• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ade

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The recent(ish) comics are worth a read, especially as they get into the lore of "other" hells beyond Leviathans

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
In the first two movies, no. Later installments, it could be argued they are.

Also a good time to reiterate it still blows my mind how good a job Barker did directing the first movie without any experience whatsoever.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Been a long ass time since I've watched a Hellraiser movie by they didn't strike me as evil. They're just a group of horny sadomasochists.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Judgement (Hellraiser 10). I love the way it builds on the lore of the series.
Holy shit there's 10 of them!? When was the last time one of them got a theatrical release? Are any of them modern?

I have a morbid curiosity about Cenobites and their lore but I 10000000% cannot deal with body horror shit so I'll never be able to watch any of the movies.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Just because they might prefer to be left alone doesn't mane they ain't evil. Like, don't they try to take Kristy at the end of 1 even after they get Frank? They had no reason to involve Kristy in their bullshit at all if they were not evil.

They just happen to also inflict themselves on evil people too.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
They're the school goths, just let them do their thing, man.

source.gif

Bunch of fuckin degens

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the cenobites seem to align with the lawful neutral spectrum, at least for the first 2 movies.

The cenobites didn't actively seek out 'victims', and they only appeared to those who open the box with intent. This is why they don't go after the mute girl in hellraiser 2 when she was tricked to do so by the doctor. Frank technically got his wish after opening the box, which is way more explicit in the book lol.
Even they describe themselves as 'demons to some, angels to others', which fits into the neutral spectrum before they become horror movie slashers later on.

Last edited:

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Neutral beings. People go looking for them, they dont go looking for someone unless prompted.

Ade

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Other Hells? What's that all about?
The Hellraiser hell was just one hell domain, lorded over by Leviathan with Pinhead as his pope and the cenobites as his black priests, there are other hell lords with other domains and such.

Hellblazer (coincidentally) ran with similar concepts, each mythology has a hell, they're all valid.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want an evil take on the Cenobite idea the Godhand from Beserk are probably a better choice. They cause plagues and force people to make a horrific choice at their lowest moments to turn them into monsters.

latest

Oct 27, 2017
The Hellraiser hell was just one hell domain, lorded over by Leviathan with Pinhead as his pope and the cenobites as his black priests, there are other hell lords with other domains and such.

Hellblazer (coincidentally) ran with similar concepts, each mythology has a hell, they're all valid.

I guess this is based on the movie continuity, as in the Barker books Pinhead is from the literal Christian Hell.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
"They don't believe in evil," "they're beyond such concepts," "they're really more of a neutral."

200.gif

Playing with a Rubik's cube is not consent to be tortured, y'all.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit there's 10 of them!? When was the last time one of them got a theatrical release? Are any of them modern?

I have a morbid curiosity about Cenobites and their lore but I 10000000% cannot deal with body horror shit so I'll never be able to watch any of the movies.

4 was the last to get a theatrical release, but they've kept making them. Judgement came out in 2018.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
"They don't believe in evil," "they're beyond such concepts," "they're really more of a neutral."

200.gif

Playing with a Rubik's cube is not consent to be tortured, y'all.

In the book Frank was warned about the cenobites, but that horny bastard opened the box anyways. He did get what he wanted, even though he got ripped apart after the biggest nut of his life. 👀

If you go by Clive Barker's newest continuity and lore, The Priest of Hell (Pinhead) is a representative of evil in the Christian cosmology. However, it can be very different in some media, especially many of the comics.

In their most neutral versions, Cenobites are worshippers of a kind of order that involves balancing all things and experiences. Everything has a place, pleasure and pain, good and evil, suffering and salvation.

Still, by human standards, they see nothing wrong with inflicting horrific torture when their calculus says it is justified. So on a human level they would be the very personification of lawful evil.

IIRC, in the original story compared to the movie, the Cenobites are surprisingly fair. They don't just drag Frank to hell when he summons them; they warn him he may not get what he expects, providing him an opportunity to back out. They don't betray Kirsty after she gives them Frank.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
Not really, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Judgement (Hellraiser 10). I love the way it builds on the lore of the series.
Ooh I like lore. I'll see if it's streaming somewhere.

You've already watched more than I would recommend.
Lol I figured as much

No. Even 3 is barely worth watching.
i feel like 3 is the pinnacle -- enjoyably schlocky with just enough production values to be acceptable
I do have a soft spot for 3. I know it's bad, but I still enjoy it.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
There's a lot of 'good people on both sides of the lament configuration' Going on it this thread.

like literal eternal torture and suffering is a justifiable response to opening a puzzle, trspassing or even asking for it at first.
It's as immoral and evil as the god of the bible, which is incredibly immoral and evil.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to think they're evil considering how they were going to drag that girl back to "hell" even though they technically had an agreement. Sounds pretty evil to me

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
There's a YouTuber who goes into the lore and it's amazing but he ended up spewing right wing views so I won't link his channel.

From what I remember they are neutral overall.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
When that dude's daughter returns the box to that skinless dude so he can be sent back to Cenobite torture world, didn't they go apeshit and try to kill the daughter for no reason?

yes, this is why Hellraiser is an otherwise incredible movie with roughly 5 minutes of bad nonsense tacked on near the ending.

the last bit outside the house is the good kind of nonsense though, that part rules.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Hellraiser 1 is my favorite horror movie. If you read the novel that the movie was based on, the Cenobites were never depicted as being neither good nor evil. They are basically dealmakers. If you solve the box looking to fulfill your deepest pleasures or desires, then they will deliver in exchange for exquisite pain and suffering.

Even Hellraiser 2 delved a little deeper into this since the character Tiffany had opened the box on behalf of Julia and Dr. Channard, and Pinhead stopped the other Cenobites from taking Tiffany because he knew she had no desire to open the box, so there was no deal to be made.

When that dude's daughter returns the box to that skinless dude so he can be sent back to Cenobite torture world, didn't they go apeshit and try to kill the daughter for no reason?

The ending was going to be very different starting from that part, but they ran out of money and couldn't get more from the studio to properly finish the film. So Clive and another of the directors got drunk one weekend and designed the final sequence. However, according to Doug Bradley (the man who played Pinhead) Clive wanted to have this mystery around the Cenobites motives so that they couldn't be perceived as the "heroes" of the story since they would ultimately save Kirsty. Hence why they go back on their deal and try to take Kirsty back once they kill Frank again.

Last edited:

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they don't ask you for consent or let you stop, right? A good or neutral being would let you cry uncle or listen when you tell them there's been a misunderstanding imo.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Hellraiser 3 and 4 specifically said that Pinhead was a special kind of evil who wanted to take over world and sexmutilate everybody.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Is Cthulu evil? Hastur? King in Yellow and all that?

Or are their concepts of life and death so beyond your tiny minds that you cannot understand the infinite??!!

We have such sights to show you, where we're going you don't need eyes to see... ect.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
True neutral I'd say. They didn't attack that one mental patient that was made to open the box.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
yes, this is why Hellraiser is an otherwise incredible movie with roughly 5 minutes of bad nonsense tacked on near the ending.

the last bit outside the house is the good kind of nonsense though, that part rules.
Hellraiser 1 is my favorite horror movie. If you read the novel that the movie was based on, the Cenobites were never depicted as being neither good nor evil. They are basically dealmakers. If you solve the box looking to fulfill your deepest pleasures or desires, then they will deliver in exchange for exquisite pain and suffering.

Even Hellraiser 2 delved a little deeper into this since the character Tiffany had opened the box on behalf of Julia and Dr. Channard, and Pinhead stopped the other Cenobites from taking Tiffany because he knew she had no desire to open the box, so there was no deal to be made.

The ending was going to be very different starting from that part, but they ran out of money and couldn't get more from the studio to properly finish the film. So Clive and another of the directors got drunk one weekend and designed the final sequence. However, according to Doug Bradley (the man who played Pinhead) Clive wanted to have this mystery around the Cenobites motives so that they couldn't be perceived as the "heroes" of the story since they would ultimately save Kirsty. Hence why they go back on their deal and try to take Kirsty back once they kill Frank again.
Yeah this is why the ending flopped for me. It was lame seeing these amazing practical horror movie monster designs being dispatched so easily and for no real reason for them to go nuts and try to kill her. Like tell her to leave the box and get the fuck out I promise you she will not bother arguing with the flayed BDSM demon

Oct 27, 2017
It's competent. Plays out like a Silent Hill game too. Pretty damn good for a 4th sequel tbh.

Written and Directed by Scott Derrickson who wrote and directed Sinister and also Doctor Strange.

To elaborate, had it been a standalone movie it would've been an OK-ish psychological horror drama/thriller. But as a Hellraiser movie it just... kinda sucked.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I've only seen the first one and I wasn't totally focused on it, but I was a little confused on how people could say they're neutral. Don't they try to track down and torture some innocent girl just because she's there?