• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's cool and comforting to shit on Florida, but these are laws that can and will be replicated in other states. It's like Florida is being used as a test bed for racist, homophobic laws to roll out everywhere. Like the anti-CRT and white fragility laws, this is a detritus for an incoming wave of white Christian fascism that's about to get more control of this country.

Stay vigilant and be ready to act if it comes down to it.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Florida also recently banned any sort of curriculum that comes from out of state. Everything be taught has to be Florida approved. It's all so fucked up.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Under His Eye.

Can we please get bigotry and bronze age mythology out from the law-making process? thanks.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
This state is getting worse and worse. Alabama and Mississippi are going to be more progressive at this rate. This is infuriating.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
There are over 5 million people who voted Democrat in Florida in 2020.

For reference. As someone who lives here, I get the Florida hate. Just remember that it isn't a lost cause. We're out here.

7HiK9O8.png

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
When is the bullshit conservative belief that people can be influenced or choose to be gay going to go away? The panic that the "gay agenda" will lead to children becoming homosexual makes no sense. They are utterly incapable of imagining that *gasp* gay folks are just who they are. They didn't wake up and say "you know what I'm going to be gay from now on." It's fucking ludicrous, mind your own damn business and let people be who they are.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
For reference. As someone who lives here, I get the Florida hate. Just remember that it isn't a lost cause. We're out here.

7HiK9O8.png
I live here too and the fact that he won by a higher margin in 2020 is really troubling. And I hope things change but DeSantis has gone from barely winning in 2018 to being a shoe-in for reelection in 2022. Things are trending in a terrible direction here.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Official Staff Communication
Hey gals & guys, keep in mind that not everyone down there is a bigoted asshole. There's a lot of decent people and marginalized groups having to live down there, who's lives are made worse by things like this, who probably don't appreciate being generalized and lumped in with the assholes.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida

7HiK9O8.png

This. And we need all the allies we can get. This bailing out on Florida because of a red election and a shitty governor doesn't help the cause.

My county voted 93% for Trump. I'm still out here with my Biden sticker dealing with assholes giving me the finger, doors slammed in our faces in election years, and getting in my face over a mask.

Don't let us drown.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
My county voted 93% for Trump. I'm still out here with my Biden sticker dealing with assholes giving me the finger, doors slammed in our faces in election years, and getting in my face over a mask.

I have so much respect and admiration for people like you who do this work in red states.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
Why even bother having schools? Clearly parents just want to homeschool indoctrinate their kids anyway.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
This. And we need all the allies we can get. This bailing out on Florida because of a red election and a shitty governor doesn't help the cause.

Don't let us drown.

Ouch. I feel like I'm living in a paradise by comparison living in a blue county where Biden won by a whopping 0.22%.

Why even bother having schools? Clearly parents just want to homeschool indoctrinate their kids anyway.

They want the full privatization of K-12 so that they can send their kids to the school that'll do that for them, but on the government's dime.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018
Florida has a rep for being a "swing state," but it arguably really isn't one. It's tilted slightly Republican for quite some time. From 1952 to present, the only Democratic presidential candidates to win the state were Johnson in 1964, Carter in 1976, Clinton in 1996, and Obama in both 2008 & 2012. That's only five wins out of 18 elections (officially, at least; see also the 2000 election). The state also hasn't elected a Democrat to the governor's office since 1994. While the state is only marginally Republican, it's enough to where Republicans win statewide elections more often than not, and because of that you get absolutely garbage bills like this that actually have a good chance of becoming law because the state is ran by absolutely garbage "leaders" like DeathSantis.

And the reason for this is mainly the northern half of the state. Northern Florida is mostly like the most redneck-y parts of the rest of the South, being more sparsely populated and rural, and predominantly Republican. The panhandle does have three major metro areas, those being Tallahassee, Pensacola, and Panama City, but only Tallahassee is predominantly Democratic. Going out towards the Atlantic coast, even Jacksonville barely tilts Democratic despite being a major city, and Alachua County (where Gainesville is) is the only place in northeast/north-central Florida to be heavily Democratic. So, even the cities in northern Florida are typically more Republican than average for cities of their size.

Meanwhile, the southern part of the state leans Democratic, thanks to the more traditionally Dem-skewing cities of Miami, Tampa, and Orlando. It's not heavily Democratic, but would probably be consistently Democratic if it were its own state, kinda like Minnesota or post-Bush Virginia.

I've seen suggestions for a hypothetical Florida partition that look something like this:

florida-partition-map.png

If Florida was split in two this way, the results of the 2020 election would have looked like this assuming the county-level votes remained unchanged:

PopulationElectorsBiden voteTrump vote
N. Florida5,416,920101,351,7842,003,756
S. Florida13,384,390213,945,2613,664,975

That just shows you how much the north part of the state skews things in the Republicans' favor.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Florida has a rep for being a "swing state," but it arguably really isn't one. It's tilted slightly Republican for quite some time.
Both things are can be true. As your stats point out, its voted with the presidential winner every year since '64 except '92 and '20. That's, what? 13 out of the last 15 elections? That makes FL only slightly more GOP than the rest of the country.

Edit: Two what ifs?
What if Gore really won it in 2000? And without Perot who wins in '92?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
"This bill is about defending the most awesome responsibility a person can have: being a parent," Florida state Rep. Joe Harding (R), who first introduced the bill, said Thursday. "That job can only be given to you by above."

Doctors at fertility clinics:
Untitled-5.jpg

Yeah, fuck off Florida.

Feb 9, 2018
Both things are can be true. As your stats point out, its voted with the presidential winner every year since '64 except '92 and '20. That's, what? 13 out of the last 15 elections? That makes FL only slightly more GOP than the rest of the country.

Edit: Two what ifs?
What if Gore really won it in 2000? And without Perot who wins in '92?
While the average margin is close enough for it to be competitive, it still tilts just slightly enough in the Republicans' favor for them to win it more often than not. Also, it was one of only a few states to shift rightward in 2020, with Trump having the second-best showing of a Republican in the state in the past 30 years in percentage terms. Either Florida Republicans are really motivated to get out and vote when Trump is on the ballot, or the state is starting to attract more Republicans than Democrats. I guess we'll have to see how things play out in the next two cycles. If Ron DeSantis of all people gets re-elected this year, that should give us an early indicator of how Florida is headed.

As for the 2000 election, it's still debated on whether or not Gore actually won the state, although if even just 10% of Nader voters had changed their mind and voted Gore that year, it would have never gone to the Supreme Court in the first place. And as for 1992, exit polls indicated that Perot drew nearly equal amount of support from both Democrats and Republicans, so Bush Sr's nearly 2-point lead in Florida likely wouldn't have changed much if Perot wasn't on the ballot. Then again, exit polls do have their own margins of error, but I still think Bush Sr would have won it regardless.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
New update on the Bill as it goes through the amendment phase. Simply not happy enough with muzzling, these hog legislators now want to openly allow abuse, neglect, abandonment, and possibly murder (I know this last might be hyperbolic, but when it comes to insane Christians with access to guns I don't put the possibility past them) all under their fear of LGBTQA+:

Amendment to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill would force schools to out students in 6 weeks

A new amendment to Florida's so-called "Don't Say Gay" bill would explicitly require schools to inform parents of their child's sexual orientation, and put a deadline on how soon they must tell the family.

The amendment filed by bill sponsor Rep. Joe Harding, R-Williston, on Feb. 18 changes the bill to instead not only require disclosure, but requires schools to tell parents within six weeks of learning the student is any sexual orientation other than straight.

One rep. has put in an amendment to fight back against this as much as they could

One amendment, filed by Rep. Ana Eskamani, D-Orlando, seems aimed directly at the potential negative consequences created by forcibly outing students. If passed with the rest of the bill, the amendment would allow students to sue the Florida Department of Education for damages and attorney fees for causing "irreparable harm" by revealing their sexual orientation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
New update on the Bill as it goes through the amendment phase. Simply not happy enough with muzzling, these hog legislators now want to openly allow abuse, neglect, abandonment, and possibly murder (I know this last might be hyperbolic, but when it comes to insane Christians with access to guns I don't put the possibility past them) all under their fear of LGBTQA+:

Amendment to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill would force schools to out students in 6 weeks

One rep. has put in an amendment to fight back against this as much as they could
Your not being hyperbolic. Trans panic is still used as a defense in this fucking country, and a law to out students to parents is going to lead to beaten, homeless, and even dead teens, no exaggeration. Trust me as someone who spent 40 years in the closet in my teens it was literally because I felt if they found out certain male members of my family would kill me, and the few that suspected I was queer in some way did inflict physical violence on me.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
thehill.com

Florida House passes ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill

The Parental Rights in Education bill passed in a 69-47 vote.

The bill has passed the Florida House now.

The Florida House of Representatives on Thursday approved legislation that would ban certain discussions of gender identity and sexual orientation in schools.

Florida's House passed the Parental Rights in Education bill — known to its critics as "Don't Say Gay" — on Thursday in a 69-47 vote. It now moves to the Senate, where a similar piece of legislation is already being debated.

Absolutely awful.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck cant people mind their own fucking business?! Why the Fuck is it so fucking hard not to stick your nose into any one else's personal business. It doesnt concern anyone else but the people affected.

US needs to pass a "Mind your own fucking business" law. FUCK.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
At some point the advice is going to be Don't Visit America if the flight takes you through any number of American states.

Absolutely.

Why the fuck cant people mind their own fucking business?! Why the Fuck is it so fucking hard not to stick your nose into any one else's personal business. It doesnt concern anyone else but the people affected.

US needs to pass a "Mind your own fucking business" law. FUCK.

More and more will keep happening because our "allies" aren't going to do anything to help. It's the sad reality.

Deleted member 55524

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
DeSantis is fucking scary. The lack of outrage over this issue is perhaps scarier. I really hope this gets more public scrutiny when it inevitably passes the Senate. Feels like gay rights are slowly slipping away.

Oct 27, 2017
Save the cishet straight white male. Coddle him more. Make sure whiteness is upheld as pure and virtuous and anything else is animalistic scum.

Every single one of these Republicans, I hope they suffer unimaginably for the horrors they're inflicting.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Whichever Democrat goes against Desantis next election needs to run with this issue. This is a violation of human rights and a stupid bill so Florida Republicans can say "Look! We did stuff!"

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Whichever Democrat goes against Desantis next election needs to run with this issue. This is a violation of human rights and a stupid bill so Florida Republicans can say "Look! We did stuff!"

Nikki Fried is the only one who speaks out and running for governor and is currently the only democrat to be elected state wide in Florida as Agriculture commissioner

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Less surprise about them doing it, and more surprise at them just flat out saying it.

Hopefully the usual parties launch lawsuits to get things tied up.
🤷‍♂️

They're usually pretty vocal about it.

We're talking about a country that has "In God We Trust" on our currency and whose citizens say "God bless America" like it's a tic.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm confused. Since when would a teacher absolutely know or even care if their student(s) is gay, straight, or trans? Teachers are there to teach from my experience, and most don't really care about these personal details unless a student comes to them for help? And if a teacher does mistakenly out a student to their parents who isn't gay, does that open up for a lawsuit against the Florida government? And I don't even want to think about if said student is harassed by other students or staff because news of their personal lives being leaked.

God, this is fucked. I'd rather they just come out and say that they want the LGBTQ community shunned and probably dead because they don't fit into the GOPs warped ideas about what is "normal".

Dec 30, 2020
If I found out -any- school was asking my students about their sexual orientation, I'd disassemble that building brick by brick.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017

Nikki Fried, the current Ag. Commissioner and only elected Democrat in the cabinet, is running against Desantis for Governor this election. She spoke earlier today on it calling it a "Dark Day". Another dem. rep. called Desantis out saying the Governor's support of the bill only furthers the fact that "he doesn't like black, gay, or trans people"

Nikki Fried says it's a 'dark day' as House readies to pass bill limiting discussion of LGBTQ issues in schools

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Can't talk about sexual orientation. OK.

Set up a legal fund to help parents sue any school district where any cis teacher mentions that they're married.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Between this and Texas, it really feels like Republicans just want an increase in LGBQT+ youth suicides.
Too many times that Bugs gif works.
There's really no words, it's plain awful, and Florida's ability to approve only the most asinine bills continues.
In a thread about erasing queer kids, maybe not the best use.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Can't talk about sexual orientation. OK.

Set up a legal fund to help parents sue any school district where any cis teacher mentions that they're married.

If only it worked that way. People consider a straight cis teacher saying they are married age appropriate. They do not consider a gay cis teacher saying they are married age appropriate. I've seen these kinds of talking points even from liberals. It's so messed up.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
I know it's cool and comforting to shit on Florida, but these are laws that can and will be replicated in other states. It's like Florida is being used as a test bed for racist, homophobic laws to roll out everywhere. Like the anti-CRT and white fragility laws, this is a detritus for an incoming wave of white Christian fascism that's about to get more control of this country.

Stay vigilant and be ready to act if it comes down to it.
I was thinking before your post, has Florida become some sort of far right science experiment, with outside money coming in to fund some of this heinous shit? Seems like a hard swing for a state that I can still remember being a toss up not too long ago, at least at a national level. I don't know what was happening on the state or county levels 20 years ago, where maybe this shit was always brewing?

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Harding's bill, along with its companion bill introduced Tuesday by Florida state Sen. Dennis Baxley (R), would block teachers in Florida from talking about LGBTQ+ topics that are not "age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students."

And who gets to make that call? Well, bigots, of course.

Such a nonsensical proposal.