• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Yo, I watched Hereditary last night.
My goodness, that was an interesting film. Acting was superb

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
Just had a bit of a horror marathon and did these in a 24 hour period:
Phantasm (Honestly pretty bland. I hope the sequels are zanier cause this was really tame. Very interesting in terms of characters.)
Ah, it's too bad Phantasm didn't land for you. It's one of my favorite movies. If you liked the characters and zaniness is what you're looking for you might indeed enjoy the sequels more.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, it's too bad Phantasm didn't land for you. It's one of my favorite movies. If you liked the characters and zaniness is what you're looking for you might indeed enjoy the sequels more.
Good to hear! I liked the Tall Man and what he did but there wasn't quite enough of it for me. For such a concept I think I wanted something a bit more heavy on the supernatural.

Scoops

Oct 27, 2017
I started watching The Terrifier last night and just like the previous movie, there's no suspense or even fun. Just grossness for the sake grossness and an overall tone of cruelty and sexism.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was bored and just watched Tusk on Netflix.

W..T...F?!?!

ntropy

Oct 27, 2017
saw Pyewacket (2017).
a slow burn with a harrowing ending.
the "reveal" is done well.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Cool just found this thread thanks to the new section (or maybe refound who knows?)

Anyone else plotting their 31days of Horror Movies for this year? I have never done the full 31, but I may well try to this year or at least get up to 20 films, most I have ever done is 17 films usually due to being to tired after work or just needing a break.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I was bored and just watched Tusk on Netflix.

W..T...F?!?!
Tusk frustrated me so much. I was digging it. It was decently shot, Michael Parks was awesome and creepy, Justin Long played a great asshole character, the body horror was nice and fucked up.
Then Johnny Depp and his two bit Clouseau routine show up, and kill the mood that was going. Everything deteriorates, the full walrus suit is made to look stupid instead of twisted and freaky...and it ruins the last act. I've never been so disappointed in a movie, and it's all because Kevin Smith and his stoner humour decided to utterly tank a good thing that had real potential. If it was a full on comedy from the start, and Jay Mewes played the walrus-obsessed psycho, I wouldn't have given a shit. Michael Parks KILLED it early on, his performance was great...that gave me hope. Then Kev couldn't let the dumb podcast humour go....GAH!

Aug 11, 2018
Kentucky
If you need help let me know ! Like a poster design in the form of a calendar with the movie posters or something. Would also be down to give somewhat more obscure foreign suggestions for horror. Definitely doing this so fucking excited

Work on this year's 31 Days of Horror marathon thread has begun.

I'm finally taking the time to fully re-do it (I used to just tweak it from year to year on the previous forum) and will be expanding the resources section with more free, legal streaming sources and such. If anyone has any resources they think should be added to help with viewings/recommendations/etc, feel free to let me know and I'll add them in.

For those of you who took part on the previous forum, like last year there won't be any mandatory movies. I'm considering maybe replacing it with 2 "suggested" movies (1 public domain, 1 Netflix/streaming). Same idea as the mandatory movies, different wording so anyone who wants to skip them can do so. I did want to do Nosferatu, but apparently it's only public domain in the US, which is super weird. Anyone even interested in doing "suggested" movies?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Watched Puppet Master The Littlest Reich the other week, pretty decent. It loses some of the charm of the original series but the over the top gory kills are great, well worth a watch if you like blood & gore.

With Ash vs Evil Dead sadly being canned, I think I'm gonna do an Evil Dead marathon for Halloween this year. The original 3 films, followed by the 3 seasons of Ash vs Evil Dead and then finish with extended / uncut version of Evil Dead (2013) It doesn't take much of an excuse for me to watch Evil Dead though lol

Aug 11, 2018
Kentucky
For body horror I'd recommend "Flowers of Flesh and Blood" from the infamous Guinea Pig series. It was so realistic that the FBI had to do an investigation to make sure it wasn't snuff. Or maybe Ichi the Killer :D there's a lot of mutilation, torture, and slaughter gore. Love that fucking movie.

I've seen those too.

I've got Altered States, Jacob's Ladder, Starry Eyes and possibly Human Centipede 3 lined up. I'd like to get 5 total so I can do a business week of them. I guess I'll include Rabid too.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I asked this in the general movies you've seen recently thread, not realizing this thread even existed, but what's the view on Halloween 4? A theater near me is playing a double feature of 1 and 4 on Halloween this year, and am definitely interested in seeing the first but I haven't seen 4 and wondering what everyone's thoughts on it were.

For the record, I've also seen II (which I really liked), III (which I thought was ok), and H20 (good beginning, boring and 90s as fuck middle, good ending).

HALLOWEEN is my favorite film of all time. I'll watch any of the sequels if they're on the tele, but they really fall off a cliff after HALLOWEEN II. H20 has bright moments but the franchise is battered. Silly to leave the double feature early but it's a steep decline from the original. Interesting they're doing 1 & 4 and not 1 & 2 or 1 & H20.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got Horror confessions?

I have never seen the original Halloween or any Sequels, hoping to fix that this year. Instead I have seen both of the Rob Zombie Movies.

Secondly I like watching some of the remakes like Noes, F13th, The Omen etc, sure they aren't great but eh I still like to at least watch them once, I don't have a complete negative reaction to them just cos I loved the original, where I outright refuse to watch them, I'll give them a go, except I am still stalling on Tom Cruise's The Mummy, but that stems more on I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise much.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got Horror confessions?

I have never seen the original Halloween or any Sequels, hoping to fix that this year. Instead I have seen both of the Rob Zombie Movies.

Secondly I like watching some of the remakes like Noes, F13th, The Omen etc, sure they aren't great but eh I still like to at least watch them once, I don't have a complete negative reaction to them just cos I loved the original, where I outright refuse to watch them, I'll give them a go, except I am still stalling on Tom Cruise's The Mummy, but that stems more on I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise much.

I can't even...

DrBillRiverman

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
Anyone else plotting their 31days of Horror Movies for this year? I have never done the full 31, but I may well try to this year or at least get up to 20 films, most I have ever done is 17 films usually due to being to tired after work or just needing a break.

I always like the idea of these challenges, but for me they end up sucking the fun out.
October is definitely Horror month in our house so we try to consume as much horror content as we can, but we won't set a strict target for ourselves.

But we do like to stick to a theme. With the new Halloween movie coming out soon I'm feeling Slashers this year

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I have a confession regarding horror.

I am a massive fan of Hand of Death Part 25: Jackson's Back and find it to be one of the funniest and most perfect slasher-satires ever.
It's basically like Jason and Frasier had a lovechild.

Oct 27, 2017
I love horror/sci-fi anthology series and I've been working through this Monsters (1988) show for the past month. There are a few very flat episodes, but there have also been a couple fantastic ones scattered throughout.

Here's a gem of a clip from an early episode centered around a bee breeder/honey farm:

You can buy the complete series on DVD if you live in the US; most episodes are also uploaded onto YouTube if you have to go that route.

Krakle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an avid horror genre fan and I'm always on the lookout for new horror films to watch. Looks like I found the right place!

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I watched Halloween 4 this weekend. Thought it was terrible . H2O was a better sequel and slasher.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Phantasm (Honestly pretty bland. I hope the sequels are zanier cause this was really tame. Very interesting in terms of characters.)
Good to hear! I liked the Tall Man and what he did but there wasn't quite enough of it for me. For such a concept I think I wanted something a bit more heavy on the supernatural.

Phantasm definitely gets more wacky with the sequels, especially 2 and 3. 2 is my personal favorite of the series. 3 is a little too zany though. You're probably not going to get your supernatural needs out of the sequels though, it's a science fiction series.

Cool just found this thread thanks to the new section (or maybe refound who knows?)

I'm full on planning mine now. I'm trying to group my to-watch list into subgenres so I can do theme viewings but as usual it looks like I have way too much to watch and not enough days in the month. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about all the theme weeks I wanted now.

Tusk frustrated me so much. I was digging it. It was decently shot, Michael Parks was awesome and creepy, Justin Long played a great asshole character, the body horror was nice and fucked up.
Then Johnny Depp and his two bit Clouseau routine show up, and kill the mood that was going. Everything deteriorates, the full walrus suit is made to look stupid instead of twisted and freaky...and it ruins the last act. I've never been so disappointed in a movie, and it's all because Kevin Smith and his stoner humour decided to utterly tank a good thing that had real potential. If it was a full on comedy from the start, and Jay Mewes played the walrus-obsessed psycho, I wouldn't have given a shit. Michael Parks KILLED it early on, his performance was great...that gave me hope. Then Kev couldn't let the dumb podcast humour go....GAH!

Tusk is an interesting disaster. You're right about Parks, he was great in that and easily the best part, but any chance of that movie being good went out the window with Deep's god awful performance. Clearly Smith either didn't have the courage to tell him to quit it with that shit, or just didn't have the foresight to see how awful it was and how much it clashed with the tone of the first half of the movie. I really do think Smith has potential in the genre (I enjoyed Red State quite a bit) but he needs to step back and stop trying to be HUH HUH STONED KEVIN SMITH so much. We get it Kevin, you like weed and over-the-top humor.

If you need help let me know ! Like a poster design in the form of a calendar with the movie posters or something. Would also be down to give somewhat more obscure foreign suggestions for horror. Definitely doing this so fucking excited

Thanks. I think I'll be good for graphics. I'm just going to a hand drawn logo like I usually do and maybe a couple of graphic subtitles. I'm not a fan of overly graphical threads (and especially hate when the body text is a graphic so you can't search/copy/quote it) so I try not to overload it with images. Not sure how I'd use a calendar image with posters.

I'm definitely interested in working in recommendation lists somehow and I like the idea of a obscure foreign suggestions list because that is something that does get asked quite a bit. I'm not quite sure how to best integrate any lists yet - I may try to coordinate a time with anyone willing to post such lists where I can post the OT and then have everyone add in their lists in posts 2 and so on at the same time, or I may just ask that they be posted in the thread and then I'll edit them into the OT and link to the posts.

One thing I do think is important for a list like that, is keep in mind availability of the movies, especially when you're doing obscure foreign stuff. If they're available to stream (legally), that would obviously be the of most use to people. So much of that kind of stuff is out of print or just impossible to find so recommending it seems kind of pointless if you can only get it it off Ebay.

For body horror I'd recommend "Flowers of Flesh and Blood" from the infamous Guinea Pig series. It was so realistic that the FBI had to do an investigation to make sure it wasn't snuff. Or maybe Ichi the Killer :D there's a lot of mutilation, torture, and slaughter gore. Love that fucking movie.

I've seen Ichi. The GP series never seemed interesting to me. I find stuff that tries so hard to be realistic just kind of boring so I've never had any desire to seek them out, and to be honest, I probably never will. I like stuff to be more fantastical and imaginative, not just trying to gross me out by looking real.

Scoops

Oct 27, 2017
Zombie's Halloween is worth it for me just for that breakfast scene in the beginning. Just complete drunken, white trash insanity.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't think I've enjoyed any of Rob Zombie's movies. I really wanted to like Lords of Salem too. :(

Honestly this year has been pretty terrible for me in terms of horror movies. None I've watched so far have been scary, and a lot of them have been downright bad (or just didn't click with me). Some have been entertaining, at least.

A bit of a problem is I don't have a lot of options for watching, just either Netflix or Amazon Video (Prime + rent/buy).

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
The_Houses_October_Built_poster.jpg

I'm aware most people hated these movies but I loved them. One of the reasons I enjoyed them was for the haunted house scenes. Just watching them go through the haunts was fun to me. Really gets me in the Halloween spirit watching these two films. Since then I've added being a part of a haunt to my bucket list. I'm actually serious about it but I have no idea where to start. I'm going to Halloween Horror Nights in October and I'm hoping to talk to someone there about how to get started.

I was wondering if there was even one other fan out there lol? I even liked the sequel which even more people hated. Hoping there's gonna be a third to finish off the story but it's not looking too good. I'm such a sucker for found footage...

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering if there was even one other fan out there lol? I even liked the sequel which even more people hated. Hoping there's gonna be a third to finish off the story but it's not looking too good. I'm such a sucker for found footage...

My wife and I really enjoyed the first one, actually had no idea there was a sequel so will have to go find it. I've never done a haunt, but I've done this which I think is kinda similar?

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
Watched Slender Man last week.. honestly one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Not going to disagree with this at all, but I'd honestly be interested in seeing what that movie looked like before the studio got in there and started hacking away. That was one of the most obvious examples of studio fuckery I've seen in a long time. There were two characters whose deaths were shown in the trailer that did not die in the finished film. They weren't minor characters either, one of them was the final girl's love interest and another was one of the core group that summoned Slender Man. Some scenes were cut so badly they were unintentionally hilarious (i.e. the scene where the two girls go to their friends' house who they find standing on the balcony disheveled and staring blankly into space which quickly cuts away to the two girls walking away from the house saying "that was weird" without them actually interacting with her).

I watched Halloween 4 this weekend. Thought it was terrible . H2O was a better sequel and slasher.

Huh. My opinion is pretty much the exact opposite. I found H20 poorly paced and aggressively dull. It's probably my second least favorite of the whole series.

Phantasm definitely gets more wacky with the sequels, especially 2 and 3. 2 is my personal favorite of the series. 3 is a little too zany though. You're probably not going to get your supernatural needs out of the sequels though, it's a science fiction series.

Would you really call it a science fiction series though? I mean, technically, you're absolutely right, it is. I always thought the tone and atmosphere pushed it more into being a horror series than a science fiction one though. Like I wouldn't run out and recommend the Phantasm films to friends who are big science fiction fans that don't like horror.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Not going to disagree with this at all, but I'd honestly be interested in seeing what that movie looked like before the studio got in there and started hacking away. That was one of the most obvious examples of studio fuckery I've seen in a long time. There were two characters whose deaths were shown in the trailer that did not die in the finished film. They weren't minor characters either, one of them was the final girl's love interest and another was one of the core group that summoned Slender Man. Some scenes were cut so badly they were unintentionally hilarious (i.e. the scene where the two girls go to their friends' house who they find standing on the balcony disheveled and staring blankly into space which quickly cuts away to the two girls walking away from the house saying "that was weird" without them actually interacting with her).

Oh yeah. It was all over the place. Its a shame because slender man is an interesting character with interedting lore etc. This movie was just a mess.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
This is a new poster and new trailer lol...

And technically, Halloween has only been rebooted once by RZ...this is a direct sequel to H1.

No, yeah, I know, I'm really looking forward to it actually. The fact that Carpenter is actually doing the score this time around has me very interested. And I'd count H20, the RZ films, and this new one as reboots, since they all invalidate previous movies in the franchise. In H20's case, everything but 1 and 2, in the new film's case, everything but 1, and in RZ's case, all of them. They're reboots at different points along the franchise history I guess?

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
No, yeah, I know, I'm really looking forward to it actually. The fact that Carpenter is actually doing the score this time around has me very interested. And I'd count H20, the RZ films, and this new one as reboots, since they all invalidate previous movies in the franchise. In H20's case, everything but 1 and 2, in the new film's case, everything but 1, and in RZ's case, all of them. They're reboots at different points along the franchise history I guess?

Gotcha...yeah they all seem to take place in different universes lol....some are connected to others, etc.

Super weird.