• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Worlds End is my top pick, but Hot Fuzz is so close behind it's almost a tie, but it's not. It's something about Gary King, and his group of friends that just gets to me

OP
OP
PS9

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The montage of his phone losing all reception as he gets further from the city.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I won't argue that it wasn't a no-holds-barred adrenaline-fuelled thrill-ride, but there's no way that you could perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I recently watched a Shaun of the Dead again and that kinda falls off during the final act, hell, maybe after the first 30 minutes or so.

I considered that my favorite but now... I dunno.

maybe I'll rewatch hot fuzz and at world's end (considered it underrated at the time) soon.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
You're obviously not going to get many arguing against that. A fairly uncontroversial opinion.

For me, however, it's The World's End. Blends comedy and drama together better than its predecessors. Manages to effortlessly capture the feeling of high school memories while also making you feel grimy for reminiscing about high school, ie, it brilliantly observes how destructive nostalgia can be through the eyes of one of the more insecure and stubborn characters in cinema. It does so through this exceptionally well tilted script, it's paced perfectly, the setups and payoffs might be the best in the whole trilogy, the set pieces are fantastic, Simon Pegg turns in maybe a career best performance. The scene when they reach The World's End never ceases to make me cry. Everything after that's a bit downhill, but otherwise it's just great.

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, i think overall my heart is with hot fuzz, but i like worlds end more and more every time i watch it, which is impressive, because i've seen it a lot

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Shaun of the Dead gets old fast, and World's End feels less like a part of the trilogy but a 3rd movie similar to the other two.

Hot Fuzz is solid, always.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I recently watched a Shaun of the Dead again and that kinda falls off during the final act, hell, maybe after the first 30 minutes or so.

maybe I'll rewatch hit fuzz and at world's end (considered it underrated at the time) soon.
So I used to think Shaun was the best one when I was younger, and only saw Hot Fuzz one time and thought it was "fine". Then as I got older I, I ended up watching Hot Fuzz again, and 180d on it, and now i think I've seen it like a dozen times and it gets better every time. And I agree, Shaun really falls off at the end there

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
You're obviously not going to get many arguing against that. A fairly uncontroversial opinion.

For me, however, it's The World's End. Blends comedy and drama together better than its predecessors. Manages to effortlessly capture the feeling of high school memories while also making you feel grimy for reminiscing about high school, ie, it brilliantly observes how destructive nostalgia can be through the eyes of one of the more insecure and stubborn characters in cinema. It does so through this exceptionally well tilted script, it's paced perfectly, the setups and payoffs might be the best in the whole trilogy, the set pieces are fantastic, Simon Pegg turns in maybe a career best performance. It's just great.

yeah, this felt underrated by non critics at the time, I was invested in a different way, and simon pegg killed it.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Just like I wouldn't pick a favourite child as a parent, I wouldn't pick a favourite from the Cornetto Trilogy. They're all wonderfully sublime at doing very different things.

World's End is far too maligned in my opinion, and better than the others in some key ways.

For me, however, it's The World's End. Blends comedy and drama together better than its predecessors. Manages to effortlessly capture the feeling of high school memories while also making you feel grimy for reminiscing about high school, ie, it brilliantly observes how destructive nostalgia can be through the eyes of one of the more insecure and stubborn characters in cinema. It does so through this exceptionally well tilted script, it's paced perfectly, the setups and payoffs might be the best in the whole trilogy, the set pieces are fantastic, Simon Pegg turns in maybe a career best performance. The scene when they reach The World's End never ceases to make me cry. Everything after that's a bit downhill, but otherwise it's just great.
Well put. Also hits harder when you know Pegg based his character off his own experiences with alcoholism.
tumblr_mvxtpfHh3J1rlx538o1_250.gif

Always makes me tear up.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

I think this pair of videos covers it, there's so much referential stuff, it's a beautiful film.

Gary King's story in World's End is great though, and Paddy Considine is always worth watching. I love all three films.

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017
I used to disagree and put Shaun Of The Dead on top, but Hot Fuzz has aged much better. And Timothy Dalton is among the Top 3 Movie Villains ever.

Edit: GODDAMMIT, Unsent

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
It was great until it required me to accept 'action movie homage' instead of 'action movie' in my movie.