• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Market doesnt work that way, the vast majority of people who buys AAA games are still men. If games like Gears 5 or TLOU2 help to get more women into gaming we will see good results of this initiative, if not... I dont know.

I'm not inquiring about how the market works, I was only noting that those games represent a small percentage of the total of mainstream games released.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
And flirted quite a bit with Petra and Vanasha as they flirted her sooo... calling Aloy just flat straight feels off.

But yeah, Varl got more obvious love interest nods which I found somewhat funny considering how little screen time he has and how little he develops as character when compared to most of the cast.

Wow, I was completely oblivious to her flirting with Petra. I thought it was more of an adoration born out of respect for Petra's crafting ingenuity.

At this point, I would even take a straight relationship because, as someone here already put, the notion that a female lead engaging in romance would buck the perception of her strength is true and imho more so in a straight relationship where the straight male player vicariously has to love and bed another man (NPC) through the eyes of a woman.

And full disclosure: I am a mostly straight guy and I would feel awkward if I could not dissociate myself from the female protagonist when knocking boots with another guy.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
☑ white
☑ straight
☑ cis
☑ able-bodied
☐ male

progress

This is honestly ridiculous, and is exactly what right-wing gamers think developers do when it comes to diversity. They think that they aren't genuine about it and instead literally have a checklist of things that they try to tick off when creating a character. No one should approach characters like that.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Karnov?

Karnov_game_flyer.png

Karnov_ARC_Stage8_a.png

That six pack and shredded muscles all around look like fat to you?

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
This reminds me that I should probably get around to playing the game.

I have a Native American buddy with an Aloy tattoo. She's got a whole gaming influences sleeve going on. We should sit the two of them down and let them know the shame they are bringing to their people.

It truly is pathetic. It's the exact same thing like a white person telling an African American they should be offended by something. No, you're not part of that culture, stop trying to be woke white hero. Maybe they have some first Nations influences because it's a cool fascinating culture and aesthetic? There's also Roman and Nordic influences that no one seems to mention. To me it looks like they just picked up ancient cultures that they think are cool

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
This reminds me of when white people said that Mario in a sombrero and poncho was cultural appropriation and were getting outraged for us while us Mexicans not only didn't give a damn but loved and embraced fully Mario in a sombrero.

That's because 90% of the people who complain about cultural appropriation are complaining about one that isn't theirs.

How ironic that they are interjecting on another cultures behalf as though they have the grounds to speak on it and somehow see nothing wrong with that.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Thanks for allowing your wife to be the representative of all indigenous persons

Are you part of the culture? Because if you're not, stop trying to tell people what they should be offended by like a hero. I guess I should just walk up to an African American and let them know they shouldn't listen to Rap because the lyrics set a bad stereotype (I don't believe that, just for sake of arguement)

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
That's because 90% of the people who complain about cultural appropriation are complaining about one that isn't theirs.

How ironic that they are interjecting on another cultures behalf as though they have the grounds to speak on it and somehow see nothing wrong with that.

The sad part is if studios are just going to be blamed for appropriation every time they choose to take influence and pay homage because they think something is really cool ....I wouldn't blame them for saying fuck it and going generic safe

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Are you part of the culture? Because if you're not, stop trying to tell people what they should be offended by like a hero. I guess I should just walk up to an African American and let them know they shouldn't listen to Rap because the lyrics set a bad stereotype (I don't believe that, just for sake of arguement)

I never said anything about you should be, or being offended but damn there are some eye raising quotables in this post

All I said was 'i sleep' and you went in that direction

AB (^_^)

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
Female leads... I'm its on a case by case scenario.

Is not that there no games with female leads, but more of a case where it makes sense for their roles. I think is more of a personality thing.

We have Metroid, Tomb Raider, and Resident Evil 1 with female leads (well you can chose but she has her own version of the story so it counts).

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
The day Rockstar makes an exclusively female lead GTA game, it will be the true watershed moment. Until then more please!

What?

First making a Female lead shouldn't be a big thing it should be basic, And Why are you saying a GTA female lead is somehow better then any others but i know if they did it get headline and hate when it should be everyday thing that happens

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I see what you are saying Op , developers doesn't need to be afraid of female protagonist and we need/ appreciate original ip, diversity and HZD is a good example.

Just wanted to point out that Ubisoft really deserves more cred for .. ehh... creed.
I really like what they where doing with assassin's creed odyssey and before anyone calls out the dlc ending controversy... they listened to people and corrected it.

I really liked assassin's creed odyssey, it the first game I bought season pass for.

Edit: more choice in videogame. There is no reason (well exept developing costs) that you shouldet be able to choose

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I have always thought that most people just want interesting and compelling characters. I don't believe Horizon would have sold differently to any significant degree if the lead was male but, all other things being equal, if they weren't as cool as Aloy, or portrayed as well as Ashly Burch's performance, then it could definitely have sold worse.

I know some people scoff at "generic" white male characters but there are plenty of great ones and not all white male characters are remotely the same beyond those two attributes. Likewise Aloy isn't just a woman, Lee Everett isn't just black, Ellie isn't just gay and Senua isn't just someone with a mental disorder. That is not to say this representation isn't important because it absolutely is but more than that they are interesting, relatable characters that lots of people love. The thing publishers should take from any of these characters being popular and their games selling well is that if you put the care and effort into creating unique and compelling characters then it will likely pay off.

Aside from the risk-averse publisher aspect I don't believe we'll ever truly get a reasonable level of representation until that is reflected on development teams. You don't have to be a woman to create a female character and you don't have to be black to write a black character but people are going to naturally gravitate to what they know and to create the best minority characters you're probably going to need direct input from people of a similar background. It appears from the outside the trends are going in the right direction but the majority of senior staff of development studios still seem to be white males, presumably straight too.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Out of all those games you mentioned, only RE3 and the first Dino Crisis (which sold better than the second) was the only one to have an exclusive female lead, all the others had a mixed cast. Hmmmm. And I guess its now ERA revisionist history that RE3 was somehow a bomb despite just the PS version selling 3.5 million copies, ths is the 3rd time i've seen this mentioned. Its been ported to a ton of systems and released digitally so I assume that number is probably higher by now.

The PSOne version of RE3 sold worse than the PSOne version of RE2. Both games were ported to other platforms as well, though those sales were negligible (less than a million, which is why they aren't listed on Capcom's Platinum page). When a sequel sells worse than its predecessor, that's bad. Same applies to Dino Crisis.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
It is a progress. It can send a message that a game can sell quite well with a female lead, even if she is not overly sexualised. It only needs to be a good game (and have decent marketing).

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Edit: spoiler tagged.
Aloy is a borderline white savior figure that ends up basically being Jesus and literally isn't a part of the cultures in which she lives, created solely to save the population from its own, sometimes self inflicted ignorance. This is in addition to the offputing religious zealotry of the Nora through their treatment of Aloy initially to the discovery that she's basicslly Jesus.
Horizon probably meant well but there is a lot going on that I consider disrespectful at the very least.

Aloy is a white savior? We're acting like Aloy gets a teaching job in the toughest low income neighborhood and teaches all the kids about their "inner beauty" and helps them finally get straight A's. I forgot about that plot point halfway through the game where Aloy took in a young homeless black football player and helped him through college with nothing but the kindness of her heart.

I think the game would fit the trope if Aloy was framed as constantly solving the plights of helpless non-whites and if there was an attempt to assuage "white guilt" which I never got from this game.

Considering the diversity throughout the game and how refreshing it was to see, I don't look at it that cynically. Rather she and Sobeck are strong female characters at the forefront of the story.

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
How do people even come to the conclusion this was because of the female lead? I mean both games are straight up inferior to series highlights like RE 2 or 4 and while RE 3 launched at the very end of the PSX lifecycle with some franchise fatigue kicking in (same could be said about CV btw.) Code Veronica was a fucking Dreamcast exclusive at launch.

Well, there's a point to be made that Capcom made a cheaper mainline RE game because of a female lead and they expected less sales. Just look at Warner Brothers who made a cheaper SH movie with Wonder Woman (compared to Man of Steel specifically) since they probably weren't that optimistic about it's box office gross.

When looking at pure numbers, there's no doubt that data has not been favorable to women in geeky business and the suits will usually pay less when creative opt for it. Sony is an exception to the rule and I'm sure others will slowly but surely follow such as Gears 5 which is bucking the trend with a female lead. Let's see if Microsoft can get a winner in their hands and fight off the possible toxicity given the fanbase of that franchise. If anything, the success of HZD prove that games with female leads need just as high a budget and production values (and marketing). TLOU 2 will be a monster hit because Naughty Dogs is going all in and the graphics + animations are just next level so I'm sure it's anything but a cheap game.

A potential Resident Evil 3 remake is intriguing given the reception of the original, so I wonder if Capcom would be willing to go all in and give us an awesome remake that could easily improve upon the original if they were to spend the proper budget on it (another game which would serve as a study case lol).

Feb 8, 2018
User banned (7 days): Sexism
meh, many games wanted to be the new Tomb raider this gen. Yes I understand that the amount of female players is rising by the year but who says that many of them don't prefer playing as a male? I don't mind playing as a female but a logical context needs to be there. A small lady will not be able to overpower taller female/male enemies with physical strenght

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
A potential Resident Evil 3 remake is intriguing given the reception of the original, so I wonder if Capcom would be willing to go all in and give us an awesome remake that could easily improve upon the original if they were to spend the proper budget on it (another game which would serve as a study case lol).

Just as long as they don't give Carlos half the main campaign, as some people think they should.

I have no doubts R3make can sell as much as RE2 and RE7, assuming a similar quality. Jill and Nemesis can do it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
meh, many games wanted to be the new Tomb raider this gen. Yes I understand that the amount of female players is rising by the year but who says that many of them don't prefer playing as a male? I don't mind playing as a female but a logical context needs to be there. A small lady will not be able to overpower taller female/male enemies with physical strenght

So, physical size and muscle strength are the only two qualifiers upon which games are built?

Not is this an utterly imbecilic argument but by that standard, myriad games would be instantly disqualified, even whilst featuring male protagonists.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018
So, physical size and muscle strength are the only two qualifiers upon which games are built?

Not is this an utterly imbecilic argument but by that standard, myriad games would be instantly disqualified, even whilst featuring male protagonists.

the hell? take it easy. Sorry for not making it obvious enough that I was not talking about myriad ,fantasy or fighting games but games that attempt to have more realistic fights in them. Then again Uncharted or Tomb raider aren't realistic in that sense, but if 4 huge muscular guys go at a gun and weapon-less nathan he wouldn't stand a chance. That's why it doesn't happen.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not trying to dismiss the achievement, but I wonder how many people bought the game for the graphics/cool as fuck robot dinosaurs, and not because of a female protagonist.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Not trying to dismiss the achievement, but I wonder how many people bought the game for the graphics/cool as fuck robot dinosaurs, and not because of a female protagonist.

Ah, but that's the whole point though Skipper. That people didn't go "Oh, I like this game but it has a woman. Pass."they were more than happy to play as her.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
the hell? take it easy. Sorry for not making it obvious enough that I was not talking about myriad ,fantasy or fighting games but games that attempt to have more realistic fights in them. Then again Uncharted or Tomb raider aren't realistic in that sense, but if 4 huge muscular guys go at a gun and weapon-less nathan he wouldn't stand a chance. That's why it doesn't happen.
I know you're banned, but I have to question what you believe a realistic fight actually is. Nathan Drake has literally gunned down over 1000 trained mercenaries over the course of the Uncharted games, often engaging in big prolonged shootouts with dozens of foes and just tanking through countless bullet wounds. The closest real life equivalents we have are people like Simo Häyhä, "The White Death", who was an expert marksman with a home field advantage waging stealth guerrilla tactics against disorganized Soviets over the course of a hundred days... And he still ended up with a shattered lower jaw when someone actually managed to tag him.

Dec 15, 2017
Not a fan of the thread title, sounds like developers have the obligation to do something. I'd rather let them choose to do what they feel like doing. That being said The right thing is releasing quality games with proper optimization for the target platforms, like Horizon Zero Dawn. As long as the game is good, I'll play it.
I understand the OPs PoV but again, not a fan of the thread title.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of the thread title, sounds like developers have the obligation to do something. I'd rather let them choose to do what they feel like doing. That being said The right thing is releasing quality games with proper optimization for the target platforms, like Horizon Zero Dawn. As long as the game is good, I'll play it.
I understand the OPs PoV but again, not a fan of the thread title.

If you genuinely believe in diversity and equal representation, then yes, we all have an obligation. Especially media creators since it has such a huge impact on people's world views.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
So if a game doesn't have a female lead it's not doing "the right thing"?
Yeah a game can have male or female character and do the 'right thing' it does sounds a little weird.

However there is much value in more diversity in gaming so more women and nonwhite leads, hell even aliens.

Horizon and Romb Raider success is pretty great , we are seeing more women lead games now just not used in the AAA space that much. The first and only Samus Aran is coming back too, though she had a problematic history when they tried to show the woman behind the metal suit