• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
TLOU has the story and gameplay elements that BOTW doesn't have.

We all know that BOTW is overrated and if they just repeat the same formula in part 2 is going to be a boring survival simulator once again.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm replaying it now since I never saw the ending & I want to see the DLC. I'm honestly really enjoying it. Maybe it's because of the lack of WRPGs this gen, but there's a ton that DA:I does really well. I think the big difference is that i'm doing nearly none of the side content except for companion quests, and i'm using Cheat Engine to give myself enough power to progress when I want to. Removing the content slog makes the game super enjoyable for me, especially because it still looks great, has really good companions and I love DA lore. As a streamlined game that doesn't overstay its welcome it's really good, where I burned out hard on it the first time I tried to beat it.

I think if Bioware had scraped like 70% of the side content or removed the power gating, the game would have been looked back upon much more positively.

I can definitely see how mainlining the good bits would drastically improve the game. I think for me, the game lost me as soon as I came across the second "Find a bunch of shards!" quest. If I had known to just not bother with those, I would have been a much happier player.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we please not?
Threads like this will alwaqys end in some bad shit and full of hatred.
There are enough game to cheer about

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
Journey is unbelievably dull and has almost nothing new or interesting to say.

Skyrim's main questline is terrible (the sidequests are fun though)

Until Dawn has a good first half but an atrocious second half

LA Noire is fun for about an hour until it gets dull and repetitive

DOOM is stylish but it's literally the same thing for the whole game (enter room, clear enemies, enter next room, repeat), painfully repetitive

Night in the Woods thinks its narrative is better than it is, and is just so dull to play

EDIT: also Vanquish, so disappointing considering Platinum are my favourite developers, their worst game by a mile

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can definitely see how mainlining the good bits would drastically improve the game. I think for me, the game lost me as soon as I came across the second "Find a bunch of shards!" quest. If I had known to just not bother with those, I would have been a much happier player.

Yeah I think it's a game that is really good if you can play it a certain way by using cheats. Otherwise, it's a really good game buried in a nightmarish slog of content. If you play it as Bioware intended, there's so much padding and repetition between the good parts that it will lead to an overall mediocre experience. Experiencing it this way, it's probably my favorite Dragon Age game. It's so frustrating that this isn't the game they let us experience by default.

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
All Bethesda games, The Witcher 3, MW2, MW3.

Every Bethesda game is a poorly designed, ugly broken mess with clunky mechanics. The Witcher 3 is a quality game no doubt but was kind of boring and MW2/MW3 are fun but that's it.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5's story wishes it could be as good as 3/4.

4 and 5 are two of my favorite game of all time but even I'm not going to try and claim the main stories were particularly good in either of them, and certainly not in 4. 3's story is quite a bit better although it all kind of comes towards the end of the game

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
All GTAs are overrated, they are great games but far from the near perfect scores they always get. I assume RDR must be the same but I never played it...

I couldnt play more than an hour of Bloodborne because a game where you can die with one/two attacks can't have 1 minute loading screens, so I will also vote for that.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Probably Skyrim for me, that was a real disappointment coming from Oblivion. Watered down to hell in back, far less memorable quests, worse guilds, the world looked drab and boring, the dungeon designs were pretty much all hallways that turned in on themselves, and way worse enemy variety.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
God of War. Sorry but I didn't like it. Bad RPG mechanics and no epic bosses. It's not God of War. There are others of course, and that doesn't mean the game is bad. But I really never understood all the praise for this one. Especially when compared to previous episodes.

And this year I would say Control. I love Remedy, but never could get in this game :'(

jcroix

Oct 27, 2017
Neo Yokio
Basically every major AAA "prestige" game. The Last of Us, God of War, Red Dead 2... marketing campaigns doing overtime for games that don't actually have anything interesting to say but they play real well in trailers and gigantic E3 presentations and if there's that much money and that much press involved it's got to be the best, right?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Why not focus this energy on praising games that didn't receive much attention? :)

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's Bloodborne for me. I jumped in late and it really didn't live up to my expecations at all. The frame pacing from hell made me feel nauseous as well.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Dogma feels like a janky arpg that lacks well-written dialogues and good NPCS..It doesn't deserve the praise it got imo

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna have to go wi-zzzZzzZZZZ

oops don't mind me just fell asleep on account of how boring, stale, and predictable discussions like these are

You know what else is boring, stale, and predictable? Fallo-uh oh-zzZZzzZzZZ

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
BOTW, i really don't get why people act like it's the greatest game ever. Did people sleep on all the Ubisoft games?

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lol your favorite game is an overrated piece of crap.
If you had a correct opinion like mine then it wouldn't be overrated. It'd be rated deservedly. Sorry, not sorry. Get better opinions.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Mario Odyssey is the most overrated game of all time.
Breath of the Wild.
Persona 5.
Final Fantasy XV.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Nier Automata

It was cool and all - but replaying a game so many times to "fully experience" it was a bit much, the combat was dull and overall felt the payoff didn't deserve the hype tbh. Not a bad game, but not outstanding either.

Also - another vote for BOTW. It was an average Ubisoft game with Link in it.

I'll show myself out.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This would be my pick. I think Toby Fox himself said he felt the Game was an 8/10 quirky rpg with the music being the best part, and I completely agree with that. I got into the game before the fandom really developed and really enjoyed it. The characters are good, the storytelling is charming, it has a genuine and emotional ending, but at the end of the day, it was just another fun indie game to me. The way it blew up felt like it diminished what made it so special.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I really didn't like The Last of Us. The setting is as generic as can be, the plot follows the princess is in another castle trope and the gameplay is terrible. The only part of the game I enjoyed is the interaction between Ellie and Joel.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like these days I see more people complaining about how Mario Odyssey is overrated than people actually praising the game.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Every game Rockstar made this decade

Straight up the gameplay is middling at best and out right bad in other cases, and to me that's a non-negotiable. You can not be sub par at the defining characteristic of the medium.

Even Max Payne 3 for how good it's ballistics feels is gimped compared to previous games in the series. Ridiculous landing lag, his base movement is like a fridge with legs, more limited weapon wheel, and one inane scripted ass cutscene after another.

And on top of that outside of Red Dead, they ain't even good at the story telling part. Max Payne 3s story is straight rubbish, and GTAVs plot line is a mess.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
As a Nintendiva, this is absolutely the Super Mario Odyssey thread. Whenever I give Mario games a go I usually have in mind that I'll do two playthroughs: the first one just to get a general idea of what the game has to offer and the second one to get all collectibles and unlock all levels.

It's been two years since Odyssey came out and never did I feel compelled enough to hunt down all those 999 moons. After fighting Bowser, I got to the moon (or does that happen before? I'm not sure and I guess it speaks to how forgettable the experience is) and maybe messed around for like 25 minutes before deciding it was good enough and dropped it for good. A part of me really hopes they don't go with Odyssey 2 next because there's just so much more they could do with the Galaxy universe (and an HD collection would totally send me to the hospital) and 3D World was incredibly charming.

Odyssey was... just okay. A great game on its own and an average Mario game I guess.

Oct 26, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn for me. Had nice visuals but I didn't enjoy the character of Alloy or the overall art direction of the game aside from some of the robot designs.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd probably go with Vanquish. It's a fun game, but far from the best third person shooter ever that Era wants you to believe it is.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
Bloodborne. I enjoyed it the first time through, but it felt shallow compared to the rest of From's recent output. The combat was streamlined to the point of feeling completely one-note, and it never felt satisfying enough to justify how much simpler it was. Going back to replay the game when the DLC was released, I was mostly just bored.

The Fishing Hamlet is not overrated though. I'll give you that one, Bloodborne-stans. One of From's best levels.

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA BREATH OF THE WILD

UNCHARTED 4: THIEF'S END

BOTW is wowish if you haven't played open world games for years... and the shrines alone are utterly disappointing. I finished every shrine, BTW.

Years have passed and I really do not understand the insane praise the latter got. I purchased a PS4 TO PLAY it.

Last edited:

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Threads like this are always gonna be filled with hot takes so here it goes:

Control strikes me as being overrated because you really didn't hear much GoTY talk about it when it released and now its being a front runner for GoTY. Just kinda odd. I don't hate the game's success as its definitely a morale booster for the devs but I never thought people saw it as a strong GoTY contender post launch

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Why not focus this energy on praising games that didn't receive much attention? :)

Well it's basically a reaction to the already existing most Underrated Games of the Decade thread

My contribution to this topic is Divinity: Original Sin, a game in which combat is the only notable takeaway, and even then only parts of it.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last of us

boring gameplay that was done a million times better in splinter cell conviction

story and cinematic and that stuff were phenomenal but as a game it's lame.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Most well liked games that I don't like, I can understand the appeal of. Skyrim, Soulsborne. I completely get the appeal.

If we're talking critically, then my answer would be Dragon Age: Inquisition. That game was both hot trash to me and one where I just didn't get whatever the appeal behind it is. That gets a lot of hate by vocal people on the internet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.