• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, they wouldn't have to show anything. Who would/could challenge them?

I'm sorry, but there's no reason to believe Republican's care about this. They'll just rule it unconstitutional and that's it.
The SCOTUS has to at least pretend to be legitimate. They are not going to arbitrarily declare something unconstitutional without showing how or at least trying to.

They are not going to say "It's unconstitutional because we say so" and walk away.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
So you think he'll actually bring this to a vote? And are there not at least 10 Rs in the Senate willing to pass this? Because that seems insane, even by their standards. This is a cut and dry situation. I understand, at least in theory, Rs voting against an abortion law. But voting against this is nonsense, especially since so many marriages have already been honored.

There are not 10 Republicans in the Senate who would vote for gay marriage. I doubt there are 5. You might get 1 or 2 of the moderates, but nowhere near enough, and none of them are going to vote to blow up the filibuster on the issue.

Oct 27, 2017
What priorities? Literally all this Senate is able to do is pass reconciliation bills. They literally are incapable of doing anything else. I guess we did somehow get a gun control bill through

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
If the House is in disrepair, then the Senate is fucking broken.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Don't worry, they are "too busy" to vote on this stuff anyway...

View: https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1549473220427976706?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1549473220427976706%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

To be fair, they have month long vacations several times a year to get to.

The follow up should have been sitting his ass down in front of a camera and forcing him to detail the things he believes are more important than guaranteeing equality.

If the House is in disrepair, then the Senate is fucking broken.
Nah the Senate isn't broken.

Broken gives the impression that it can be repaired or that it ever operated properly to begin with.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
The SCOTUS has to at least pretend to be legitimate. They are not going to arbitrarily declare something unconstitutional without showing how or at least trying to.

They are not going to say "It's unconstitutional because we say so" and walk away.

No, they won't say "because I say so" but they can certainly come up with some roundabout way of misinterpreting something. They'll give it some sort of legal framework and justification. It doesn't mean that justification has to have ANY basis in reality though.

Have they gone quite that far yet? No, but they've been working their way there steadily and there's no reason to think they'll stop.

They can pretty much make up a reason, then work backwards to claim something in the constitution backs them up. It really isn't hard. Most of the Republicans on the court are not political creatures, they're ideologues and those tend to figure out what they want to do and then work their way backward from there.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Polls indicate gay marriage is broadly supported. This would be an easy win for any republican not in a blood red state.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
The follow up should have been sitting his ass down in front of a camera and forcing him to detail the things he believes are more important than guaranteeing equality.
That's what I've found so fucking frustrating over the past...6 years. The media is NEVER interested in actually pushing any of these cowards to explain themselves, NEVER holding them accountable.

Oct 27, 2017

Exactly. People are taking their understandable fear and letting it run wild. As shitty as this SC has been they aren't the first to overturn a prior ruling/precedent or leave power to states. They haven't done anything that prior Courts haven't done as well. Making up a reason something is unconstitutional not based on anything in the Constitution would be a monumental first

Polls indicate gay marriage is broadly supported. This would be an easy win for any republican not in a blood red state.
They're only concerned with fucking as many people over as possible. They don't care about wins because they already have those secured without doing anything

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
The thing about it is, they don't care about easy wins because they all are legit awful bigots.

But yeah, they will likely get a handful of R votes from people like Collins that their whole game is "I am bipartisan!"

Wyguy

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 24, 2022
I think everyone is being overly pessimistic in here. Yes, Manchin and Sinema suck, but they won't vote against it.
Are there 10 Republicans? I think there could be. Collins, Murkowski, and Portman are already 3. They could probably convince 7 others. Mitch himself said he wasn't sure if he'd filibuster the vote. If he doesn't, that would be 53-47. I know times are tough, but we shouldn't give up too early. I think it's still possible

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
For fuck's sake, if Schumer and Durbin aren't capable of making the time to put up these votes...

Adjust the fucking calendar, rework rules so that every vote doesn't take up hours and hours, etc. Be proactive, have an imagination.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
That's what I've found so fucking frustrating over the past...6 years. The media is NEVER interested in actually pushing any of these cowards to explain themselves, NEVER holding them accountable.
It is the reason why I no longer watch most news shows anymore. They bring these pieces of shit on or they interview them while walking down the hall.

Reporter: *Softball question*

Scumbag: *Obvious lie* or *Half ass answer*

Reporter: Okay thank you for your time.

Every. Fucking. Time. They NEVER follow up on these people. They NEVER hold them accountable. They NEVER ask them explain anything. It's such horseshit.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I hate this framing. Like Congress is being fucked with over the recent rulings instead of the truth, which is Congress has been shirking its responsibilities for years if not decades to both the judicial and executive branches of govt.

We all learned it as kids. Legislature makes the laws, Executive enforces them, Judicial reviews them. But Congress (in its inability to actually pass laws with any frequency) has decided to shove very serious issues like abortion, health, immigration, college debt, etc... over to the White House and Supreme Court.
Very much agree. About the only silver lining in this shitshow of a Supreme Court. As awful as it is, the harsh reality is these rights were always flaky because Congress shirked their responsibilities. So even if this court didn't overturn everything, the next one might have. We need to move towards holding legislators responsible for legislating and that's going to be a long terrible fight, but one that was always likely to happen.

For the same reason exit polls going back every election since I've been alive show that most people didn't prioritize abortion rights in how they voted. People thought Roe v Wade was settled.

I mean, there are a ton of basic rights and liberties not coded into law because our government functions on gentlemen's agreements and that idea that, once gained, a matter is settled.

But ain't shit ever settled in this shithole country.

Important to keep that in mind.
Not really. Abortion has been legal for 50 years, gay marriage has been legal for barely a dozen. It was only 14 years ago California voted against gay marriage. The country has shifted quickly on this issue but there has barely been even 5 years when this was a possibility.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Not really. Abortion has been legal for 50 years, gay marriage has been legal for barely a dozen. It was only 14 years ago California voted against gay marriage. The country has shifted quickly on this issue but there has barely been even 5 years when this was a possibility.

Huh? I wasn't referring to gay marriage in that post.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Well they only need a handful really is my point.
two handfuls which might as well be asking for the sea to be parted for a bill not about military spending. @ me though if I am wrong and Republicans actually let this pass. I will gladly eat that crow. Though at this point I'm not even sure it will make it to a vote before midterms anyway.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Just got an alert on my phone that the House just passed the bill.

See, y'all can say what y'all want about Nancy Pelosi...

But she stays handling HER part of the business, while eating a pint of ice cream.

Get on Schumer's ass.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Any Senate R that voted for trumps 2nd impeachment, the bipartisan infrastructure bill and gun bill is who we can speculate on who would vote yes on codifying same sex marriage, so Romney, Murkowski, Collins, etc. but that pool isn't too big either

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if we brought in Segregation and mixed marriage laws and had them codify through congress, which republican that votes no, can we call/tag them as racist on national tv?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Wonder if we brought in Segregation and mixed marriage laws and had them codify through congress, which republican that votes no, can we call/tag them as racist on national tv?
Every Republican in the House, as I recall, voted against a bill for Baby Formula.

At this point shaming them does fuck all because their voters are as bad as they are. That and Democrats won't do it, outside of the exceptions like Fetterman or the Squad.

But that said, we still have to do it.

Aug 12, 2019
The fact the Senate won't bring this up for some vote because of some mythical schedule is such absolute horseshit. They've got places to sleep in the Capitol, they can work 7 days a week for the rest of the year to get shit done if they need to, and this is most definitely an obvious priority to codify. And if the Republicans throw a fit, let them leave the let the Democrats establish a quorum with like Collins and Murkowski to shove this through or whatever the hell you need to make it happen.

Fucking broken ass idiotic high chamber that can't even do basic votes by design is strangling this country to death day after day and Dems barely even acknowledge it and seem to think that the system that has fucked them over for the past 25 years is suddenly going to work better if they just keep at it. Fight like hell, drag the Republicans to the floor, don't fight like "respectable people" goddamnit. And if Manchin objects, fuck it, burn him at this point since you're unlikely to hold both chambers in a couple months anyway. Better to go for broke and fail in a way that looks like fighting, than just achieving nothing for the next 3 months anyway like is going to happen.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Any Senate R that voted for trumps 2nd impeachment, the bipartisan infrastructure bill and gun bill is who we can speculate on who would vote yes on codifying same sex marriage, so Romney, Murkowski, Collins, etc. but that pool isn't too big either
Romney is never voting to make gay marriage legal

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Annoyed this prob wont even get a vote in the senate as I actually think this would have a chance of passing in the senate if it was worded clearly.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Every Republican in the House, as I recall, voted against a bill for Baby Formula.

At this point shaming them does fuck all because their voters are as bad as they are. That and Democrats won't do it, outside of the exceptions like Fetterman or the Squad.

But that said, we still have to do it.
I wouldn't even say "thier voters are as bad as them", its more people just dont pay attention to legislation that doesnt pass for the most part. Outside of some exceptions, of course.

"Show votes" to "put people on record" has almost zero affect on who people vote for, regardless of what bill it is.

Oct 27, 2017
Just got an alert on my phone that the House just passed the bill.

See, y'all can say what y'all want about Nancy Pelosi...

But she stays handling HER part of the business, while eating a pint of ice cream.

Get on Schumer's ass.
Was this even a concern for people? The House has easily passed lots of progressive bills. IIRC there's a gun control bill, abortion bill, voting rights bill, and a bunch of others that the House has passed that have stalled in Senate

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Was this even a concern for people? The House has easily passed lots of progressive bills. IIRC there's a gun control bill, abortion bill, voting rights bill, and a bunch of others that the House has passed that have stalled in Senate
I think people are seeing the "47 Republicans" and getting excited because they think this is different.

It is true for most Democratic bills, Republicans in the House nearly entirely vote no on.

My personal take is, this is an easy bill for swing state or district Republicans to vote yes on, hoping or perhaps knowing, ultimately it will fail in the Senate.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I wouldn't even say "thier voters are as bad as them", its more people just dont pay attention to legislation that doesnt pass for the most part. Outside of some exceptions, of course.

"Show votes" to "put people on record" has almost zero affect on who people vote for, regardless of what bill it is.

Yup. Similar to how activists on the left say "do something!" and the house passes a bill and 48-50 Dems in the senate vote for it, it is not noticed or quickly forgotten. Then the same people complain about messages urging more people to vote so that a workable majority can be reached.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are seeing the "47 Republicans" and getting excited because they think this is different.

It is true for most Democratic bills, Republicans in the House nearly entirely vote no on.

My personal take is, this is an easy bill for swing state or district Republicans to vote yes on, hoping or perhaps knowing, ultimately it will fail in the Senate.

I would love for the Senate to throw us a curveball and have this pass. I know there is little chance of that happening but one can dream.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
House of Lords 2.0 about to kill it.

The US really should strip the upper chamber of power like the Brits did theirs.

What a piece of shit institution.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017

I'll look forward to be calling the Republican Senator that votes "no" a racist and a Facist and no republican voter can refute that argument.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
You underestimate their mental gymnastic ability

There is no mental mature argument to back out of that one, unless they stick their fingers in their ears and yell out "don't care if I'm facist or racist, my team won", which at that point they should be recorded and posted on YouTube, Twitter...etc as an example of braindead Republicans in the US.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The senate is just broken and we need an alternative. Glad one house of congress is at least trying.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Which will pass first: House on Daylight Savings, or Senate on same-sex marriage?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'll look forward to be calling the Republican Senator that votes "no" a racist and a Facist and no republican voter can refute that argument.

They'll just say it's the Democrat's fault for putting gays in the bill as well. They'll say they don't like the gay part and they were forced to look racist by the woke mob and their constituents will stand up and scream in jubilation.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Similar to how activists on the left say "do something!" and the house passes a bill and 48-50 Dems in the senate vote for it, it is not noticed or quickly forgotten. Then the same people complain about messages urging more people to vote so that a workable majority can be reached.
Yep. Show votes pretty much never mattered and are ignored when it comes to elections. The same Rs that voted for it could just say during election time that they arent in favor of it and that is what voters will think of.