• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
anybody defending this as "productive to get trump out" is thinking about only 2020, while these ads were devised to rehabilitate the conservative legacy come 2024, 2028 and every election in between and beyond. If you are against everything Trump stands for, then you should be against these guys, too—they're attacking him because they don't think cleaning his image is worth their $$$.

Barbarossa

Oct 30, 2017
I think the question for me is why is it specifically these Lincoln Project ads that keep getting posted. There are dozens of anti-Trump super PACs making hundreds of ads that don't get threads here. Why aren't we highlighting the work of those organizations instead of these ghouls. This site actively discourages posting right wing sources even if the reporting isn't explicitly right wing. Yet that line of thought goes out the window for these political ads.
I think it's mostly because of their lack of decorum which aligns with how many people feel right now, and that Biden's campaign won't run with because of a need to appear above such low blows.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what Im talking about. I disagree with that poster that these ads cannot be used for pushing trump out of office now and ignore the company later. But I should be having that conversation with that poster. Not with you holding them up in front of yourself like some shield. Let people speak for themselves. How about you offer an opinion on the matter instead of wielding someone else. You know what Im talking about. I dont think even for a second that you don't understand me.

It happens on this forum all the time, and specifically with posters from minority backgrounds. If you have something to say YOURSELF, say it.

My opinion on this is that its ridiculous to count posting these ads on a forum like this "promotion" when it doesn't have even remotely the reach that even the smallest TV ad campaign does. That a few no name posters in a thread having a laugh at Trump getting shit on is NOT tantamount to "whitewashing Reagans" legacy and that to believe such outlandish nonsense is a sign that one really needs to step back and reasses their world view. This website is not the end all be all of the world. Its a small grain of sand on a beach that 99% of living beings will go to their grave never having known it existed.

Pretending that an individual thread on this forum weighs so much is ridiculous, and MAYBE a bit unhealthy.

Ok, as an Asian who is Asexual I find these ads insulting in their whitewashing the past presidents, including one who committed genocide on the LGBT people. I agreed with that poster because I am also someone on the LGBT spectrum.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
I think the question for me is why is it specifically these Lincoln Project ads that keep getting posted. There are dozens of anti-Trump super PACs making hundreds of ads that don't get threads here. Why aren't we highlighting the work of those organizations instead of these ghouls. This site actively discourages posting right wing sources even if the reporting isn't explicitly right wing. Yet that line of thought goes out the window for these political ads.
because trump talked about this one and doesnt like it. that's it.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
Their existence is actively harmful, their positions without merit, their views bigoted and hateful, and their reasoning reliant on a twisted warped reality that collapses upon any scrutiny. There is no reason to act as if they are a normal political entity when they are merely quieter extremists themselves.

I agree with you. I and others are not advocating for a single policy they represent. If we had a magic wand, we'd wipe them all out of political existence. We do not have a magic wand. For the foreseeable future with our two party system, there will be a Republican party. They will gain power again in the future, no matter how devastating their defeat this November. To this extent, TLP is valuable. They may not only play a not to be underestimated role in flipping the Senate and creating a massive democratic mandate, they may succeed in vanquishing Trumpism and shifting the overton window back to the left. This is a good thing, and it doesn't mean the fight stops there.

You're the one saying they're advocating for their political existence as if that's supposed to do something or change how they're a marketing firm. I don't give a fuck? Fuck them and their political existence.

I just said you fundamentally misunderstand them. You don't care about that and that's fine with me. I'm certainly not endorsing their positions.

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My guess, production values. ERA is a media-centric community and it loves a snazzy video.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you. I and others are not advocating for a single policy they represent. If we had a magic wand, we'd wipe them all out of political existence. We do not have a magic wand. For the foreseeable future with our two party system, there will be a Republican party. They will gain power again in the future, no matter how devastating their defeat thus November. To this extent, TLP is valuable. They may not only play a not to be underestimated role in flipping the Senate and creating a massive democratic mandate, they may succeed in vanquusion Trumpism and shifting the overton window back to the left. This is a good thing, and it doesn't mean the fight stops there.

The issue is that shifting things back towards Bush or back towards Reagan because they're better leaders like some people in this thread have said whitewashes the atrocities that these 2 men caused to America and what future Republicans can cause as well if we just pretend that this kind of rhetoric is good because it serves a purpose in the short term.

It really reminds me of the way that people treat nicely worded bigotry like it's acceptable in comparison to the loud ones. Whether someone is being loud or quiet about their bigotry, they are still causing damage to minorities, and the influence that they have only expands when they're a President. We can not sit here and pretend that any ads glorifying people who have killed people just like us and people we know is a good thing, or an acceptable loss because all that says to Republicans is that they just have to go back to not being so in your face with the way they kill us and people will let it slide like they have constantly before Trump

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
The issue is that shifting things back towards Bush or back towards Reagan because they're better leaders like some people in this thread have said whitewashes the atrocities that these 2 men caused to America and what future Republicans can cause as well if we just pretend that this kind of rhetoric is good because it serves a purpose in the short term.

It really reminds me of the way that people treat nicely worded bigotry like it's acceptable in comparison to the loud ones. Whether someone is being loud or quiet about their bigotry, they are still causing damage to minorities, and the influence that they have only expands when they're a President. We can not sit here and pretend that any ads glorifying people who have killed people just like us and people we know is a good thing, or an acceptable loss because all that says to Republicans is that they just have to go back to not being so in your face with the way they kill us and people will let it slide like they have constantly before Trump

It seems we're having a two-pronged conversation here - one about this ad and the other about TLP as a whole.

In regard to this specific ad, I see it as pointing out single moments in time when a president comforted the nation in the immediate aftermath of a tragedy. To that end, it's not necessarily a wholehearted endorsement. We'd have to believe TLP is also likewise giving that blanket endorsement to Clinton and Obama if that were true.

That said, given the messenger and the personal connection some here have with atrocities committed by those depicted, I'm not going to tell you you're wrong for despising it and the group behind it. I've specifically avoided engaging on that front because it's not my place to tell anyone else how to feel. I have complete empathy in that regard.

The politics are a different beast entirely.

Edit: Forgot to circle back to your first point.

As to moving the Republican party back to Bush/Reagan still being terrible, I don't disagree. Unfortunately, a Republican party will rise from the ashes no matter what happens. When it does, I would rather have a Romney vying for power than a Tom Cotton. From there, we keep fighting. It's sadly a war must be won by the inch, short of a magical wand or violent revolution.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Seems like a long play to get another Yale grad wealthy Republican president in 2024 or 2028. Start planting the seeds of "decorum and civility is all that matters" now on swing voters.

And tbh, decorum and "humanity" mean nothing to me if you're committing war crimes or killing LGBT people.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
anybody defending this as "productive to get trump out" is thinking about only 2020, while these ads were devised to rehabilitate the conservative legacy come 2024, 2028 and every election in between and beyond. If you are against everything Trump stands for, then you should be against these guys, too—they're attacking him because they don't think cleaning his image is worth their $$$.
Although while I definitely don't want to see the conservative legacy rehabilitated I definitely want to see the future of the Republican party move in the opposite direction from what it is now, away from the insane tea party movement which resulted in Trump. I mean, even if I were American I wouldn't consider voting Republican, but I don't want to risk another Trump-lite or 2.0 getting in. I'd definitely be happier if it was a Romney type getting the Republican nomination. 2016 showed us we can't risk having the vote be against a far right Republican who we wouldn't normally think can win. The Republican party isn't going to just go away.

Not that I expect the majority of Republicans to suddenly become any less sensible.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Helping your idealogical opponents build the platform from which they will execute you.

But hey.....whatever it takes.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
We're locking this thread because it hasn't really produced any valuable discussion. In addition, we're going to be looking at if we want threads on individual political advertisements going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.