• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Let's be honest, with over 900 games and 25 releasing each week, the vast, vast majority of indie games get released after four years of hard work to little fanfare, sell only to some family and friends, after which the two guys working on it file for bankruptcy and then figure out what else to do with their life. We get all these success stories, but indie games are not a success on Switch, nor on any other store.

With that cynicism out of the way. While it's hard to say whether the overall volume of indies sell better on Switch or just a few peak ones, Switch software seems to be doing remarkably well, because it attracts a core crowd to a handheld. Previously handhelds were bought by kids or for on the side, which depressed the number of software sales. That handhelds still did fine in attach rates actually showed a lot of untapped potential that is now getting tapped by Switch.

Oct 26, 2017
Underperforming being the minority doesnt mean that the majority has over performered.

Most titles probably sell around what is expected and that at full price....which already is a big upgrade compared to some other store where you cant expect any kind of numbers before some severe price drops.

Also Jools in general seem to have had some crazy expectations with its past releases....next to no marketing, premium price points and still expecting the games to sell well when there is much high quality indie content available.
Not being a developer myself (and only realizing in hindsight I'd just replied to mclem, d'oh!) I really can't say what are considered normal sales expectations. So there's no way for me to even make an educated guess as to what would be considered performing as expected.

Right now it feels as though the amount and rate of releases on Switch are getting out of hand and that many decent games are being lost in the shuffle.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Josh from Mighty Rabbit said Saturday Morning RPG's digital sales were below expectations a while ago, but I believe the physical release made up the difference eventually.

That's the one I was thinking of, thanks! Wasn't aware that the physical release had changed matters a bit.

Jan 9, 2018
You forgot the biggest reason: Nintendo is heavily pushing (and courting) indie developers. The News channel often features indie games and it now even has a channel that focuses on indie games and developers. They also regularly release "Nindie Directs" where indie games are the sole focus. And if the game is prominent enough they will even feature it during main directs or even E3 (Celeste, Hollow Knight, Rocket League, Undertale, etc.). Nintendo treats indie developers much better than Sony and Microsoft ever have.
I was about to point out that. For an indie game that doesn't have the cash to do publicity, having a free publicity boost from Nintendo will make it visible to many people who would miss it otherwise. Just yesterday I was watching a couple of "reaction" videos to yesterday indie direct and many of the games that were already a great success in other platforms were completely unknown to Nintendo focus youtubers.

OP
OP
Boiled Goose

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Josh from Mighty Rabbit said Saturday Morning RPG's digital sales were below expectations a while ago, but I believe the physical release made up the difference eventually.

OT: I do find it fantastic the way Nintendo are giving indie games exposure and its nice to see all these success stories. I was a big advocate of indies on Vita (Still am) and the handheld form factor meshes so well with many of these titles.

I really wish there had been an indie explosion early in Vita's life but sadly it came a bit too late (2014 onwards) so Switch makes for an interesting case study of what happens when you push these games early on. Same thing PS4 did too actually.

Link to post or article?
(So that I can update the OP)

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Cosmic Star Heroine on Switch is trending below Steam sales (which the developer mentioned were below its projections). That is one that I don't understand. Octopath proved that there is a ravenous market for old school RPGs, and the game has the exact same type of trajectory as Blossom Tales (Kickstarter hype, release on other platforms, later release on Switch).

I will never understand this. CSH is such a great game, with nothing but high praise, and it fails to find a large audience everywhere it it goes.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just want to say i still have it on my Wish List and plan to buy it later. I am still not finished with octopath so it is still kind of hard for me to commit to another RPG like that at the moment.

And the last Month was realy kind of crazy with the combination of the release of dead cells and overcooked 2, the summer sales and 2 indi presentations with shadow drops for a few games. I imagine i was not the only one effected by all of this and i hope the sales for the game pick up a little bit later on.
I'm in this same boat. I watched some gameplay video and Cosmic Star Heroine seems right up my alley, but I'm still playing through Octopath. And honestly, I'm a little burned out on rpgs. I've gone from one to the next for the past year. I love them, but I think I need a breather.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
What's impressive as well as the porting and approval time seem quite fast. Several games released earlier this year on other platforms are already out on the eShop (Iconoclasts, Into The Breach, etc...)

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
]

Oh yeah thats totally understandable...and as fans we appreciate the honesty and developers being able to share some light on these situations. My thinking back then was that employees at Nintendo had their plates more or less full and had allocated most resources already pre-launch. Seeing how much indie content is showing up from everywhere that was most likely the case - so when you are already at limits managing the rising demand you probably dont wanna see/read about news stories that Nintendo is hostile to some indie devs.

Switch was still a new system and not going anywhere, so even if the CSH situation was suboptimal at least for the next game there was another viable plattform for you guys to consider. Then again...thats all easier said than done if you arent the one that has to keep a dev studio afloat - no doubt that there were many teams in a similar spot, so it can be frustrating especially if you are comfortable with the way things are streamlined on established machines available.

Well and enough of that....as you said, no point in dwelling too much in the past. Considering the quality of CSH and your past games, no doubt in my mind that you will have no issues getting featured in a more prominent way for your upcoming title...assuming it Switch bound obv.

Best of luck from my side...i dont think CSH has reached its full sales potential yet,the system is still growing and the way content is displayed on the eShop has still ways to go....the quality is there and once it can be part of bigger sales promotions the numbers should add up.

Not being a developer myself (and only realizing in hindsight I'd just replied to mclem, d'oh!) I really can't say what are considered normal sales expectations. So there's no way for me to even make an educated guess as to what would be considered performing as expected.

Right now it feels as though the amount and rate of releases on Switch are getting out of hand and that many decent games are being lost in the shuffle.

Being lost in the shuffle is the standard expectations most of the time.....a breakout hit or selling way above the exceptions will always stay the exception. As long as quality titles for the most part get the numbers they deserve it should be good....but unknown games with average quality and no marketing wont set the world on fire.

Last edited:

Skyrise

CEO at MixedBag
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Italy

forma.8 dev here! :)

Yep we were quite happy with the Switch release last year: in the end this is our breakdown.

iOS > Switch > everything else

The game didn't do well on PlayStation / Xbox / Steam when we launched. Then we had a huge sales boost on iOS thanks to massive Apple featuring (the game is still being heavily featured on the App Store, so it's still selling quite well on the platform).
And then we had very good sales on Switch when we launched in August.

Sure, today the market is totally different: around 100 games on the eShop and 4 games per week compared to 1000 games and around 20-30 new games per week today.
We've launched five more games on Switch, and today it's definitely tougher to get noticed, but we're still getting the best numbers on Switch compared to other platforms (iOS aside).

OP
OP
Boiled Goose

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Yep we were quite happy with the Switch release last year: in the end this is our breakdown.

The game didn't do well on PlayStation / Xbox / Steam when we launched. Then we had a huge sales boost on iOS thanks to massive Apple featuring (the game is still being heavily featured on the App Store, so it's still selling quite well on the platform).

Sure, today the market is totally different: around 100 games on the eShop and 4 games per week compared to 1000 games and around 20-30 new games per week today.
We've launched five more games on Switch, and today it's definitely tougher to get noticed, but we're still getting the best numbers on Switch compared to other platforms (iOS aside).

Thanks for the update!

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017

Thanks for the reply, is that IOS > Switch in terms of sales, revenue or both? Looking on the stores your game is £3.99 on iOS and £8.99 on Switch

Skyrise

CEO at MixedBag
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Italy
Thanks for the reply, is that IOS > Switch in terms of sales, revenue or both? Looking on the stores your game is £3.99 on iOS and £8.99 on Switch

We changed the price quite a lot on iOS, it's now at 3.99 but it hit as high as 5.99 in the past.

Sales on iOS has been higher than Switch by a good margin and today the game is still selling well on iOS thanks to Apple featuring, while on Switch we only see significant number when the game is on sale.

Revenue wise probably iOS = Switch (I should check).

Also, the game has been part of the PSPlus lineup for PS4 and Vita, with very good download numbers.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Perfect appliance for those kind of games.

Also iOS/Android failed to to cater for games that require a controller, that dream of snap-on/blutooth controllers and shit is dead in the water, the app stores just don't cover it. Since that became clear, I guess there is a huge gap in the mobile market for Switch got to gobble up.

And as for steam - the opposite of an appliance - the last place I would want to buy a title like, say, Celeste. I feel like it had it's day before digital PS or Nintendo or Xbox stores really got established with market penetration and sales, etc.

One black mark on the switch is Rocket league, maybe it's the 3d controls in my hand, or the fact that in terms of performance it's barely hanging together, positively bursting at the seems, switch just doesn't seem to have the power to run it, pity, maybe Switch 2 will.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I think it would help to have timelines associated with these sales. I track weeks/months in my Notable Switch Games sheet, so here we go:
  • Brawlout - 80,000 in 1 month
  • Death Squared - 52,000 in 12 months
  • Enter the Gungeon - 75,000 in two weeks
  • FAST RMX - 100,000 in 6 months
  • Graceful Explosion Machine - 50,000 in 12 months
  • Hollow Knight - 250,000 in two weeks
  • Kamiko - 200,000 in 13 months
  • Overcooked: Special Edition - 500,000 in 8 months
  • Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove - 370,000 in 13 months
  • Stardew Valley - 1,000,000 in 5 months
  • Voez - 45,000 in 7 months
  • Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap - 100,000 in 7 months

At some point, I think it would also be interesting to compile how various games (for which we don't have sales) are tracking on the US eShop, week to week, and see if maybe we can make somewhat educated guesses about how they might have done by comparing them to these. I have the data in my sheet, but I haven't really compiled it into anything that makes sense.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Perfect appliance for those kind of games.

Also iOS/Android failed to to cater for games that require a controller, that dream of snap-on/blutooth controllers and shit is dead in the water, the app stores just don't cover it. Since that became clear, I guess there is a huge gap in the mobile market for Switch got to gobble up.

And as for steam - the opposite of an appliance - the last place I would want to buy a title like, say, Celeste. I feel like it had it's day before digital PS or Nintendo or Xbox stores really got established with market penetration and sales, etc.

One black mark on the switch is Rocket league, maybe it's the 3d controls in my hand, or the fact that in terms of performance it's barely hanging together, positively bursting at the seems, switch just doesn't seem to have the power to run it, pity, maybe Switch 2 will.
What about Rocket League? Is it not performing well on the Switch? Rocket League wasn't included in the OP and I hadn't heard anything about its performance.

feelingkettle

Nov 5, 2017
Nintendo is getting pretty great at marketing indies in a way i actually use their yt channel to have a lot of stuff on my radar to get on PC.

Tho is sorta stupid of them to not help in pushing CSH, since Switch's JRPG library still isn't exacty that big.

About Atooi, i really liked Chicken Wiggle but Mutant Mudds and Xeodrifter were pretty meh imo.
I feel like Atooi got lucky with the timing of Mutant Mudds. It was one of the first eshop games on the 3ds to use the 3d effect well. Everything else about the game was just decent. He seems to be surprised when his games either rereleased or new aren't hits like that one.

feelingkettle

Nov 5, 2017

Yeah, not sure about Nintendo's deal with all of that, but I do plan on getting the game eventually. I guess keep in mind that JRPGs are some of the most timesinky kinds of games there are, which might be hurting you a bit due to Octopath and all that. For me it's kinda hard to play more than one JRPG at a time, unlike some of the other genres out there. I for one was kinda disappointed with Octopath, so I'm definitely looking for an rpg in the future.

Maybe when Octopath has died down, have a modest sale to get it visible again? Also definitely consider the holidays, where people have more money and time to spend. Switch indies tend to have longer legs from what I've heard, so I wish you luck and look forward to playing your game eventually.

Last edited:

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I always wonder if openly criticizing is the right move in that situation - at the end of the day people run that dev-relation/indie support over there and you were one of the vocal public voices that criticized Nintendo for how they were treating indies based on your personal experience early in the life cycle.

Ever since last year we had a bunch of weeks with +20 eShop releases per week, a bunch of nindies showcases and who knows how many dev-kits sent to many devs worldwide. So i would assume that they have been already dedicating alot of resources to that area even if it wasnt enough to meet every devs demand or wishes.

There are alot of great games that get ported to the system and just appear without alot of fan fare or marketing support from the first party side....considering the volume of releases thats just not realistic to expect.

Limited resources and making them look somewhat bad online is probably not the best combination for getting some better treatment.....but i get your frustration. When you read about the indie success stories early on and have a game ready to drop asap, know it would do well because of the lack of competition...and then getting stonewalled must suck.
He did say that Sony manage to offer that level of support so it's clearly something Nintendo need to work on going forward.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
At some point, I think it would also be interesting to compile how various games (for which we don't have sales) are tracking on the US eShop, week to week, and see if maybe we can make somewhat educated guesses about how they might have done by comparing them to these. I have the data in my sheet, but I haven't really compiled it into anything that makes sense.

I would love for someone to do this. I've been wondering how eShop rank translates (or doesn't translate) into sales numbers, but I don't have the math skills or data to do it myself.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I would love for someone to do this. I've been wondering how eShop rank translates (or doesn't translate) into sales numbers, but I don't have the math skills or data to do it myself.

I could probably take a shot at it using my sheet, but the problem is it's very iffy to extrapolate global sales based on just the U.S. eShop rankings. That's partly why I haven't really done it yet. I'm not sure it's a responsible thing to do, especially if you make the data easily accessible and suddenly you have a thousand forum posters throwing around possibly inaccurate sales figures.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
He did say that Sony manage to offer that level of support so it's clearly something Nintendo need to work on going forward.
Before the PS4 launched ? I doubt that ...but if so good on them. The main issue was the lack of Switch dev kits and who would get them or being prioritized ...same situation a year later probably would have resulted in a diffrent outcome.

I think some of you are really underestimating how many indies wanted to port their stuff to the system or at least play around with the devkits compared to past system launches. Nintendo clearly wasn't ready for that.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

I wondered if you're aware of this that may be within your control. Players in Japan can't buy your game.
Oh, and it turns out I can't buy the game.

I'm using the Japanese eShop... where the game doesn't exist.

This title only supports English and can't be translated at all? https://steamcommunity.com/app/256460/discussions/0/133258593395966684/#c133261370009535168

Even so, there are other English-only games on the Japanese eShop (I think), so why not this one too...

Last edited by a moderator:

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lack of competition is absolutely a factor. We just had a thread about how several big games are having soft preorders because of RDR2. Having a platform where there are constantly titles releasing that have massive sales spikes (several million in 3 months or so) is absolutely going to suck air out of the room on any platform.

And not just in terms of straight up sales but also in terms of the platform holder having the bandwidth to promote them, consumers having money to spend (several $60 games a month + MTs vs several at a fraction of that), consumers having a greater number of service games to choose from and stick to plus infrastructure that supports those games well. We've seen this in action with Sony this very generation, publishers even had to compete with VR showcases on top of all of that.

Also I probably wouldnt speak so definitively when the picture isnt that clear. Limiting speculation to "notable" titles we have numbers for or the developer has provided "happy with sales" comments is far from the full picture (a thousand titles and OP lists a relative handful??) How often do we hear about "notable" indie games flopping on any platform? How often are we given comments on sales from titles that arent notable?

Oct 27, 2017
Graceful Explosion Machine deserves so much more than 50,000 sales. Easily one of the top ten indie games in Switch, if not top five. I hope it has sold a whole bunch more since that data released.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What about Rocket League? Is it not performing well on the Switch? Rocket League wasn't included in the OP and I hadn't heard anything about its performance.

It runs, and t's nice having it in your hand, but it feels hamstrung compared to even the base PS4 version, anyway, I don't want to derail a sales thread with rocket league performance issues...

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Before the PS4 launched ? I doubt that ...but if so good on them. The main issue was the lack of Switch dev kits and who would get them or being prioritized ...same situation a year later probably would have resulted in a diffrent outcome.

I think some of you are really underestimating how many indies wanted to port their stuff to the system or at least play around with the devkits compared to past system launches. Nintendo clearly wasn't ready for that.
It's perfectly OK to be a little critical towards Nintendo now and again you know. Nobodies perfect.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
That last past it interesting. It really does feel like Nintendo is targeting Steam darlings to get on Switch. The Into the Breach surprise launch totally fits in with that theory.
It's a buisness at the end of the day....the big sellers will always get the best treatment. Prior buisness relationships/references + sales potential + exclusive content is what matters. Just having a good game often isn't enough.

I assume you had some kind of prior relationship with the Indie Sony guys before the PS4 launch right ? Sony also skipped out on the Japanese launch to provide more systems for the western launch because their main competitor was launching at the same time.

At the same time the guys that had previous string relationships with Nintendo and released successful stuff on 3DS/WiiU like Shinen or Yacht Club were on board early enough to have games ready for launch.

So unless you made sure you would get a dev kit very early ....the chances were very slim after it's unveil and they were likely bombarded with hundreds enquiries per week.

With Sony and MS, you know that the big publishers and devs are all on board from day 1. With Nintendo and Switch you know that many of them probably had to re-up their devkit numbers when they saw the positive reaction to the unveiling and the first sales numbers. Coming from 3DS and WiiU they probably weren't well equipped to handle all these request in a satisfying manner.

Last edited:

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a buisness at the end of the day....the big sellers will always get the best treatment. Prior buisness relationships/references + sales potential + exclusive content is what matters. Just having a good game often isn't enough.

Yeah, I just think it's interesting they seem to be using Steam as a useful guide. Some of the games Switch is getting aren't even on other consoles yet. It's a good strategy.

I think you can almost predict some Switch surprises coming just looking at Steam. No Man's Sky, Two Point Hospital, Cities Skylines, Divinity OS2, The Universim, The Forest, etc are all potential candidates for launches soon if the tech allows.

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It's perfectly OK to be a little critical towards Nintendo now and again you know. Nobodies perfect.
There is too much information we don't have access to before making a call. For all we know they were doing their best with the ressources avaiable to them - your favorite indie game not showing up in time doesn't change the fact that overall they have been embracing Indies on the Switch. You will never be able to make everyone happy.

People were mad at Nintendo for not opening up the floodgates during launch and focusing more on newer experiences and a lower numbers of releases. Now people complain that there are too many releases per week.

Same way whenever a small unknown games get a spot during a Nintendo Direct ...there is another game that would have benefit from it or it makes it tougher for titles that don't get featured. That's just how it is.

Celeste sold amazing on Switch from what I recall ...and Towerfall Switch has been ready for a while, even they have to wait a couple of weeks to get their release spot.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
It's a very good news for the system, but not so surprising honestly; if you have the choice between a game that can only be played on your TV, and a similar game that can be played both on your TV and on the go, you will choose the latter 99% of the time. Some may prefer a controller over the other depending on the machine, but even then, I imagine that most of these people would buy a pro controller or pimp their joycon to have a proper d-pad.
Indies have little to no technical compromises on Switch, so portability is a big deal in that regard.

Oct 26, 2017
We changed the price quite a lot on iOS, it's now at 3.99 but it hit as high as 5.99 in the past.

Sales on iOS has been higher than Switch by a good margin and today the game is still selling well on iOS thanks to Apple featuring, while on Switch we only see significant number when the game is on sale.

Revenue wise probably iOS = Switch (I should check).

Also, the game has been part of the PSPlus lineup for PS4 and Vita, with very good download numbers.

Only if you feel comfortable answering this of course - but did you find making a demo to be worthwhile on Switch?

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

I assume you had some kind of prior relationship with the Indie Sony guys before the PS4 launch right ? Sony also skipped out on the Japanese launch to provide more systems for the western launch because their main competitor was launching at the same time.

At the same time the guys that had previous string relationships with Nintendo and released successful stuff on 3DS/WiiU like Shinen or Yacht Club were on board early enough to have games ready for launch.

So unless you made sure you would get a dev kit very early ....the chances were very slim after it's unveil and they were likely bombarded with hundreds enquiries per week.

With Sony and MS, you know that the big publishers and devs are all on board from day 1. With Nintendo and Switch you know that many of them probably had to re-up their devkit numbers when they saw the positive reaction to the unveiling and the first sales numbers. Coming from 3DS and WiiU they probably weren't well equipped to handle all these request in a satisfying manner.
Since he deleted his comments for whatever reason, I don't feel 100% comfortable continuing to discuss this, but I still feel that the following should be mentioned:
The game was featured at Playstation Experience 2015, and had an E3 2016 trailer on the Playstation channel (so also got a little exposure at E3 by Sony, even as part of a reel? no idea), and my memory may be cheating on me, but I think (though I may be wrong) there was also something Sony related at launch.
Between that and their not offering extra content for the Switch port as part of their pitch, Nintendo's stance in certain things (e.g. no priority for a dev kit and no special mention beyond the usual) is understandable, at least to me.
Of course Nintendo could indeed still do better in certain other ways.

Oct 27, 2017
His games are good, but as you say they are not great, so they go under in the sea of better games.
What bothers me is that he then blames everyting but the mediocrity of his own games for their failure.
There's only so many times you can release Mutant Mudds. I liked it on 3DS but I feel like it is regularly plonked on yet another system. Which is fine if it's just one game in a wide catalogue and there's an ever-present demand for it, but when the only other output is Totes the Goat and that chicken game it doesn't really excite people.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Cosmic Star Heroine on Switch is trending below Steam sales (which the developer mentioned were below its projections). That is one that I don't understand. Octopath proved that there is a ravenous market for old school RPGs, and the game has the exact same type of trajectory as Blossom Tales (Kickstarter hype, release on other platforms, later release on Switch).
By that logic, everyone who likes Call of Duty also has to like Battlefield, because they're both shooters.

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to post about your experiences. I've got the demo downloaded, I really should check it out asap.