• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm headed to a hot dog factory tomorrow to pick up some quality dogs and buns, and I'm planning to make some top notch dogs, and I'd like to see what everyone does for their perfect hot dog. Here's what I'm planning for mine:

The Dogs: I'll be acquiring some 1/4 pound, 7" all beef hot dogs, the same type that street vendors use for their dogs. They're huge, thick and taste friggin' amazing.

The Buns: I'll be acquiring those amazing yellow hot dog buns that street vendors use. They're the tastiest hot dog buns I've ever had, are very sturdy for these large dogs and I have yet to have a bun I love more.

The Preparation: There's nothing too special in my preparation style. I'll stick the dogs in the toaster oven until they're about 80% cooked, then I take them out and cut a crosshatch pattern on top and stick 'em back in at a slightly higher temp so they'll blossom out a bit and the edges of all those crosshatch cuts will just slightly get a bit burned.

The buns, I'll open them up and lay them on a frying pan to toast them a bit. Once that's done I'll lightly butter the insides of the bun. Once the dogs and buns are done I'll then put the dog in the bun and will stick the whole thing back in the toaster oven for a short while to give the overall outer part of the bun a very, very lightly toasted feel.

The Toppings: I'm still working on my topping selection for this latest round of hot dogs, but here's what I'm looking at. For the liquid condiments I'll be going with standard yellow mustard and ketchup, nothing fancy here. For the veggies I have historically diced up a white onion, but I'm honestly too lazy to do that so I've acquired a jar of sweetened pickled onions (basically itty bitty white onions) and they taste AMAZING! I'll cut those up a bit and sprinkle them throughout the dog. The only other topping I'll be adding is relish, but I'm having a hard time deciding which relish to go with. Historically I've gone with a sweet relish, but the onions are already sweet and I don't think I want sweet on top of sweet so I'm gonna have to shop around for a different relish.

So that's basically my perfect hot dog, and I'll be hopefully getting a chance to make it either tomorrow or the day after. What do y'all do? :)

EDIT.

Updating OP with my own pics. Used the methods laid out above but put Miracle Whip on the inside of the buns instead of butter. Found a lovely tangy relish to use as well

20190515-150318.jpg

20190515-150403.jpg

20190515-150527.jpg

Last edited:

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago-style: Mustard, white onions, relish, pickle, tomato, sport peppers and celery salt

Our deep dish pizza sucks, but the hot dogs are legit.

shutterstock_150836243.jpg

Last edited:

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Natural casing hotdogs that kind of have a pop when you bite into them are essential. For toppings, chili, mustard and onions.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm really in the mood: Sauerkraut, onions, chili. Maybe a little hot sauce on top, too.

If I'm lazy: Onions, mustard.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I like your cross cuts op. I'm going to do the same next time I make a dog

JJDubz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
mustard and kraut/relish. can add onions to that, too.

Or go big with a chili cheese dog.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Ketchup. I generally cook my hot dogs, though; seasonings and all of that shit like any other cut of meat. So after all that, ketchup or maybe BBQ sauce is all I really need to add. Maybe I'll wrap it in bacon or use sauteed and grilled onions if i feel like it.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I like your cross cuts op. I'm going to do the same next time I make a dog
Yeah, I've always loved that technique. It's also great because it allows for the liquid condiments to seep into the dog itself.

The only other important thing that I've been guilty of not doing in the past is all the toppings have to be room temperature before putting them on. I've grown to hate the idea of having this lovely toasted bun, this perfectly cooked hot dog, and then slathering them in cold toppings straight from the fridge. I've got to remember to take my toppings out before I begin cooking to ensure everything's good :)

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
I like eating a all hot dogs plain. For beef dogs, I like splitting them across the middle and frying them flat in a pan until it browns and becomes crispy.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
We don't really have much of a hot dog culture where I live. When I make them for myself, it's tomato sauce, mustard and mozarella.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
About the same as you, op, but I don't crosscut because then you lose the *snap* when you bite into a good sausage/dog.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, I've been thinking about some additional toppings, but haven't put much effort into them yet. I've been thinking about adding a cheese, but I don't know which cheese and where in the preparation stage would be the best to add it. Maybe a grated cheese and after I've done the crosshatch and the dogs blossom out I could sprinkle the cheese in the open cuts to melt. The other option is bacon. I could make a couple strips of bacon to either put whole into the dog, or crumble up. If I do the bacon in the frying pan I could toast the buns in some of the bacon greese to soak up some of that flavor. Dunno if I'll try these toppings, but I've at least thought about 'em

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My man. Also a huge fan of tomato sauce with a little seasoning and molasses. It's probably the most pure and gourmet way to enjoy such a refined and distinctive food.

BTW, Chicago, here in Seattle we literally put cream cheese and jalapeños on as a regular topping.

And it makes "just mustard" look like a diaper baby and we don't all simply repeat what the teamster with the biggest mustache said.

Seattle dog - grilled onions and cream cheese

Super my man

Last edited:

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Mustard (Deli but regular is fine), Relish, onions.
and on the 2nd:
Spiral cut hotdog, chili, cheese, onions
and on the 3rd:
Spiral cut, Worcestershire sauce, mayo.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BTW hot dog buns were originally a solution to just burning your hands eating a naked weiner. I admit I just wanted to type that but it's also allegedly true..

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
BTW hot dog buns were originally a solution to just burning your hands eating a naked weiner. I admit I just wanted to type that but it's also allegedly true..

lol, now I'm picturing impatient people suffering first degree burns because they can't wait to stuff a dog in their mouth :D

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Hotdog: Natural casing, beef/pork. Boar's Head makes the best nationwide dawg. Of course local places make better (helps if you're near Connecticut).

Bun: Top opening New England style. If you can't find a potato or Hawaiian style works great.

Toppings: NO KETCHUP. The rest is up to you. I recently did rippers (deep fried hot dogs rubbed in a little corn starch) at a party with Asian toppings. Main sauce was Japanese mayo, fine diced kimchee, soy sauce, sriracha, and a lil hoisin and sesame oil. Topped with pickled spicy eggplant. They were a hit.

Or just use nice mustard...

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Mustard and pickle relish, only hillbillies put ketchup on hotdogs. Chilli and cheese is ok as well.

Well just call me Hillbilly Jim cuz I loves me some ketchup on my dog ;)

To everyone who loves onions (especially white onions) on their hot dogs, I HIGHLY suggest looking into this product:

6000197531016.jpg

This shit is so friggin' good. Before typing this post I just opened the jar and ate a few straight. It's like a pickle and a white onion had a baby. I can't overstate how much better this is than just raw white onion. Thinking about them makes me recall this scene:

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
The Best Wurst here in Austin has the right idea, I feel. Caramelized onions and curry ketchup on a bratwurst.

I like mustard, but curry powdered ketchup is really good.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Sausage, tomato sauce or bolognese (low on beef though, you are in for the sauce primarily), mustard, mashed potatoes or shoestring potatoes. I once ate a hot dog with boiled quail eggs and it was amazing. Also peas and corn to add different textures.