• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Due to this Pandemic I'm wondering how are developers handling social distancing? Are they still working at the typical headquarters? Buildings? From home?

I can imagine that this is effecting live service based games and even games that promised continued support like the recent Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

Really curious since I've read literally almost nothing on the topic... aside from maybe Rare delaying support for Sea of Thieves?

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
Hi, Japan dev here, one day last month my boss was like "That's it, everyone grab their computers, you're all going home, save your cab receipts." We moved to using Zoom. We are being INCREDIBLY productive due to the lack of distractions, but we're pretty far along in dev and know what we're making.

Edit: We're a small team of 15 or so, however. I'd imagine on a larger team, the leads would need to herd cats a bit more.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Honestly, working QA from home has been a dream, minus the spread of Devices making coverage tests difficult, otherwise I have no distractions and can properly adjust my focus.

I do miss everyone though

OP
OP
Algorum

Algorum

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Hi, Japan dev here, one day last month my boss was like "That's it, everyone grab their computers, you're all going home, save your cab receipts." We moved to using Zoom. We are being INCREDIBLY productive due to the lack of distractions, but we're pretty far along in dev and know what we're making.

Edit: We're a small team of 15 or so, however. I'd imagine on a larger team, the leads would need to herd cats a bit more.
Great insight, thank you.

Best of luck to the team in these hard times.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I cant imagine making a AAA game in these conditions, how it would even work? 🤔

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing that I was always curious about is how do QA Testers work remotely? Do publishers have a Stadia/Xcloud-like service where testers can login remotely to and test it? Or do they have special consoles that can download beta's?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
It can be a bit rough on certain elements of the work, for example if you're doing something that requires enormous compile times in large numbers, or any long render periods, and obviously for stuff like mocap or orchestral soundtrack recording. A lot of development work is stuff you can do on a home PC, though. Take this opportunity to pick up the Unreal Engine and maybe some 3D modelling programs, feel around a bit! Maybe set up an ad-hoc soundstage in your laundry room and do some foley work or line reads.

Nov 20, 2019
Due to this Pandemic I'm wondering how are developers handling social distancing? Are they still working at the typical headquarters? Buildings? From home?

I can imagine that this is effecting live service based games and even games that promised continued support like the recent Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

Really curious since I've read literally almost nothing on the topic... aside from maybe Rare delaying support for Sea of Thieves?
From Home

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Honestly, working QA from home has been a dream, minus the spread of Devices making coverage tests difficult, otherwise I have no distractions and can properly adjust my focus.

I do miss everyone though
Hahahaha same here buddy

I'm the QA Manager, we focus on mobile and device coverage has been a nightmare

Besides that, everybody has been as efficient as working in the studio

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I know quite a few people in software (not specifically game dev) who are loving working from home. Less distractions. Less micromanagement. More time. No commute. The ability to have proper meals for lunch.

Of course I also know a few people who are like "I need the structure of work and the separation of home and office" so they're struggling.

SickNasty

Mar 18, 2020
If you have the kind of equipment and IT department needed to make a large video game, getting everyone to remote in from home is not particularly hard.

Keits

Designer at Iron Galaxy Studios
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Orlando, FL
IG is working from home, and being that we usually have two studios and remote people, it honestly isn't that big a change for us as far as day to day work goes. Meeting that include people offsite is pretty much every meeting for us already anyway.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Wait... Something changed?

Alternative answer: We were working from home before it was cool.

OP
OP
Algorum

Algorum

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
IG is working from home, and being that we usually have two studios and remote people, it honestly isn't that big a change for us as far as day to day work goes. Meeting that include people offsite is pretty much every meeting for us already anyway.
More great insight, thank you very much!

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
OP must not be familiar with the software industry. It's probably the most pandemic friendly industry around. Or alternatively WFH industry not to sound trivial.

Dec 4, 2018
I feel the common issue is similar to everyone else working from home now; keeping boundaries. Also, keeping somewhat of a decent circadian cycle.

OP
OP
Algorum

Algorum

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
OP must not be familiar with the software industry. It's probably the most pandemic friendly industry around. Or alternatively WFH industry not to sound trivial.
Not necessarily, no... good that it means that games and updates won't technically be delayed by COVID-19 but that still doesn't change that this is a new world we're basically living now.

Things might seem like normal and while some are not complaining much like you said that still doesn't change the fact that this is a completely new reality.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
The one thing that I was always curious about is how do QA Testers work remotely? Do publishers have a Stadia/Xcloud-like service where testers can login remotely to and test it? Or do they have special consoles that can download beta's?
Send qa home to work? Pff why? If they get sick, just let them go and hire on someone new for less$$$.

fattylion

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
There is no changes other than the workplace actually.

I figure every developer is using some repo like GitHub or SVN for code and assets.
JIRA or trello or wrike for task management.
Jenkins for build servers.
skype, slack etc for office communications and meetings.

QA and dev will probably have windows build and a select few i.e. leads would bring back the devices needed to test and fix bugs.

Submissions probably uploaded to some site the publisher or just the producer would have to go to the office to burn it into blu ray.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Mobile QA here. We ended up taking several devices and we're remote-ing in to download our builds. Streaming from the office would be a nightmare.

Zim

Senior Animator at Airship Syndicate
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Austin, TX
We have a very relaxed work environment. At any given time, a number of us WFH for a variety of reasons (sick kid, school's out, other kid gets sick, vet visit, first kid gets sick again, etc). So the current climate hasn't been a huge impact on me personally.

I do feel bad for the people who live alone (my fellow coworkers or any of y'all), it must hard being isolated from other people for so long.

We have our video conferences to try and combat the isolation, which helps (I think). I, like Domino, am excited to get back to the office. Stay safe out there Era and we will see ya on the other side of this thing.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
WFH. I do think it's hurting our productivity and motivation a touch, but nothing too significant and we're chugging away.