• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Along with the hardware issues, apps and software were a problem.

iPads actually had software built for the device in mind.

android devs rarely bothered.

people liked to make the 'big phone' jokes back when the iPad was announced, but in the end android tablets were actually very much exactly that. The apps and software was never really there.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Android tablets excel at being good enough for the price.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
The iPad (non pro) doesn't have near as much apple tax as iPhones do. I got the feeling that there just wasn't enough money in android tablets to make it worth investing. iPads are fucking cheap. I think they also found out the phablet market was more lucrative because Jobs seemed unwilling to chase it.

But lots of them still exist in Asia at least. People must be buying. And things like the surface line also compete with the pro.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I never had a good experience with Android tablets. Unoptimized apps, LAGGY af no matter what. Even when Google started making their own tablets, they suffered from utterly inexcusable levels of light bleed in the panels. Just a clusterfuck of a product line.

Actually. the Nvidia Shield was probably by far the best Android tablet, but they eventually just dropped it.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I loved my iPad and kept upgrading till the air 2, after that the updates didn't seem worth it and my iPhone kept getting bigger, to the point where I never use my iPad anymore. I honestly think phones getting bigger canalized tablet sales.

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't help that the first Android OS for tablets was a specific OS and it was on the XOOM which was a clunky thing to use. IIRC it was designed around landscape use versus iPad's portrait

Oct 28, 2017
Ive honestly never owned an android product that wasn't slow as shit.

First time, I bought an android acer tablet. Was decent for awhile then got crappy. Then few years later I got a htc one and soon after, it got where there was severe lag from testing after typing.

Apple products just work. They're great.

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Developers didn't seem to care even apps with iPad apps would just use the phone app on android tablets.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Terrible hardware. Terrible software. The iPad has really come into its own ever since they had slide over, split screen and more. Also the hardware to this day feels so beyond any other company for whatever reason. My iPad Mini still feels like science fiction tech when I use it in terms of form factor etc. My iPad Pro (not full screen) is still fast as hell and that refresh rate is incredible.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Cause Google failed to push developers on their platform to create apps for tablets. They had a pretty good tablet back then (Nexus 7 2013) but the experience was just using a bigger phone.

It doesn't help Google half asses their efforts and doesn't even lead as an example. Same thing happened to WearOS/Android Wear as well. There was potential and nothing came out of it.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
The iPad doesn't really have compromises. The base model is (relative to its performance) pretty cheap and the Pro model is pretty beefy; both of them run great out of the box and thereafter, and should satisfy most people's tablet needs as long as you don't go in expecting an actual laptop and accept the limitations of Apple's mobile OS and ecosystem.

There's like two Android tablets that are pretty good, arguably great even, but they are so expensive that at the price they retail for, you may as well consider something like a Microsoft Surface instead so you don't have to compromise on getting a full desktop experience. Or, ya know, maybe just get an iPad.

The rest of the Android tablet playing field is kind of shit. There are a few that are "fine" (and are similarly priced to the base iPad), but the large majority have notable drawbacks or are just slow, bad, and arguably unusable. If you literally want something to check your email on or you want something to give to your 4-year-old that you don't care if they fuck up, sure, there's options, but there's very few Android tablets on the market today that I would recommend as a daily driver. There just isn't the diversity of quality, powerful Android-powered tablets like there is in the space of Android-powered phones unfortunately.

Last edited:

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Because you had multiple manufactures make android tablets with guidelines from google on what they should be. All race to the bottom prices. Lack of software updates and android for many years ran like garbage long term.

Samsung is the only decent android tablet maker but the android tablet App Store is still limited. Most apps are still only designed for phones.

Google has moved on to chrome OS where they see a large edu market and a big upswing in corporate use. In fact they just added a tablet mode to Chrome OS last month and it's pretty good.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I think a huge part of that is that people just don't replace a tablet with the same frequency they will a cellphone. My mom is still using an Air 2 that she bought 5 years ago.
Yup, I had my iPad Mini 2 for at least 5 years, and my current iPad Pro 11in (2018 I think) that I got last year runs amazingly well and I'll probably have it for over 5 years unless the battery completely dies or I need to sell it for cash.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think ultimately the problem is that the tablet market is too small for manufacturers to put a lot of time and effort into crafting a good tablet OS/UI. I don't think Google ever made a tablet-focused variant of Android, so it's not like phones where a manufacturer can just load up an OS somebody else made and call it a day.

There's also the problem that Apple owns the high-end tablet market, Amazon owns the low-end tablet market......not a whole lot of room for new competitors to make a name for themselves.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Android tablets never got "tablet versions" of apps like the iPad did, so you were stuck with having phone apps (designed for 4-5 inch screens) appearing on 7-11 inch ones. Not only they looked bad, they also were never designed for huge screens. Not to say that a lot of them were supposed to be used in portrait while people wanted them in landscape. Meh. Add to that the fact that Android is open and thus there are tons of really shitty devices with terrible specs that can't really handle apps lol. iPads were always 'premium' (even the entry level ones) so they were always 'good enough' for decent experience.

Because the Android tablets all sucked.
The Nexus 7 was great device and it was cheap. After it failed... it was the end of it all.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I feel it was because uneducated people where buying $20(really low cost) tablets from Kohl's and non electronic stores with high expectations only to be disappointed in outdated Android software and low end specs. There are good android tablets but you cant buy a Kia and expect Ferrari performance. You cant say Android tablets suck because you only owned low end tabs.

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
There's a lot of answers, but the one that will never ever change is Update Support. Finding out that your 2 year old tablet that you bought on release isn't getting updates is really annoying. iOS devices almost always get at least 5 major updates worth of support, even the "cheap" devices.

Android tablets never got "tablet versions" of apps like the iPad did, so you were stuck with having phone apps (designed for 4-5 inch screens) appearing on 7-11 inch ones. Not only they looked bad, they also were never designed for huge screens. Not to say that a lot of them were supposed to be used in portrait while people wanted them in landscape. Meh. Add to that the fact that Android is open and thus there are tons of really shitty devices with terrible specs that can't really handle apps lol. iPads were always 'premium' (even the entry level ones) so they were always 'good enough' for decent experience.

The Nexus 7 was great device and it was cheap. After it failed... it was the end of it all.

Quick reminder that the Nexus 7 came out 7 years ago. It's been that long since there was a noteworthy Android tablet.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Simplest answer: consistency. Granted I can't quite put together what I trying to say but I can generally have a similar experience with my iPad Pro 2020 opposite of someone with a older model or completely difference SKU altogether (exceptions of course).

And of course there is the marketing, the ecosystem, etc.

Google/Android just couldn't (or can't period) compete. I hope that changes in the future... maybe tightening up the ecosystem just a tad or more would help?

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Nexus 7 was great and I loved it. Bought it in 2013 and gave it to my mother-in-law in order to buy the "latest and greatest" android tablet back in 2015 - yeah, no. I got screwed there.

I just don't like iOS for phones or tablets, but the iPad is years ahead of every android tablet in the world.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I honestly thought both Android and Apple tablets were absolutely useless for the most part, especially at the beginning (I owned a Nexus 7). Apple has made the iPad a lot more "computer" like though which is great and finally made me buy one with the magic keyboard and apple pencil.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Google doesn't care. Chrome OS is their tablet.

iPads last forever, OS, and hardware is superior.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a harmony of hardware and software that Android struggled to match, and still struggles to fully match. The iPad never felt like just a bigger phone, Apple managed to have it feel like it was in its own niche. A big part of that was having good developer support behind it. Android tablets never really had that. Every one i've tried just felt like a supersized phone. That's probably changed since I last used one tho.

I loved my iPad and kept upgrading till the air 2, after that the updates didn't seem worth it and my iPhone kept getting bigger, to the point where I never use my iPad anymore. I honestly think phones getting bigger canalized tablet sales.

Weirdly I went the opposite route. I absolutely love my 11 inch iPad Pro, probably my favorite device I own. I started just carrying that in my backpack and when it came time to change my phone, I went with the smaller phone for the first time ever. I'm more likely to just pull my tablet out than my phone. But for most people I wouldn't be surprised if they cannibalized sales.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Platform warring, Numerous prior bans for similar behavior
Because real professional uses a real laptop to do their works when they're on the move. While videophile, watch their favourite movies and TV shows on an OLED screen with at least 65 inch screen sizes fully calibrated at 800 nits at 10% full screen window. Tablet is for kids and housewives. I'm not surprised that the majority of android users don't like the form factor of the tablet because most Android users are disciplined professional who don't used kid's toys to do their work.

Oct 26, 2017
Android tablets were the home of the "good enough" app experience. The apps being blown up phone apps means the experience wasn't something that excited users.

They were utilitarian, which isn't the experience someone plops down hundreds of dollars for.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
i dunno, i love my samsung tablet, and will probably get another.

that said, i never use stock OS, and always install an optimized custom rom. No slowdowns or speed issues ever, except when I'm punching above weight trying to emulate a Wii or something.

I hate the iPad, hated when businesses tried to force them, hate whenever i have to use one.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Never used a good Android tablet, the software experience is just plain bad as little software is well optimized for the larger screen.

Another huge issue is that the cheap Android tablets are super poor on many aspects and the premium ones are priced like iPads yet deliver a significantly worse user experience overall.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Because real professional uses a real laptop to do their works when they're on the move. While videophile, watch their favourite movies and TV shows on an OLED screen with at least 65 inch screen sizes fully calibrated at 800 nits at 10% full screen window. Tablet is for kids and housewives. I'm not surprised that the majority of android users don't like the form factor of the tablet because most Android users are disciplined professional who don't used kid's toys to do their work.
That's an impressive amount of ignorance in just one post.

lol @ iPads being for kids and housewives.

Oct 26, 2017

😂

This is amazing. Now do one where you don't sound like an angry OS warrior.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Because real professional uses a real laptop to do their works when they're on the move. While videophile, watch their favourite movies and TV shows on an OLED screen with at least 65 inch screen sizes fully calibrated at 800 nits at 10% full screen window. Tablet is for kids and housewives.
Lol not anymore. iPads, particular Pros, with Apple Pencils and are being used more and more as replacements for laptops, for professional artist work, and by university students for note taking. These days I like to use my iPad Pro as a laptop replacement for everything including writing, while mainly using my MacBook Pro for Adobe apps.

I'm not surprised that the majority of android users don't like the form factor of the tablet because most Android users are disciplined professional who don't used kid's toys to do their work.
LOOOOL

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Android tablets are trash (I have a Samsung T800 or something along that number) and many of the apps rarely optimize for the bigger screen.

Hell, I think I saw more of a push for tablet optimized apps when honeycomb launched alongside the Xoom

Last edited:

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Because Apple was riding high off device mindshare and absolutely solid products (the iPad 2 was the best tablet computer on release and still looks modern) and Google did nothing but appeal to nerds leaving the Android market to Samsung's devices and a flood of Amazon and branded devices that are ok for the low price.
I think ultimately the problem is that the tablet market is too small for manufacturers to put a lot of time and effort into crafting a good tablet OS/UI. I don't think Google ever made a tablet-focused variant of Android, so it's not like phones where a manufacturer can just load up an OS somebody else made and call it a day.

There's also the problem that Apple owns the high-end tablet market, Amazon owns the low-end tablet market......not a whole lot of room for new competitors to make a name for themselves.
Honeycomb says hi (also why 2.x android phones took years to finally go away with the 500 different awful skins on them)

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
They just don't have the amount of apps an ipad has. I will disagree with a lot of people in this thread in that I think that there are good android tablets. But there's a lot more bad ones than good ones out there. I've only used samsung android tablets, and in my experience they're fine for most tablet things.

That said I do own an ipad, and from using both, its really only the apps that are the difference in my opinion. Though in general I don't use it that often because I don't have much use for a tablet.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed my Nexus 7 in it's heyday. But then all the phones got huge and I didn't see much point carrying around a 6"+ size phone and a tablet on top of that.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Lets not pretend Google is really great at hardware or maintaining projects, or supporting things in the long term....

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people ITT are forgetting that Apple controls the hardware of iPad family vs. Android tablets needing to rely on different chipsets. This can result in inconsistent performance over time, especially as Android tablets are inherently wonky with how you need to support it for different chipsets. I have more confidence in Samsung's Galaxy series when they use the Snapdragon Processors.

Apple's control over their own hardware (as much as it sucks software-wise, and customization-wise), is what leads to seamless performance across multiple devices.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I enjoyed my Nexus 7 in it's heyday. But then all the phones got huge and I didn't see much point carrying around a 6"+ size phone and a tablet on top of that.
Yeah, I also figure this sunk tablet sales in general when phones got cheaper with big screens making anything that isn't super cheap or a quality device is a no sell zone

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I mean... if we're honest, tablets are just "internet while pooping" devices. I would assume the percentage of the population doing more on that on their tablets is probably small. In such use cases, you will not find that Android tablets are really lacking in any meaningful way.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Because the Android tablets all sucked.
This is a shit first post. They have not all "sucked" (a lot of them have been trash though).

Samsung premium tablets are actually pretty great, can be bought for good prices, and are potentially better solutions for certain people (if you don't care about apps or drawing specifically) and just want a fantastic media option for streaming, reading, local video, comics, etc.

Not saying that Apple doesn't offer the best tablet experience, but by no means do all android tablets suck no matter what the fanboys in this thread argue.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
iOS is good
Android is garbage for tablets

Also Android tablets tend to suck ass hardware-wise

That's all there is to it

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I think iOS works better on larger screens.

Android works better on phones.

I prefer Android phones and iOS tablets, and not the other way around.