• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Vanquish. That's not what I'm here to talk about though. I'm here to talk about MadWorld on the Wii.
madworld-10-header.png

Which is arguably their second or third best title they've ever made.
This game is so incredibly stylish. I love the artstyle. I love the humor, DiMaggio never fails to make me laugh, and The Black Baron is hilarious as well(edit: he isn't funny himself, more the situation he's put in and how he dies) The humor definitely comes off as juvenile and edgy, but it still gets me.
mad_GC_03-660x370.jpg

This has to be one of the stylish games released during that gen. Reminds me of Okami in a sort of fucked up way.

I love the combat and the point system, which is something Bulletstorm, a fantastic fps, took and used. My only real gripe is that things start getting repetitive in the sound and voice department.

I just found this game to be an absolute blast to play, and it's such a shame that more people didn't get to experience this solid 8/10 game.

It's cheap guys, try it.

how can you talk about this game and not mention the sound track?

I forgot to mention the soundtrack. ILikeFeet is right, check that shit out.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I still can't believe the director of Final Fantasy Tactics was the writer of Madworld. Straight up makes no sense but I'm here for it. Great game

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
It is in fact Vanquish. I don't care too much for their other games.

Nier: Automata is a very distant second. Would love to play MadWorld but it's probably stuck on the Wii forever.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Loved MadWorld, fantastic game that I wish could get a nice touch up and re-release

but W101 is still the winner for me

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Came here for Wonderful 101 and I leave disappointed.

Madworld was fun, and I'm glad there was a sort of continuation in Anarchy Reigns even though that game bombed harder than a normal Platinum bomb

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madworld's an entertaining game that's more overlooked than it should be but it's shallow compared to most Platinum stuff.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Nah it is Bayonetta, but I really liked Madworld too. Visually cool, arcadey, and nice music and story made it fun to play. It's quite a bit clunky though, and once you know how to maximize your scores, there isn't much variance on subsequent plays.

Bayonetta is just too fluid and full of raw gameplay though, it's the best Platinum game and I mostly like all of their action games (even Starfox Zero.)

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the remaster even out yet? It is a great game in desperate need of some work. It was blurry AF on 360

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't this he game with Greg Proops as the announcer?

I wanted to like this game so badly but it just felt kind of try-hard.

Was much more a No More Heroes kinda duder during this era. That was way more my style

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Are you serious? what?!
YasMat specifically requested to downplay his involvement in the game, like, no announcing it or anything, just have him in the credits
simply because something like MadWorld was so outside his usual work that he didn't want people thinking it was his Big Return after needing to leave FF12

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i liked anarchy reigns more

yes i'm talking about the anarchy reigns campaign compared to the madworld campaign

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Metal Gear Rising is my favorite, and then Astral Chain.

I really didn't like Nier Automata, it was very overrated. Okay game, though.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Op you utter bastard i want to talk about vanquish

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
MadWorld has some great humour, music, and artstyle, but it is trash to play.

Metal Gear Rising IS the best, followed by Vanquish, followed by Bayonetta 1. Followed by TRANSFORMERS. That's right you shmucks, Saito is the new lord of the dance.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nier Automata actually but... nah, Madworld didn't do much for me. Even aside from the terrible controls the game was just... average tbh. Anarchy Reigns tier Platinum effort.

Great soundtrack though.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
This is the only Platinum game I haven't finished. I just couldn't deal with the checkpoint/life system. There's no checkpoint between the 'grind out a bunch of points' segment and the bossfight at the end of the level, so if you run out of lives on the boss you start the whole damn thing again. It happened to me once and I dropped the game forever; I have no room in my life for a game like that.

I would have happily played through the whole thing if there was just a checkpoint once you start the bossfight, but... whaddyagonnado? They did the same thing again in the godawful Platinum TMNT game, but at least that one was only three hours long and had an easy mode so I forced myself to see the end.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
This was their worst game, even Korra was better. I almost wrote Platinum off after Madworld but then Bayonetta happened.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Madworld was pretty fucking boring. I also didn't like Vanquish, which people rave about. Bayonetta is fantastic, though. I'm so hot and cold with Platinum.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with Vanquish, can't wait for the PS4 port...but it'd be great to see Madworld get a Switch port or something, I love the commentary by Greg Proops and John DiMaggio, it was gold.

I also like Anarchy Reigns too for what it was, shame SEGA doesn't port it to the PC at least so that maybe the online could last for more than 2 weeks.

synaesthesiaJP

Verified
Feb 20, 2018
MadWorld will never get rereleased without all of the commentary being re-recorded. It's so drastically out of touch with current norms that I'm actually kinda shocked people haven't tried to cancel everyone who worked on it.

The soundtrack was fun. During production, we went to visit Chris Wilkes (Ox) at Yokosuka Air Base to record some of the tracks in his home studio. I discovered him crate diving for records in Osaka, while a Japanese radio DJ coordinated a bunch of the other artists, and Naoto Tanaka made all the beats. Anyways, after the session, we packed into a car and headed to Shibuya for a gig he had. The gig didn't work out (audio issues) so we all headed to some bar up the hill. We go in, and it was 100% pirate themed. The staff were in costumes, the decor was pirate, the whole bit. About three drinks and 30 mins in, the dreaded out pirate dude challenges Chris to a rap battle. All of a sudden a DJ setup gets uncovered and straight battle rap starts. I proceeded to get very drunk but I think we all got back to the hotel at like 7am. It was literally the most MadWorld thing about MadWorld.

Another great story was Matsuno, Alex Smith, and I hanging out with Dilated Peoples and Cypress Hill at some club in Hollywood during Anarchy Reigns. But that one is for another time.

Apr 21, 2018
I did love Madworld, but the game is like 4 hours long. It's just incredibly, incredibly short for a single-player only game and severely lacking in variety. The scoring system wasn't enough for replay value.

It was great for what it was, but it didn't like double the content to be considered.

I would honestly say Wonderful 101 or Bayonetta 1/2 are Platinum's best, but I have not played Nier.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say this is their worst game excluding some of the licensed stuff. The style is cool on paper but in practice it's often an eyesore, especially in the low resolution of the Wii. Emulated it's a bit more palatable. But the gameplay is also not that fun.

I'd say the order of Platinum action games is:

Nier Automata
MGR
Astral Chain
TW101
Vanquish
Bayo2
Bayo1
Transformers
Korra
Anarchy Reigns
Madworld
TMNT
Scalebound (by default at rock bottom since it doesn't exist)
Star Fox Zero

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
of all the Platinum Games games out there, this is the one that needs a remake the most

81f0s-SitEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg