• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't sure how I felt after the trailer during the first PS5 showcase, but this actually looks really cool. Really has that Housemarque arcade look.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I was hoping this would be out closer to launch when they first showed it. I want it bad. :<

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
When put like that, pretty upsetting to hear. Nex Machina was so damn good

It's a shame, because everyone played, and I think many really loved Resogun. I suspect they would have hoped they would transition to their other titles.

Alienation I think performed quite well though, with 400k sales before it released on Playstation plus. I think it's a bit of a shame that they didn't double down on that direction. I liked Alienation, and the fact that it blended the fast paced arcade shooting and particles with genre staples more typical of action RPGs, such as loot and open areas to explore.

I wish they doubled down on that direction.

In a sense, that's kind of what they're doing with Returnal. It intentionally blurs genre boundaries presumably in an effort to get people to engage with that old school arcade style gameplay, but within a different framework. In this case, it's a third person shooter and roguelike.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah. Even Nex Machina which was reviewed super well only sold around 100,000 units.

88 on metacritic and played by less than 0.1% of the total PS4 userbase.

I'm surprised to hear that Nex Machina sold so little. It's one of the finest action games on PS4.

As I write this, it's currently on sale in PS Store for $3.39 for about 13 more hours.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Do we know if this game will have any type of online component?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
No idea! I've haven't gotten my ps5 yet.

Do anyone else know?

Go to the Playstation Store on the PS5 and click the three dots for any game and there will be a Follow tab. For big upcoming releases in the Coming Soon section there will just be a big Follow button once you click on them. And from what I can tell, you automatically Follow any game you've played. So any game you've played on the PS4 or PS5 should be automatically followed.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I really don't think so, this will be quite hardcore game. Honestly I feel that aim lock completely destroys the meaning of shooting games, they become literally "hold the left and right trigger > wow you won!".

If the only thing your shooter has going for it is the player's ability to keep a cursor on a target, sure.

Something I loved about ReCore was that it focussed on totally different priorities to other third-person shooters. Where the fine-aiming aspect was de-emphasised, a whole bunch of other things got emphasised; positioning, dodging incoming projectiles, jumping and dashing, prioritising targets, selecting appropriate fire modes, using bot assists, picking your moment to extract a core, etc. You'd frequently be facing so many foes and so many projectiles that free aim would be a nightmare on a controller for most players.

Wow, looks like an over-the-shoulder perspective Next Machina. Very excited and happy with Housemarque's return(al) to what they do best

I played Nex Machina for the first time today, and there's a moment early on where the camera briefly lowers to a more traditional third-person angle. When that happened, I felt for a moment like I could see exactly how Returnal came about.

Oct 30, 2017
I hope Housemarque finds success with this game. I loved Resogun.

I'm not surprised to hear that the sales of their last couple of games were not that great.

They have great effects but need better art direction. Their last few games were overly sterile and looked a bit generic.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 2 is up on PS5 with more gameplay and HUD elements. Seems like the narrative and presentation are going to be bigger than people thought while still having their trademark gameplay.

The map and scanning give me Metroid Prime vibes.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Episode 2 is up on PS5 with more gameplay and HUD elements. Seems like the narrative and presentation are going to be bigger than people thought while still having their trademark gameplay.

The map and scanning give me Metroid Prime vibes.

But...but that can´t be! people already decided that its only worth 30 bucks!

/s