• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I love Alison so I was excited to see she was in this. I thought this was going to be some Lifetime movie but it seems to be something more dark. Jeff Baena and Alison worked on the screenplay together and it debuts at Sundance on January 27th.

Put me out to pasture if old

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
haha yeah, i did not know anything about this going in but the title of the movie made me think it was going to be something completely different. down to watch this.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to tell if this is fantasy/science-fiction, or just a troubling look at mental illness.

Or maybe she just turns into a horse whenever there is a full moon.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
She was awesome in the first season of GLOW (haven't gotten through the other seasons) so I'll probably watch this.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
looks like it hits the Sundance Film Festival on the 27th, so there should be some impressions around then

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I always figured casting was up to the show runners but I wonder if Netflix tends to like to work with the same actors. Maybe it's just a coincidence but you have have Alison from GLOW, Paul Riser from Stranger Things and Debby Ryan from Insatiable.

Anyway, the movie looks really interesting, will watch.

OP
OP
Officer Big Mac
Oct 28, 2017
I always figured casting was up to the show runners but I wonder if Netflix tends to like to work with the same actors. Maybe it's just a coincidence but you have have Alison from GLOW, Paul Riser from Stranger Things and Debby Ryan from Insatiable.

Netflix is the distributor so Alison/Jeff probably just approached them when they were looking for a platform. I dont think Netflix had any involvement beyond hosting it.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
That trailer starts as one thing, which didn't seem that interesting, and ends up something far different and how it gets there really intrigues me.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017

I don't believe Netflix had anything to do with producing this. They have a distribution deal for a series of movies from the Duplass Brothers.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
the-x-files-i-want-to-believe-i30592.jpg

Watching now

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Great actress. Not into paranormal stuff but might give it a watch if it's mostly about losing her mind.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
she full blown cray cray isnt she?

edit: finished it. Weird romp and Alison is great in it, I liked it.

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

netflix productions do usually have recurring actors. my guess is some talent/their agents are down with hit or miss nature of streaming, not particularly reliant for that "career safe" next role. i guess netflix's pitch is if this movie or show flops here's like five roles more for you

OP
OP
Officer Big Mac
Oct 28, 2017
That was really weird but I enjoyed it. I appreciate the filmmaker allowing the audience to fill in the gaps. Brie is fantastic as usual. The score was 100% perfect for this movie as well. It was mysterious and funky.

Brie was what made this film work. Without her it would have been such a pain to watch, but you get sucked into Sarah's life thanks to Brie. She has shown that she has a full range of acting ability and I hope she finds greater success.

Solid 8/10

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That was great. Everything tied together nicely. My only questions...
The girl in the apartment who was asking Sarah where she went, was the Sub Pop girl right?? When was this scene suppose to be?
What happened with the horse? She takes the horse and you see it past the window, so that's clearly the beginning of the movie, but later on the horse was still at the stables.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
netflix productions do usually have recurring actors. my guess is some talent/their agents are down with hit or miss nature of streaming, not particularly reliant for that "career safe" next role. i guess netflix's pitch is if this movie or show flops here's like five roles more for you
netflix keeps actors chained in the studio backlot basement and lets them out for air to shoot movies. right now they've got alison brie, john malkovich, and the stranger things kids trapped in there. we have to free them

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I also thought this would be something different from the title unless I missed a centaur cameo at some point.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Didn't quite nail the landing for me overall, but I'm glad I watched it. Alison Brie was really really good, and it has a lot of good ideas but I thought it kind of stumbled towards the end. Definitely recommended for Brie's performance alone.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Brie definitely elevated the material. It was decent overall but I thought she was great.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I do kind of wish I didn't watch this. It wasn't a bad film, I mean the ending wasn't great, but I just find this subject really triggering. I mean I knew what I was getting myself into, but it just hit harder than I expected. I should have shut it off at the midpoint.
Brie definitely elevated the material. It was decent overall but I thought she was great.
She was definitely great.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
If they had nailed the ending it would have been really good. Now all in all it was just "interesting" to me.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
my problem with the ending is that
I wish they left it ambiguous, is she crazy or is time-paradox-alternate-dimension-alien-fuckery real but the scene with her and the horse passing by the store to connect to earlier in the movie kills any ambiguity

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I do kind of wish I didn't watch this. It wasn't a bad film, I mean the ending wasn't great, but I just find this subject really triggering. I mean I knew what I was getting myself into, but it just hit harder than I expected. I should have shut it off at the midpoint.

It can be taken in various ways and one of them is stark if you take that she is a person suffering from mental illness.

Why does it need to be great it fits the movie and isn't an easy way out half assed ending.

OP
OP
Officer Big Mac
Oct 28, 2017
I like to believe
she is a Celtic druid. She has an affinity for the name Darren which was a symbol for irish people and derives from a word meaning "little oak". Druids were said to live a certain number of years before being reborn into another body.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Why does it need to be great it fits the movie and isn't an easy way out half assed ending.
Well, I thought it was. I thought it robbed the movie of any real weight, urgency, or even meaning. I don't think what they went with really works. I felt that way about a lot of the final night sequence too. It really went downhill for me at that point. I still overall enjoyed the movie, but it did feel like it didn't want to really engage or conclude with the themes it was trying to present. It sort of wanted to have its cake and eat it too.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I thought it was. I thought it robbed the movie of any real weight, urgency, or even meaning. I don't think what they went with really works. I felt that way about a lot of the final night sequence too. It really went downhill for me at that point. I still overall enjoyed the movie, but it did feel like it didn't want to really engage or conclude with the themes it was trying to present. It sort of wanted to have its cake and eat it too.

I don't think someone losing their shit is robbing the movie of any real weight

Min

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. I thought after the baker acting it was going to take a more empathetic and grounded turn into helping her, but they continued to just use mental illness as a prop to make the audience question reality and that really irks me in media. It just feels exploitative.

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
After a day of thinking about the film:
I think Sarah is really the black haired girl from the white space. The family photos and the flashback of the horse riding accident shows a girl that doesn't look like the grandmother. Also the black haired girl looks more the same age as the girl that fell off the horse. Alien abductions and time travel only makes sense for the viewer because the story is told by Sarah.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Brie was excellent in this and i enjoyed it for the most part but it couldve been edited better to make it a bit clearer

For Netflix its in the better section for sure

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I came here expecting this thread to be an spin-off of Bojack Horseman starring Sarah Lynn