• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I usually get bored of BR games pretty quick. The one that held my interest the most was Apex Legends. But with Fall Guys i am like can't stop playing and thinking about it. Like how could i time my runs better to get through those damn fans, and such. Plus it isn't focused on violence par se, just silly little races, something that is pretty universal to young and old.

Last edited:

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Its the only battle royale game I've won in, and that I have more control over than anything else imo. Warzone, Fortnite, PUBG never felt like I can control my own winning. If I landed in an area that didn't offer anything useful for me, then I luck out. With Fall Guys I just need to rely on people sucking more than me haha.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It does feel like one of the first huge BR games to prove that it isn't a purely combat-focused genre. Forza Horizon 4 also added in a Battle Royale mode last year that I think is pretty excellent - but Fall Guys shows the concept can go so far past what it was immediately pigeonholed as.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Title: 'THE NEXT EVOLUTION OF BR?!'

How is it the evolution of the battle royale genre?

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
That right there is a 2,000 lbs, multi-tentical, harry monster of a take.

I do like Fall Guys. I do like SMB3. And I really hate to say this, but it has yet to prove if it's a fad, so it'll need a bit more time before I feel comfortable comparing it to classic.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed on first part of your title, hard disagree to second part.

The controls are so bad and clunky that this won't really move the genre forward in terms of platforming, but it will certainly impact BR game development showing non-shooters can work.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's really fun, and season 2 looks good. I think they could iterate on it to greatness sure, but I also wish there was a bit more depth to the controls, or consistency to the grabs. If they went maybe halfway towards Gangbeasts with it I feel like it would be great.

It just gets a bit repetitive as is. Again something that can definitely be iterated on and solved through the seasons. I think it's a far cry from anything like SMB3.

Oct 27, 2017
Alameda, CA
You're not wrong - Fall Guys does show that a massive multiplayer competitive game can be used for more than just shooty bang-bang stuff. A simple yet elegant combo of PvE and PvP that has just enough skill vs luck that you feel like you can do better on any particular course.

Plus it's just fun as hell to laugh with your friends over party chat over some of the absurd stuff that happens in the chaos.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Its the only battle royale game I've won in, and that I have more control over than anything else imo. Warzone, Fortnite, PUBG never felt like I can control my own winning. If I landed in an area that didn't offer anything useful for me, then I luck out. With Fall Guys I just need to rely on people sucking more than me haha.
Those team levels though....

May 19, 2020
I wouldn't say it's anywhere near as important as SMB3 but it is certainly the next big thing for battle royale. Of course Apex was super popular at first too before totally falling off a cliff.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
It is and I really really hope that Nintendo comes out with their own evolution.

I've said it a bunch of times but I'll say it again. I want a HIDE N SEEK battle Royale from Nintendo.

If Nintendo put their own spin on multi shooter with Splatoon they can do the same with BR.

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
Are we really forgetting Tetris 99 so quickly??
Edit: oh I see this has been brought up already, good.

Chadtwo

Oct 29, 2017
Yep I think there's a good deal of truth in this, honestly wouldn't even call it a hot take. I expect to see a wide expansion in the kinds of BRs we see following fall guys.

In terms of the *quality* of the game I wouldn't put it near SMB3 but I'm not sure that's what OP meant by the comparison

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It is and I really really hope that Nintendo comes out with their own evolution.

I've said it a bunch of times but I'll say it again. I want a HIDE N SEEK battle Royale from Nintendo.

If Nintendo put their own spin on multi shooter with Splatoon they can do the same with BR.
They could adapt Mario Party and take over

Oct 24, 2019
To each their own and glad you're enjoying it!

For me though, I got bored after 5-10 rounds of it because the gameplay is so shallow and I seem to get the same challenges 80% of the time. Like I feel like every one of my matches consists of that map with the spinning discs, then the tile matching one, then hex-a-gone one, etc.

I've only gotten to play the soccer game once, which was the most fun one to me.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
This is 1vs. 100 erasure. The true precursor of a BR that doesn't focus on violence, has universal appeal, and is obsessively fun.
tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Alameda, CA
With the popularity of Fall Guys, it's a given that another developer will try to compete with this formula at some point. I'm really curious what a Fall Guys type game would look like with a lot of the randomness removed with a bigger focus on platforming - like Fall Guys but with Mario 64/Odyssey style platforming, basically adding a higher skill ceiling to the platforming aspects.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Totally. The focus on multiple rounds with different gameplay mechanics is a fundamental and essential change to the genre's typical 1 round format which greatly reduces the barrier to entry and makes it so much easier to stick around and play one more round, because you just got destroyed in eggs or have a new strategy you want to try in slime climb.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed on first part of your title, hard disagree to second part.

The controls are so bad and clunky that this won't really move the genre forward in terms of platforming, but it will certainly impact BR game development showing non-shooters can work.
I think the controls are like they are as a design choice that lower the skill level to make things even? I don't know though. Completely agree with the bolded part

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
It's just some Roblox levels with better physics. I love it.
Absolutely this. It's fun, but if you've spent any decent time on Roblox (I've got a young child who loves it) then you've probably experienced most of what Fall Guys levels have to offer already. Thats not a criticism, it's highly polished and some of the games on Roblox are an absolute blast to play but first thing I thought when I played it was "I've just played a similar game on Roblox..."

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I can't really stand any other BR game but I love Fall Guys. Really excited to see them add more levels because it could def use more variety. I want more wacky, non-combat BR games.

BR shooters do absolutely nothing for me and shooters are my favorite genre. Most of my matches are either me going into a high-populated area and dying immediately or seeing no one for like 15 minutes then randomly getting sniped in a field. Hard pass.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I could see Nintendo doing the Mario formula on it and succeeding. I feel the current design of Fall Guys is really narrow in terms of what could be done. If they capitalize on it, great, otherwise others will take over. I'm ready to see the clones.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Title: 'THE NEXT EVOLUTION OF BR?!'

How is it the evolution of the battle royale genre?

I have been so guilty of making these same posts haha

But man, when you're really digging a game and you're thinking about it even when you aren't playing, you just gotta let it out on a forum.
Sometimes, just enjoying yourself immensely can feel subjectively revolutionary.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
It's certainly a great spin on a genre that I usually completely ignore. I haven't played Fall Guys, but it's the only BR I'd ever even consider playing.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How exactly is Fall Guys a Battle Royale game? King of the Hill? Sure. It literally is within that genre. But I don't see many connections to call it a BR game tho.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I love it. The only thing that really drives me crazy is the random falls. Nobody is near you and you jump from a platform to a new one and your characters knees break. I get it, the game is called Fall Guys. Just hate the random falls.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I loved it but it got old pretty quick for me. I know it's the same thing over and over just like every other BR but I don't get the feeling that my skill is going to get me a win it depends on a ton of luck. I do love this direction though and it needs to continue

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Fall Guys could blow even more up if there is some collaborations involved.

Think Sony x Fall Guys
Nintendo x Fall Guys
MS x Fall Guys
Fortnite x Fall Guys

This type of game can have very long legs. The devs have a gold mine with this game. Im sure its bound to be copied down the line like Fornite has been. It will have an impact going forward i believe.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for someone to make a Pokemon BR where you drop in, have to loot for Pokeballs, catch Pokemon and try to defeat 99 other trainers

Nintendo call me

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Epic will surely jump in with their branding power and fancy skins. Just a matter of time, they're the masters of cloning shit quickly.

Chadtwo

Oct 29, 2017
With the popularity of Fall Guys, it's a given that another developer will try to compete with this formula at some point. I'm really curious what a Fall Guys type game would look like with a lot of the randomness removed with a bigger focus on platforming - like Fall Guys but with Mario 64/Odyssey style platforming, basically adding a higher skill ceiling to the platforming aspects.

As someone who's bad to average at shooters but very much into precision platforming this sounds amazing, like a BR could actually be good at