• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Peek-a-boo!

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Trump-Home-Alone-2.png

RedDevil82

Oct 25, 2017
Zodiac had many moments including the highway scene and the basement one.

Whenever Cobra decides to become a slasher film

I recently heard a podcast that highlighted this movie and had no idea it was initially rated NC-17 because of a lot of graphic and gory scenes that were later cut out. That makes me think it was supposed to be a horror film rather than the action/cop movie that it became.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
iu

iu

who-framed-roger-rabbit-1988.gif

iu

6e9ace9c6eccd0f9bfe51c282e44d1e5_w200.gif

The plot twist responsible for scarring countless children (if the cartoon shoe melting scene hadn't already). Christopher Lloyd's performance strikes that perfect balance where he's wacky and over-the-top like you'd expect from a cartoon, but instead of being funny, it's unsettling and even kinda intimidating. I think it's because only the eyes and hands are visibly "toony" so it lands well into Uncanny Valley territory: genius move to only show those parts of his true form. The fact it's such a 180 from how he acts throughout the rest of the film only makes this moment creepier.
yep yep yep so many childhood nightmares

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
When I was a kid, I distinctly remember a copy of Spider-Man playing in a Circuit City being the first time where a jump scare was pleasant. Prior to that, I absolutely hated them, but ever since that moment I've just thought of them as lazy rather than scary. Either way, that was a pretty good one, because I jumped pretty hard. Thinking "it's just Spider-Man" is what tricked me...

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
80's kids PTSD the thread

See also Meg Mucklebone in Legend
G'mork and The Nothing from The Neverending Story
Nazi Face Melting in Raiders of the Lost Ark
Emil's death by toxic waste in RoboCop (hell, Murphy's death in RoboCop)

Pretty much my votes.

The Gmork had an everlasting effect on me. I used to be scared to go downstairs to the kitchen at night in case that brute was down there waiting in the dark with those vivid green eyes.

It was so bad I was watching a video my dad got out the store and the trailer for the Neverending story 2 came on, I got up and left the room.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Oh, and it came up a few times in it's own thread, but HBO's Chernobyl had scenes that would fit right into a horror, made all the more terrible since they're based on actual events.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020

Nothing beats the draining of the podling.

From the man who brought you Kermit the Frog and Big Bird.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Corlaline is pretty much a horror movie for kids.

neil-gaiman.tumblr.com

Neil Gaiman

It was my literary agent, Merrilee Heifetz who read it and said "you can't seriously expect this to be published as a children's book." So I suggested she read it to her daughters. And she called me...

Neil Gaiman said:
It was my literary agent, Merrilee Heifetz who read it and said "you can't seriously expect this to be published as a children's book." So I suggested she read it to her daughters. And she called me back a week later and said "They love it and they weren't scared at all. I'll take it to Harper Children's."
A decade later, at the Opening Night of the Coraline musical, I was sitting next to Morgan, Merilee's youngest daughter, and told her how her not being scared had made the book happen. And she said "I was terrified. But I needed to find out what happened next. So nobody knew."
So, yes.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
No mention of Lampwick's transformation into a Donkey from Disney's Pinocchio?

Seriously, the stuff of nightmares.

4b60a32fb87006a1fece26db47121831.gif

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
These films are old but jump scares play with the moment, so I'm hiding them in spoilers:

www.youtube.com

Se7en movie - Sloth victim scene

I do not own anything

www.youtube.com

Parasite - Kid seeing the ghost scene

Parasite ghost scene where the Da song kid eating the cake sees Geun se creepily peeping out of the basement entrance.

0d69dd8b47ba94d61942c479a6cf971e15b181b8.gif

Also Personal Shopper's texting scene.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The "Time's Arrow" episode of Bojack Horseman freaked me the hell out. Like, the people with nothing faces, the flashbacks, the fact Beatrice's childhood was horrifically traumatic without all the glitches of dementia warping it.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
This scene in V starting at around 2:10. Couldn't sleep alone for several days. Actually this series had some really fucked up scenes.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Ghostbusters 2 may be a shaky comedy, but fuck me if it didn't have some moments that are formatively stuck in my brain since childhood. From the original movie that really didn't take its supernatural shit seriously 95% of the time, there's more stuff here that sticks with you.

43d6b27242762a2ca0388fbdf7beac3fcbe63771.gifv

12039123.gif

Thisisme

Apr 14, 2018
iu

iu

who-framed-roger-rabbit-1988.gif

iu

6e9ace9c6eccd0f9bfe51c282e44d1e5_w200.gif

The plot twist responsible for scarring countless children (if the cartoon shoe melting scene hadn't already). Christopher Lloyd's performance strikes that perfect balance where he's wacky and over-the-top like you'd expect from a cartoon, but instead of being funny, it's unsettling and even kinda intimidating. I think it's because only the eyes and hands are visibly "toony" so it lands well into Uncanny Valley territory: genius move to only show those parts of his true form. The fact it's such a 180 from how he acts throughout the rest of the film only makes this moment creepier.

Good one. That scene with cartoon shoe scarred me. My childhood mind couldn't comprehend how something so innocent could be nonchalantly executed.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Ghostbusters 2 may be a shaky comedy, but fuck me if it didn't have some moments that are formatively stuck in my brain since childhood. From the original movie that really didn't take its supernatural shit seriously 95% of the time, there's more stuff here that sticks with you.

43d6b27242762a2ca0388fbdf7beac3fcbe63771.gifv

12039123.gif

Gotta add the subway scene, which was STRAIGHT UP from a horror movie!

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully I've forgotten the exact scene but renting Howard the Duck as a young kid fucked me up for a bit.

I remember this.

howard-the.gif

uArSKD.gif

200.gif

The last act of Howard the Duck was pure nightmare fuel for kids. Dr. Jennings fucked me up as a 5 year old more than any horror villain at the time did. Who knew that the actor would end up being a villain in real life?

Last edited: