• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The best month of the year has finally arrived!
Hope y'all are ready to dig into some of great horror games of 2019, or reach back to some classics of the past. Thought it would be fun to have a thread to discuss what titles we're checking out, ask for recommendations, assistance, give impressions or whatever else. Regardless, hope everyone has a wonderful and potentially frightful October!
Personally, I'm planning on hitting the backlog. Very excited to start Fatal Frame III later tonight.

Here are some horror titles that came out or aim to release in 2019 (An upcoming horror release calendar is included at the bottom as well):
  • Resident Evil 2 (PS4, Xbox, PC)
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Ferikkain%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F01%2FRE2.jpg

• Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch) - Oct 31
H2x1_NSwitch_LuigisMansion3_image1600w.jpg

• Man of Medan (PS4, Xbox, PC)
the-dark-pictures-man-of-medan-review.jpg

• Pathologic 2 (PC)
fb2fd36f67e09357086e9dadf0692770676f98026a68e5e87d9725c8b005a079.jpg

• Devotion (PC Delisted)
devotion-review-header.jpg

• Blair Witch (Xbox, PC)
d5MdP15.png

• A Plague Tale Innocence (PS4, Xbox, PC)
a-plague-tale-innocence-review.jpg

... More horror releases:

- The Sinking City (PS4, Xbox, Switch, PC)

- Close to the Sun (PS4, Switch, Xbox, PC)

- Apsulov: End of Gods (PC)

- Layers of Fear 2 (PC)

- The Blackout Club (PC)

- Days Gone (PS4)

- Daymare 1998 (PC)

2019 Release Calendar:

- Oct 2: Visage (PC)
header.jpg

- Oct 4: Ghostbusters Remastered (PS4, Xbox, Switch, PC)
H2x1_NSwitch_GhostbustersTheVideoGameRemastered_image1600w.jpg

- Oct 8: Call of Cthulhu (Switch)
Switch_CallofCthulhu_1200x675.jpg

- Oct 10: Spirit Hunter NG (PS4, Switch, Vita, PC)
header.jpg

- Oct 16: Chernobylite (PS4, Xbox, PC)
header.jpg

- Oct 17: The Beast Inside (PC)
header.jpg

- Oct 18 EU/22 NA: Raging Loop (PS4, Switch)
maxresdefault.jpg

- Oct 25: MediEvil (PS4)
1569415723-2877-card.jpg

- Oct 29: Resident Evil Triple Pack (Switch)
4Z0WwSl.png

- Oct 31: Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch)
H2x1_NSwitch_LuigisMansion3_image1600w.jpg

- Oct 31: Moons of Madness (PS4, Xbox, PC)
maxresdefault.jpg

- TBA 2019: Someday You'll Return (PS4, Xbox, PC)
header.jpg

- TBA: World of Horror (PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, PC) free demo on itch.io
header.jpg

- TBA: Atomic Heart (PC)
header.jpg

Worthwhile to note that loads more stuff came out in the indie scene, definitely check out itch.io if you're interested. Hopefully some folks will have suggestions on what titles should be given the spotlight.

Last edited:

CosmicElement

Oct 27, 2017
I want to replay RE2 Remake and a Silent Hill.. maybe 1 or Downpour.
Oh and I'm consistently playing Dead by Daylight too.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
God, im still so angry about Devotion. shouldve just nabbed it when i had the chance, even if i couldnt play it at the time.

i bought RE2 last week and have been enjoying that while my fiancee "watches", and id like to set aside an evening and do a sort of cinematic run-through of REmake with her. other than that, i really dont know what good, solid horror games are available for us to mess around with.

i might just get comfy on the couch and play some of the recent-ish crop of PC indie horror games (Faith & Faith 2, stuff like Power Drill Massacre) or something.

JD64

Aug 5, 2019
Melbourne, Australia.
Hate to promote my own thing but I've been working on a 2D survival horror project called CONSCRIPT for 2.5 years now and thought I'd share it in this thread, for those interested. :)

uM6rnda.png

Conscript is basically a 2D survival horror game set during WW1, with mechanics inspired by the early RE's and SH's. I don't say that lightly, as there is limited inventory space, itemboxes, route planning, limited saves, an industrial soundtrack and weird ass puzzles.

9ZBFyBW.gif

pPMQbaC.gif

IMW2gSh.gif

If you guys are interested, please check out my Twitter for updates: https://twitter.com/ConscriptGame

Aiming for a mid-2020 release. :)

As for the current horror game landscape, you cannot get better than RE2. Not only is it my GOTY, but one of my favourites of all time regardless of genre. I say this even as a massive fan of the OG version. If you haven't played it, you absolutely need to. Imo it deserves a spot up there with REmake, RE4 and OG RE2. I don't think there is a better representation of the classic RE gameplay tenets such as ammo conservation and route planning as present in RE2. Playing through Leon B on hardcore right now, and literally every move around the police station needs to be planned to accommodate for MR X's position. It basically turns the the experience somewhat into that of strategy game. Love it.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I am raising an incredulous eyebrow at Luigi's Masion being counted as a horror game.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded Alien Isolation and have already played Blair Witch. Are there any other decent horror titles on gamepass?

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Conscript is basically a 2D survival horror game set during WW1, with mechanics inspired by the early RE's and SH's. I don't say that lightly, as there is limited inventory space, itemboxes, route planning, limited saves, an industrial soundtrack and weird ass puzzles.

uu9pmDP.gif

This looks amazing. What platforms are you planning to release this game on? I would love to play your game once it releases.
That gif in which there is a moving "thing" on the bed reminded me of the part in RE4 in which you open a trash bin and there is a moving bag inside.

JD64

Aug 5, 2019
Melbourne, Australia.
uu9pmDP.gif

This looks amazing. What platforms are you planning to release this game on? I would love to play your game once it releases.
That gif in which there is a moving "thing" on the bed reminded me of the part in RE4 in which you open a trash bin and there is a moving bag inside.
Thank you very much!! The plans are to eventually have it on everything. Most likely PC mid-2020 then everything else later that year. If everything goes to plan of course.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hate to promote my own thing but I've been working on a 2D survival horror project called CONSCRIPT for 2.5 years now and thought I'd share it in this thread, for those interested. :)

uM6rnda.png

9ZBFyBW.gif

pPMQbaC.gif

IMW2gSh.gif

If you guys are interested, please check out my Twitter for updates: https://twitter.com/ConscriptGame

This looks really up my alley. Will keep an eye on it for sure.

Just one more week! :)

Also, the game will be released on VITA digitally only as well, so four platforms altogether :D
Very stoked to play it. Enjoyed Death Mark a bunch. Hope whatever is going on with the third title works out in the end too.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

uM6rnda.png

9ZBFyBW.gif

pPMQbaC.gif

IMW2gSh.gif

As for the current horror game landscape, you cannot get better than RE2. Not only is it my GOTY, but one of my favourites of all time regardless of genre. I say this even as a massive fan of the OG version. If you haven't played it, you absolutely need to. Imo it deserves a spot up there with REmake, RE4 and OG RE2. I don't think there is a better representation of the classic RE gameplay tenets such as ammo conservation and route planning as present in RE2. Playing through Leon B on hardcore right now, and literally every move around the police station needs to be planned to accommodate for MR X's position. It basically turns the the experience somewhat into that of strategy game. Love it.
Soooooo sold on a World War 1 horror game. I'll keep a look out for it!

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018
This giveaway has unfortunately been cancelled.

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from CannonFodder52 CannonFodder52!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

CannonFodder52 said:
Thought I'd start month with a giveaway of my favourite horror game of all time!
I'll note the PC port isn't terrific, but hopefully it'll run fine on your rig.
d402b07849a7d28b950728d3d099c1b6.jpg

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Deadly Premonition Director's Cut

Ryuun

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
CT
Ugh every October I try to get through one horror game. Hasn't happened yet. I get too scared playing them. If someone can recommend me something that doesn't rely on jumpscares, I will give it a shot!

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just finished the opening chapter of Fatal Frame III, and it seems pretty great so far. Really digging the cozy hub house. Having the ex-fiance's room at the end of a long hall is a cool touch, feels creepy as hell going in there.
It's also interesting seeing a more modern day setting show up in one of these games, I don't think we got any of that in the first two entries.
Anyways, definitely excited to play more tomorrow.

Ugh every October I try to get through one horror game. Hasn't happened yet. I get too scared playing them. If someone can recommend me something that doesn't rely on jumpscares, I will give it a shot!

Maybe try Deadly Premonition, it's more campy than anything else.
Japanese take of Twin Peaks, features a small town full of charasmatic NPCs, a grand mystery with detective gameplay and some b-tier RE4 combat.

You could also play, Dead Rising, Luigi's Mansion, Bloodborne, The Silver Case (FMV/Adventure) or Resident Evil 4 through 6.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017

Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion.

For real though, have you tried Silent Hill 1-3? There's a reason why they're so well regarded. Almost zero jump scares. They're all about that atmosphere.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
Well I started The Last Of Us Remastered on Monday. Throughout the month I only plan on play horror games. Theres plenty more I want to play but don't think I'd have the time, not sure I'm even going to have the time to finish the ones on my list.

I plan on playing:
The Last Of Us
TLOU Left Behind
Ghostbusters Remastered
Until Dawn
Man of Medan
REmake 2 (backlog)
The Evil Within 2 (backlog)

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Was planning to play Alien Isolation as I haven't played it yet but then decided to dust off my PS3 and play Dead space :) Yet to decide which one among DS1 and DS2, I am going to play.

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
There's a Horror game I was interested in, but I forgot the name completely. It's either not out yet, or it already came out.. It was using sprites, and I remember some creepy woman chasing after the character. Can anyone help me out? D:

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Spooky Month = Best Month

NG, Raging Loop and Blair Witch are on my list this year. I hope I'll also find the time to go back to at least one classic PS2 horror game.

There's a Horror game I was interested in, but I forgot the name completely. It's either not out yet, or it already came out.. It was using sprites, and I remember some creepy woman chasing after the character. Can anyone help me out? D:
Viviette?

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Call of Cthulhu on Switch? I had no idea this was coming out. Is it a new game or port of an existing game?

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Well I started The Last Of Us Remastered on Monday. Throughout the month I only plan on play horror games. Theres plenty more I want to play but don't think I'd have the time, not sure I'm even going to have the time to finish the ones on my list.

I plan on playing:
The Last Of Us
TLOU Left Behind
Ghostbusters Remastered
Until Dawn
Man of Medan
REmake 2 (backlog)
The Evil Within 2 (backlog)

Are the games labeled (backlog) ones you haven't played yet and the rest revisits? Because if so, drop everything and play REmake 2 right now.

And if not, drop everything and play REmake 2 right now.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
Are the games labeled (backlog) ones you haven't played yet and the rest revisits? Because if so, drop everything and play REmake 2 right now.

And if not, drop everything and play REmake 2 right now.
Well the backlog games I have played, just never got around to finishing. I only dropped RE2 and TEW2 because things came up then too much time had passed. I'll jump back into REmake 2 after Ghostbusters for sure.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
So far, this october, I've only played some Death Road to Canada in coop with my girlfriend. So much fun.
But I have a fair amount to choose from, that I haven't played yet:
Alien Isolation
Ghostbusters The Videogame
Resident Evil VII
Resident Evil 2 (Remake)
The Walking Dead: Final Season
World War Z
Zombi

I will definitely start out with Resident Evil 2 but after that it's anyones guess.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm feeling the Bloodborne itch all over again, which will probably lead me to play it during the Halloween week.

It's definitely not amongst the scariest games i've played, but hot damn, if it isn't the most atmospheric and thematically well executed experience this gen. It goes across so many horror influences and it never stops being effective, just started thinking about that iconic soundtrack and it's already giving me the chills.

Outside of that, i'm also feeling the old Capcom vibes while thiking about Clock Tower 3 and Haunting Ground, tho i'm still going through another playthrough of REmake 2. After that, it's TLoU time and then a quick RE3 run before going back to Yharnam.

For the sake of adding to this giant list, i would 100% recommend DARKWOOD for this beautiful month, it's simply one of the best horror titles in the recent years.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Going to be starting Outlast 2 soon. I really enjoyed the first one apart from one section where I was stuck for like a half hour because the map layout didn't make it clear where you were supposed to go. I died to the big dude like a dozen times trying to figure it out which in itself wasn't frustrating, but it did take all the tension out of the encounters with him.

Without spoilers, what can I expect from the sequel?

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Going to be starting Outlast 2 soon. I really enjoyed the first one apart from one section where I was stuck for like a half hour because the map layout didn't make it clear where you were supposed to go. I died to the big dude like a dozen times trying to figure it out which in itself wasn't frustrating, but it did take all the tension out of the encounters with him.

A few great creepy hours, then more of the same to the point where you probably will stop caring.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So far Devotion is the horror masterpiece of the year for me.
Very hyped for Chernobylite.

tons of atmosphere, a batshit insane story and less stealth sections, more chase sequences.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
If you got a chance to try this, was it good?
I originally got it because it looked like the game was going for something like the first Corpse Party. It looks lovely, has an atmospheric presentation and the story could be interesting. But there's some annoying puzzle elements and the game can be slow and obtuse. Reviews mentioned that the whole game is like that, so I never finished it. It might work for you if you like old adventure games that don't hold your hand or playing with a guide.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

P2 has been on my Wishlist forever, but with the recent string of long-form analysis vids coupled with the discount this week, I took the plunge.

Dropped a few hours in last night and man. This thing is the real deal.

It's so...strange. The atmosphere is incredible. Everything feels off. It's not in your face outrageous. It's subtle and unsettling. There's a nuanced mix of reality and otherworldly elements. There's tons of world lore and exposition, but nothing is laid out in strict black & white explanations. You're dropped into a world that's already in motion and no one is sitting you down for a detailed primer lesson. It makes you question what's real or not. Everything is business as usual with the local residents, but the oddities happening all around makes one question if you're crazy or they're crazy.

Is it Lynchian? Is it a fever dream? It's all of that and then some.

This thing feels unique and special, avant garde in a way that takes one by surprise.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019

uM6rnda.png

9ZBFyBW.gif

pPMQbaC.gif

IMW2gSh.gif

Hell yes! Will definitely be on the look out for this!

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I originally got it because it looked like the game was going for something like the first Corpse Party. It looks lovely, has an atmospheric presentation and the story could be interesting. But there's some annoying puzzle elements and the game can be slow and obtuse. Reviews mentioned that the whole game is like that, so I never finished it. It might work for you if you like old adventure games that don't hold your hand or playing with a guide.
Ah alright, I'll keep that in mind. I think I'll give it a shot when it goes on sale since yeah, the atmosphere does look great.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to play House of the Dead: Overkill with my SO! One of the best rail shooters of all time.

I liked the grindhouse aesthetic they went for, but the voice acting was too good. House of the Dead should always have voice acting from people who have no business being voice actors.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017

Sequel to the Coma and Dreadout, I've been following updates on them. Coma 2 is planned for this year still, Dreadout 2 has no date yet.

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 5 gifts from Urishizu Urishizu!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Urishizu said:
Seems like a good enough place for a surprise giveaway. 4-player co-op survival horror with fixed camera angles. Happy October!

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Outbreak: The New Nightmare - Won by Call me YHWH Call me YHWH
  • Steam Steam: Outbreak: The New Nightmare - Won by MikeHattsu MikeHattsu
  • Steam Steam: Outbreak: The New Nightmare - Won by
  • Steam Steam: Outbreak: The New Nightmare - Won by DDayton DDayton
  • Steam Steam: Outbreak: The New Nightmare - Won by Spiderman Spiderman

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC

uM6rnda.png

9ZBFyBW.gif

pPMQbaC.gif

IMW2gSh.gif

This,... looks... AWESOME