• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They are also prob waiting for that day 1 patch since Sony asked folks not to do test on this before that patch.

Sounds like the day one patch is already out there:

I've re-run all my tests and save files with the day-one patch, and...... yeah, it's not great.

arstechnica.com

Horizon Zero Dawn on PC: Not the optimized port we were hoping for

How many of our issues will be ironed out by Friday's launch on Steam?

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My hope with this version is that the increased framerate and mouse control can make the combat tolerable for me. I had such a rough time playing the PS4 version, the aiming controls just felt so slippery and imprecise which just felt utterly miserable for a game that is completely focused on hitting weak points to do damage.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
amazing how all that hype generated by the initial trailer has dissipated. we all thought that settings menu meant good performance

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Well this is disappointing. Might just refund it for now and buy it if/when the performance improves.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
As a 1080 owner on 1440p this is disappointing. Guess I can hold of praying for a Bloodborne port atleast as I wouldn't be able to run it lol.. :(

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
So to sum up the last 8 pages:

• Game appears to be highly unoptimized.
  • Anyone with a 1080ti can't run the game maxed at 60 fps at 1080p
  • A patch to supposedly fixes performance is coming at launch
That sum it up?

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
www.pcgameshardware.de

Horizon Zero Dawn PC - Die ultimative Version des bildhübschen Hardware-Fressers [Update]

Jetzt aktualisiert: Die ehemalige Playstation-Perle Horizon Zero Dawn im Techniktest bei PCGH, mit Grafikkarten- und Prozessor-Benchmarks.

Annotation2020080520.png
Christ. That is me screwed with a 4K display and 980Ti.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like this port was just to make the PS5 look better.
Lmao. I dont even know why this game is on PC, like what are they hoping to achieve by putting out a marque game so long after the fact and have it perform like shit to boot. Maybe covid might be to blame here for the performance issues but Im baffled by this game's existence on PC for the most part.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
So to sum up the last 8 pages:

• Game appears to be highly unoptimized.
  • Anyone with a 1080ti can't run the game maxed at 60 fps at 1080p
  • A patch to supposedly fixes performance is coming at launch
That sum it up?
Close, but the day 1 patch is already out and impressions are that it doesn't do much to improve performance.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Hol' up a minute, I'm not about to deal with anything less than a consistent, locked 60 FPS at 1440p, max settings on my RTX 2080 so if the port is really that rough, yeah, I'll sit this one out for a while.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the fact I won't be using vsync due to having gsync will allow me to get a locked 60 fps at 1080p on my 1080ti?

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Do we know is this is a CPU or GPU problem? I think i have read that Kojima Productions, changed it how CPU works on Decima for the PC version. Maybe they are using different versions of Decima, and Horizon doesn't have DLSS support and that CPU change.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Hol' up a minute, I'm not about to deal with anything less than a consistent, locked 60 FPS at 1440p, max settings on my RTX 2080 so if the port is really that rough, yeah, I'll sit this one out for a while.
Yeah I have the same card and I was actually looking forward to this game on PC for the eye candy

No DLSS is also a huge bummer :(

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
wait is that really a thing? are there really drops below 60?! i have a 2080 super.
Indeed, the pre-release build of HZD hits 60fps on my best machine... but this requires a considerable downgrade to somewhere around 60 percent of 4K, which can be toggled in an in-game menu. The game includes an automatic resolution-scaling system, which drops the pixel count in order to lock to your preferred frame rate of choice. When I leave the game at "high" settings (not maxed-out, graphically, but close to it), this automatic 60fps slider bumps the pixel count down to roughly 60 percent, as well. That result lines up with other resolution tests on the same system; 1440p, or roughly 44 percent of 4K, runs at 68fps on average with the same "high" settings preset.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...pc-not-the-optimized-port-we-were-hoping-for/

That's on an RTX 2080 Ti. Sounds abhorrent.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

You might be in luck. My 2080Ti can run ~68fps with near-max settings at 1440p, no resolution-scaling necessary. (For me, "near-max" means nearly all settings maxed out, except for shadows and clouds downgraded from "ultra" to "high." The difference is barely noticeable.) The issue is CPU/GPU combos that normally chew through 1080p/60fps content shouldn't necessarily expect that with this port, at least not in its current "day one" patch state.

In the higher-end case, 1440p isn't so bad (though nowhere near the 80-90fps I might expect on avg), but 4K is rough. Really, my Ars article digs into my specific findings from two different systems, and you may be able to triangulate your use case better from there.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Do we know is this is a CPU or GPU problem? I think i have read that Kojima Productions, changed it how CPU works on Decima for the PC version. Maybe they are using different versions of Decima, and Horizon doesn't have DLSS support and that CPU change.
Game won't have good legs for sure considering it's so overpriced and it has shitty performance.
They have to fix this fast before word of mouth spreading.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
You might be in luck. My 2080Ti can run ~68fps with near-max settings at 1440p, no resolution-scaling necessary. (For me, "near-max" means nearly all settings maxed out, except for shadows and clouds downgraded from "ultra" to "high." The difference is barely noticeable.) The issue is CPU/GPU combos that normally chew through 1080p/60fps content shouldn't necessarily expect that with this port, at least not in its current "day one" patch state.

In the higher-end case, 1440p isn't so bad (though nowhere near the 80-90fps I might expect on avg), but 4K is rough. Really, my Ars article digs into my specific findings from two different systems, and you may be able to triangulate your use case better from there.

If I am running the game on your rig with a 1080ti and gsync could I hit 60 fps locked at max settings at 1080p?

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. Sitting this one out for now. Will be very interested in seeing how much post launch support the game gets on PC because I'm not confident in Sony's PC commitment.

Jimbojim

Jan 10, 2018
what kind of fps should I expect with a

i5-8600k @4.6ghz
msi duke gtx 1080 Ti @ stock speed
16gb RAM

on a 1440p@144hz monitor?