• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Did I read this incorrectly? It said both sections (aside from the one naming it) were ruled as unconstitutional/unenforceable by rules in cases that cited Due Process and Equal Protection

Sorry, friend. I'm a bit scattered brained. Let me fix what I meant.

In Windsor, the dissents argue two things: One, that the Court didn't have jurisdiction to decide the case. And, more importantly here, two, that this didn't fall under Due Process. Thomas says:

But it is well established that any "substantive" component to the Due Process Clause protects only "those fundamental rights and lib- erties which are, objectively, 'deeply rooted in this Nation's history and tradition," ...It is beyond dispute that the right to same-sex marriage is not deeply rooted in this Nation's history and tradition.

In Obergefell v. Hodges, the Dissent finds that Due Process and Equal Protection were not violated. Roberts says:

The majority purports to identify four "principles and traditions" in this Court's due process precedents that support a fundamental right for same-sex couples to marry. Ante, at 12. In reality, however, the majority's approach has no basis in principle or tradition, except for the unprincipled tradition of judicial policymaking that characterized discredited decisions such as Lochner v. New York, 198 U. S. 45 . Stripped of its shiny rhetorical gloss, the majority's argument is that the Due Process Clause gives same-sex couples a fundamental right to marry because it will be good for them and for society.

Scalia says:

We have no basis for striking down a practice that is not expressly prohibited by the Fourteenth Amendment's text, and that bears the endorsement of a long tradition of open, widespread, and unchallenged use dating back to the Amendment's ratification.

In City of Borne v. Flores, the Court decided that the Religious Freedom Restoration Act is unconstitutional when applied to states. Kennedy says:

Congress' power under § 5, however, extends only to "enforc[ing]" the provisions of the Fourteenth Amendment. The Court has described this power as "remedial," South Carolina v. Katzenbach, supra, at 326. The design of the Amendment and the text of § 5 are inconsistent with the suggestion that Congress has the power to decree the substance of the Fourteenth Amendment's restrictions on the States.

Congress does not enforce a constitutional right by changing what the right is. It has been given the power "to enforce," not the power to determine what constitutes a constitutional violation.

This could, possibly, mean that Congress can't codify same-sex marriage or even abortion if the Court decides to continue this reasoning.

Not only that, the Court has said that it decides exactly what "commerce" is, not Congress, if they decide to go that route with both same-sex marriage and abortion rights.

Last edited:

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
There is no mental mature argument to back out of that one, unless they stick their fingers in their ears and yell out "don't care if I'm facist or racist, my team won", which at that point they should be recorded and posted on YouTube, Twitter...etc as an example of braindead Republicans in the US.
I mean, the material is out there NOW, and yet, I haven't seen anything really thrown their way for hating babies

FTHxRRSWIAE_EWh.jpg:large

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Stop wishing for the day the right wises up and realizes they're voting in monsters. That they're monsters is the point, and those of you still wanting to get into a war of logic with them has me concerned. Babies, you're better off throwing paper balls at glass hoping it'll break.

Also, leave "Do Something!" Twitter alone. That battle is pointless as well.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Why haven't any Democrat come out and call out the republican Senators when basic human rights laws are voted down and just call them by name as "facist" or "racist". IDGAF what hardcore republican voters may think.

Those people would vote slavery back in if they could, so nobody care about those fools opinions. But we need names and harsh words that can put them on the spotlight, especially with moderate and independent voters who needs to see what type of monsters they keep voting in.

Call McConnell a "facist" when he votes against basic human rights. Call out the Republicans "racist" and everybody in the Democratic senate need to stand behind the person who states this in unison. Harsh words needs to be used against a regime.

This hard counters republican/independent voters talking points of "both sides are the same". The time of "decorum" is over, a line needs to be drawn now.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Why haven't any Democrat come out and call out the republican Senators when basic human rights laws are voted down and just call them by name as "facist" or "racist". IDGAF what hardcore republican voters may think.

Those people would vote slavery back in if they could, so nobody care about those fools opinions. But we need names and harsh words that can put them on the spotlight, especially with moderate and independent voters who needs to see what type of monsters they keep voting in.

Call McConnell a "facist" when he votes against basic human rights. Call out the Republicans "racist" and everybody in the Democratic senate need to stand behind the person who states this in unison. Harsh words needs to be used against a regime.

This hard counters republican/independent voters talking points of "both sides are the same". The time of "decorum" is over, a line needs to be drawn now.

I'm not sure this would have the effect you want. Remember how simply calling folks "deplorables" helped sink Hillary?

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure this would have the effect you want. Remember how simply calling folks "deplorables" helped sink Hillary?

That's why you don't say it once, because the word would lose meaning as some "catch phrase". You keep saying the same word and you cite clear facts behind those words so that every person who hears this will understand why "racist" or "facist " means in this day and time.

You mention key forefathers who fought against facist and remind them that the Nazis regime is not just in 1938, but also that we are headings in this direction as a country. Use key words where those who has shame will feel shame, those who don't, they were lost regardless. That's how you start reversing what direction our country is going.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
That's why you don't say it once, because the word would lose meaning as some "catch phrase". You keep saying the same word and you cite clear facts behind those words so that every person who hears this will understand why "racist" or "facist " means in this day and time.

You mention key forefathers who fought against facist and remind them that the Nazis regime is not just in 1938, but also that we are headings in this direction as a country. Use key words where those who has shame will feel shame, those who don't, they were lost regardless. That's how you start reversing what direction our country is going.

This is the part where I remind you that there are Democrats in office who do this. Who routinely call Republics treasonous, nazis, literal "demons".

But they're Black, so not only do they get no attention, the Left will regularly join in with the right in attacking them!

If it sounds like I'm being petty... Yes! Yes I am. I'm bitter as fuck about this because I've noticed this trend for years. Y'all don't actually want what you're asking for, because you'd rally behind them Dems already doing it.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
This is the part where I remind you that there are Democrats in office who do this. Who routinely call Republics treasonous, nazis, literal "demons".

But they're Black, so not only do they get no attention, the Left will regularly join in with the right in attacking them!

If it sounds like I'm being petty... Yes! Yes I am. I'm bitter as fuck about this because I've noticed this trend for years. Y'all don't actually want what you're asking for, because you'd rally behind them Dems already doing it.

The key word is "unison", both Black, White, Hispanic...etc. All these old head "decorum " democrats is going to get us pushed into a facist regime in 20 years. Hate talking talking politics in Kansas with white moderate democrats or independent voters because like you said, I get the "crazy/angry black man" label. Even when I am citing sources with those words and nobody wants to listen to the black guy because he uses harsh words such as racist or facist. If I didn't use harsh words, you wouldn't listen to me anyway. Pisses me off all the time...

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
The key word is "unison", both Black, White, Hispanic...etc. All these old head "decorum " democrats is going to get us pushed into a facist regime in 20 years. Hate talking talking politics in Kansas with white moderate democrats or independent voters because like you said, I get the "crazy/angry black man" label. Even when I am citing sources with those words and nobody wants to listen to the black guy because he uses harsh words such as racist or facist. If I didn't use harsh words, you wouldn't listen to me anyway. Pisses me off all the time...

I see you.

I really do.

Shit pisses me off.

There are Black Dems up and down the party who STAY lighting Republicans up. STAY on their asses.

Shit, not even Justin the party! Shout out to Professor Bridges!

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Good. Get congressional republicans on record voting against it, and push it through.

Do the same for desegregated schools, because you know they're gonna take aim at Brown v Board.

I'm actually looking forward to Republicans openly opposing something that will protect interracial marriage. Wear your shit on your sleeve so people can see what type of person you are.

Edit: I didn't realize this had already passed, and now I want these motherfuckers strung out to dry.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
www.cleveland.com

House passes bill to codify gay marriage over Republican objections led by Ohio’s Jim Jordan

Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio led opposition on the House of Representatives floor.

Republican U.S. Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio voted for the Defense of Marriage Act when it came before the House of Representatives but reconsidered the issue after one of his children came out as gay. He announced his support for gay marriage in 2013. A press spokesman for Portman said he will consponsor the bill in the Senate.

Also, the highly concerned Susan Collins helped introduce the bill.

www.baldwin.senate.gov

Senators Baldwin, Feinstein, Collins Introduce Bipartisan Respect for Marriage Act | U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin

WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Senators Tammy Baldwin (D-WI), Diane Feinstein (D-CA), and Susan Collins...

"Maine voters legalized same-sex marriages in our state nearly a decade ago, and since Obergefell, all Americans have had the right to marry the person whom they love," said Senator Collins. "During my time in the Senate, I have been proud to support legislation prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, from strengthening hate crime prevention laws, to repealing 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell,' to ensuring workplace equality. This bill is another step to promote equality, prevent discrimination, and protect the rights of all Americans."

Murkowski is also on board.

Last edited:

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
These morons only changing their voting when it directly affects them (I.e a family member comes out as gay) really does show how insincere they are, and how lacking in basic human empathy they are as well. Can't remotely empathise or relate to someone else unless it somehow affects them and their families. The Conservative mindset in a nutshell.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
These morons only changing their voting when it directly affects them (I.e a family member comes out as gay) really does show how insincere they are, and how lacking in basic human empathy they are as well. Can't remotely empathise or relate to someone else unless it somehow affects them and their families. The Conservative mindset in a nutshell.

Exactly. I don't know if that report about the senator who changed his mind on equal marriage after his son came out was supposed to be some kind of feel good story, but it actually made me sick.

These people are absolutely incapable of any kind of empathy, and they know their actions have the potential to ruin people's lives but they just don't care as long as their prospects in politics are good.