• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I really want to see more gameplay. It looks like it has the shm'up nature of Housemarque's previous games with a taste of Dark Souls-like exploration. A lot of cool ideas going around here.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
So this is single player? I thought it was multiplayer for some reason. If so, consider me interested. Looks great and could be fun. Though resource management and procedurally generated is something i usually avoid. So we'll see i guess.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Housemarque is known for making arcade games (usually influenced by bullet hell)

Returnal is them taking what they're good at and reworking it into a big budget third person game. At least from what we've seen it's a fancy photorealistic arcade game
Kinda wish it wasn't a roguelike but it still looks like fun.

That's the traditional definition of it since that describes the game Rogue. "Roguelike" has come to be a little broader and is more of a descriptor on top of other genres. Generally a roguelike includes these elements:
  • When you die you start over.
  • Progress is usually measured by things being unlocked for subsequent runs (skills, weapons, etc)
  • Often runs are procedurally generated in some way for variety.
The main character in the trailer actually describes the roguelike loop. She talks about how she keeps reliving her first moments on the planet ("the crash, the attack, my death"). And then about being in and endless cycle where each time she awakes the planet is different. The boxart even illustrates it, notice the rows of helmets behind her

Thanks! I can't understand how I've missed this expression. I've really enjoyed their previous games, so this as something more AAA than earlier, will be really interesting. Such a shame that it missed launch.

I love the boxart!

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
Dear Housemarque... I am going to buy the shit out of this!

Aside from Demon's Souls, this is the #1 game I am looking forward to!

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Slightly off topic but, got to say, the name is awful but it's also pretty much the only game name that I remember from those shows that wasn't a AAA game. So maybe it's good?

Kind of like the way Kojima gives his characters terrible but very memorable names. I can name everyone in Death Stranding now Even thought I haven't played it in almost a year, but couldn't name most of the character in 13 Sentinels ,which I played last night.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
It's Housemarque, so I know it's going to be awesome (minus the name... Really don't like the name)!

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Meh. Demon's souls looks twice more impressive while running at twice the framerate.

Why are they constantly trying to reinvent the wheel? They already have a great concept, it's called Resogun.
Do we know this won't be 60fps? At what point did we find out Demon's Souls was 60fps?

Bluepoint moved away from arcade style games after their first game. They are a bigger more experienced AAA team.
housemarque.com

Jumping on the bandwagon: From 'Arcade is Dead' to AAA — Housemarque

A year ago, we announced that “arcade is dead”, at least for Housemarque, ending our long-standing commitment to creating arcade inspired games. Many thought that surely the studio must be in peril and that we’d be closing our doors soon, however this couldn’t be farther from the truth. Instead of s

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
-Manage resources/equipment; scavenge alien tech for upgrades, enhance abiliti
-"Haunting narrative": piece together Selene's memorie
-Jump through portals between worlds, "near instant" loadin
-Adaptive triggers: switch firing mode

Holy fuck. Housemarque, you bloody geniuses.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
I would say "you had me at bullet-hell" but to be honest I was there at Housemarque on PS5. 🙂

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the more i hear about this the more i want it. Rougelike 3rd person shooter could be fantastic, and with Housemarques pedigree the gameplay should be tight.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Surprised that people are disappointed that it's a Roguelite game. Since it was first announced that's been the bit that's excited me the most. Being able to enjoy that classic Housemarque gameplay but having a different playthrough each time sounds fantastic to me.

Last edited:

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
So this is single player? I thought it was multiplayer for some reason. If so, consider me interested. Looks great and could be fun. Though resource management and procedurally generated is something i usually avoid. So we'll see i guess.
As it's Housemarque I wouldn't be surprised to see it ending up having a co-op mode that just skips over the narrative segments.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I think I am gonna hold on to this physical disc just for the glorious boxart. Its not too often that we get so beautiful box art man.

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017
Meh. Demon's souls looks twice more impressive while running at twice the framerate.

Why are they constantly trying to reinvent the wheel? They already have a great concept, it's called Resogun.

I don't believe they have released any info about target frame rates or performance modes yet. So not sure how you can make that comparison.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Those first couple of pics don't look great, but I like the art. Horrible name though.

Ohhh...and it's a procedural world. Yeah, I'm probably out on this one. Not a fan.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at these screens on a bum ass 60 dollar phone and these color still pop. Especially that purple.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I can't understand how I've missed this expression. I've really enjoyed their previous games, so this as something more AAA than earlier, will be really interesting. Such a shame that it missed launch.

I love the boxart!
No problem. I should also clarify that rogue-like used to mean absolutely no progress carries over, while rogue-lite meant some does. But recently the terms have been used so interchangeably and strict rogue likes have become so rare that often people don't bother to clarify the difference.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not into roguelikes but I love third person shooting and it looks like there's an interesting narrative to propel you through the game, so I'm very interested. Looks great too.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The main character in the trailer actually describes the roguelike loop. She talks about how she keeps reliving her first moments on the planet ("the crash, the attack, my death"). And then about being in and endless cycle where each time she awakes the planet is different. The boxart even illustrates it, notice the rows of helmets behind her

81hgxlalasl-159965719mykde.png

PlayStation Studios?

Eden-prime

May 21, 2020
This and Demon's Souls are just my favorite reveal of PS5 first-party games so far. I expect some extended look of gameplay soon.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Feels like this game could become a sleeper hit if everything turns out fine.
They know about fantastic gameplay and high replaybility. Now in third person and having bigger budget. Also giving me Vanquish vibes too.
Wonder if it will also have more of a narrative/lore focus, like Hades for example. Would be pretty cool if done right.