• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
Comic panels aside, Shang Chi always seemed like the Great Value version of Iron Fist just because one has superpowers and one doesn't. Like if you ask me who I wanna go with and we're fighting supervillains, I'm gonna go with the guy who can channel his chi into guns if he had to.
plus, Iron Fist has a far superior costume. It can be modernized or taken in a ton of different directions for the historical Iron Fists and it usually looks great. Shang Chi's modern red bodysuit is boring AF. His old shirtless look was way worse.

Why do you even want a Iron Fist reboot? The show sucked. People like me who didn't know he existed before the show don't care. The netflix shows ranged from ok to pretty good but I don't care if we never see those characters again.
The Matt Fraction and Kaare Andrews Iron Fist comics were great. That's why fans want to see the character in live action. It has nothing to do with the Netflix show.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
wow. I knew there was disappointment for not casting an Asian actor, but I didn't knew this extended to Lewis Tan specifically too. But even then in that article it highlights how some people defending casting a white man as the lead too.
People will always be saying that, but yeah, folks were mentioning specifically Lewis Tan for a while now.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Right but whether it is a trope or not does not make it more or less believable. Instead of a mighty whitey he is just a mighty westerner. I was simply replying to state that there is nothing inherently more believable about an Asian American coming from Overseas to become iron fist than there is anyone else coming from overseas to become iron fist.
What do you mean about it being believable or not? I think there is some effective storytelling behind someone who is an outsider but still looks like the natives, the story of someone truly reconnecting with their roots. You don't pull that off with the mighty whitey trope and if it is a mighty westerner, it's a westerner who has ancestral connection to this culture he's returning to.
People will always be saying that, but yeah, folks were mentioning specifically Lewis Tan for a while now.
That's good to know. I like the idea of Jessica Henwick as Colleen Wing being the de facto Iron Fist as well, but to be honest I think some people might not like that the same way Scott Lang was introduced as the de facto Ant Man in the MCU instead of Hank Pym

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Im cool if theres no irontfist honestly. Just dont really care about this character. But if they do get him, Id rather him be played by Ludi Lin (decent acting) or Andrew Koji (decent acting). Having a background in fighting isnt as important as just being athletic (which we see in Shang Chi. i remember when I not only called simu liu getting it but argued with people who said he'd suck because he didnt have a fighting background) which both of them are, but the most important thing is acting skills.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Im cool if theres no irontfist honestly. Just dont really care about this character. But if they do get him, Id rather him be played by Ludi Lin (decent acting) or Andrew Koji (decent acting). Having a background in fighting isnt as important as just being athletic (which we see in Shang Chi. i remember when I not only called simu liu getting it but argued with people who said he'd suck because he didnt have a fighting background) which both of them are, but the most important thing is acting skills.
Another actor to take on Danny Rand would be cool but I don't want us all to be thinking that Lewis Tan can't improve. Also, didn't Simu do all of his own stunts in Shang Chi?

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Hard disagree. There is an effective story that can be told with an Asian Danny Rand who may look like the rest of Kunlun but still feel and is treated like an outsider. That's the story of someone not only realizing their potential but reconnecting with their heritage.
Pretty sure that's exactly what they were saying in that post.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Lewis Tan has been at it for awhile. I dont think hes going to just magically improve overnight
Well the rehearsal for an Iron Fist reboot wouldn't take place over one night anyway. Plus if he's involved beyond just acting like if he's also a producer I think he'd feel more invested in his part for the role too.
Pretty sure that's exactly what they were saying in that post.
looking up the chain of responses it looks like they were saying that it doesn't matter if Danny Rand is Asian American, just that he's from the west/an outsider is what's effective. that's where I was disagreeing, it is more effective for him to be of the same ethnic group of the natives in Kun'Lun but still be treated and feel like an outsider

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well the rehearsal for an Iron Fist reboot wouldn't take place over one night anyway. Plus if he's involved beyond just acting like if he's also a producer I think he'd feel more invested in his part for the role too.

Are you Drax?

"overnight" is a figure of speech.....not used in the literal sense.... meaning, hes been "acting" for quite a while, he wont suddenly become a good actor with another show imo.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I would think that Iron Fist in the MCU is redundant considering in the Shang Chi film,

Ta Lo is basically Kun Lun.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Are you Drax?

"overnight" is a figure of speech.....not used in the literal sense.... meaning, hes been "acting" for quite a while, he wont suddenly become a good actor with another show imo.
my bad. for that moment, yes I was Drax lol

what I meant to say was that for this project, I think Lewis would have a lot of investment in it and it wouldn't just be another acting job for him. it's not like I know him personally or anything, but the interview he had with Vulture is what gripped me and made me want to make the thread with him in the title in the first place. but yeah, any Asian actor with the chops for it could do the role justice.
I would think that Iron Fist in the MCU is redundant considering in the Shang Chi film,

Ta Lo is basically Kun Lun.
do both places not coexist in the comics?

beat

Oct 28, 2017
Im cool if theres no irontfist honestly. Just dont really care about this character.
I mean, that's basically what the mainstream audience before 2008 thought about Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, Vision, Wanda, Black Panther, Bucky, Sam Wilson, Ant-Man, etc. You get them to care by telling a good story with a good character. Iron Fist has had some really good comics. There's a lot of potential in the character and his world.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's basically what the mainstream audience before 2008 thought about Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, Vision, Wanda, Black Panther, Bucky, Sam Wilson, Ant-Man, etc. You get them to care by telling a good story with a good character. Iron Fist has had some really good comics. There's a lot of potential in the character and his world.

But I cared about them before 2008. never cared about ironfist before or now

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
None of the changes/additions to Shang-Chi's world in the movie make Iron Fist redundant.The more Martial Arts characters in the MCU, the better. I want the whole Deadly Hands of Kung Fu crew to be introduced over the course of Shang-Chi's movies.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Changing Danny to an Asian American would be pretty easy, and not a lot would be lost when it comes to his origin and Kun Lun.

However, Danny not being white would very much change his dynamic with Luke, and that is hard for me to let go.
I don't really want Iron Fist, I want Heroes for Hire.

What ever happens happens, but I think it will be a minute before we see Iron Fist get a second chance.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I see no point in having Iron Fist. MCU Shang Chi is very similar to him.

The two places coexist in the comics, but Ta Lo is very different. For all matters and purposes, MCU Ta Lo is the same as Ku Lun.
Ta Lo is very different in the comics from Kunlun, yeah? So couldn't Kunlun just be reintroduced in the MCU and be made to look different from Ta Lo too? Kamar-Taj is another mystical land. There are two mystic lands in Asia within the MCU, I don't see why a third can't coexist too.
None of the changes/additions to Shang-Chi's world in the movie make Iron Fist redundant.The more Martial Arts characters in the MCU, the better. I want the whole Deadly Hands of Kung Fu crew to be introduced over the course of Shang-Chi's movies.
Agreed. It's good to see some positivity in the thread too. I don't if Shang Chi and Danny Rand have any history in the comics, but they can introduce Danny as a peer or at odds at first, like when Nat and Yelena see each other or the Avengers and Guardians see each other for the first time.
Changing Danny to an Asian American would be pretty easy, and not a lot would be lost when it comes to his origin and Kun Lun.

However, Danny not being white would very much change his dynamic with Luke, and that is hard for me to let go.

What ever happens happens, but I think it will be a minute before we see Iron Fist get a second chance.
I have thought about this too, but wouldn't there still be a race dynamic that could play out well with Luke and Danny if the latter was Asian? Both are minorities in America.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have thought about this too, but wouldn't there still be a race dynamic that could play out well with Luke and Danny if the latter was Asian? Both are minorities in America.

So?

"I want danny to be white just because of the white and black element"

as if the asian and black element can't be a thing. wtf

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
So?

"I want danny to be white just because of the white and black element"

as if the asian and black element can't be a thing. wtf
I guess you didn't notice or maybe it's just my wording, but my post was in agreement with yours. I am saying that a race dynamic can absolutely be pulled off with a Black and Asian Heroes for Hire. I was just asking Khezu what they thought about changing it

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'm 100% confident they're recasting Danny Rand if rumors of both Luke Cage and Danny Rand being recast are to be believed. This person is a good choice. Having a spoilt Asian American OR even having a mixed race would be good. Having mixed heritage would be a fantastic plot point to explore the themes of identity as well.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
I'm 100% confident they're recasting Danny Rand if rumors of both Luke Cage and Danny Rand being recast are to be believed. This person is a good choice. Having a spoilt Asian American OR even having a mixed race would be good. Having mixed heritage would be a fantastic plot point to explore the themes of identity as well.
I would cast another actor of Asian descent if they are going in that direction because Lewis Tan has been lackluster in the acting department.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the idea of making it seem like Asians are only getting martial artist roles.

I'm not against Asian Danny Rand but it shouldn't happen before say, Asian Cyclops or a more prominent role.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Lewis Tan himself is of mixed heritage, that's one of the reasons why he would be my pick. Why is Luke Cage getting recast though? Wasn't he Stan Lee's personal choice to play the role?
I would cast another actor of Asian descent if they are going in that direction because Lewis Tan has been lackluster in the acting department.
I've said this countless times in the thread already, but in short, I really thing Lewis Tan would up his game if he was cast in this role. He would own it. He's auditioned to be a Marvel superhero at least twice now.
I don't like the idea of making it seem like Asians are only getting martial artist roles.

I'm not against Asian Danny Rand but it shouldn't happen before say, Asian Cyclops or a more prominent role.
I am all for racebending where appropriate and I understand what you mean about Asians only getting martial artist roles, but since we have Shang Chi now I think it would work well if Iron Fist's reintroduction was tied directly to his.

By the way, did you mean Asians only getting starring roles? Because there are several other Asian actors in the MCU that aren't martial artists. Melinda May in AoS, Jimmy Woo in AntMan 2 & WandaVision, Wong who has been in several movies, Ned who was racebended in the MCU Spider-Man & Avengers movies, and if we bring in alien roles there's Mantis in Guardians and Sersi & in Eternals. Apparently Gemma Chan was already in an MCU movie before this too.