• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wait this is Virtuos?

That explains everything. This is the team that couldn't get Arkham Asylum to run at 60 FPS on modern consoles

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope good mods are made for the game, outfits, hair styles, face paints, and why not, a graphical overhaul similar to the one for the Witcher 3, one can dream Horizon with better water shaders.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
So, either way this being an exception and like a test gauge for Sony as to port more of its future exclusive to PC, i hope people IF THEY CAN, set aside their expectations and support this port by buying it because if enough people don't buy it, we MAY likely not get future PC ports of 1st party PS4 games. Just look at Dark Souls 1 for example and how it sold well and the future souls games were hell'va lot more optimized and more effort was put into it and honestly, Guerilla outside of performance issues with it, have put a lot of PC friendly options in the game like FoV, customizable controls, a lot of graphical settings, benchmark tool, uncapped FPS, etc. I personally think that this is their first endevour and their inexperience with PC is likely the cause of this and maybe the nature of the PS4 version but please if you can support it, there is a chance that not only we'll get future 1st party PC ports but also much better optimized ones from day 1 because sony will know that a huge audience will be there to buy their games and they're likely to put more effort into it also finally its likely that they'll keep patching this port and make run at more than acceptable levels hopefully.

Sony aren't technically incompetent. We shouldn't support this. And if this is the state of Sony's PC offerings, I don't want em.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
pretty disappointing to see how this is shaping up. i already have it on ps4 but never finished it and was looking forward to giving it a playthrough with proper performance. ill wait until actual release to see how it goes, but i might just purchase othercide instead.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
So, either way this being an exception and like a test gauge for Sony as to port more of its future exclusive to PC, i hope people IF THEY CAN, set aside their expectations and support this port by buying it because if enough people don't buy it, we MAY likely not get future PC ports of 1st party PS4 games. Just look at Dark Souls 1 for example and how it sold well and the future souls games were hell'va lot more optimized and more effort was put into it and honestly, Guerilla outside of performance issues with it, have put a lot of PC friendly options in the game like FoV, customizable controls, a lot of graphical settings, benchmark tool, uncapped FPS, etc. I personally think that this is their first endevour and their inexperience with PC is likely the cause of this and maybe the nature of the PS4 version but please if you can support it, there is a chance that not only we'll get future 1st party PC ports but also much better optimized ones from day 1 because sony will know that a huge audience will be there to buy their games and they're likely to put more effort into it also finally its likely that they'll keep patching this port and make run at more than acceptable levels hopefully.

lol@ this

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I do not think it is reasonable to say this game is unportable - it was just not ported correctly.
Late ports of other games which were console only do not have these issues. A gtx 1060 literally runs like the base ps4 in this game. This is just a terrible Port Job which can be evidence in other areas than performance: many features do not work, menu options do not work, settings do not work, etc. Everything is incompetent here and that probably applies to the usage of the PC APIs, memory Management, EVERYTHING. This game need more time to develop and more resoueces than what it got. It also probably need GG to work on it and not a secobdary Studio known for making unsatisfactory ports.

Like most things, this is a Management issue and priorities issue, not that it was such a unique and special snow fake ps4 Game. GG literally always had a PC version of their engine as they detailed to DF in 2017 - it needed updating and care to produce a viable PC version here and it was not given the proper update or care.

Last edited:

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I do not think it is reasonable to say this game is unportable - it was just not ported correctly.
Late ports of other games which were console only do not have these issues. A gtx 1060 literally runs like the base ps4 in this game. This is just a terrible Port Job which can be evidence in other areas than performance: many features do not work, menu options do not work, settings do not work, etc. It everything is incompetent here and that probably applies to the usage of the PC APIs, memory Management, everything.
Really looking forward to your video Alex! This sounds really rough.. oof.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Who the hell thought Virtuos would be a good fit for a project this significant? Or any project?
They helped with outsourcing for Horizon (PS4) and they have remastered a couple of Sony titles so I guess they just seem the best ones for the job.
Looking at there website, they are more bigger than I thought.

BSherrod

Oct 27, 2017
Can you return Greenman keys or am I just going to have to take this one on the chin. Very disappointed with this one.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
think i can enjoy the game at a lock 50 on my rtx 2080, till a better patch comes. I wont get far in the game but i will enjoy what i can on my ultrawide and steam controller using gyro, something i wanted to do when i played a bit of the game on ps4.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
Late ports of other games which were console only do not have these issues. A gtx 1060 literally runs like the base ps4 in this game. This is just a terrible Port Job which can be evidence in other areas than performance: many features do not work, menu options do not work, settings do not work, etc. Everything is incompetent here and that probably applies to the usage of the PC APIs, memory Management, EVERYTHING. This game need more time to develop and more resoueces than what it got. It also probably need GG to work on it and not a secobdary Studio known for making unsatisfactory ports.

Like most things, this is a Management issue and priorities issue, not that it was such a unique and special snow fake ps4 Game. GG literally always had a PC version of their engine as they detailed to DF in 2017 - it needed updating and care to produce a viable PC version here and it was not given the proper update or care.
Very unfortunate the port is a mess. Looking forward to your analysis though.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018

A shame this is the state the game shipped in :(
I guess I'll have to see how it runs on my machine (2080, 8700k) because I really want to stick with PC for super resolution screenshots.
Looking forward to the DF video!

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Sony ends up fixing this and we get DLSS 2.0 later down the line. Was so hyped and now so disappointed.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Oh good, a shitty outsourced and unoptimized port is going to bring back the 'cOdInG To tHe mEtAl' console magic talking points. As if PC ports don't come out on the regular that actually perform as expected with regards to GPU power compared to the base PS4 or Xbox. In fact one just came out a few weeks ago using the exact same game engine.

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017

What the fuck?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Why would devs keep hiring a studio known for making bad ports. Won't they just have to inevitably spend more to get it fixed?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
There's no mystical Sony magic. Coding discrepancies will in a worst case scenario provide difficult, time consuming roadblocks for PC optimisation, but the fundamental reality of portability and optimisation don't go away. It's just nonsense. With appropriate technical knowledge and skill, the right toolsets, and sufficient time/budget a reasonably optimised and functional port should be more than possible. And it's not like Horizon is technically pushing some outrageous asset quality, scene density, or rendering that doesn't already exist in other games. It's not some unfathomable enigma of a title when put up against modern high end PC hardware.

As if farming out to a secondary party for a quick and dirty port job doesn't often result in botched ports of games that should otherwise run just peachy. This is a tale as old as time and evident here as it is elsewhere.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018

I wonder why we couldn't read/hear this on majority of reviews released yesterday but only things like "there are some minor performance issues"... etc. We even have headlines like "great PC port of amazing PS4 exclusive"... smh...

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

dude, what
honestly this has copypasta potential

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Man, all of this really bums me out. This port was like my most anticipated release of this year that was left.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
dude, what
honestly this has copypasta potential
Sure dude make it one. But iam done making my point that its a game that imo its gonna likely be used as a gauge for future 1st party Sony PC ports. Whether you or some else likes it or not, is another matter due to the potential pretty questionable quality of the port but corporations likely are not like that. Sony gave this game a 1 month long pre order campaign, a press preview for the PC port when they could've shadow dropped it after its announcement or something similar. They clearly have quite a bit of expectations from this port.

EDIT: They can and will likely improve the port with patches in the first few weeks iam sure so its not horrible tbh.

Last edited:

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to see DF's video - it sounds like a complete mess. Will support, but cautious about how this turns out!

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Sure dude make it one. But iam done making my point that its a game that imo its gonna likely be used as a gauge for future 1st party Sony PC ports. Whether you or some else likes it or not, is another matter due to the potential pretty questionable quality of the port but corporations likely are not like that. Sony gave this game a 1 month long pre order campaign, a press preview for the PC port when they could've shadow dropped it after its announcement or something similar. They clearly have quite a bit of expectations from this port.
and if they care, they will try harder
people shouldnt support a poor port just to "show support" especially not when we are talking about a giant corp like sony

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

I don't doubt good intent was behind the port, much of which might have been lost in logistical application of budget, time, and talent selection, but I also don't think people should be expected to throw Sony a bone under the vague possibility that more PC ports will come because of Horizon's success. That is possible, but in the same breath it's equally possible that said encouragement sets a standard of quality followed through by other ports, and you end up in a cycle of shit ports because the market has indicated it's not an issue.

But I also don't think Sony will be overly concerned about Horizon here. Port issues aside I'm confident it'll do well regardless, and probably already has, for a 3+ year old game that's already made bank on its home hardware. It's been sitting pretty cosey on the Steam top sellers despite being a pre-order for some time, and the entry price Sony are asking is relatively very high. It probably doesn't need much of a turnaround to make bank back.

I'm also firmly of the belief, and have been for awhile, that more ports are on the way regardless of Horizon's performance, as Sony dip their toes in the PC market. Reality is the evidence already exists that it's money left on the table. Doesn't matter who made the game; if you put a AAA blockbuster on PC that was otherwise unavailable outside of a specific closed architecture, people will buy it. Even if it's old.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
and if they care, they will try harder
people shouldnt support a poor port just to "show support" especially not when we are talking about a giant corp like sony
They will care when they see the numbers and the sales. This is likely imo.
Again in general, i fuly agree that you should never support a poor port on PC but in this case there are some stakes for the future.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
They will care when they see the numbers and the sales. This is likely imo.
Again in general, i fuly agree that you should never support a poor port on PC but in this case there are some stakes for the future.

They're making it a hard sell. Poor performance and a high price for a game I dont even care about and that looks like it'll bore me to sleep.

Mark It Zero!

Apr 24, 2020
I thought GG was doing the work themselves. I'm still going to try to play on friday, but i was going in thinking a gtx1080 was enough for 1440p60. Damn, man, this whole thing took my hype away.
Looking forward to the DF breakdown.

Thanquol

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 4, 2020
I can run alot of recent games in 1080p with my rx470 and ryzen 3600 but guess I have to forget this game then. Really wanted to give it a try..

Bloodforge

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Well this is a massive disappointment. Was really looking forward to playing through this again on pc, guess I'll wait a bit. Glad I didn't preorder.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw the map screen is stuck in 16:9 when you're playing 21:9, geez

Also judging purely by the footage on YT, this game also uses true 21:9 aspect ratio, meaning it will cause black bars on actual PC monitors lol (same as Death Stranding btw). I hate how they just slap on the support for the resolution and then abuse their low effort as marketing selling point. How does this pass QA? Surely they must be testing it on hardware that is actually being used? You need to test a new aspect ratio anyway, why not go with the one (well, technically two) that are actually used on monitors??

Last edited:

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Does a locked 30fps using another application hold steady? Even if the in game option is busted?

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Eh...I'll wait to see if it gets fixed before buying.

I'm tired of Sony exclusives being treated like the second coming.

I'm not buying a console for ~10 exclusives any more. So port them (well) to PC and I will gladly play. Otherwise, I'll go without and my life will be just fine.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I just saw the map screen is stuck in 16:9 when you're playing 21:9, geez

Also judging purely by the footage on YT, this game also uses true 21:9 aspect ratio, meaning it will cause black bars on actual PC monitors lol (same as Death Stranding btw). I hate how they just slap on the support for the resolution. How does this pass QA? Surely they must be testing it on hardware that is actually being used?

I'm sure they test it, but devs just go "Ehhhh, well enough" and don't adjust or do needed custom assets to have full 21:9 support across the board.

Dialogue scenes in HZD also have these weird frosted(?) looking sidebars vertically on both sides when playing in 21:9, it looks so stupid.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Are the PS4 settings equivalent to High?

If they are, it doesn't seem THAT out of the ordinary in comparison. Death Stranding delivered god tier performance, but I suppose it could have more performance to spare that was being capped at 30 on consoles.

Horizon on the PS4 Pro has either the locked 30 mode which is I believe ~1260p, or the checkerboard 4K which is 30 with dips, especially in towns.

A GTX 1060 seems to be able to deliver locked 30 at 1080p Ultra, or 30 with dips at 1440p High.

I kind of always expect "equal or slightly better than PS4 Pro" with my 1060, which I think this would fit.

From the comparisons, the biggest difference between PS4 Pro and Ultra seems to be Ambient Occlusion, right?

Though I suppose it's not quite scaling as well as it should be with more powerful hardware, but the base results make sense? Seems to be an extremely GPU bound game. The CPU benchmarks by GameGPU indicate that it doesn't require that much for 60 when it comes to the CPU. Kind of on the low end for open world requirements, even? Which would fit with Death Stranding as well.
Nop PS4 setting IS medium x)