• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 5, 2017
I'm sure these issues will be fixed in due time. Not a great first impression, but I'm hopeful, that like with Batman Arkham City, this game will become a decent PC port in due time.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I know, that's why I said Sony first party games. Death Stranding isn't made by a Playstation studio. It's an (timed) exclusive PS4 game by a third party developer. Sony aren't going to partner with Nvidia.

It's unfortunate that both Microsoft and Sony games on PC won't have DLSS. It really should be standard somehow.

VoidCommunications

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2020
As someone who's programmed engines before and poked around in source (big C++ fan here). This story made me so mad. That reddit post is pure idiocy - plain and simple. Just a programmer who does something else stepping in shit they don't understand.

Like, it's really common in real-time systems to have a piece of code dedicated to crashing the system. Real-time systems are basically super complicated programs that should not be allowed to fail often. It seems counterintuitive, but if at any moment things seem a little off "This instrument isn't working, this sensor didn't start, the GPU isn't responding", the code gets called and the system crashes. Then a debug log can be examined to see how the assumptions got ruined, and the developer fixes that.

If you just let the game / engine keep going, it may be ok. Or it may break more assumptions and things may get really scary. If you're programming a rocket engine, then "really scary" means "I could blow up". Originally some systems did try and recover, and in the end they often ended up in a continual bugged state. The safest thing to do is to just crash. Much like just restarting your computer, it's the "Oh shit" button that will probably fix most things. Just restart the program.

For a game, it's the same. You don't want to accidentally fill the hell out of the GPU, or take all of the systems RAM, or spin all the threads on the CPU. So if some of your assumptions get broken, MAKE IT CRASH. And to make it crash, you call a function that's "obviously" wrong.

Also love the comments using it as an excuse to call Chinese programmers stupid. You can always count on Reddit for being both stupid and racist. Chinese programmers are on point. Any sterotypes about them being "less creative" or something is total bullshit. I swear some Chinese devs have more of the hacker mindset than some of these coddled script kiddies coming out of college.

EDIT: Gotta also love the OP admitting they don't know what they're talking about, but then doubling down on the devs being awful at coding.

BAXNVQi.png

Last edited:

Zedelima

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
I remember having to edit a .ini file to remove the 30fps cap in the PC version of Arkham Knight. That was something.
Not only that. The rain sharder of Batman armor was bugged/not ported...i mean, is something you see the entire game
Also it crashed once at 2 hours on my pc, and the performance was fucking shit

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Sony's first party PC games will never have DLSS, since they will always partner with AMD for obvious reasons.

amdzerodawn.jpg
We can only hope that DLS 3.0 rumor was actually true, in that Nvidia figures out how to make DLSS automatically work with any game that uses TAA.

I'm starting to actively despise AMD all of a sudden.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
They couldn't even get features added specifically for PC right, the new foliage interaction (not just high grass) is new to PC but the animation of those are also capped at 30fps...

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This is like peeling an onion layer by layer at this point. What a shame, HZD and PC players both deserved a better port.

At this point I might just suck it up and play the game on my PS4 (since I already have the PS4 version). It's going to be a while before the laundry list of issues gets fixed.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to actively despise AMD all of a sudden.
I mean even forgoing the precise key reason why DLSS 3.0 would have farther ranging support vs DLSS 2.0 (e.g DLSS 2.0 requires individual work on Nvidia's end to get it running and thus Nvidia won't do it unless it's going be part of a partnered program: I don't think it's AMD locking them out specifically) , Nvidia's the last company to get worried about a company hypothetically locking out competitors from properly working with some game devs due to a partner program being involved. :v

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I ran into two NPC dialogue sections back to back and one of them had 30fps facial expressions while the other was animating property at 60 and then another one I found later 30 again. So it seems like is a mixture. What a mess. The major cut scenes seem to be all 30fps facials though.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'm wondering if Sony knew the port was in a poor state and decided to release it anyway, you'd assume they have the knowledge of how they product gonna be released and, what's they end goal here?

Of course Sony knew it was in a terrible state and released it anyways.

What is the other scenario? That they just told Virtuos to port the game and release it whenever Virtuos felt like it?

There is a large publishing team at Sony with many producers, QA, etc... all running this project. They all knew it was broken.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I'm glad I haven't had to deal with any crashes or performance issues. I do hope they fix the port though, not everyone can brute force their way through the game.

Deleted member 2152

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course Sony knew it was in a terrible state and released it anyways.

What is the other scenario? That they just told Virtuos to port the game and release it whenever Virtuos felt like it?

There is a large publishing team at Sony with many producers, QA, etc... all running this project. They all knew it was broken.
It's a shame that in all the broken ports across all platforms that nobody seems to get held accountable (by this I mean the company doesn't admit to the problems and claims only a minority of users are experiencing issues), things rarely improve much (if at all), and the consumer takes the blame for "poor sales." It's a lose-lose situation and it's frustrating that publishers usually opt to release things in this state because of marketing expenses. Seems like the product of poor management or lack of care, idk which is worse.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I maintain, as I did when this was announced, that the only reason this is on PC at all is because Decima work done by Kojima Productions allowed a quick and cheap port since work was already there.

If you think you'll get other PS franchises on PC, unless they use Decima, then you're deluding yourself.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I maintain, as I did when this was announced, that the only reason this is on PC at all is because Decima work done by Kojima Productions allowed a quick and cheap port since work was already there.

If you think you'll get other PS franchises on PC, unless they use Decima, then you're deluding yourself.

This is correct. It's not a change in policy or direction, it's just an opportunity presented due to Death Stranding's PC version. And we can see how seriously they took it. I wouldn't be expecting TLOU2 on PC or anything.

Chris_Rivera

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

GG maintained a PC build of the game in some form, apparently.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Really hope a game being powered by Decima isn't a requirement for Sony to pony up a PC port since that pretty much only leaves Killzone Shadowfall and Until Dawn as candidates for currently released titles.

Just gonna hope this port gets fixed up and sells great so that Sony is incentivize to give us more. Not expecting any day on day PS5 ports but I don't see the harm in some of their older PS4 catalog throughout the PS5 generation. I wanna see the next PC release by Sony do better at launch because this one isn't it right now.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I ran into two NPC dialogue sections back to back and one of them had 30fps facial expressions while the other was animating property at 60 and then another one I found later 30 again. So it seems like is a mixture. What a mess. The major cut scenes seem to be all 30fps facials though.

I keep seeing this and I'm not sure what this means. The game on PS4 had pretty bad lip sync. Is that what people are talking about? Because it was real bad on console too.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I keep seeing this and I'm not sure what this means. The game on PS4 had pretty bad lip sync. Is that what people are talking about? Because it was real bad on console too.
I'm not referring to the quality of the lip sync animation. I'm referring to the frame rate as which the the animations update. The quality is the same, but the fluidity of their movement differs between NPCs dialogue sections. Hope that clears it up.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
this port reminds me of the same amount of effort Sony put into their PS1 Mini, as in not a lot at all. You'd think the possibility of millions of sales would entice a better port..

Virtuos must be real cheap compared to the competition I guess.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
So the snow thing not being mentioned anywhere means reviewers didn't even bother to play the DLC to check it?

Or they didn't realize there was supposed to be snow deformation because they didn't play the original on the PS4. The DLC unlocks I believe after you get to Meridian which is a fair bit into the game. Could be faulty memory though.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone always thought Sony's message with this port was going to be:
Love how beautifully polished this game is? Well, wait till you play the sequel on PS5!
Turns out it rather was:
Hate how awfully unpolished this game is? Well, then better play the sequel on PS5!
;)

theslb

Nov 15, 2017
Or they didn't realize there was supposed to be snow deformation because they didn't play the original on the PS4. The DLC unlocks I believe after you get to Meridian which is a fair bit into the game. Could be faulty memory though.
I've got a mission for the Frozen Wilds pretty early on the game but its says level 30.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Nixxes and QLOC are by far the best PC porting studios if publishers are willing to not be cheap.

And Nixxes is even based in The Netherlands like GG, but nope let's be even cheap and outsource all the way to China.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This reminds me of the first resident evil 4 PC Port. I played that shit and it was horrendous.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Nixxes and QLOC are by far the best PC porting studios if publishers are willing to not be cheap.

And Nixxes is even based in The Netherlands like GG, but nope let's be even cheap and outsource all the way to China.

They're a Singaporean company which has offices all over the place. Not sure why you're singling out China here.

I've got a mission for the Frozen Wilds pretty early on the game but its says level 30.

Right wasn't sure when it unlocked. I don't recommend going up there early game though.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this is an impact of WFH and not having hardware readily available for testing.

Really hope Sony make an effort to set this right. Releasing in this state is not really acceptable.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Guerilla really need to bring this thing in house and sort it out.

This is a bad look for sure.