• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watch they will release on all platforms but get the Epic Money. Face the PC backlash. However, do their games sell that well on PC to begin with?

They've released like 1 game. They aren't exactly a dev known for multiplatform support.

Well, 2 if you count a half decade later port of Outland

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I think you have to look at the long term with studio acquisitions. It is about where they can be years from now rather than where they are at this moment. Think of Naughty Dog pre-Sony and post-Sony. It is all about growth and what role they can play in the lineup.

The thought of it is hyping me up. Just give them the budget and time to go wild with a big world designed with voxels.

📠

Yo Fudge! It is Fated!

Ha, I know! I've known this since I've been here :P

GOOCHY

Oct 29, 2017
I love Housemarque. Hopefully they are being acquired by Sony. They deserve it.

Nex Machina is probably one of the most underrated games of all time. What a shame.

Oct 25, 2017
Watch they will release on all platforms but get the Epic Money. Face the PC backlash. However, do their games sell that well on PC to begin with?

I fully expect it to be another PS exclusive and wouldn't be surprised if they are acquired by Sony in the near future. I'm talking about the unannounced game and not Stormdivers which is basically DOA. I would put them in the most likely to be bought category. Kinda feel bad for them though. You usually don't find out a dev is in trouble until they go under so they must have been in dire situation to talk about needing money in a random interview.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
People here are gonna think Sony then get blindsided when it's Epic huh

My first thought.
I mean they worked on several exclusives/console exclusives before and never got any backslash for that...so why this kind of statement?
Their next game must be another PS console exclusive, except this time they are coming to PC...only on EGS.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't blame them. Games are made by people. People need to eat, shelter themselves, clothe themselves, and ideally avoid other harm to their persons, so their games need to make money. Making money from games, no matter how good or fun, isn't easy.

If an exclusivity deal keeps food on the table and talented developers employed, I'm all for it.

Housemarque has made some amazing games that I love, so I hope they're able to continue to do what they're passionate about.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather see a great dev like Housemarque make the games they're good at exclusively for a platform which I don't own than see them go under trying to chase what isn't their strength. Hopefully(?) they'll prove me wrong but it feels like Stormdivers isn't going anywhere.

I'll buy whatever platform they make their games for eventually. These guys are arcade wizards. I even loved Matterfall.

Deleted member 52823

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
I wonder if they'll finally cancel Stormdivers.

I was just watching beta video from January and boy does it not look like a game I would enjoy.

Unfortunately this company isn't developing arcade games anymore. After Nex Machina, there's a statement from the CEO declaring that "arcade games are dead".

This company is no longer making stuff like Dead Nation, Super Stardust etc. So everyone here asking for more of those games are sadly out of luck.

Hopefully the AAA game is something more interesting. Perhaps they could just take their Arcade expertise and develop an action game. Something like Devil May Cry maybe. I dunno.

They have spent quite a bit of time learning "games as a service" and Stormdivers does not look like it can compete in that market. Whereas they had carved quite a niche in the smaller, arcade game market.

If I were them I would have maybe made a sequel to Dead Nation or Super Stardust.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck to Housemarque, their output is great and deserves support even if it's cordoned off. I won't hold some potential EGS deal against them, even if I wont follow.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
That's quite an epic statement.

My brother bought a ps4 only for Resogun when he saw me play it. So I guess their games do sell systems but probably not as much as other games does.
I mean I bought a PS3 for Spelunker HD, and I would still say it's no system seller :P

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
People here:
> Complain that a platform doesn't have exclusives to warrant a purchase
> Get upset when platform holder buys exclusives to warrant a purchase of their system
> Don't get upset when Nintendo does the same with Japanese third party.
Reading this type of drivel over the next year is going to be fun.
73sZ.gif

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dont turn to the evil Sony
Microsoft is so good when they acquire studios though! Can't wait to see who they acquire at E3 2020 luls! Acquisition hype train unite!

/s

Seriously though, I'd be really sad if Housemarque couldn't make anymore games because of money. They're so talented. If they need to take on exclusive deals to make money, then so be it.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to play more of their arcade games. Unless it's EGS, then I won't play them.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I think shu visited them not long ago and they doubled their size for their AAA game in the last year, so yea probably some exclusivty deal with sony, and that is fine, it will probably allow them to have much more budget to do the games that they want to make.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I hope they get acquired by Sony. They made some amazing games and it would be a shame to see them fall.

Oct 27, 2017
I know people complain about the consolidation of the industry. But if that's what it takes to have devs continue to make games and not go under so be it.

If a game that I am desperate for is not on my system, then I will have to buy the other system. Unfortunate, but understandable given the rocketing cost of living.

I can see these getting acquired by Sony, with an announcement this year. Good luck to everyone involved

Oct 27, 2017
Is Housemarque doing ok actually? Stormdivers looks like it's gonna bomb. Maybe it became a launch PS5 free2play game?

Oct 27, 2017
If Housemarque does another Twin Stick shooter, it'll likely just be to get back on their feet. You can tell the studio wants to be seen as something bigger. Which I don't blame them for, they deserve it. Much like Bend did after all that time of making smaller fare for a time until Days Gone.

Is that true though? I thought Nex Machina wasn't a success, so they were forced to change direction rather than chose to.

Anyway, they've always been one of my favourite devs and I hope they're around for a long time to come.

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
I've always thought of Housemarque as a Sony dev. Super Stardust and Resogun ate so many hours of my time.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Nex machina is one of the best games this generation and it's sad it didn't sell well. It's arcade bliss. Even matterfall was pretty dam good for what it was. Just too short with awkward to get used to controls but once it clicked it was great

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I buy everything these people put out. However their upcoming battle Royale game is not something I'm looking forward to. Hopefully whatever else is going on with them is awesome!

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just a reminder that they're not doing arcade games anymore. Let's see how their first AAA game turns out.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Why are they even working on Stormdivers, it looks atrociously bad, and something they don't believe in either.

Even if by some miracle Epic decide to save you, theres a low chance in hell it'll do well in the same storefront as Fortnite.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm never gonna be a fan of these kinds of deals, I can understand why many indie studios cannot really afford to turn them down, not in such a volatile market as video games.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, they made like 3-4 exclusive games on PS4 and they sold poorly according to their "Arcade is dead" blogpost.

It's all about making a game that can resonate with a bigger audience, regardless of exclusive deals or not.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Why are they even working on Stormdivers, it looks atrociously bad, and something they don't believe in either.

they probably had no idea what kind of competition it'd eventually be up against. i can see why they thought it was a smart pivot at the time

haven't kept tabs but it looked alright last time i checked. not my thing though

Last edited: