• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
any thoughts on censure?

Ken Gormley, Duquesne University's president and a constitutional scholar who authored a book on the impeachment of Bill Clinton, said adopting a joint resolution censuring Mr. Trump — a formal disapproval of his actions — would allow both parties to move forward with conducting the business of the government without the "draining experience" of a trial.

"A big part of this could be just jointly acknowledging that this is not how presidents are supposed to behave and hopefully adopting legislation ultimately to make sure in the future, presidents are on notice that trying to manipulate foreign governments in this fashion for their own political advantage is not permissible," Mr. Gormley said in an interview.

I guess the main thing is the GOP will never admit King Trump was wrong so this won't happen.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
"I was indicted for crimes but the jury made up of my friends did not convict, vote for me!"

What a great election message.
Yea these people are looking at it backwards. I'm looking at it like this: 60 percent of the country thinks he did something wrong and these Senators are gonna tell people they're wrong. The American Public hates being told it's wrong

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Yea these people are looking at it backwards. I'm looking at it like this: 60 percent of the country thinks he did something wrong and these Senators are gonna tell people they're wrong. The American Public hates being told it's wrong

Confronting racists by pointing out their bigotry, hatred and hypocrisies hardly ever goes well. They just double down.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Look at the history of the Presidency and all of the scandals involved in most of their terms. Only three have had inquiries presented, only two were impeached. To even get to this point requires irrefutable evidence, and you had three Congressional lawyers state that they had never seen a blatant abuse of power like this. Trump is the first to be impeached on his first term. You don't think the GOP wasn't spending hours of time trying to catch Obama on anything to impeach?

Important to remember, this is what he's been caught doing. Imagine all he's done that hasn't been discovered.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
"I was indicted for crimes but the jury (friends of mine) did not convict, vote for me!"

What a great election message.

I trust you're an American, right? This "persecution complex" is part of the rulebook of how dictators and authoritarian figures get elected. Being victims of a process that has punished them and their supported, and the system must be taken down with them removing term limits, and increasing their power. Not suggesting that I am accusing Trump of this, but that logic plays perfectly into the hands of his base and potentially some moderates and independents. If they believe already the legal process is biased against him, this could potentially work in his favor.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I trust you're an American, right? This "persecution complex" is part of the rulebook of how dictators and authoritarian figures get elected. Being victims of a process that has punished them and their supported, and the system must be taken down with them removing term limits, and increasing their power. Not suggesting that I am accusing Trump of this, but that logic plays perfectly into the hands of his base and potentially some moderates and independents. If they believe already the legal process is biased against him, this could potentially work in his favor.
I am indeed an American. Trump has been complaining about unfairness since 2015, it is indeed straight out of the Putin playbook. Same with the media being "enemies of the people."

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I am indeed an American. Trump has been complaining about unfairness since 2015, it is indeed straight out of the Putin playbook. Same with the media being "enemies of the people."

That's my point. It's a strategy that has worked internationally, so it amazes that people either forget or underestimate how much of a working approaching complaining about being prosecuted is. Especially among a White majority population this approach of being attacked and criticized works among that base, and it helped Trump connect with those voters and get elected. Hell, I'm an American myself, but my family lived under a dictatorship. This approach works, and I'm increasingly worried how much longer whatever norms we have left in this country will hold.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's my point. It's a strategy that has worked internationally, so it amazes that people either forget or underestimate how much of a working approaching complaining about being prosecuted is. Especially among a White majority population this approach of being attacked and criticized works among that base, and it helped Trump connect with those voters and get elected. Hell, I'm an American myself, but my family lived under a dictatorship. This approach works, and I'm increasingly worried how much longer whatever norms we have left in this country will hold.
I'm right there with you, the things Trump has done and the way he speaks about various things is terrifying as all hell.

However, seeing how unpopular he is gives me hope. Seeing him booed whenever he steps outside his safe zone, gives me hope.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah that totally fair trail in the Senate where the people in charge have literally already made up their minds on the outcome weeks/months before it even starts. That trial?

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I'm right there with you, the things Trump has done and the way he speaks about various things is terrifying as all hell.

However, seeing how unpopular he is gives me hope. Seeing him booed whenever he steps outside his safe zone, gives me hope.

We have to remember that crowds on television don't really mean anything when it comes to elections. People like Putin, Erdogan, Mugabe and others got booed and somehow stayed in power. Those crowds represent the highly motivated voters, or those with a low opportunity barrier to attending a rally. Doesn't mean anything by itself on who voters will stand behind. I'm afraid that Democrats will nominate a stinker candidate again and more leftist and/or young voters will sit out, and not enough moderates will make up the difference to beat Trump. It doesn't mean that Trump is gonna get re-elected, but we often taken shallow markers as definitive proof that he's done.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We have to remember that crowds on television don't really mean anything when it comes to elections. People like Putin, Erdogan, Mugabe and others got booed and somehow stayed in power. Those crowds represent the highly motivated voters, or those with a low opportunity barrier to attending a rally. Doesn't mean anything by itself on who voters will stand behind. I'm afraid that Democrats will nominate a stinker candidate again and more leftist and/or young voters will sit out, and not enough moderates will make up the difference to beat Trump. It doesn't mean that Trump is gonna get re-elected, but we often taken shallow markers as definitive proof that he's done.
Oh I don't think he's done, not even close. He's going to be the favorite going into 2020 because of the economy Obama handed him. The only way this changes is if we hit a recession next year. I'm just saying that certain things give me hope, nothing close to making me feel certain he's going anywhere.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
So what do Republicans do here? Do they force Trump to resign (he won't) or do they go all in and absolve him from all his crimes, and risk handing the the whole GOP base to trumpsters and have no control over their party?

Republicans don't have to do anything really. They've already abandoned democracy. They will not vote to remove him.

Their only move here is to hope that letting a criminal continue to control the white house and the country won't backfire on them in 2020.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
People that support Trump still know exactly who he is. This isn't going to change any of that. I'm not at all saying it shouldn't be done, but it doesn't really give me any warm feelings or additional hope going forward.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
For non US people, what's the difference with impeachment and removal?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Im saying him losing comes of impeachment
He was going to lose regardless. The impeachment will have very little effect in my opinion. If someone was ignorant and racist enough to plan on voting for him in the first place then the evil obstructionist Democrats impeaching him isnt gonna change their mind. Because they already OD'd on the Kool Aid.

Impeachment is not some magic bullet to Trump's downfall. It's just yet another thing to add to the mound of shit that we have already piled up the past few years. He barely won before he was shown to be a habitual liar, philanderer, and con man. He certainly isn't going to win now after the fact.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope that, if McConnell or anyone else in the Senate tries to go with the, "they've been trying to impeach him for years!" thing, someone busts out his quote about looking to immediately impeach Hillary if she won the election. It doesn't mean anything, really, but I'd still like for someone to throw it in his face.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
For non US people, what's the difference with impeachment and removal?
Basically, impeachment is the House publicly declaring he should be removed. The Senate then holds a trial and votes on removal.
Also impeachment needs a simple majority vote in the House - which Democrats can muster because they're in the majority. Senate needs 2/3rds majority, or 67 votes to remove him. It's an impossibility.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Also impeachment needs a simple majority vote in the House - which Democrats can muster because they're in the majority. Senate needs 2/3rds majority, or 67 votes to remove him. It's an impossibility.
I know that? Not sure why people feel they need to keep repeating how unlikely the senate vote is.