• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
OK time to finally see what the fuss is about.
Even Without Knowing the reputation of the games, I would have bought it for the soundtrack alone.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's two games, so $12.50 per game. For games of this quality and with as much content as they do have (2 may even have a level editor, but I'm not sure if that's PC exclusive or not) that's more than worth it.

These games have been out on so many systems and have been offered for free for so many times, that I don't think the price is reasonable - and I love both games.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Tip for newer players: Death has no real consequence in these games. You're expected to die dozens of times before you finally get the grasp of things, don't get discouraged and go nuts 8)
Also, you can press Square (or whatever the Switch's equivalent is) to lock onto the nearest enemy, this makes getting over the shitty analog controls a lot bearable but if I were you, I wouldn't make it a crutch

I played HM1 recently on PC after finishing the game for the first time on the Vita ages ago and whew, the mouse controls make the whole game feel different

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
If I'd have to pick either, I'd go with Hotline Miami for more bang for your buck.

Superhot is one of the most unique shooters ever made and has some really tight levels from start to finish, but the story is kinda weak and it's also a little bit on the short side.

Hotline Miami's gameplay was a bit of a trailblazer for its time so certain elements of it may feel a little less "unique" by now, and Hotline Miami 2's level design is kinda hit or miss, but Hotline Miami's level design is rock solid, and the narrative the games build up to is fantastic. You'll easily get 15-20 hours out of both games together and it's got a bunch of payoff.

Still, I wouldn't sleep on Superhot, so get that eventually as well.

Thanks for the insight mate. Ape Out was one of my favorite games this year, and I was contemplating buying 12 is better than 6 last week, so I guess I'll like HotLine Miami. 20 hours is the perfect duration too. I'll probably buy Superhot when it'll be on sale.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Expanding upon my initial point a little more, it would have been to have a Donkey Kong/Fox McCloud/Star Wolf/Falco Nintendo only style mask upgrades with specific gun powerup, strength for DK etc. Little things like that.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I disagree. Especially since both games have been on sale on PS4, Xbone, and PC for less than $15 in the past. I understand trying to squeeze as much money as they can out of the game, but that's a tad much in my opinion.

Are they on sale for those prices right now?

From Steam

kFaLekl.png

This isn't even a switch tax

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
HM2 is a little messier than the first but I still love it almost as much. Just don't try to melee through everything and embrace guns instead. Also the GOAT title screen.

Plum

May 31, 2018
So, this, or SuperHot? I really don't have time for both and what's coming after...

They're two different experiences when it comes to what you tend to do in them. The HM games are both quite story-driven and, outside of ranks and a few secrets, but they're much longer than Superhot which focuses its gameplay heavily on endless modes and special challenge replays. They're both excellent games so aim to get them even if you have to wait for a sale for Superhot.

They duke it out and destroy one another in Smash all the time, why not?

It isn't ruining the IPs.

Holy shit what version of Smash are you playing?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand playing this in portable sounds perfect...

on the other hand I fear for my Switch's safety.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I never played the first one and I never completed the second one. I have a trip coming up later this week, so I will definitely be buying this.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Sooo do we have an idea of the Eshop update for this ? Cause i'll have to go to work in a few hours, it would be nice to play this before.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. Especially since both games have been on sale on PS4, Xbone, and PC for less than $15 in the past. I understand trying to squeeze as much money as they can out of the game, but that's a tad much in my opinion.
Porting a game to Switch is free - you can just wait on a sale if its too much for you right now just like on other systems.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Quick reminder that everyone was wrong about Hotline Miami 2. It was amazing.
Preach. One of the most misunderstood games in human fucking history, if you ask me. Its storytelling and how it ties into and adds context to the events of Hotline Miami 1 is nothing short of masterful, and its soundtrack is one of the best in all of gaming. I love Hotline 1, of course, but 2 is the better game overall. I know that's now how it seems at first blush, but upon further examination the design intent of Hotline 2 really becomes clear and stands tall about its predecessor. Playing through Hotline 1 feels quite rudimentary and easy compared to the challenging, sprawling saga that is Hotline 2. Both games are masterpieces individually, but together they are truly transcendent. They're companion pieces unlike anything else in gaming.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Wait so you think Smash's cartoon violence is the same as this:

source.gif

tumblr_n0lezeuMqH1qlh1nvo1_500.gif

????
I didn't say that, I said Nintendo IPs fight each other to win and have to send each one off the map to do so. I didn't say they mutilate one another, they do destroy and beat each other up and it has practically no ties to the actual IPs of said games.

All the main character would have is a mask paying homage to the Nintendo characters, that's all. The masks aren't even damaged if I recall in these games.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd argue some of the Torture attacks aren't much better.

There is a huge contrast on who you're torturing in Hotline Miami and Bayonetta. It's really visible imo - we're talking about a serial killer in Hotline Miami, and the game is really gross (in a good way but not for Nintendo I would assume) in it's depiction of violence. Hotline Miami is more realistic, Bayonetta is more cartoony.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I didn't say that, I said Nintendo IPs fight each other to win and have to send each one off the map to do so. I didn't say they mutilate one another, they do destroy and beat each other up and it has practically no ties to the actual IPs of said games.

Yeah but that violence is completely unrealistic and nobody actually dies. In Hotline Miami you'd have Mario running around murdering countless mobsters (and police, soldiers, etc) portrayed as actual humans in cold blood with realistic weapons. They're nowhere near the same thing.