• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Sold off all my consoles prior to relocating, only have my 'gaming' laptop now and I have a massive yearning for Bloodborne - sitting on a 100/100 connection atm (Europe) and only have an xbox pad.

Is the latency bad?

oldyella

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, it all depends on how close you are to a data centre. I live in the Caribbean (Barbados) and the quality is great for me. I even tried a fighter (KOF 13) and I was able to play with no noticeable lag.

Oct 27, 2017
Your speeds are great but as oldyella says, it's all about the distance to the data center. There's like four(?) streaming services now so you can do a free trial on all of them to see what works best for you.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I streamed the entirety of Peace Walker HD recently with borderline zero issues. The issues I did have were very brief moments of lag, and almost certain it was issues on my end, not with the service.

I've streamed Star Wars Force Unleashed II with no problems either, and that was a while ago.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Do the free day/week to be certain. I find PS4 games stream better than the PS3 titles but I notice the latency much more on first person games vs third. The other issue is the resolution being set to a max of 720 so some games look really rough if they were packed with detail.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
They're doing pretty good now. Some great exclusives and just launched the PS5.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Good. And a big selection..usually a bunch of stuff that hits NOW before +. Although as with any of these services, if can't download the games I tend to stay away. I'm waiting for a streaming service that doesn't feel garbage.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Its ok for what it is, some games look a lot better on the 720p resolution (seriously Sony time to at least bump that to full hd) than others. I've found 2d stuff like sidescrollers or fighters (sans input lag) to be the best. I tried out Resistance 3 on it and good lord it was an awful looking mess with lots of artifacting and pixelation from the stream.

I think its worth checking out for at least a month, the library is pretty robust, lots of PS3 gems in there.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, is this a thing? I've been meaning to try it, but 720P max is a deal breaker.

Yeah, unfortunately. Feels like it's designed for phone screen size but it's actually only available on a TV or computer monitor. Frustrating, it'd be a big leap in quality if they offered at least 1080p.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, unfortunately. Feels like it's designed for phone screen size but it's actually only available on a TV or computer monitor. Frustrating, it'd be a big leap in quality if they offered at least 1080p.

It's more likely because the vast majority of the catalogue is PS3 and those games (mostly) top out at 720p anyway. By the time PS4 games rolled around, downloads came not long after. They probably have stats that suggest the vast majority of users download PS4 games instead of streaming, so upping the streaming resolution isn't a priority.

All that said, I hope they do it soon. It really is too low.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Its good enough for Bloodborne (might have to get used to parrying with a small delay) but I wouldn't personally play fighting games or fast paced FPS. Its also rough with games that require well timed inputs for stuff like counters (Batman games, etc).

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's more likely because the vast majority of the catalogue is PS3 and those games (mostly) top out at 720p anyway. By the time PS4 games rolled around, downloads came not long after. They probably have stats that suggest the vast majority of users download PS4 games instead of streaming, so upping the streaming resolution isn't a priority.

All that said, I hope they do it soon. It really is too low.

It might not a priority but you've got to imagine it's not some Herculean task either. I leverage the same criticism at xCloud, which is also 720p, although that at least gets a small pass in that it's only available on phones and tablets so it's not quite such an issue. PS Now is the opposite, it's only available on TVs and computers, where 720p looks rough.

They have over 250 PS4 games on the service, streamable. It's a real shame that they all top out at 720p max.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I don't like any of the streaming portion because input lag makes a lot of it unenjoyable, genuinely good games play like shit. The downloadable content is okay, definitely better if you didn't keep up with the PS4 era exclusives.

Mar 31, 2018
The latency is not that bad from my experience, in fact, i'd argue it's fine from the times I played stuff over on it, the image quality is debatable but I have some serious issues with sound quality. Perhaps I am spoiled but some of the games I did test out sounded really bad. Obviously it won't bitstream DD/DTS and you are stuck with 2.0 sound but the times I did try it out they all sounded really bad.

Not an issue on laptop obviously but I thought it was really bad playing stuff like that on TV with proper audio setup.

Blue Mage

Oct 29, 2017
Portland, OR
Any lag that I've ever experienced while streaming games on Now has been pretty rare and not all consequential (e.g. never failed qte's because of it or anything). 95% of the time it's an almost flawless experience, but like has been said, it's probably mostly down to your proximity to the data centers of course.

They're doing pretty good now. Some great exclusives and just launched the PS5.

This got me laughing way harder than it should've, thank you good sir XD

Griffins22

Oct 30, 2017
I was able to play Gravity Rush 1 and 2 through Now, and I almost feel like that alone made my Now subscription worth it. But you can download those games, so I can't speak to the quality of the streaming.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Sold off all my consoles prior to relocating, only have my 'gaming' laptop now and I have a massive yearning for Bloodborne - sitting on a 100/100 connection atm (Europe) and only have an xbox pad.

Is the latency bad?
I've had nothing but an excellent experience outside of the beta.

PS3 streaming wise I compared mgs4 running both naively on a ps3 and on psnow on ps4 switching between the hdmi inputs and controllers and it was virtually indistinguishable other than the ds4 felt better.

Really annoyed me that Sony discontinued the android tv app as I would much rather use that than have a power hungry console running too when the app worked flawlessly.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The last few months of editions have been poor IMO, especially in comparison to plus.

The streaming library ofps3 games has a good selection and I don't tend to get much latency with the controls,but the image quality maxed out at 720p, which can look really bad.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Is the latency bad?

I had PSNow on PC while I had no PS4 from Sept to Nov as I traded it in for a PS5.

Bloodborne was the first game I played on it.

Weirdly I could never get past the first boss on my own, on local console. Meanwhile on PS Now I somehow beat Cleric Beast on my first try (!), six hours later I was past Father G (3 tries only!) and was sold on PS Now from there.

My only complaint is the resolution looks awful. Like worse than 1080 for sure, maybe 720p?

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
I had PSNow on PC while I had no PS4 from Sept to Nov as I traded it in for a PS5.

Bloodborne was the first game I played on it.

Weirdly I could never get past the first boss on my own, on local console. Meanwhile on PS Now I somehow beat Cleric Beast on my first try (!), six hours later I was past Father G (3 tries only!) and was sold on PS Now from there.

My only complaint is the resolution looks awful. Like worse than 1080 for sure, maybe 720p?
Streaming is locked at 720p on PS Now. Imo, Covid has fucked up Sony's plans for PS Now. I wouldn't be surprised if we see no big changes to the service until next year.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I have a question about PS Now, how does it handle DLC?

There's two games I want to play on the service, Vermintide 2 and Dead Cells, and both have DLC.
I'm assuming you just get the base game with PS Now? Will the DLC work with the PS Now version or would you have to purchase the game?