• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Just my luck. I didn't count on a shit port and won't be able to refund the game, so I guess I will see how it goes. If my rig can keep it around 30 fps at decent settings I will be happy enough.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Was expecting easy 1080p 60 fps with my gtx 1080 and 3700x combo. Now I'm not sure how bad it will run. Hopefully it's not so rough to push me to refund it.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
Are people in this thread really unwilling to accept that low level access to hardware, and coding to just one (or two) specific, custom APU comes with performance advantages? lol.
Just accept that for the big advantage that PC gaming has: to freely choose your hardware, comes the disadvantage of having game code with more layers of abstraction that will obviously run shittier.

It's not that coding to the metal on fixed hardware does not bring benefits, as much as this game reportedly runs like crap. It is not like graphics and open worlds like these aren't possible on PC, there is even another open world game running ON THE SAME ENGINE that performs much better.

Horizon is a beautiful game, but with the current performance it does not impress at all. Alsonote that some functionality is missing (texture filtering) and there appears to be several bugs.

The game is just not done.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's not that coding to the metal on fixed hardware does not bring benefits, as much as this game reportedly runs like crap. It is not like graphics and open worlds like these aren't possible on PC, there is even another open world game running ON THE SAME ENGINE that performs much better.

Horizon is a beautiful game, but with the current performance it does not impress at all. Alsonote that some functionality is missing (texture filtering) and there appears to be several bugs.

DS is doing a lot less and they may have dropped alot of the GPGPU work GG said was used for HZD. KJP is also a far more competent developer than some random company people outsource labor too.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
DS is doing a lot less and they may have dropped alot of the GPGPU work GG said was used for HZD. KJP is also a far more competent developer than some random company people outsource labor too.
I do not know what to make of this - it is not like running compute on PC isn't a thing. Arguably, that was done before it happened on console (cloth and glass simualtion in Mirror's Edge comes to mind). There is something to be said of the lack of vegetation in DS, but it also pushes geometric detail up very high.

Beyond that, there are games that render very impressive forested landscapes. An example would be RDR2, and while that is also a demanding game, it is even more detailed than HZD - and it seems to run better.

Maybe the explanation is that the dev team wasn't talented enough as you said, or did not have enough time, but that is not the consumer's problem. If the game does not run properly, don't release it.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got this game really cheap compared to its current Steam price because of its early price and the steam sale voucher so I don't feel inclined to refund.
I don't blame folks who paid the current price for considering a refund.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
I do not know what to make of this - it is not like running compute on PC isn't a thing. Arguably, that was done before it happened on console (cloth and glass simualtion in Mirror's Edge comes to mind). There is something to be said of the lack of vegetation in DS, but it also pushes geometric detail up very high.

Beyond that, there are games that render very impressive forested landscapes. An example would be RDR2, and while that is also a demanding game, it is even more detailed than HZD - and it seems to run better.

Maybe the explanation is that the dev team wasn't talented enough as you said, or did not have enough time, but that is not the consumer's problem. If the game does not run properly, don't release it.

well said

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Sad to see that it has performance issues. Here's hoping I can reach 60fps with medium-low settings in 1440p with my PC. Hope they get to patching things up, preferably they'd delay it until they got it running well, alas, this world is not perfect.

Oct 25, 2017
Are the PS4 settings equivalent to High?

If they are, it doesn't seem THAT out of the ordinary in comparison. Death Stranding delivered god tier performance, but I suppose it could have more performance to spare that was being capped at 30 on consoles.

Horizon on the PS4 Pro has either the locked 30 mode which is I believe ~1260p, or the checkerboard 4K which is 30 with dips, especially in towns.

A GTX 1060 seems to be able to deliver locked 30 at 1080p Ultra, or 30 with dips at 1440p High.

I kind of always expect "equal or slightly better than PS4 Pro" with my 1060, which I think this would fit.

From the comparisons, the biggest difference between PS4 Pro and Ultra seems to be Ambient Occlusion, right?

Though I suppose it's not quite scaling as well as it should be with more powerful hardware, but the base results make sense? Seems to be an extremely GPU bound game. The CPU benchmarks by GameGPU indicate that it doesn't require that much for 60 when it comes to the CPU. Kind of on the low end for open world requirements, even? Which would fit with Death Stranding as well.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Compute /= GPGPU necessarily. The latency between CPU and GPU communication in PC makes it an impossibility as done on consoles.

The game runs and certainly works well enough that its going to be released. Vote with your wallet. Raise your standards. Thats how you improve the quality of PC games. As poor as this port is most of you are still going to buy it in droves. Why wouldnt they release it?

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Are people in this thread really unwilling to accept that low level access to hardware, and coding to just one (or two) specific, custom APU comes with performance advantages? lol.
Just accept that for the big advantage that PC gaming has: to freely choose your hardware, comes the disadvantage of having game code that can't really take full advantage of one specific architecture, and with more layers of abstraction that will obviously run shittier.

PS4 has a Jaguar akin to a 7870 from like 8 years ago. That it runs poorly on a 1080ti is not because of the performance advantages of baremetal coding on ancient hardware, it's because the developer hasn't finished porting the game to acceptable performance and they're releasing it before it's done cooking.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to finally play this game but fuck playing it in a broken state.

Since it needs fixing I may as well wait for a sale.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy

Stop comparing Horizon with Death Stranding, the latter doesn't have any day night cycle or one inch of the amount of stuff that Horizon has on screen all the time, for the extent that I was surprised that didn't ran at 60fps on Pro.

Then yeah, the game seems pretty heavy right know but pick DS as an example is quite meh.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Compute /= GPGPU necessarily. The latency between CPU and GPU communication in PC makes it an impossibility as done on consoles.

The game runs and certainly works well enough that its going to be released. Vote with your wallet. Raise your standards. Thats how you improve the quality of PC games. As poor as this port is most of you are still going to buy it in droves. Why wouldnt they release it?
APU's exist on PC too, i think this port could have just used more work.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are the PS4 settings equivalent to High?

If they are, it doesn't seem THAT out of the ordinary in comparison. Death Stranding delivered god tier performance, but I suppose it could have more performance to spare that was being capped at 30 on consoles.

Horizon on the PS4 Pro has either the locked 30 mode which is I believe ~1260p, or the checkerboard 4K which is 30 with dips, especially in towns.

A GTX 1060 seems to be able to deliver locked 30 at 1080p Ultra, or 30 with dips at 1440p High.

I kind of always expect "equal or slightly better than PS4 Pro" with my 1060, which I think this would fit.

From the comparisons, the biggest difference between PS4 Pro and Ultra seems to be Ambient Occlusion, right?

Though I suppose it's not quite scaling as well as it should be with more powerful hardware, but the base results make sense? Seems to be an extremely GPU bound game. The CPU benchmarks by GameGPU indicate that it doesn't require that much for 60 when it comes to the CPU. Kind of on the low end for open world requirements, even? Which would fit with Death Stranding as well.
it seems there's a dedicated PS4 setting called Original or something

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017

Unless you are claiming that only console exclusives make use of this mythical GPGPU (as multiplatforms generally run well), and then only really Sony's titles as MS' games also run well on pc, then that seems unlikely. That is not to say that there can't be noticable bottlenecks when compared to consoles, but everybody else seems to deal with it.

I would also point out that I haven't seen the kind physics this gen as I saw in the PhysX enabled Mirror's Edge back in 2009. You would think that it would be a low bar given all this "coding to the metal".

When it comes to sales: Well, people assumed that a port from Sony would be competent if barebones. Steam also has a liberal return policy. We will see what people do when they get to try the game out.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
German site Computerbase has Benchmarks. Doesn't seem well optimized. 2080 Ti can't run native 4K/60 at Original (!) settings.
www.computerbase.de

Horizon Zero Dawn im Benchmark-Test

Mit Horizon Zero Dawn hat es das nächste PS4-exklusive Spiel auf den PC geschafft. ComputerBase hat sich die Technik genauer angesehen.
Looks like reasonable 1440p performance for 5700 XT, so this still looks like a go for me. Probably gonna wait for a sale though, and I imagine performance will only improve with new drivers and game patches.

Oct 25, 2017
No. The PS4 settings are the equivalent to medium.
Well, even better than I was expecting, then.

It's a SUPER demanding game, extremely hard to get 60, but in comparison to what we can see on consoles (since it does dip below 30), doesn't seem to have particularly bad performance on PC, I think? More of a game/engine issue than a port issue, perhaps?

Fake EDIT: Just noticed the 1050Ti performance, it should not be this bad considering base PS4, nevermind everything I said, then, hahahaha.

I still think the 1060 is delivering the performance I'd expect, but it's scaling poorly both ways, apparently.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Unless you are claiming that only console exclusives make use of this mythical GPGPU (as multiplatforms generally run well), and then only really Sony's titles as MS' games also run well on pc, then that seems unlikely. That is not to say that there can't be noticable bottlenecks when compared to consoles, but everybody else seems to deal with it.

I would also point out that I haven't seen the kind physics this gen as I saw in the PhysX enabled Mirror's Edge back in 2009. You would think that it would be a low bar given all this "coding to the metal".

When it comes to sales: Well, people assumed that a port from Sony would be competent if barebones. Steam also has a liberal return policy. We will see what people do when they get to try the game out.
Sony 1st party games are likely the only games designed with no intention of every being ported anywhere else. Multiplatform games are designed from the start with other platforms in mind. They will make decisions with that knowledge. I dont see how physics or PhysX relate to this tho. GPGPU in this game wasnt used for anything relating to physics.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
My laptop has a GTX 1060, 16GB of RAM, and an i7-8750H. Am I already dead? I was hoping to play this at 1080p at 50-60FPS, even if I had to dial down the settings a lot. :(

Death Stranding ran pretty well for me, so hearing that this port isn't as good is a shame.
Bad news, bud. I tested a near-identical laptop in my article.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we really need to hear this tired "coding to the metal" crap again when the game is launching with known issues (published by the developers themselves) that include bugged anisotropic filtering, shader compilation issues and stutters? The obvious explanation is that the game is being released in an unpolished state that will be fixed later. We just asked for the game to be ported, no need to bring the insufferable console warring over too.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
Sony 1st party games are likely the only games designed with no intention of every being ported anywhere else. Multiplatform games are designed from the start with other platforms in mind. They will make decisions with that knowledge. I dont see how physics or PhysX relate to this tho. GPGPU in this game wasnt used for anything relating to physics.

The games are developed on PC and behind the scenes of both KZSF and HZD have them showing the realtime game simulation running on pc - if I remember correctly I think it is demoed in that video you posted. It is unlikely that they have made an engine that is completely unportable.

It is quite possible that the reasons for the poor showing of the port is the fact that they are using very console centric solutions, but then they need change that when they port a product to sell it.

Apparently this port launch without modern VSYNC support, with no functioning anisotropic filtering and needs to be run in exclusive fullscreen. It is much more likely that it is a poor port, rather than it revealing some fundamental limitation of the PC as a platform.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The games are developed on PC and behind the scenes of both KZSF and HZD have them showing the realtime game simulation running on pc - if I remember correctly I think it is demoed in that video you posted. It is unlikely that they have made an engine that is completely unportable.

It is quite possible that the reasons for the poor showing of the port is the fact that they are using very console centric solutions, but then they need change that when they port a product to sell it.

Apparently this port launch without modern VSYNC support, with no functioning anisotropic filtering and needs to be run in exclusive fullscreen. It is much more likely that it is a poor port, rather than it revealing some fundamental limitation of the PC as a platform.
We will never know the story behind why this port performs the way it does, but its certainly likely that at least part of it is due to whatever workarounds are in place.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
icecold1983
No, we might very well know the story if there is sort of technical interview later - or even somebody researching it by themselves.

I find it fundamentally unconvincing that it isn't possible to port HZD while other developers can port their games - even when a PC port wasn't planned.
The only explanation there would be that Sony use techniques that are practically alien to all other developers, and I find that unlikely.

All this is even more ridiculous given the general state of the port.
I also like that you state authoritatively that we will never know what happened but still feel it is likely that you are right. Can we know or can we not?

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. 30fps lock is currently busted.

arstechnica.com

Horizon Zero Dawn on PC: Not the optimized port we were hoping for

How many of our issues will be ironed out by Friday's launch on Steam?
This is wild. Not uncommon at all, but still wild.

It's just bizarre that games that clearly will only run at 30fps in the vast majority of gaming PCs don't ship with decent native "every other vblank" support. Same with AC Odyssey capping it to 31 instead of 30 through the in-game settings.

Thank God for Nvidia's Half Refresh Rate V-Sync.

It's similar to console games with poor framepacing, I guess, but it hurts more when it's a port of a game with solid frametimes on consoles.

I don't think I've ever had an in game 30fps lock work well in the first place.
The Evil Within 2 is good, Arkham Knight is also decent, but half refresh is still better in my experience. Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair has surprisingly good half refresh support, since it's a game you wouldn't want to play below 60 anyway, though I guess it's there mostly for 120/144hz monitors. Hellpoint recently came out with native half refresh rate support as well, but I didn't test it myself.

But yeah, it's VERY uncommon. Even better when it's a game that doesn't even support higher framerates but the pacing is still bad, like launch Mafia III.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
icecold1983
No, we might very well know the story if there is sort of technical interview later - or even somebody researching it by themselves.

I find it fundamentally unconvincing that it isn't possible to port HZD while other developers can port their games - even when a PC port wasn't planned.
The only explanation there would be that Sony use techniques that are practically alien to all other developers, and I find that unlikely.

All this is even more ridiculous given the general state of the port.
I also like that you state authoritatively that we will never know what happened but still feel it is likely that you are right. Can we know or can we not?
How often do we ever get the details on these situations? I said its likely that at least part of the performance problem is down to the workarounds required for GG's approach to GPGPU. Do you think its more likely that its not an issue at all?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Just accept that for the big advantage that PC gaming has: to freely choose your hardware, comes the disadvantage of having game code that can't really take full advantage of one specific architecture, and with more layers of abstraction that will obviously run shittier.

Problem is, this does not track at all with other games. Like ya know, Death Stranding, which is literally on the same engine and also a pretty graphically intense game with similar performance on PS4.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have it preloaded and ready to go, already finished the game and expansion when they came out on ps4, this will look amazing at 60 fps and wider FOV.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
So, either way this being an exception and like a test gauge for Sony as to port more of its future exclusive to PC, i hope people IF THEY CAN, set aside their expectations and support this port by buying it because if enough people don't buy it, we MAY likely not get future PC ports of 1st party PS4 games. Just look at Dark Souls 1 for example and how it sold well and the future souls games were hell'va lot more optimized and more effort was put into it and honestly, Guerilla outside of performance issues with it, have put a lot of PC friendly options in the game like FoV, customizable controls, a lot of graphical settings, benchmark tool, uncapped FPS, etc. I personally think that this is their first endevour and their inexperience with PC is likely the cause of this and maybe the nature of the PS4 version but please if you can support it, there is a chance that not only we'll get future 1st party PC ports but also much better optimized ones from day 1 because sony will know that a huge audience will be there to buy their games and they're likely to put more effort into it also finally its likely that they'll keep patching this port and make run at more than acceptable levels hopefully.

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
So, either way this being an exception and like a test gauge for Sony as to port more of its future exclusive to PC, i hope people IF THEY CAN, set aside their expectations and support this port by buying it because if enough people don't buy it, we MAY likely not get future PC ports of 1st party PS4 games. Just look at Dark Souls 1 for example and how it sold well and the future souls games were hell'va lot more optimized and more effort was put into it and honestly, Guerilla outside of performance issues with it, have put a lot of PC friendly options in the game like FoV, customizable controls, a lot of graphical settings, benchmark tool, uncapped FPS, etc. I personally think that this is their first endevour and their inexperience with PC is likely the cause of this and maybe the nature of the PS4 version but please if you can support it, there is a chance that not only we'll get future 1st party PC ports but also much better optimized ones from day 1 because sony will know that a huge audience will be there to buy their games and they're likely to put more effort into it also finally its likely that they'll keep patching this port and make run at more than acceptable levels hopefully.

I don't think it's unfair to the consumer to wait for a patched up version of the game before buying it. Isn't that the best way to reward good behavior?

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I don't think it's unfair to the consumer to wait for a patched up version of the game before buying it. Isn't that the best way to reward good behavior?
Ofcourse its not unfair. Iam just explaining why this is a special scenario and an exception as compared to the usual shoddy/bad ports we get from multplats on rare occasions or sometimes and that this release is likely IMO a gauge for their future 1st party ports.

Max A.

Oct 27, 2017
If a lot of people buy their half-assed port why would they put more effort in optimizing their future ones? The options you've listed is the minimum they could have done, every PC game has those settings. A better message would be for people to not buy this and support a great port like Death Stranding instead. I've been waiting for this game for a while and it's super disappointing that this runs like shit, plus the fact that it doesn't even have features like DLSS because AMD is somehow involved in the marketing? No way I'm supporting this.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

A 3 year late port that looks like it might run like doo doo and costs 4 times as much as the PS4 version isn't something worth supporting for the sake of it.