• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
PC gamers everywhere tried and failed to buy Nvidia's RTX 3080 graphics card today as units quickly sold out. But not everyone came up empty. A group of resellers scored the RTX 3080 ahead of average consumers, thanks to an automated bot, which was capable of ordering dozens of units from Nvidia's website instantly. The resellers have been taking to social media to praise the bot's creator, Bounce Alerts, a group devoted to helping its members score early access to retail products, such as sneakers, so they can be resold at higher prices.

Based on the social media posts, the bot was able to help one reseller score 42 units of the RTX 3080 from Nvidia's website before stock ran out. Other resellers tweeted images, showing they managed to successfully place orders for over a dozen units.

PCMag spoke to an admin of Bounce Alerts, who confirmed the group offered an automated bot to help members purchase the RTX 3080 units on launch day. For $75 a month, members get access to bots and other information to help them quickly buy retail items from companies and resell them.

"Our job at Bounce Alerts was to ensure our consumers were able to purchase the product for their needs," the admin said.

A separate member of Bounce Alerts told PCMag the bot works as "an automated script to run basically from the product page to payment information and then to checkout."

More here: https://uk.pcmag.com/graphic-cards/...x-3080-units-before-consumers-could-grab-them

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I mean I get being caught up in the hype but its not like there not gonna make any more. Whats a cutting edge game thats demanding all the hype right now? Cyberpunk ain't out for another 2 months.

Last edited:

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
Bots for products drive me crazy, it just means people have less money to spend on similar products, while the leeches get paid.

This is also why I don't try to rush buy new premium products.

Dreezy

Oct 27, 2017
First the bots came for my shoes
Then they came for my streetwear
Then they came for my tech
What's next, food?!

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not invested in this whole situation at all and won't be jumping in on the 3000 series for a while, but

"Our job at Bounce Alerts was to ensure our consumers were able to purchase the product for their needs," the admin said.

you piece

of shit

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
How do bots do it any better than a human? If I can't get past certain steps because the site doesn't load, how can a bot?

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prepare to see the same on the 22nd when xbox launches. Thats why I'm going to go with the payment plan version. If they are running credit or you need to atleast apply for it, I'll have a much better shot.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The same companies that use bots to buy limited edition sneakers bought PS5's and 3080's

Prolly going to be cooking for xbox too

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Prepare to see the same on the 22nd when xbox launches. Thats why I'm going to go with the payment plan version. If they are running credit or you need to atleast apply for it, I'll have a much better shot.
I don't think it'll be that serious, I half assed trying to pre order the PS5 and that went through. But maybe it will be different for Xbox since its actually planned lol.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Scalping wouldn't work if people learned to have patience....

El Goom

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I get being caught up in the hype but its not like there gonna make more. Whats a cutting edge game thats demanding all the hype right now? Cyberpunk ain't out for another 2 months.
www.techspot.com

Crysis Remastered dev on game's top graphics setting: "no card out there" can handle it in 4K at 30fps

The excitement that followed Crytek's announcement of Crysis Remastered in April turned to disappointment following the fugly trailer. Responding to the criticism, the company delayed the July...
Crysis continuing to murder PC's til this day

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
How do bots do it any better than a human? If I can't get past certain steps because the site doesn't load, how can a bot?
a bot can be scripted to auto put info and refresh the page so much faster than a person can and if you are using the same info you can script it to the same thing on multiple screens at one time.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Would be funny if Nvidia figured out which orders were made via bot and cancelled them
they said they are manually verifying each order. presumably they will trickle back in stock.

Not just milliseconds, but if the scalper had access to a botnets (which you can rent for cheap), they could have hundreds of machines doing it in milliseconds. Regular humans simply can't compete.
Are there protections against this that can work?

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
The bots can perform at milliseconds. It's the same thing we see in high intensity stock trading systems.
So this is how our world ends? Scalpers unintentionally create Skynet while trying to turn a quick (couple of thousand) buck(s)? And the bot gets tired of the avarice of man and decides it needs to take things into its own virtual hands?
Sounds about right for 2020

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
they said they are manually verifying each order. presumably they will trickle back in stock.

Are there protections against this that can work?
Kinda? The DDoS caused by the scalpers can't really be mitigated, but limiting item stock, requiring some form of ID for purchases, etc. There are ways, but they'd probably be a lot.mote work than a retailer is willing to do.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Just be patient, folks. In time supply will catch up with demand.

Though this kind of thing is making me tempted to just buy current AMD hardware instead of waiting for Zen 3 and Big Navi. I feel like we'll be well into 2021 before that's readily available.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Kinda? The DDoS caused by the scalpers can't really be mitigated, but limiting item stock, requiring some form of ID for purchases, etc. There are ways, but they'd probably be a lot.mote work than a retailer is willing to do.
i see.

Just be patient, folks. In time supply will catch up with demand.

Though this kind of thing is making me tempted to just buy current AMD hardware instead of waiting for Zen 3 and Big Navi. I feel like we'll be well into 2020 before that's readily available.
patience really is the key. we got posters giving scalpers +200% profit on 3080s right now and it's really disappointing.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Y'know, they probably wouldn't do this if people with too much money and no patience would stop buying shit from scalpers/resellers or whatever they want to call themselves in the first place. They'd be forced to sit on that product and either sell at MSRP or take a loss should demand and prices drop. Make Rhettbones out of all of them. That maybe going far as people actually want 3080's instead of people not wanting Wii U's at all.

I doubt they'll bother - they get paid either way

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that Nvidia and AMD do care to some extent. Not for some altruistic reason but they may lose out on extra income If they're selling services and accessories to people who happen to own their cards they can't sell those things to a few people hoarding all their products just to sell them at vastly marked up prices.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scalpers are all fucking disgusting and should just fuck off.
God, what a bunch of complete detriments to society

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been happening for a long time. The companies are fully aware, they dont mind. Great for business.

buy a bot or tough shit. Its fucked up.

bothered me so much I wrote a letter to Elizabeth Warren a few years ago lol

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
After my few, pathetic attempts at the hypebeast game, I'm convinced the only way to curb this is to simply stop online pre-ordering.

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't all of these stores have a CAPTCHA check before purchase? Wouldn't that solve all of these issues instantly? Or limit 1 per customer?
patience really is the key. we got posters giving scalpers +200% profit on 3080s right now and it's really disappointing.
And yet even on Era we have people doing so and others apologizing for them. It's really discouraging.
Wait really, even people here? No way.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Why can't they put in one of those captcha things where you type in the letters you see? or pick pictures of buses?