• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 28, 2017
The first things that came to my mind during the show's debut trailer for this, is "Resogun, but in full 3D! + Vanquish + Alien/Prometheus"

So HYPED about this, except the $70 tag.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Loved all their PS3 games, never played any of their games this gen unfortunately. Their zombie game was really good!

For some reason this game gives me Death Stranding vibes and for that simple reason this will be one of my purchases with my PS5 when I eventually get one next spring.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Thought this was a release date game but it's still TBD. Nextgen launch is slim pickings.

Oct 28, 2017
I am really excited for this game. Love the devs, I have no problem with the price tag. I am willing to pay it cause I have enjoyed everything they have put out. I am really interested in the shooting mechanics. If they can nail down Resogun in 3rd person combat, while you are dodging bullets and spraying, it could be pretty awesome. Plus, you have that roguelike incentive to stay alive or start over. Could be really fun. And the story sounds interesting. Not unique, sure, but it could be interesting when you throw this on a mysterious alien world. I mean, its an alien world, anything could happen.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Had no interest in Housemarque's games until this. Love the concept, how it looks, and the main character.

2021 is going to be so good.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
What are all these letters? Is "RL" Rogue Legacy? If so, that would be a lucky guess, but I don't think ETG and NT quite have the same recognition as something like, SM64 or TLoU.
Rogue Legacy 1
Enter the gungeon.
Nuclear Thrones
Dead Cells

Personally I started with Rogue legacy, I think it's a good start because each death means that you get much stronger in the next run.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Loved all their PS3 games, never played any of their games this gen unfortunately.
Had no interest in Housemarque's games until this.

tenor.gif

seriously, you have to play Nex Machina, it is their best game to date and it is the best twinstick shooter on the market.

easily in my top 3 this gen

Sounds like a game that was made for me. I'm still playing Nex Machina regularly.

meme.gif

Last edited:

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
Yes but each time you re spawn the world is different. The game story is designed around this in a creative way, so it is part of the narrative and intended experience.
Understood thanks for the explanation, its a neat concept I'm guessing some people will find that to add to the re-playability.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Super excited for this one. This past year has really turned me around on the roguelike genre. It's not that I hadn't played any games in the genre that I enjoyed, just that I hadn't played a lot in genres I was particularly interested in, but the ones that got its hooks in me have been awesome, and now I'm all in.

I dismissed this game when I first saw the reveal trailer, mainly because I was half paying attention when it was revealed, but when I realized it was Housemarque, I was sold. Then rewatching the reveal trailer got me more intrigued, then reading up on it being a roguelike, in a genre I love, I was all in. This new game info only makes me that much more excited to get my hands on it. Housemarque makes really fun games that are a blast to control. I'm hoping it will be an early 2021 release, although, to be honest, I'll already have plenty to play on the PS5 leading up to its launch anyway.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I'm not a huge fan of rogue-likes and tbh only enjoyed (even love) Dead Cells, but I have faith in Housemarque to nail gameplay and hopefully to add an easy/not overtly punitive/here, just end the damn story setting.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
people really are showing themselves with this shit.

I admit it's getting a little frustrating. "Why is this game so expensive?! Also, crunch time sucks, and devs should be treated better, but I also don't want to pay them for their effort, in a market where the cost of my increasingly high demands for 4k/60-120fps on 10+ teraflop machines for sub $600 is becoming so high that many studios have to be acquired just to keep the lights on and themselves and their loved ones fed!" Gaming is a business. A. BUSINESS. We have a passion for what we do, but we're also human beings that have to, you know, survive, so we can keep doing what we do.

Housemarque makes some pretty fantastic games. I haven't played all of their games, but the vast majority of them. Unfortunately, the market for your super niche arcade twitch shooters isn't large enough anymore for them to keep producing the same thing ad infinitum. It's literally just not possible, and they've said as much. This is their attempt to do multiple things, I think:

A) Produce a game that has the quality of the type of big budget games that consumers demand and flock to over their previous games that appealed to a smaller fanbase.

B) Due to A, they have a chance to broaden their outreach, creating a larger player fanbase and community that may not have given their previous niche arcade games a shot (see studios like Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Sony Santa Monica, and Sucker Punch; successful studios, but due to being allowed to play to their strengths and produce high quality games, they are either now household names in millions of gamers homes, or are on their way to be).

C) Due to A and B, they will generate enough revenue to keep the lights on, and maybe, just maybe, splinter off into multiple teams able to produce both AAA style games in the same vein of their previous works, and maybe a niche, classic style arcade shooter for that portion of the fanbase that loves them. (If you're able to generate enough revenue from the larger projects to keep functioning, you can afford to take risks on smaller, more passion projects)

D) Due to A, B, and C, perhaps broaden the appeal of a genre of games that has been showing an increase in interest due to lower budget, but high quality roguelikes/lites like Hades, Dead Cells, The Binding of Isaac, Enter the Gungeon, etc. This could be the birth of the AAA Roguelike, and I think that's nothing but a good thing for gamers and fans of the genre. For example, my love of 2D sidescrollers in the vein of Castlevania: SotN, made me give Rogue Legacy a shot, a Roguelike/lite, at a time when I immediately dismissed the genre. I fell in love with RL, and suddenly I was bit by the roguelike genre bug, and started seeking out similar games (ie, Dead Cells), and then that led me to give games like Atomicrops, Children of Morta, Streets of Rogue, Moonhunters, and Enter the Gungeon a shot. All Roguelikes/lites, but they all feel so different, and are in genres and settings that I personally enjoy. Now I have a new genre of games I love, though, like all genres, I don't like every game in the genre. I've been thinking of developing a roguelike of my own because of how much I'm enjoying the genre.

Like, Jesus Christ, people are just never happy about anything these days. To be frank, a large segment of gamers come off as spoiled brats having a tantrum when they can't have everything they want, when they want it, and how they want it. It's maddening. *deep breaths* *deep breaths*

Also, expect and plan for this game to be $70 at launch. You'll save yourself a lot of disappointment, with the upside being if it somehow releases for less, it'll be a pleasant surprise. That's how I've gone into this entire new generation of consoles. I expected a $600 PS5 and Xbox Series X, and they're $500 (USD of course). After Activision pricing CoD at $70, I knew it was only a matter of time before other publishers followed suit. Although, to be fair, we've seen $70 prices for current gen games, though they were usually some kind of "Deluxe" edition. On the other upside, many retailers drop the prices of their stock fairly quickly after launch. Much quicker than most. For example, Control came out in August of 2019, and I ended up getting it for $41 on Amazon on September 3rd 2019 (though to be fair, it was discounted to $50, but I had $12 in store credit from Amazon, so it came up to $41). Death Stranding came out November 2019, and I got it from Amazon on December 17th 2019 for $35. I would have gotten these games on launch at full price, but I didn't have the time to play them at that time, and planned on getting them later, but when I saw those discounts on Amazon, I said "Fuck it," and jumped in. They're still sitting in my backlog, having only put a few hours into each. The point being, these games drop in price.

All the handwringing over game prices just seems so damn entitled when history has shown that, outside of Nintendo games, the prices for these things drop quickly and steeply, so if you're a budget conscious shopper (and I am), you aren't always waiting months and years for a discount. This "need" for you to have these games day one is in your head. These gaming publishers bank on that need. Once I de-programmed myself from thinking I absolutely just had to have the new shiny on day one, I was not only much happier, but saved a lot more money (which I of course spent on more games to add to my backlog XD).

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I admit it's getting a little frustrating. "Why is this game so expensive?! Also, crunch time sucks, and devs should be treated better, but I also don't want to pay them for their effort, in a market where the cost of my increasingly high demands for 4k/60-120fps on 10+ teraflop machines for sub $600 is becoming so high that many studios have to be acquired just to keep the lights on and themselves and their loved ones fed!" Gaming is a business. A. BUSINESS. We have a passion for what we do, but we're also human beings that have to, you know, survive, so we can keep doing what we do.

Housemarque makes some pretty fantastic games. I haven't played all of their games, but the vast majority of them. Unfortunately, the market for your super niche arcade twitch shooters isn't large enough anymore for them to keep producing the same thing ad infinitum. It's literally just not possible, and they've said as much. This is their attempt to do multiple things, I think:

A) Produce a game that has the quality of the type of big budget games that consumers demand and flock to over their previous games that appealed to a smaller fanbase.

B) Due to A, they have a chance to broaden their outreach, creating a larger player fanbase and community that may not have given their previous niche arcade games a shot (see studios like Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Sony Santa Monica, and Sucker Punch; successful studios, but due to being allowed to play to their strengths and produce high quality games, they are either now household names in millions of gamers homes, or are on their way to be).

C) Due to A and B, they will generate enough revenue to keep the lights on, and maybe, just maybe, splinter off into multiple teams able to produce both AAA style games in the same vein of their previous works, and maybe a niche, classic style arcade shooter for that portion of the fanbase that loves them. (If you're able to generate enough revenue from the larger projects to keep functioning, you can afford to take risks on smaller, more passion projects)

D) Due to A, B, and C, perhaps broaden the appeal of a genre of games that has been showing an increase in interest due to lower budget, but high quality roguelikes/lites like Hades, Dead Cells, The Binding of Isaac, Enter the Gungeon, etc. This could be the birth of the AAA Roguelike, and I think that's nothing but a good thing for gamers and fans of the genre. For example, my love of 2D sidescrollers in the vein of Castlevania: SotN, made me give Rogue Legacy a shot, a Roguelike/lite, at a time when I immediately dismissed the genre. I fell in love with RL, and suddenly I was bit by the roguelike genre bug, and started seeking out similar games (ie, Dead Cells), and then that led me to give games like Atomicrops, Children of Morta, Streets of Rogue, Moonhunters, and Enter the Gungeon. All Roguelikes/lites, but they all feel so different, and are in genres and settings that I personally enjoy.

Like, Jesus Christ, people are just never happy about anything these days. To be frank, a large segment of gamers come off as spoiled brats having a tantrum when they can't have everything they want, when they want it, and how they want it. It's maddening. *deep breaths* *deep breaths*

Also, expect and plan for this game to be $70 at launch. You'll save yourself a lot of disappointment, with the upside being if it somehow releases for less, it'll be a pleasant surprise. That's how I've gone into this entire new generation of consoles. I expected a $600 PS5 and Xbox Series X, and they're $500 (USD of course). After Activision pricing their CoD at $70, I knew it was only a matter of time before other publishers followed suit. Although, to be fair, we've seen $70 prices for current gen games, though they were usually some kind of "Deluxe" edition. On the other upside, many retailers drop the prices of their stock fairly quickly after launch. Much quicker than most. For example, Control came out in August of 2019, and I ended up getting it for $41 on Amazon on September 3rd 2019 (though to be fair, it was discounted to $50, but I had $12 in store credit from Amazon, so it came up to $41). Death Stranding came out November 2019, and I got it from Amazon on December 17th 2019 for $35. I would have gotten these games on launch at full price, but I didn't have the time to play them at that time, and planned on getting them later, but when I saw those discounts on Amazon, I said "Fuck it," and jumped in. They're still sitting in my backlog, having only put a few hours into each. The point being, these games drop in price.

All the handwringing over game prices just seems so damn entitled when history has shown that, outside of Nintendo games, the prices for these things drop quickly and steeply, so if you're a budget conscious shopper (and I am), you aren't always waiting months and years for a discount. This "need" for you to have these games day one is in your head. These gaming publishers bank on that need. Once I de-programmed myself from thinking I absolutely just had to have the new shiny on day one, I was not only much happier, but saved a lot more money (which I of course spent on more games to add to my backlog XD).

Great post.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
Rogue Legacy 1
Enter the gungeon.
Nuclear Thrones
Dead Cells

Personally I started with Rogue legacy, I think it's a good start because each death means that you get much stronger in the next run.
Thanks!

Rogue Legacy was the first Rogue-like/lite I played. Still not completely into the genre, but I did enjoy it quite a bit, and I'm definitely willing to give Returnal a try.

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of my most anticipated games from the PS5 line-up. I love roguelikes, i absolutely adore Nex Machina and the setting looks really cool. Can't wait for this.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Also, as a reminder that this game features an older woman, one of the rarest representations insofar as story driven SP titles are concerned (the only other I can recall is Dishonored Death of the Outsider):

zCEiIWe.jpg

Also, the boxart for this title is incredible as it plays to one of the core themes of the title:

destruction-allstars-sackboy-returnal-and-gran-turismo-7-ps5-placeholder-boxart-emerges-from-amazon-3.jpg

I wish the devs all the best.

PS: Still not a fan of the name though.
Its an awful name, reminds me of urinal. Regardless of name it looks nuts so day 1.