• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just wanted to drop in and say that AJ documentary is extremely eye opening. Highly recommended to anyone interested in the topic.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
What's worrying to me is that it seems like very few of us posting seem to care about this angle, when this is one of the major reasons we're here right now. Rather than go, maybe that wasn't a good idea or maybe she should have done X or someone else could have done X people were caught of guard when the leadership did the predictable thing. Why do you think I was concerned about warning people so often? To prevent this from occurring, or be emotionally prepared for the fallout.

Are you going to comment on any details about what you want to happen here? Truthfully, I have no idea.

What I want is for people to be able to tell that the core issue is *why* the dems leadership is doing the 'predictable thing' in the first place, instead of making the conversation focusing on 'well, she shouldn't have done this or that in the first place then if she knows what's coming for her!'

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
It's obviously being triggered by this. I'm saying it's deliberately not going after her full force and is a soft response.

The people that are upset with a response won't be happy with any response.

I mean by the same token, the people who are upset with her framing would have been upset with any framing. The question is are the dems going to continue to walk the Israeli line unquestioningly or not. Everything else is semantics

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
What I want is for people to be able to tell that the core issue is *why* the dems leadership is doing the 'predictable thing' in the first place, instead of making the conversation focusing on 'well, she shouldn't have done this or that on the first place then if she knows what's coming for her!'

We can do both. Why are you so concerned about not looking back at how we got here? It's not like Omar's a bystander here.

Do you want to Omar to get kicked out of congress or censured? Because I don't.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
It's the fact that we are now talking about the possibility of her being kicked out of the congress or censured for speaking the way she did is what's really wrong to me.

*It shouldnt be that way*

I'm not disagreeing, but putting your head in the sand isn't going to help her. It's going to guarantee that fate. Do you want that?

The dems are adding fuel to the fire by giving bad faith actors the time of day. How is that not the most important issue?

Because it's not that simple and what should Omar do so we're not here again?

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dems are adding fuel to the fire by giving bad faith actors the time of day. How is that not the most important issue?
It's not clear to me if people like Kirblar think her comments were actually anti-semitic, or if he thinks that it's okay to give bad faith actors the moral high-ground here because they've successfully twisted her statements to be seen as antisemitic.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I'm not disagreeing, but putting your head in the sand isn't going to help her. It's going to guarantee that fate. Do you want that?

The focus should not be about 'what Omar should do' but 'what the rest of Democrats, especially the leadership, should do'. To be frank, by making the convo focusing so intensely about what she should or should not do really stinks of victim blaming.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario

She can force the democrats to stop eating their own over the concern of bad faith actors by not delivering her support despite being sold out.

It's actually a lot simpler then you give it credit for, a disciplined and forward thinking leadership could turn their shit around on them, admit no ground and call republicans the real anti-semites and traitors to the nation. Trying to couch it in actual sensitivity to problematic language is pointless because these nuanced distinctions ultimately go nowhere.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The focus should not be about 'what Omar should do' but 'what the rest of Democrats, especially the leadership, should do'. To be frank, by making the convo focusing so intensely about what she should and she should not do really stinks of victim blaming.

I think it's less intentional victim blaming (though that doesn't make it not victim blaming), but it's more borne from some horrific notion that the party just is this way as a result of the omnipotent Political Reality and hey man sometimes you gotta not stand up and do the right thing, because that's just how it is. Sometimes you just gotta shut up and not unequivocally say the right thing because Politics. And calling for this to be changed is either unrealistic or dangerously opportunistic to Red Team or whatever combination of those two you need to hear to be convinced that it's not possible.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I am actually legit really angry about this.

Angry enough to almost wanting to say that if Trump wins in 2020, then the Democrats fucking deserved to lose to him for how fucking idiotic they have become.

Goddamnit.
Im ashamed to say it, but I'm actually feeling this way a bit myself. I'm starting feel cynical like politics is permanently fucked and I just want to watch it all burn.

Of course I'm still going to do what I can. But boy does today make me feel less enthusiastic than I ever have been. Just gutless cowards. The status quo is such horse shit.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I cant tell what your point is... the entire point of people being pissed at Democrats for this is because its literally up to them to decide what to do and they are choosing a path that eats their own for making an accurate and non-inflammatory statement. Its straight bullshit and there is no need to defend them or talk about how Omar shouldn't have said it. Rubbish.

There is literally no both sides to this, you should just stop imo.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
She can force the democrats to stop eating their own over the concern of bad faith actors by not delivering her support despite being sold out.

How?

It's actually a lot simpler then you give it credit for, a disciplined and forward thinking leadership could turn their shit around on them, admit no ground and call republicans the real anti-semites and traitors to the nation. Trying to couch it in actual sensitivity to problematic language is pointless because these nuanced distinctions ultimately go nowhere.

Are you saying you agree with me or

I think it's less intentional victim blaming (though that doesn't make it not victim blaming), but it's more borne from some horrific notion that the party just is this way as a result of the omnipotent Political Reality and hey man sometimes you gotta not stand up and do the right thing, because that's just how it is. Sometimes you just gotta shut up and not unequivocally say the right thing because Politics.

If you have some plan Omar can do that gets around, please, share with us.

The focus should not be about 'what Omar should do' but 'what the rest of Democrats, especially the leadership, should do'.

As the issue is about Omar's tweets it's difficult not to. You have the mistaken impression she didn't do anything they reacted to, regardless of what it was she did.

To be frank, by making the convo focusing so intensely about what she should or should not do really stinks of victim blaming.

I'm not victim blaming, it's being concerned about her political career and wanting not to go through this again and it seems so do you. Yet your actions imply you're fine with this path she's on. Which is troubling.

Lv99 Slacker

Oct 27, 2017
There is no "right way" to be critical of the Israeli government. Suppression of all speech critical of the state of Israel is entirely the point. Is it literally not AIPAC's (and, I guess, other right wing, pro Israel lobbying groups) agenda to pass laws to forbid people from expressing their first amendment right to speech? Criminalize, even?

AIPAC: Oppose Boycotts of Israel, Protect U.S. Companies
https://www.aipac.org/learn/legisla...endaid={B499D12C-C5ED-4CA6-93CF-61266D842328}

ACLU: Congress Is Trying to Use the Spending Bill to Criminalize Boycotts of Israel
https://www.aclu.org/blog/free-spee...spending-bill-criminalize-boycotts-israel-and

Miami New Times: Bill Would Label Criticism of Israel in Florida Schools "Anti-Semitic"
https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/...own-on-anti-israel-speech-in-schools-11055963

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Im ashamed to say it, but I'm actually feeling this way a bit myself. I'm starting feel cynical like politics is permanently fucked and I just want to watch it all burn.

Of course I'm still going to do what I can. But boy does today make me feel less enthusiastic than I ever have been. Just gutless cowards. The status quo is such horse shit.
That's literally how they want you to feel when they do stuff like this.

Chin up, fight back and break it all down.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have some plan Omar can do that gets around, please, share with us

Omar isn't the one that needs to change on this issue.

No, I'm saying I understand your position and I think that's is both morally bankrupt and politically ineffective

Basically this. It's not as much as an example of Democratic Pragmatism as people think when they're going after a freshman legislator who's well-liked and rode into office on a constituency kilometers to the left of the party at large. And on an issue not even that important nearly anyone except AIPAC/lobbyist groups.

But then again, the party legislating for moneyed interests first and regular people second is nothing new for them.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I cant tell what your point is... the entire point of people being pissed at Democrats for this is because its literally up to them to decide what to do and they are choosing a path that eats their own for making an accurate and non-inflammatory statement. Its straight bullshit and there is no need to defend them or talk about how Omar shouldn't have said it. Rubbish.

There is literally no both sides to this, you should just stop imo.

Great, you want her career to be destroyed.

No, I'm saying I understand your position and I think that's is both morally bankrupt and politically ineffective

Seems to be working fine for Tlaib and AOC.

Omar isn't the one that needs to change on this issue.

I have yet to hear how she's supposed to do this by herself.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Seems to be working fine for Tlaib and AOC.

I don't know. I think both of them lost some shine from not taking an unequivocal stance right away. But in any event they were going to be supported by the activist base and despised by republicans either way. It's clearly bigger then that though. The dems have to learn to stop giving bad faith actors the time of day.

edit: Also Tlaib didn't both sides in the first place which kind of undermines your argument.

https://twitter.com/RashidaTlaib/status/1102360672795574272

this should be the party response

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Oh no, how dare she say such nasty words about daddy Israel! I hope she's harshly disciplined for such a vitriolic display against our great allies in Israel!

They are a great country that are definitely not committing war crimes, and even if they were who cares about the Palestinians anyway? What have they ever done for AMERICA?

Chiggs

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
El Segundo
User Banned (1 Day): Inflammatory community generalizations and antagonizing other members
Yeah fuck all the assholes who did this and gonna vote against Omar. AIPAC is cancer. Israel is cancer.

Israel is cancer, huh? Your post tells you all you need to know about ResetEra.

What a disgrace that such a "progressive" forum allows hate speech. I hope others in the gaming community are reading this thread and taking notice.

ResetEra is cancer.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone if Ilhan Omar didn't want this to happen to her she shouldn't have been wearing something as provocative as that dress---I mean not said anything.

necrosis

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

What a disgrace that such a "progressive" forum allows hate speech. I hope others in the gaming community are reading this thread and taking notice.

ResetEra is cancer.

lmfao

imagine conflating disdain for an apartheid state full of war criminals with hate speech

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

ResetEra is cancer.

Hating a government of a country is hate speech? Why do some of you act like fucking idiots as if you dont know who the statement is aimed at?

Dont participate in the forum if it is cancer to you then.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I am actually legit really angry about this.

Angry enough to almost wanting to say that if Trump wins in 2020, then the Democrats fucking deserved to lose to him for how fucking idiotic they have become.

Goddamnit.

This. I don't even live there anymore but if I did this whole shit would've been my breaking point. God I can't even imagine what it feels like to be a black muslim in America and see how little my opinions matter.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ResetEra is cancer.

Boy you hit all those talking points didn't you?

Alright enough games who's alt is this? Come on don't be shy, I'm not mad just disappointed.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda sad when even era-members accepts the framing of right-wingers.

Dont assume Era is a monolith and dont forget, many on Era would defend the Democratic party for its bullshit as hard as they can.

It wont surprise you then.

Boy you hit all those talking points didn't you?

Alright enough games who's alt is this? Come on don't be shy, I'm not mad just disappointed.

61 posts, you are right that it may be an alt, I have to remember to check that before responding.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ResetEra is cancer.
Israel really is. Maybe you should read up on the atrocities they commited in the past several decades.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
This has been known for people around the world for a good 40 years. It is just that the American people are only now realizing the obvious truths: The US, despite having democratic mechanisms, is not, and never was a democracy; Most politicans are traitors...

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dont assume Era is a monolith and dont forget, many on Era would defend the Democratic party for its bullshit as hard as they can.

It wont surprise you then.

61 posts, you are right that it may be an alt, I have to remember to check that before responding.

I've spent enough time in the Women criticizing sexual character design thread to know that if you see someone make such an obvious disingenuous post it's all but guarantee that they're just a troll.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
How is it ok for Israel to heavily influence our government but not for Russia? Need to get money out of politics, this is nuts.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This is one thing that will make me decide who I'll vote in the dem primary for presidential candidate tbh.

Most dems are trash on this topic, as evidenced by this motion.

This is one thing that Bernie was really good on tbh...
But at the same time I don't wanna vote for Bernie cause he is divisive and I want a dem victory over Drumph...but I really am tired of this democratic support on this.

There is a video out there that has the democratic caucus being against support for Jerusalem as Israel capital...and everyone booed. Yet they still passed it. People are tired of this shit.
https://youtu.be/zoPrBnrWvrE
Watching this gives me some satisfaction

Regardless. DEMS U R WEAK AF

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Judging by the reactions in this thread, as well as comments elsewhere, it would seem like the era of 'unquestioned support for Israel by the public' is at an end. Where we go from here remains to be seen, but Democrats will eventually have to realise their position on this issue is increasingly unpopular and actions like this damage their relationship with their base.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be pissed if people like Sanders and Warren don't have anything to say in her defense.

The despicable poster of her was nothing short of a racial hate crime that could easily end in violence against her in today's climate. And now we have not only the trash GOP, but some of her own party betraying her and my country.

This all should be completely condemned.

Last edited:

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Inflammatory Commentary; Antagonizing Other Users

ResetEra is cancer.
Israel is a fascist state and it is cancer ever since it's inception. If you don't like that people nowadays won't accept Israeli propaganda easily, then go away. No one will miss you.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be pissed if people like Sanders and Warren don't have anything to say in her defense.

The despicable poster of her was nothing short of a racial hate crime that could easily end in violence against her in today's climate. And now we have not only the trash GOP, but some of her own party betraying her and my country.

This all should be completely condemned.

What Senators can do in this case is limited to words because only the House votes on this. I believe Sanders has given her support though.
I don't agree with everything Omar says, but I think what she's saying is a valid criticism and is not anti-Semitism.

Judging by the reactions in this thread, as well as comments elsewhere, it would seem like the era of 'unquestioned support for Israel by the public' is at an end. Where we go from here remains to be seen, but Democrats will eventually have to realise their position on this issue is increasingly unpopular and actions like this damage their relationship with their base.

So far this attitude is just millenials/the progressive base (AKA the folks who post here) . It's when the squishy moderates start changing that we'll see a real change, but that's coming eventually (might take a decade or so).

Status
Not open for further replies.