• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think residential pools should be legal?

• Yes

Votes: 144 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • They can stay legal as long as they are taxed

Votes: 9 5.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
I like the part where you hope that anyone who owns a pool has their ancestors stabbed. Excellent take there.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So it would be Communist pools only? The good thing about them is if enough people pee and it rains sometimes they are self-sustaining.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Water is an abundant resource that is not in short supply. Drinkable water is a different story, but the water used in a swimming pool isn't clean or drinkable, so it's not really wasting a resource. The reason potable water is in short supply is because of societal, governmental, and technological problems regarding its purification and distribution, not because water is a difficult thing to find.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Pools are not the problem, OP.

On top of all the water needed to create tires for cars, manufacturing a car itself can use more than 39,000 gallons of water. Water is needed during most of the manufacturing process, including surface treatment coating, washing, rinsing, hosing, and cooling.

A 60-watt incandescent lightbulb, when left on for 12 hours a day in a year, uses up to 6,000 gallons of water. The water is used for either cooling generators or producing steam.

It takes 1,799 gallons of water to produce a 16-ounce steak because that's how much water a cow consumes before it arrives on someone's dinner plate.

thestacker.com

How much water it takes to create 30 common items

Stacker compiled the water footprint of 30 common items to examine how much water goes into producing the things people use every day.

We are just fucked anyway.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda get the OP.

in the near future, water problems could arise. access to freshwater could change. there are already people paying more for water than ever before and people are getting priced out of being able to afford water, in fucking America.

So yeah, I kind of get it. Places in Asia and Africa where access to water is a super-premium, and we waste water, well, like water over here.

We've been lucky so far, but climate change could make us have to pay attention too. Water Wars are very real possibility in the next century.

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
Pools are the DEVIL"S LAW.
And any one of you that are obeying the devil's law, are going to be arrested. All of you are practicing the devil's law.
What happened to Bill Gates? Why is he not in jail? Why is Hillary Clinton not in jail? Why are all of these pool-philes that are demanding you all to listen to their rules, why are they not in jail? Oh, is it because you're part of them?
Are you partial to the deep end?
The deep end is going down, and if any you are in the deep end, you are going down with it.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Pools are the DEVIL"S LAW.
And any one of you that are obeying the devil's law, are going to be arrested. All of you are practicing the devil's law.
What happened to Bill Gates? Why is he not in jail? Why is Hillary Clinton not in jail? Why are all of these pool-philes that are demanding you all to listen to their rules, why are they not in jail? Oh, is it because you're part of them?
Are you partial to the deep end?
The deep end is going down, and if any you are in the deep end, you are going down with it.
why do we always let the religious nuts take the mic in these discussions again?

Feb 4, 2018
Water is an abundant resource that is not in short supply. Drinkable water is a different story, but the water used in a swimming pool isn't clean or drinkable, so it's not really wasting a resource. The reason potable water is in short supply is because of societal, governmental, and technological problems regarding its purification and distribution, not because water is a difficult thing to find.
You're telling me I shouldn't be drinking the pool water? Uh oh.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Residential pools do feel a bit like a gargantuan waste.
In a really hot area, you'd have to keep filling them up, and those same area's tend to be the ones that struggle with drought.
But I don't know how much water refilling them actually uses.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
What if I fill it with money instead

Ok Scrooge McDuck.

Pools aren't just for the rich. Hell, my parents are on social security and they have a pool.

Maybe not stupid money rich, but if you've got a pool in your backyard you're upper middle class at a minimum. They do cost a decent amount to install and maintain.

It depends on the filtration system. If you have a high end reverse osmosis filter, you need to use very little chemicals. So little that, yes, it is drinkable

The Yacht and Beach Club pool at Disney World uses a system like that. It has no chemicals so when you go swimming there you will occasionally get a family of ducks swimming by.

I kinda get the OP.

in the near future, water problems could arise. access to freshwater could change. there are already people paying more for water than ever before and people are getting priced out of being able to afford water, in fucking America.

Honestly, I just assumed OP saw Tank Girl for the very first time.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Idk why you think pools are for the rich. Tons of poor people across the South have the cheap ones. Hell, growing up, we even got one of the ones with the inflatable ring that rises as you add the water.

I know you said "forget about California" but this feels like a California thing

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Its always important to question how we, as people, pool and utilize the resources provided by our environment.
With that said though, it is clear that this thread is already swimming in the assumption that this thread was not made in good faith and will not produce a healthy discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.