• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I wouldn't call it a hot take either, people have been saying this for years.

OP
OP
Spinluck

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
There were discussions about having XBOX be compatible with the Dreamcast, as well as Dreamcast 2 that was in development before SEGA quit hardware.

y1Iidxc.jpg

KETt2Gl.jpg

5m7aQh0.jpg

LWQiIgs.jpg[img]

I felt kind of good for connecting the dots before making this thread lmao.

Nonetheless this is pretty cool.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not a hot take and I thought it was well known. And while not the only reason but it was definitely a factor in why some people myself included preferred the OG X-Box that generation.

Kind of a shame where the brand has gone in my opinon, have not even thought of buying a one.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The dreamcast could run directX , the first console ever to support directx and the only non-microsoft hardware to support it ever.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Seamus has talked openly about how original Xbox designs had a VMU in them. This is the coldest take I've ever seen.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Dude, the Xbox controller is basically a black Dreamcast controller. Of course it is a spiritual successor, it's not a hot take at all.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've seen some takes in my time. But this... this one is pretty far from hot haha

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I wouldn't call it a hot take either, people have been saying this for years.
Seriously. This is the most tepid of takes. Panzer, Jet Set, 2K (which was a powerhouse back then) at/near launch. MS and Sega had a fling and tried to make it work. Xbox sold like 87 units over there and kinda changed the relationship.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
It's gonna be pretty awkward if you're still holding a grunge over this 18 years later.
Now they're giving you baseball. Make amends lol

hahaha. I have made amends. Owned a PS3, PS4 and am subscribed to PSPlus and PSNow. I just really loved the Dreamcast! I remember importing a Japanese one just to play House of the Dead and that awesome fishing game with that amazing fishing controller! Nostalgia makes me want to pick one up.

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
hahaha. I have made amends. Owned a PS3, PS4 and am subscribed to PSPlus and PSNow. I just really loved the Dreamcast! I remember importing a Japanese one just to play House of the Dead and that awesome fishing game with that amazing fishing controller! Nostalgia makes me want to pick one up.

Powerstone was life! Remember begging my folks to take me to the import shop in NY just to play. I got a VMU before I actually got the console lol!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea this was a thing/connection, but I definitely see it now in hindsight. As an aside, Gunvalkyrie really made me hate pressing in thumbsticks as in input...

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
They did get a lot of the games I think would of been on the Dreamcast. I personally wouldn't say a spiritual successor in those words but they did seem like to be where Sega put more of the exclusives at during that gen.

Oct 27, 2017
It launched with sequels to popular Dreamcast games.
Then more brand new entries in beloved Sega franchises which had Dreamcast games like Jet Set Radio, House of the Dead and Crazy Taxi.

Sega definitely supported the PS2 and Gamecube with games but the Xbox clearly was getting the biggest name sequels outside of Virtua Fighter.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't feel like this is a hot take, I feel like that's been what everyone's kinda said since the OG Xbox released. All of my Sega mad friends got very into the Xbox. It had Shenmue and Panzer Dragoon and Crazy Taxi and Sega, generally, supported it massively. It also had Internet play. Was well Dreamcast 2.0.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
You know what, I get the same feeling for some reason. It was a monster ahead of its time.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
It launched with sequels to popular Dreamcast games.
Then more brand new entries in beloved Sega franchises which had Dreamcast games like Jet Set Radio, House of the Dead and Crazy Taxi.

Sega definitely supported the PS2 and Gamecube with games but the Xbox clearly was getting the biggest name sequels outside of Virtua Fighter.

Wasn't only Sega's direct output either. Itagaki went from supporting Sega with Dead or Alive to supporting Xbox. Then you also had Bizarre Creations transitioning MSR over to PGR.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
VF4Evo is the GOAT, however nobody have a fuck about VF3tb on Dreamcast, and so a spiritual successor wouldn't require it. Having Dead or Alive 3 and Ultimate is actually more important for this.

Hard disagree.

Two multi platform games not synonymous with Sega aren't more important then Virtua Fighter on a Sega console.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Hard disagree.

Two multi platform games not synonymous with Sega aren't more important then Virtua Fighter on a Sega console.

If we were talking about a spiritual successor to the Saturn, then not having Virtua Fighter (or Sega Rally) would disqualify you immediately, because those game define the system to a great extent. For the Dreamcast however Virtua Fighter 3tb was rendered obsolete by Soul Calibur before the US release was upon us. The DC isn't remotely defined by Virtua Fighter (or the poor port of Sega Rally 2).

Dead or Alive 2 on the other hand was a huge deal on Dreamcast. Dead or Alive 3 and Dead or Alive Ultimate were also not multiplatform. They were Xbox exclusives.

Third party games absolutely can be more important to a console's legacy than first party output. Metal Gear Solid, Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy VII are more important to the PS1 legacy than the cast majority of Sony's own output, and if a following console then had sequels to each of them, they would absolutely be more of a spiritual successor than another that just had Twisted Metal instead.

Even a Power Stone followup would mean more to a platforms Dreamcast-like qualities than Virtua Fighter would. Virtua Fighter is a Saturn defining IP that just happens to have a Dreamcast entry, much like how Shinobi X isn't meaningful to Saturn the way Revenge of Shinobi is the Genesis/Mega Drive.

We're not discussing games synonymous with Sega. We're discussing games synonymous with Dreamcast, and in that conversation Virtua Fighter doesn't rank very highly at all.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Thats the reason why i bought a Xbox. As a Sega fan, Xbox was getting alot of Sega games. Unfortunatly MS dropped the ball and abandoned the support for a console that died way too soon. And because of that they lost me as a costumer.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a hot take, it's pretty much true. Xbox got most of what would have released on Dreamcast; Gamecube got updated ports and most of the rest of the games in development; PS2 got the left over odds and ends (Ferrarri F355, King of Route 66, Sega Bass Fishing Duel, Space Channel 5 Part 2, Rez).

Not to say PS2 got bad Sega support, but most of it (iirc) was post-dreamcast development stuff (VF4, Shinobi/Nightshade, Sakura Wars)

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
considering how quickly they dropped sega's excellent (but poorly received, sadly) lineup, i always kinda hate seeing this. the titles that went to GC & PS2 thankfully did better.

yeah, they aped the things sega did first (online, etc) the way sony & nintendo did. they kept western devs (shooters & RPGs especially) going.

their studios had literally none of the magic of sega's internal ones, putting out arguably their finest works in the years before. architecturally/design wise i can see the argument, the library has tragically little in common (and i say that really digging the OG xbox library)

PETER. *breathes* f'n MOORE.

''Moore disclosed that at a security checkpoint at Chicago O'Hare International Airport, a TSA security agent said "I don't need to see your passport. You're the asshole that gave away Shenmue to Xbox."'

not all heroes wear capes

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I can't be the only one who thinks this? The OG Xbox is a pretty underrated system and I thought it brought over a lot of things that I think the next Dreamcast would've done.

Nope the two systems share no DNA.

Dreamcast was very much about bringing the arcade home, and most of it's games are arcade experiences

Soul Calibur, the majority of Capcom's stuff, Crazy Taxi etc

Xbox on the other hand was more about bringing PC gaming to the living room

Games like Halo, Morrowind, Doom 3, Star Wars KOTOR

PC gaming and Arcade gaming are drastically different, so the two systems did not deliver even close to the same experiences. The only thing that would qualify Xbox as a Dreamcast successor is the fact Sega released a handful of exclusives for it.

But Xbox was not Dreamcast, Xbox was not a Sega console, did not feel like a Sega console and was not created by a company with deep seated roots in the arcade. People were just dissapointed that Sega exited the hardware game and disaffected Sega fans adopted Xbox as a surogate