• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Used to go to Hot Pot pretty often before having kids, and then went to one that was so fucking salty that I had a headache for like 48 hours and haven't been since.

Oct 27, 2017
So much work, for not much satisfaction, imo.

It's a fun communal dinner. But I feel like I always overeat (since you have to cook the food in waves), and never get that nice 'full' feeling, without feeling bloated.

Then again, I'm a notoriously fast eater, so pacing my meals by other people always ends in a lackluster time for me.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I have hotpot like every week. It's my goto meal for when I don't feel like cooking.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
As a chinese person, its not my favorite thing to eat. Lots better choices out there but its quick, tasty, and easy.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Every time I share food there is always that one guy that eats 80% of it before the rest can catch up.

Hell, I had a friend do this to me on Saturday. It wasn't even his pizza!

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Gotten huge in NYC a while back but hammered during the pandemic. I actually think it's a bit of a hassle but it really is enjoyable once everything is set up.

It's one of those types of food where almost all of the major players are really good. I miss me some Thai hot pot :(

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Did it once right before the pandemic. Would love to do it again someday.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my wife puts it together every few weeks. It's surprisingly easy to make with an electric burner/skillet, and meat slicers aren't that expensive either. The slicer helps you take almost any cut of beef for cooking in a hot pot.

The actual soup base is usually just veggies for us, some miso, garlic, etc.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
One of the things I miss, being in lockdown. Used to do hot pot at least once a month. I live in an area with loads of great all you can eat hot pot restaurants.

I've done it at home a few times since lockdown began but it's just not the same.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Haven't gone out for Hot Pot in quite some time, even pre-COVID, but my finance and I have made some Hot Pot a few times at home in the last 10 months to at least kind of replicate the feeling of that "event dining" that you generally don't do at home because it's not worth the hassle for two people. Well, we bought a good sized pot and a hot plate and honestly, it's a fun weekend thing to do. Just sit there at the kitchen table and cook/eat for an hour or two.

Here was our Xmas Eve/my birthday Hot Pot:

IiMWs3W.jpg

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
not really into communal experiences in food if i'm being honest

Some give you your own pot in 3 different forms, so it can be eaten alone.

-food comes around a conveyor belt, so it's like bar-style seating like a sushi boat

-single pot, and you order the ingredients on the side as normal

-single pot, and the whole thing is pre-made

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't say no if people wanted to go, but not a huge fan. Boiling stuff in a fairly light broth isn't exactly peak flavor development. But I am a big fan of communal eating and the experience of a nice, drawn out social meal.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
It's great, big fan of the sichuan style with the divided spicy and mild broths.

All I need are the various fish cakes, napa cabbage, lotus roots and tofu skins.

Nov 5, 2017
I went once for a co-workers birthday. It was an interesting experience.

Would I do it again? Probably not. I'd rather the food cooked for me. That's why I went to a restaurant in the first place.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Used to do weekly or biweekly with a previous partner and some friends, at home. Miss it! Super fun winter activity.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
My first experience with Hot Pot was not good since no one listened to what I wanted. It kind of turned me off it for a while. To this day I like it but won't go out to seek it.

Oct 27, 2017
There's a Japanese Hot Pot place a block away from me and my partner and I would go there twice a month usually. To the point where the people knew us pretty well. Haven't been able to go since... ya know.

Formless61

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of a lazy/low effort/leftovers meal. It's good but I think gotten overblown because people didn't grow up with it.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
It was last February when I discovered hot pot. I had it twice in one week, and then the entire fucking world shut down and I've been without since.

Jokes aside, I love it. Its literally the first thing I want to do with my friends when it's safe to do so. A place in portsmouth called Pink Bamboo that is so good and I really like them.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
hot pot is a staple in larger family dinners in my family. We tend to do hot pot for Thanksgiving and Xmas. Pre covid, my friends and I would go to a AYCE KBBQ/Hotpot place and just pig out once every month or so too.

There's a bit of prep work you'll need to do if you are doing seafood and veggies but nothing in comparison to cooking for a large group

From the last time we went. Everyone get's their own soup broth and we ordered whatever/however much we want off the menu

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't had as many opportunities for communal family style meals but Hot Pot always looked delicious to me.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
I love hotpot, so many different varieties too. We have it at home pretty much at least once a month

dots

Oct 27, 2017
Seems expensive considering I have to do the cooking.

I mean it's fine, but nothing I'd do on the regular.

Erik Zarkov

Dec 4, 2017
Just had hot pot two nights ago. I enjoy it quite a bit. Pick out what I want to eat, chef cooks it up and no worries about not liking what I'm going to get. Add in hitting up the sauce bar to make your own dipping creation.

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017
When we want to celebrate we cook up hot pot at home. Since a nearby grocery store sells sliced meat and hot pot balls (made out of fish, pork, or mystery protein) it's quite easy.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
There was this Asian noodle-hotpot fusion place that was the bomb. I dislike traditional hot pot places though (such as KBBQ), I guess I'm just not a huge fan of cooking the meats and chewing into fatty bits.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
My wife and I did hot pot 4 or 5 times over the course of the harsh (hah) SoCal winter. Very easy and fun. I miss being able to go to Little Sheep or Hai Di Lao, though. Grab some meat from a local market, chop up some tofu and cabbage/mushrooms, and then prep some sauce + glass noodles. Easy and delicious!

HhQS3Xo-xBF0vHlwar20_DRXDBa9QMAOmwv-rHd8nfpNUUpke_Nx5Nmv2MsvgF8W_DND1Sae7N95ztJnMNSR1sXs79UfIEI0SWSz.png