• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Their newest newsletter titled "Letter to fans pt.2:"
A year ago, we announced that "arcade is dead", at least for Housemarque, ending our long-standing commitment to creating arcade inspired games. Many thought that surely the studio must be in peril and that we'd be closing our doors soon, however this couldn't be farther from the truth. Instead of shutting down we have made the jump to AAA development and are working on a new, unannounced IP. This is the biggest and most ambitious game that Housemarque has ever worked on. Our team is approaching 70 people now, and we are still staffing up for the new project. But our commitment to keeping the spirit of arcade alive is stronger than ever, despite no longer working on straight arcade-inspired titles. To further explain our stance here, let's look back at what was happening a year ago…

Housemarque is very fortunate and grateful to have passionate fans that have supported us through more than two decades of arcade inspired and arcade hybrid games that lean heavily on fast-twitch gameplay. The development of our last "pure" arcade game, Nex Machina, took nearly three years and up to 30 man work years for the team that grew to almost 20 people at its peak. The critical reception was phenomenal. The game was one of the top 10 reviewed game of 2017 and achieved a spot in Guinness World Records as one of the most critically acclaimed twin-stick shooters of all time.

Commercially, however, the story is different. We have no regrets whatsoever about taking the risk, as it taught us a great deal and we had a chance to work with our hero, gaming legend Eugene Jarvis. We also had the opportunity to film the whole process from the initial design phase to launch, the result of which is the recently released documentary, "The Name of the Game", which is available in online video stores such as iTunes, VUDU, Microsoft movies and TV, Amazon, Vimeo and Steam. Regional restrictions to services may apply and more services will be added to the list later.

Earlier this year we announced our new multiplayer-focused title, Stormdivers, which seemed to dismay our fans, as many thought that we were "jumping on the battle royale bandwagon". However, we initiated this project back in early 2015 and started prototyping with a small team after finishing Alienation during the Summer of 2016. For a long time, we have wanted to explore PvP gameplay in "our" way and think that the game is shaping up great. But you don't have to just take our word for it - you can participate in our closed beta tests now and eventually join the open beta next year by signing up at www.stormdivers.com.

A couple of years ago the future of the company did look uncertain. It looked like we should either scale down our development efforts significantly, letting go of great team members, or start thinking much bigger and ambitiously to survive beyond 2017. We had to make some difficult decisions and some serious changes or Housemarque would not be around for long. We wanted to continue making great games but first, we had to survive.

So, we started working on new, more ambitious concepts, but of course we had some challenges to face there as well. It took time to convince ourselves that we could be up to the task of developing a much bigger game than we have done in the past, as we were only around 50-people strong, working on two projects simultaneously. We knew this wasn't enough people to create a AAA game, so we dug in and took the plunge. We started working on new, creative concepts to present to potential partners and eventually, we landed a great opportunity to start working on pre-production for a new, unannounced AAA IP last year. At the same time, we truly started to rethink our company culture. What is really needed to build up AAA game development capabilities, and how should we approach our overall development process and the future of the company.

Our purpose has stayed the same: to develop unique game experiences for our fans and create a great workplace for our employees. As we face new challenges, we have developed a new dialogue internally of what all of this means for the company. We want to continue to build an open culture where different voices are welcome, and people can express their creativity in a friendly and open environment. We are also actively recruiting more talent from all backgrounds and every corner of the world (interested in joining us? Check out housemarque.com/careers).

By the time we made our "Arcade is Dead" announcement, Housemarque's change in direction had already been on its way for quite a while, as we could no longer sustain the company on our beloved arcade genres. Arcade is indeed dead for Housemarque, but we salute and applaud the developers out there who are keeping the genre alive with great new arcade experiences.

As for Housemarque, we are building both Stormdivers and our new AAA game on our strong foundations in understanding how to create great second-to-second gameplay experiences. You might say that we are actually jumping on two bandwagons, but our dedication is the same as always - we want to make great games. And we will always love arcade. So perhaps arcade is not completely dead - the spirit is still alive at Housemarque - but as everything must evolve, it is changing, and we dare say that you will still see elements of our love for arcade in future titles.

For now, we at Housemarque wish all of our wonderful fans a very happy holiday and a successful New Year. We are and always will be hard at work to keep your trust, and we are all looking forward to the great times ahead in 2019!

- Ilari, CEO

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, one thing is for certain, whatever game they make, should have absolutely amazing gameplay.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
If Housemarque are making a new AAA game alongside Stormdivers, why waste time and resources on Stormdivers? I don't have high hopes for that game, nor does the majority from the looks of it.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
hopefully this AAA title can turn things around for them because i can't imagine stormdivers is going to achieve that.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Hope Housemarque do well out of Stormdivers and whatever they are working on next. They nail gameplay systems well and now they need to get a game that has a good story in there as well (I was dissapointed by Dead Nation in that regard, the ending left a sour taste that made me feel like it didn't need repeat playthroughs).

Tusken77

Oct 27, 2017
England, United Kingdom
I love Housemarque, I really do. Personally I think Stormdivers is dead on arrival, I know for a fact that I have zero interest in it. Good to know they have another project that they're also working on.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I won't write them off until I play any of these titles. Arcade was going to kill them there are only so many of us into that type of twin stick/twitch gameplay, but if they can bring that sense of gameplay into the triple a space it might just be a good thing. Here's hoping at least.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't have faith in their ability to make a good triple A game. Their arcade games demonstrated their strengths lie in their ability to produce responsive gameplay and impressive, special effects. However, the reveal trailer for stormdiver emphasises the studios weaknesses. The animations and models in the storm dives trailer are really poor, and wouldn't cut it for a triple A game.

I actually have much more faith in Stormbreakers. I think the emphasis on gameplay plays to their strengths as a studio. I think it has a good chance of being a solid game, but I think it's just going to be difficult to break into the battle royale genre.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
They're a lot bigger than I thought. Around 50 over the past year? Whoa.

When they were saying "AAA game" I thought they meant AAA for a small studio. But sounds like they really do have something big cooking.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, since they have earned it. Let's see what you got HM!

Scoey

Oct 27, 2017
Nex Machina and Resogun have tight satisfying gameplay but they also lack something. Their presentation is pretty sterile, the voxels and dubstep clearly doesn't resonate with people the way the art of something like cuphead did. Cuphead sold well as far as I know, despite being a fairy "arcade" type game.

Beyond the mid 80s the best arcade games were generally a combination of great aesthetics/art and gameplay.

Oct 26, 2017
Elfmania 2?

Maybe it's Sterling getting to me, but "AAA" makes me care much less for a game nowadays. Show me a AAA game that isn't riddled with F2P nonsense (and isn't Nintendo) and I might reconsider.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
However, the reveal trailer for stormdiver emphasises the studios weaknesses. The animations and models in the storm dives trailer are really poor, and wouldn't cut it for a triple A game.
All things that can be rectified when you staff up and bring on more talent to the team...

Not sure that's really an apt argument to make. Stormdivers is not a AAA production in staff or budget.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. Is it likely they're being completed self-funded, or might we see a Resogun PS4 launch title type deal?

AAA games are rarely self funded. Even independent developers seek contracts with publishers before committing to work. It's difficult to pay staff on the promise that your game will do well. You need a lot of money in the bank to do that.

All things that can be rectified when you staff up and bring on more people to the team...

Not sure that's really an apt argument to make. Stormdivers is not a AAA production in staff or budget.

Right, sure, but it's also valuable to put your best foot forward. The competition within the battle royale space is triple A, the games have good animations and look the part. If your studio is capable of that same quality, there are obvious benefits to providing it.

Also, a lot of studios actually have concerns about rapid expansion. There are significant caveats to growing too quickly,. Lots of challenges associated with establishing new work pipelines and getting staff trained, and on the same page.

Many studios that have failed thus far, did so following a period of substancial, rapid growth.

I'm not saying that that's what I feel is happening here. Just that 'oh, they've hired 50 new staff and therefore will produce a great game' isn't sound reasoning either.

I don't personally have confidence in their ability to produce a great triple A game, but why would I? Thus far the studio is unproven in that space. I actually desperately want them to succeed, but we can only wait and see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Captain of Outer Space

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. Is it likely they're being completed self-funded, or might we see a Resogun PS4 launch title type deal?
They've got a publisher from what they said:

"We started working on new, creative concepts to present to potential partners and eventually, we landed a great opportunity to start working on pre-production for a new, unannounced AAA IP last year."

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
They've got a publisher from what they said:

"We started working on new, creative concepts to present to potential partners and eventually, we landed a great opportunity to start working on pre-production for a new, unannounced AAA IP last year."

Aren't they rumoured to be working on a Sony exclusive?, i remember people saying the Xdev twitter account was retweeting their Job listings.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Will always have my eye on whatever Housemarque makes.

Oct 30, 2017
Congratulations! I loved Resogun.

I hope they improve the art/visual design of their new game. Their last few games looked a bit sterile and bland (with nice effects).

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow I'm shocked that they have 70 people on staff. That's way more than I expected. I wish them nothing but the best, they are a talented studio.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
New, unannounced AAA IP with 70 people is promising. I bet they're taking the Ninja Theory approach.

I wish them all the success in the world.

(I hope it's an open world Stardust successor lol)

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have zero interest in Stormdivers so I'm only looking forward to that bigger project. I loved all of their (singleplayer ;)) games I've played so far.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else play the beta this weekend?

I hoped in for a couple games , was under populated but the storm is really cool and kinda scary, and there is an eclipse that happens and it gets dark and you use flashlights, felt like a horror game for a bit.

It feels decent...was getting 60fps on a g4560 1050ti on mid settings.

Character models are ok...basically it feels like RoE , H1, and Radical Heights had a sci fi brother.

Lots of weird things moving around the world too which I didn't understand, but could be a twist.

But, without being crossplay and f2p, I just don't see how it makes a dent.

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
Their games are always such a audio visual treat, not to mention the great gameplay. The idea of a AAA project gets me excited. Hopefully they can deliver...

Deleted member 38397

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
I've begun playing Matterfall recently. It's... well, not very good. (In my opinion.) Easily the worst of all their games so I'm hoping they can knock the ball out of the park with their new projects.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
On a side note: has Stormdivers disappear?

I was expecting news from the beta and yet nothing has arrived.
Someone played it above:
Anyone else play the beta this weekend?

I hoped in for a couple games , was under populated but the storm is really cool and kinda scary, and there is an eclipse that happens and it gets dark and you use flashlights, felt like a horror game for a bit.

It feels decent...was getting 60fps on a g4560 1050ti on mid settings.

Character models are ok...basically it feels like RoE , H1, and Radical Heights had a sci fi brother.

Lots of weird things moving around the world too which I didn't understand, but could be a twist.

But, without being crossplay and f2p, I just don't see how it makes a dent.