• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The flamethrower in Metro Exodus: Two Colonels is pretty good especially with Ray Tracing on.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Dead Rising 3

giphy.gif

You want to see a doctor about that.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Alien Isolation has the only good flamethrower because it's not a weapon, it's a deterrent against the xenomorph. It feels great because you're suddenly moving with a lot less caution.

Also the flame belch in Doom Eternal if that counts.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Best in RE2 remake from what I've played. And I think I used it most there too.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Worlds' flame thrower is one of the best weapons in the game, outright. Just change the damage type to corrosive. Still uses the same ammo type as every other energy weapon. And it still sets people on fire.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty cool in Alien Isolation if I remember right?

Really useful in Alien Isolation since you barely get any weapons to play with. Works well in almost every situation / level.

Games like Ratchet and Clank makes using a flame fun, but kind of pointless when you have like 10 other awesome weapons to blast enemies with.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
You're not wrong, OP. They're highly situational, tend to be heavy and/or take up a special weapon slot shared by much better weapons, and have a rare ammo type that they burn (heh) through way too fast. Plus their time to kill is usually pretty low and they're not a voluminous as they should be.

Basically the good ones are the one that are more flamethrower-themed more so than actually functioning like one. Metal Slug flamethrower is a good example, since it's just a lingering projectile weapon.

The Maestro

Feb 12, 2018
Just finished RE 7 today actually. When I first got the flamethrower in the old house, I thought it was awesome! Upon further use it was clearly underpowered and very short ranged. Stopped using it shortly after the greenhouse sequence.

Yeah, I think Return to Castle Wolfenstein had the best. Also Killzone 2's was pretty effective/satisfying.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Flamethrower in W@W was so fun to use. I can't remember if it get nerfed but it instantly melted. Pun intended

Oct 26, 2017
Flamethrower ain't bad. It's got 95 base power and 100 accuracy so at least it doesn't miss. Also if you give it to a dragon you have decent type coverage. Depending on your team of course.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Metal Slug, Shock Troopers

The later even has. a second weapon called Buster which fires fireballs that incinerate everything in their path. It is like a flamey railgun

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I feel the same way. The one in TLoU2 was OK, though.
What always bothers me is the fact that I never know how the damage actually works.
Like... does continuously firing on an enemy do a continuous and linear amount of damage?
How much damage do enemies take when they catch on fire? Does the burning DoT deal as much damage as just holding down the flamethrower on the enemy?
Does the burning DoT damage and the fire damage stack or am I wasting ammo by firing on the enemy while they are already burning? Do I just do a quick spray and let the DoT do most of the work?

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Flamethrowers in games are always bad.
  • They have abstract units of ammo, making it hard to know how much you have at any time.
  • You never know how much you need to destroy an enemy.
  • When you do it's never all that satifsying.
  • Having a small unit of ammo for flamethrowers (like "3") makes it useless.
  • Hard to aim, short range, enemies can still get in attacks while being shot with fire most of the time.
I will concede that some flamethrowers in twin stick shooters can be great, and Contra has a pretty good one. That's about it.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
The Flamethrower in Farcry 5 really sucks, mostly because every enemy that's set on fire very predicably decides to sprint towards you until they die

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Return to Castle Wolfenstein flame thrower was amazing!
New_flamethrower.mp4.jpg
It's also really easy to conserve ammo with it. You can ignite enemies simply by hitting them twice with it, so I'd generally just tap fire twice, using only 1 ammo with each tap. You can obviously hold the button down to drain their health more quickly, but the aforementioned method will kill enemy soldiers in the single-player campaign without issue.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Red Orchestra 2 Flame thrower is the shit. It's genuinely terrifying and if there's one coming at your team people will ALL call it out, because you get hit by one part of the flame and your ass is dead.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I cannot remember for the life of me a flamethrower in TLOU haha

Also yeah, the Killzone 2 one, not bad not bad.

I think itll be easier if you mention the games that have bad flamethrowers.

Because, every flamethrower I remember has been frikken awesome.

Gears of War.
TLOU.
Wolfenstein way back when.
Battlefield.
Killzone.
Alien Isolation.
FarCry.

In BF seeing this was so intimidating.....but when you had one. Now you gonna get it motherfuckers!
battlefield-break2-copy-1476819747212.jpg

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Killzone 2 says hi:

Edit: seems it's already been talked about, but the video serves as important reference precisely because it counters what was mentioned as bad practices in having a flamethrower in a game.

Man this looks much worse than I remember, like a little stream coming out, terrible.

Cod WW2 has a good one in single player, dunno about the multiplayer as I never played it