does seem widespread but thats unlikely for most to return a unit over and many probably couldn't identify it if asked. Probably dependant on how loud the individuals is but personally mines rather hard to spot. Have to be playing a game late at night on very low volume and looking for it to notice. However with a louder unit it may be more bothersome

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
This entire discussion is based on one implicit assumption: That XSX has a more powerful GPU and hence that the games are underperforming compared to the hardware.

We do not know that.

What we know is that in the world of Internet forums, TFLOPS is everything despite the fact that so many GPUs of the years have shown this to be false. It is one of many metrics.

It is 100% possible that the current performance in games is aligned with the hardware in the two consoles. Furthermore, we do not know which console that will 'mature' the best over the generation. There are too many unknowns. Having said that, in previous generations early performance has correlated very well with the generation as such.
We can compare tflops of the consoles because they are on the same architecture. It makes less sense to compare tflops between generations or designs of GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.