• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
The Senate won't convict. They'll use the excuse that he's no longer in office to give him another free pass.

And then we use that excuse for ads etc next election those Senators are up for to point out that they not only allowed trump the ability to run again in future after he attempted a coup, but they allowed him to keep being paid for life by tax payers after he tried a coup against the voters wills. It doesn't matter if it doesn't work on his crazies, as has been shown, if you get enough sane people out they can still lose as seen by senate races this year where democrats won seats they rarely do.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
so even if he doesn't removed would he still be banned from running again?

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The Senate won't convict. They'll use the excuse that he's no longer in office to give him another free pass.

Doesn't matter. We know they won't convict, but the goal is to set a precedent. You can't let your leader incite armed insurrection against the government and not try to do *something*. It also has the effect of tying those Republicans to their decision - not that history matters too much right now, but I'd rather be on the right side of it myself.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. And I highly doubt we'll get ~16 senators on the R side to support it.

Yes. Right now, according to public statements, it looks like maybe 4 Republican Senators might vote yes. Romney, Murkowski, Toomey, and maybe Sasse.

But, everything is crazy now. It was inevitable that the GOP would dump Trump after his loss, the only question was when. I would guess that very few Senators want to do so quite as publicly as an impeachment/conviction vote, but we won't know unless it happens.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I still doubt the Senate convicts him...but you never know. His brand is poison now, and now that some of the moderates are publicly saying they'd convict or at least want him to resign, could be enough of a cascade to get enough Republicans...I'd give it a 1 in 4 chance of happening.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Can trump be convicted if he's already out if office? If not, does that mean they can't keep him from running again?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
What's the easier lift: getting 16 Republicans to vote to convict, or getting 24-25 Republicans to not vote at all (so you only need the 50 Democratic votes, maybe 1-2 more with Romney and Murkowsky)?

MrMattatee

Oct 27, 2017
Texas (aka, the upside down)
I wonder if some GOP are thinking of having an undisclosed "family emergency" to sit out the vote, hoping Trump is convicted without their participation.

Kind of the opposite of a pocket veto. If Republican senators are concerned about raging constituents, I do think this would be effective in tamping that rage down. Not muting it, but maybe avoiding more gallows from being erected after actively voting to impeach.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can trump be convicted if he's already out if office? If not, does that mean they can't keep him from running again?

Yeah, at this point it would be about DQing him for running in 2024. Honestly, in purely political terms it benefits some of the higher profile Republicans to convict him since he'll likely dominate any primary in 2024.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Lindsey Graham told Trump they have enough to convict in Senate. It's more about Mitch bringing it to floor.
Where was this reported? Did a google search and didn't see anything about that.
Yeah, at this point it would be about DQing him for running in 2024. Honestly, in purely political terms it benefits some of the higher profile Republicans to convict him since he'll likely dominate any primary in 2024.

Yeah, that is what giving me some hope that there may be a shot of conviction in the Senate. It makes political sense for anyone wanting to run in 2024 for the GOP to have Trump off the ticket.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Where was this reported? Did a google search and didn't see anything about that.

Yeah, that is what giving me some hope that there may be a shot of conviction in the Senate. It makes political sense for anyone wanting to run in 2024 for the GOP to have Trump off the ticket.
Man I can't find it. There was a story on Twitter from rawstory I think.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
If Mitch would like Trump to be impeached, I could see them doing a combination of GOP senators being absent to bring the threshold down just enough that dems plus a few GOP senators actively voting for impeachment manages to get it to squeak through.

It seems like news is getting worse and worse for Trump now, so pressure might actually grow in the short to medium term, rather than shrink, as it becomes more apparent Trump was making a legitimate coup attempt. The rabid far right groups he whipped up trying to cause havoc while thrashing around under the pushback that's been going on isn't helping him either.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017
I have 0 hope for conviction. I absolutely do not trust the current crop of GOP senators to do so outside of Mitt Romney; maybe Murkowski or Collins. There will need to be widespread consensus among their ranks if they want to do it, and I don't see that at the moment considering 7 of them still objected to electoral college certification.

I will say, reading the article just introduced, it's short and impactful. He absolutely SHOULD be removed.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
I saw on MSNBC that 17 aren't needed. Any number of republicans can stay home that day and avoid having to vote. Which means Trump can be impeached without them having to vote.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Lindsey Graham told Trump they have enough to convict in Senate. It's more about Mitch bringing it to floor.

I will believe this when I see the votes actually tallied, and not a moment before.

The more likely alternative is that a lot of repubs don't show up to the senate that day, and the # needed to impeach goes way down.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
It would take about 23 republicans staying home to get 52 votes enough to convict (Romney and Sasse)

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
Republicans aren't going to vote to remove him. His base is their base, no chance they anger those people. Never trust a Republican to do what is right for this country.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
If Mitch would like Trump to be impeached, I could see them doing a combination of GOP senators being absent to bring the threshold down just enough that dems plus a few GOP senators actively voting for impeachment manages to get it to squeak through.

It seems like news is getting worse and worse now for Trump now, so pressure might actually grow in the short to medium term, rather than shrink, as it becomes more apparent Trump was making a legitimate coup attempt, and the rabid far right groups he whipped up try to cause havoc while thrashing around under the pushback that's been going on.
Good chance Trump hangs himself in 10 minutes considering it took heavy edits to make his prerecorded message a thinly veiled threat. Letting him on live tv will not end well

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Republicans aren't going to vote to remove him. His base is their base, no chance they anger those people. Never trust a Republican to do what is right for this country.

My hope is that if the vote actually gets pushed down the line..

1)The deplatforming makes his base less vocal and seem more fringe
2)Criminal proceedings start raining down making him look weak
3)The GOP see's an out and a future where it doesn't have to involve Trump and figure it's not worth dying on the hill.

Normally Id say its unlikely, but three months last three years now in this political climate.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
My hope is that if the vote actually gets pushed down the line..

1)The deplatforming makes his base less vocal and seem more fringe
2)Criminal proceedings start raining down making him look weak
3)The GOP see's an out and a future where it doesn't have to involve Trump and figure it's not worth dying on the hill.

Normally Id say its unlikely, but three months last three years now in this political climate.
They elected a Q believer and 60% of Republicans say that Trump did nothing wrong.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017

The dems having the majority at least lets them introduce evidence and witnesses. That is extra pressure for Rs that didn't exist last time.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
When it says "Acquitted" by his name for "Incitement of Insurrection" all hell will break loose

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
They elected a Q believer and 60% of Republicans say that Trump did nothing wrong.
Yet for senate rebulicans this presents the perfect option for stopping him running in the future. Besides he lost them the house and senate as well as the Presidency. They know he is now utterly toxic to them after the past few weeks.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately that's been debunked. Even impeached, he can run again.
www.cnn.com

Fact check: No, impeachment itself would not ban Trump from a 2024 run

A viral tweet claims that impeaching President Donald Trump for a second time would mean he would lose the ability to run for president in 2024.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I expect a lot of shit to be unearthed in the first 100 days... maybe the Senate will end up convicting him and disqualifying him from running again.